Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Gaming disorder' deemed an official illness by World Health Organization

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
https://www.cnet.com/news/world-health-organization-deems-gaming-disorder-an-official-illness/

Perhaps what pushed them over the top on this hotly debated issue is people's increasing willingness to play lousy games.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

SovrathGyva02AlBQuirkyGorweJeffSpicoliGaladournKyleran

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I heard it was because they all believed playing the Witcher made devil worshippers outta the kids. :D
    AmatheAlBQuirkyKyleran

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    A great excuse to pump kids with drugs, guilt free.
    GdemamiGorweJeffSpicoliOctagon7711ConstantineMerusbcbullyKyleran
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    WHO is more about politics than science
    AlBQuirkyJeffSpicoliAdamantine
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Hasn't this been announced already a couple of years ago? 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Maybe it's like the Beatles from that new movie coming out, Yesterday.
    Kyleran

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I have the opposite disorder.  I really, really want to play a game but they just don't make enough of the ones I like so I'm batshit crazy due to the lack of playing anything.  

The sad part is I was mostly weened off but then there was a big rpg resurgence around 2014 and it was like the good ol' days again for a couple years.  Things were good for a while, and then people realized they don't actually like real rpgs and just like hipster bullshit with lite rpg elements.  So now I'm going through major withdrawals and all the slicky boy glad hands keep bragging about their huge backlog to rub my face in it.  

I'd feel bad for the people afflicted with this WHO designation, but its hard to find pity for people who could easily be cured by simply having better taste in games, and then they could join me in my self-diagnosed affliction of having tons of demand and no supply.  First world problems, right?
    GdemamiOctagon7711GilcroixKyleranp4ttythep3rf3ctAdamantine
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Maybe its "Official" now and not before? Not sure but I agree that this should be considered a real problem like gambing/drus/alcohol. 

I use to be a bad person, drugs, law breaking, expelled from 3 diffrent highschools. I smoked crack as a drug of choice, unfortunatly i always been good at making money so i was smoking propbably $1000 a day (street value not what i paid so about 2 balls a day and not everyday but 75 pct of the week for the last year or so) I smoked weed at 15 till 17 then from 17 to 22 was crack . I was a bad addict, couldnt stop myself. When I was incarcerated I had to do anger  managements, drug councelling and such. However seeing how it was easy to obtain said item on the inside, didnt work all that well. 

When I was 22 I had I came home 1 day to find out my GF was preggo (I knew her lady timing was off that month so it was a semi surprise) When this happened, it felt like being hit with a freight train. My whole life just flipped cause now, it wasnt about me. There was going to be a living, breathing life relying on me,I had pending charges so I turned myself in, when i got to court I pleaded with the judge to just incarcerate me for several months and fine me up the rear because i wanted to be there when the baby was born. That I understand what I had to do. They werent serious charges like murder and rape, but like bar fights possesion and such, so thats what he did. 6 Months in jail 1 year on house arrest 

I didnt goto therapy, or anything considered "help". I coulda took methadone but thats just another drug so whats the point. "Cold Turkey" was the way and to full success. During the process however i had to take a urine screen ever Wednesday for 3 years to prove i was clean (condition of my sentence) if I didnt show up for that screen i would be arrested (1 day i was held up at my job they came to my job arrested me and held me for the week till my next screening.
    Now im no longer an addict (my last hit was 14 years ago) 

Addictions are very serious and come in many forms, I highly promote articles like that to keep it fresh in peoples minds, and for there to be services for people to turn too if need be.

(Sorry for the life story, but it shows my exp with addictions, I also have a brother that ODed 8 years ago from heroine, unfortunatly my story couldnt help him, but hopefully someday will help someone)
    SovrathUngoodGorweAmatheConstantineMerusHashbrickKyleranlaseritPhaserlightSirAgravaine
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

(Sorry for the life story, but it shows my exp with addictions,...)
    Good for you for getting your life back on track for your kid.  I salute you and hope you are able to stay on it and stay clean and continue to do right by your family.  
    AmatheKyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    No. This issue has come up before, and announcements have been made about it - one way or another - by other groups and institutions before, but the WHO announcement is new.
    ConstantineMerus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    No. This issue has come up before, and announcements have been made about it - one way or another - by other groups and institutions before, but the WHO announcement is new.
    Yeah I looked it up. WHO had outlined the 11th revision back in '18 and this site had covered that. I thought it was finalized back then, but yeah the approval is new. 
    Amathe

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Xasapis said:

Gota love Big Pharma 

Galadourn
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Xasapis said:

I am curious: to what end?  Do folks think parents seek out drugs for their children for the sake of merely drugging children?

I've never met a single parent in my life who actively sought ways to medicate a child for anything short of an illness diagnosed by a doctor.  It's not like parents are just taking kids to their PCP and going "gimme those video game drugs!"
    Gdemami

DMKano said:
    Xasapis said:

Except that game addiction is not treated with drugs but with therapy.

Behavior modification and counseling - that's how its done.

Non substance addiction disorders are rarely if ever treated with medication.

O don't you worry, they will come up with something, I promise you that
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited June 2019
    Xasapis said:

I am curious: to what end?  Do folks think parents seek out drugs for their children for the sake of merely drugging children?

I've never met a single parent in my life who actively sought ways to medicate a child for anything short of an illness diagnosed by a doctor.  It's not like parents are just taking kids to their PCP and going "gimme those video game drugs!"
    There are parents who actively seeking to medicate their children in different ways. There are parents who don't vaccinate their children. They are parents who kill and eat their children. 

If you haven't met any, doesn't mean they don't exist. Just browse social media pages and you can read a ton of fucked up stuff on a daily basis. 

• MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Well, I'd normally apply for a government block grant so I could personally study the disorder, however there is not currently anything I'm interested in playing...…...
    Kyleran
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Xasapis said:

Health care companies push doctors to push drugs and most people go along with it because we've been taught that doctors always know what their doing.  People who work in the industry know that doctors are just regular people and can make mistakes like the rest of us, google is often their best friend also.
    JeffSpicoliAmatheConstantineMerus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Xasapis said:

Health care companies push doctors to push drugs and most people go along with it because we've been taught that doctors always know what their doing.  People who work in the industry know that doctors are just regular people and can make mistakes like the rest of us, google is often their best friend also.
    We really need a Thank you button on MMORPG
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited June 2019
    DMKano said:
    Xasapis said:

Sorry mate, this just isn't true. 

From PsychGuides.com on Video Game Addiction Treatment

"Treatment for video game addiction is similar to that for other addictions. Counseling and behavior modification are the primary means of treating addicted gamers. Together, individual and family counseling are powerful treatment tools. Some treatment facilities incorporate medication in their programs."

"Although clinical trials are in the early stages, there is some indication that certain medications help video game addicts by altering their brain chemistry to reduce the urge to play. Buproprion, in particular, has appeared to offer help to some addicts by inhibiting norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake. A six-week trial showed that those taking the drug experienced fewer cravings to play."

I can find a lot more resources, clinical trials, research and articles regarding similar methods. And this is just the beginning. When there's a disease/disorder, there's a market. When there's a market, there are going to be products. 

Psychiatry is based on medications, not therapy.
    JeffSpicoli

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    ConstantineMerus said:
    And this is just the beginning. When there's a disease/disorder, there's a market. When there's a market, there are going to be products. 
    ...not a begging at all, this has been going as long as psychiatry/psychology "existed".

There is 3 times more "official disorders" than there was in the 50thies.

The result? Nearly 50% of Americans suffer some form of disorder in their life-time - and plenty of drugs to prescribe.

Just from the recent itteration, if you visit France and you happen to be Japanese origin, you should beware of Paris syndom but neither Italy seem to be safe since you can get struck by Florance syndrome if you visit a city of the same name.

Psychiatry/psychology is just a comedy...altough very lucrative one...
    ConstantineMerusKyleran
    edited June 2019
    Xasapis said:

I don't doubt it- none of that proves an epidemic of parents seeking to superfluously medicate kids, though.

EDIT- also, the idea that doctors are overmedicating isn't that clear-cut, either:

"While blaming psychiatrists, parents, schools, or drug companies might seem legitimate, some of the facts just don’t fit. First, most of the prescriptions for stimulant drugs and antidepressants are not from psychiatrists.6 In fact, outside of a few major cities, families in much of the nation have very limited access to child psychiatrists. Blaming parents is easy, but as Judith Warner argues in her book, We’ve Got Issues, most parents resist medication rather than request it.7 Schools in many parts of the country have reduced unstructured time, but the increase in medication is now seen in toddlers, years before children begin school. And drug companies, while frequently maligned, have reduced, not increased, their marketing budgets in the US.8

If psychiatrists, parents, schools, or drug companies are not the culprit, who is? The answer is potentially more complicated and more worrisome. Is it possible that the increased use of medication is not the problem but a symptom? What if more children were struggling with severe psychiatric problems and actually the problem was not over-treatment but increased need? Surely, if we discovered more children were being treated for diabetes or immune problems, we wouldn’t blame the providers or the parents. We’d be asking what drives the increase in incidence. And, there actually are large increases in the incidence of Type I diabetes and food allergies."

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/directors/thomas-insel/blog/2014/are-children-overmedicated.shtml

This isn't something that can be reduced down to "if A, then B."

GdemamiUngood

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    What about the physical ailments of this brutal disease?? Wrist pain, digit numbness. Are they at least gonna prescribe some percs??? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    DMKano said:
    Xasapis said:

Sorry mate, this just isn't true. 

From PsychGuides.com on Video Game Addiction Treatment

"Treatment for video game addiction is similar to that for other addictions. Counseling and behavior modification are the primary means of treating addicted gamers. Together, individual and family counseling are powerful treatment tools. Some treatment facilities incorporate medication in their programs."

"Although clinical trials are in the early stages, there is some indication that certain medications help video game addicts by altering their brain chemistry to reduce the urge to play. Buproprion, in particular, has appeared to offer help to some addicts by inhibiting norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake. A six-week trial showed that those taking the drug experienced fewer cravings to play."

I can find a lot more resources, clinical trials, research and articles regarding similar methods. And this is just the beginning. When there's a disease/disorder, there's a market. When there's a market, there are going to be products. 

Psychiatry is based on medications, not therapy.
    The syndromes you're trying to use to justify your position aren't conditions recognized by the medical community.

Might as well use leeches to argue blood transfusions are useless.
    GdemamiKyleran

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The 50s were almost 70 years ago. There have been quite a few advancements in science and medicine since then. For example, physicians no longer endorse cigarettes in advertisements. Lobotomies are no longer done. The list goes on and on. But the fact of progress in knowledge is not a sound basis to deny new knowledge. 

MadFrenchieGdemamiJeffSpicoli

Amathe said:
    The 50s were almost 70 years ago. There have been quite a few advancements in science and medicine since then. For example, physicians no longer endorse cigarettes in advertisements. Lobotomies are no longer done. The list goes on and on. But the fact of progress in knowledge is not a sound basis to deny new knowledge. 

It also isn't just psychological illnesses that have been measured on the rise in youth.  Physical illnesses are also on the rise, and it's not some scheme to sell insulin.
    Gdemami

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Amathe said:

...maybe re-read your own post and try to think what's wrong with it.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoli