Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: End of the Beginning - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2: End of the Beginning - MMORPG.com

GW2 has only been out since 2012, and we are just a few months shy of it being seven years since then. However, the first tendrils of the GW2 story came with the release of Ghosts of Ascalon in 2009 and then continued in earnest with Edge of Destiny in 2010. There’s also some threads and questions which have only gotten the answers to recently, while others we sort of have an answer to? Let’s take a closer look at the long winding story of GW2 so far.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited June 2019
    nah we just need to kill all the elder dragons so the game has an ending...anyway story has been "ok" POF was awesome but the last LS was kinda "meh" after Joko.

still bitter about Skyscale ....
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Good to see a MMO with lore, but GW2 was the MMO that said "You don't have to read quests". So you can skip the lore which is rather self defeating.
    Octagon7711GeezerGamer
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Move the elder dragons to Cantha.  :*
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Time for a GW3 already with a better more customizable skill system
    AeanderOctagon7711Noxias5TrooperQSatuScotceh430matsuzinRadoo
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Wedlen said:
    Time for a GW3 already with a better more customizable skill system
    Unfortunately, I highly doubt such will ever happen. At best, maybe we'll get a spiritual successor someday.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It doesn't feel like seven years but time flies when you're having fun. :-) I'm still waiting for more under water stuff which I feel this game did a pretty good job with and should expand.

My prediction is the next elder dragon will be a sea dragon and the net playable race will be dragons. :-D
    Arlee

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    It doesn't feel like seven years but time flies when you're having fun. :-) I'm still waiting for more under water stuff which I feel this game did a pretty good job with and should expand.

My prediction is the next elder dragon will be a sea dragon and the net playable race will be dragons. :-D
    That's what I say, a whole underwater region in the endless sea; but for some reason people hate underwater combat. It's not as bad as flying star ships in STO.
    Octagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CeonaCeona Member UncommonPosts: 2

Tiller said:

That's what I say, a whole underwater region in the endless sea; but for some reason people hate underwater combat. It's not as bad as flying star ships in STO.

HoT = green
    PoF = red
    next = blue for endless sea stuff?
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I really wanna get into this game more but I always seem to bounce between this and ESO. Then it just becomes a cycle of going from one to the other.
    Octagon7711
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Tiller said:

underwater combat sucks no doubt , but thats because the weapons usually are weak and traits doesnt work , hell revenant was unable to use tons of skills undercombat until this year
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Tiller said:

STO is not exactly busting at the seams with population...
    Hariken
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2019

Scot said:

Good to see a MMO with lore, but GW2 was the MMO that said "You don't have to read quests". So you can skip the lore which is rather self defeating.

The way you say it sure sounds self defeating. However, You don't have to read quest dialogs to get informed of whats happening in game because the game offers IMO better ways to get that info. There's a lot of story telling from NPC dialogs with and without branching choices. Many books in game that you can interact with have a lot of lore from the beginnings of GW1 onward. Even completely random npcs in any area can have juicy lore bits through dialog. As for quest(hearts) dialog, those are more related to the actual quest rather than the bigger picture.

EDIT: also, just by wandering around npcs you can sometimes hear some of them talking to each other. Some just talk nonsense like groups of friends irl while others share interesting story bits too.
    Arlee[Deleted User]

• Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited June 2019
    Still wondering what happened to the father of the commander (charr).
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Grunt350 said:

It's been ages since I started a charr with that option, but I could have sworn that was resolved duing the first third of the personal story?
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57

Arlee said:

Grunt350 said:

It's been ages since I started a charr with that option, but I could have sworn that was resolved duing the first third of the personal story?

The last dialogue you have during that part of the personal story:
    Vallus Smokemane: I'm honored to be your sire, and to salute you as legionnaire. Once things settle down, I'll contact you-discreetly.
    In the end, nothing was ever explained about what they were trying to project during that part of the personal story or the whereabouts of the commander's father.
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Grunt350 said:

Arlee said:

Grunt350 said:

The last dialogue you have during that part of the personal story:

Vallus Smokemane: I'm honored to be your sire, and to salute you as legionnaire. Once things settle down, I'll contact you-discreetly.

In the end, nothing was ever explained about what they were trying to project during that part of the personal story or the whereabouts of the commander's father.

Oh wow... Discreet means... obviously he's a member of the Order of Secrets! But seriously yea it would be neat if we got an update on these early stories from the all of the personal stories.
  • Leshie-LeshieLeshie-Leshie Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    edited June 2019

The way you say it sure sounds self defeating. However, You don't have to read quest dialogs to get informed of whats happening in game because the game offers IMO better ways to get that info. There's a lot of story telling from NPC dialogs with and without branching choices. Many books in game that you can interact with have a lot of lore from the beginnings of GW1 onward. Even completely random npcs in any area can have juicy lore bits through dialog. As for quest(hearts) dialog, those are more related to the actual quest rather than the bigger picture.

EDIT: also, just by wandering around npcs you can sometimes hear some of them talking to each other. Some just talk nonsense like groups of friends irl while others share interesting story bits too.

Have you ever heard a dialog from a father and son in the Crystal Oasis? Choyas all the time we seen as mean and destructive beings around, so the father tells the son, there are sayings of "nice Choyas" and he wonders if they really exist.
    Even though haven't found out if it is true, this is very heart warning and has been 1 of my favourite dialogs in the game. ^·^
    Arlee

Have you ever heard a dialog from a father and son in the Crystal Oasis? Choyas all the time we seen as mean and destructive beings around, so the father tells the son, there are sayings of "nice Choyas" and he wonders if they really exist.
    Even though haven't found out if it is true, this is very heart warning and has been 1 of my favourite dialogs in the game. ^·^
    Welcome to our forums! :)
  • DarkerCrimsonDarkerCrimson Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    You mean final episode of living world season 4?

Viper482 said:

Tiller said:

STO is not exactly busting at the seams with population...

Well there aren't as many servers, but for the most part when I have played it's been busy enough, which is crazy considering how on rails and cash shop centric that game is.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Another thing to add is how much I hate the fact that they tied Legendary weapons to an expansion zone, and a shitty annoying one at that. Granted I finished Maguuma ages ago, and built the first gen legendary weapons well before they changed how you unlock stuff, but for the new weapons it's annoying.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh the first expansion was teh end for most players so, the game ended a long time ago
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    You mean final episode of living world season 4?
    Welcome to our forums! :)
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Scot said:
    They said a lot of things that didn't really pan out the way they said it would.
    ScotOctagon7711