Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobs that gank you, and keep you looking over your shoulder

Comments

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    any guard you had to talk to in EQ that had an A in the keywords
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2019
    frostymug said:
    First thing I did after it happened the first time was to change that key to X.
    AmatheAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I was playing Project Gorgon and another player actually tried to run a mob train on me, it was funny as it's been many years that something like that has happened to me while playing an mmo.

That said, I remember the days when you always had to watch out for trains while leveling.  Mobs in ESO will follow you for a bit and some won't stop until you at least return fire on them, then they teleport or run back to their original position. 

One Golem in Lineage 2 would follow you across the zone sometimes.  It was a perfect setup as you were leveling and he moved so slow and took so long to kill most players just ran away from him and farmed in another area, sure enough awhile later, you got hit with a blast, looked around, and there he was.
    Amathe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2019
    Yes and within FFXi tons of it but unless you were real close to the zone line,you would likely be caught and killed because the mobs would not stop chasing you like they do in many games.

It also had you think quick,can i actually kill this with my pet,or do i risk near death red line to launch my pet to aggro this so i can run,is it a caster mob allowing me to get a head start while it is casting or is it dps melee mob that i must run from.On top of that ,you had to think about your line of direction,you can't run near other similar racial mobs or they will link so maybe the longer route is safer but how many hits will you take going the longer route,can i survive those hits,so many very quick decisions to make.

I remember quite often playing too care free,then when one of these situations arises i was not ready,i would run in several directions,changing my mind every second.Then within FFXI timing was so critical,if you time your cast wrong it would be interrupted meaning maybe no shadows,maybe sleep spell fails,maybe gravity spell fails,soooo many factors.On top of that some mobs could cast sleep on you meaning,you might start to run but soon your slept and caught.
    Octagon7711Amathe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    EQ had that. Early WoW had that (fuck you Son of Arugal). I think they still have that fell reaper walking around Hellfire. I always had a sarcastic reaction to it. "Oh, you got me, bitch." It really just felt like wasted time and not like a legitimate way to die. Cheesy, not dangerous.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Sooo you want mobs that TRY to gank you, but not really ever do it so that you can continue to believe you are the hero and strong?

if not you’d just find a PvP game. Amiright?
    AlBQuirky
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    GW2 has started someone that I hope never catches on.  They have two zones now that if the main event isn't won everyone in the zone dies or gets transported back to a starting area.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    bcbully said:
    Sooo you want mobs that TRY to gank you, but not really ever do it so that you can continue to believe you are the hero and strong?

That is not at all what I said.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    There have been many, starting with Fippy Darkpaw in EQ.  There you are, a puny newbie scraping XP by killing lowly Kobolds... and then you realised you just pulled Fippy.  SHiiiiii... dead.  :D
    AmatheOctagon7711
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited June 2019
    Amathe said:
    In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them. Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.

Personally I love this stuff. It makes the game scarier, and for me more immersive.

My favorite of all time was Equestrielle the Corrupted. It was a black, evil looking horse that lived in Lesser Faydark in EQ. You never knew when it would come at you out of nowhere and knock you stem winded. 

Here you were, in an area where you are already nervous about getting killed by tiny, hard to see brownies, and you have to worry about this crazy house too. 

Anyone like this type of encounter besides me?
    there was a giant rat (and when i say giant, that's what i mean, was about 3meter or sth), roaming even starting areas in Dark Age of Camelot. much like the voidwalker in BC / WoW, you got too close, you got another tombstone.

uh and for the record "attacked you as soon you saw them" is an angro range :)
    Amathe

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vanguard had some raid encounters which actually oneshot you if you accidentally got too close even if you're maxlevel. They stood static in one place though, no trouble to avoid them.

The only exception was a single wandering raidboss in the middle of Qalia, I've forgotten the name. Often wasnt up and slowly followed a predefined path.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    The original concept of Orfen in Lineage 2 was like that. You would constantly have to look over your shoulder and if you missed it coming in your area you could be destroyed. I really like that. Eventually they toned it down. Shame that.
    AmatheOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    cheyane said:
    frostymug said:
    For those curious, EQ had "A" as the default "auto-attack" key. So.... if you forgot to hit <enter> first to get into chat (which you had to do after every line), you hit that "A" key the guard one-shotted you.

Also... Magic users in EQ had it especially hard before the UI improved. In the original UI, meditating had Clerics, Druids, Enchanters, Mages, Necromancers, Shamans, and Wizards staring at their spellbook, seeing NOTHING of the area around them. They had to keep an eye on their chat box for any warnings :)

Amatheatonico

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

You may not be aware, but your first paragraph,

“In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them. Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.”

describes open world pvp perfectly. Could you please elaborate on the difference? Why not just enter a open world pvp game?
    Amathe
    bcbully said:

That kind of argument is still as retarded as it ever was.
    Mobs that "gank" you don't do things players do, like corpse/graveyard camping. They kill you and go back to their mob routine.
    Two completely different things.
    Did you miss where OP described corpse camping (something that should not be possible imho)? 

“In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them.  Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.”
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

Mobs that "gank" you don't do things players do, like corpse/graveyard camping. They kill you and go back to their mob routine.
    Did you miss where OP described corpse camping (something that should not be possible imho)? 

“In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them.  Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.”
    Most of the time, though, MMOs with that mechanic has the "offending monster" wandering off again by the time you get back to your corpse. Unlike too many PvP'ers that sit on your corpse or spawn point and kill you over and over again.

Many times in MMOs, you die on a corpse run to some monster completely different from the one that originally killed you. I guess the motivation isn't there to ruin your day?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

Most of the time, though, MMOs with that mechanic has the "offending monster" wandering off again by the time you get back to your corpse. Unlike too many PvP'ers that sit on your corpse or spawn point and kill you over and over again.

Many times in MMOs, you die on a corpse run to some monster completely different from the one that originally killed you. I guess the motivation isn't there to ruin your day?
    The perceived motivation is the problem then.

Any mmorpg that allows a person to stand on your corpse and kill you over and over sucks.  

Personally i dying in a pack of mobs then having to resurrect over and over is just as bad. I guess that’s ok for some people because of how they perceive intent.

What if those mobs or pat emoted over you, would that change how you feel?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AlBQuirky said:
    cheyane said:
    frostymug said:
    For those curious, EQ had "A" as the default "auto-attack" key. So.... if you forgot to hit <enter> first to get into chat (which you had to do after every line), you hit that "A" key the guard one-shotted you.

Also... Magic users in EQ had it especially hard before the UI improved. In the original UI, meditating had Clerics, Druids, Enchanters, Mages, Necromancers, Shamans, and Wizards staring at their spellbook, seeing NOTHING of the area around them. They had to keep an eye on their chat box for any warnings :)

Yeah, I remember my dark elf wizard getting killed testing a rain spell I think. 

EQ was what made me edge towards horizontal progression.  Game was so cool in so many ways but you had an awful grind and just a slow game.  Not to mention my wizard trainer decided to bare hand punch me for gazillion damage. Just like levels mean that much I that a supposedly weak and melee untrained wizard just hit me harder than any spell in the game. 
    I'd love to have something like the nemesis system that allowed you to flip some mobs so they actually work for, or would help you.  I'd also like to see vampire hunters like in Skyrim that were sworn to hunt you down and could appear nearly anytime, except cites or towns, to try and put an end to you.  I think that's why I like the wanted system in ESO, it's something different and yet it can managed once you've learned the ropes.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    Any kickstarter MMORPG that has enemy NPCs that wreck players when their situational awareness isn't up to par, gets a donation from me. 

I will donate additional funds if enemy NPCs do this over player corpses:

If the game is named Tears Online, I will donate Star Citizen ship.jpg money, with no intentions of playing. The comedy that follows would be worth every penny.
    Hatefull
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    bcbully said:

huh ...

" ... In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them. Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.

Personally I love this stuff... "

I just don't see where you got that.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Vanilla EQ and having to have your face stuffed in a book to meditate mana back always caused anxiety because you could still hear footsteps and couldn't tell the difference between a friend NPC or a mob.

Then there was those giant Fel Reavers in Hellfire Peninsula that always seem to b-line for me if I ever stopped and sat in one sport for more than 3 minutes.
    Man the downtime.  EQ was truly a slow game.  Especially solo. 

Yep but most classes in EQ1 were not designed to be played solo - warrior, rogue come to mind.

Even solo classes had way more downtime in comparison to how it is today.

But when played correctly (doing content that was appropriate for group makeup and gear level of each member being sufficient) - the downtime was minimal, as well as the risk.

The thing is most people played EQ1 without proper group makeup while also being undergeared for the content they tried doing.

Unless you were a necro, you had 0 downtime if you do things correctly champ soloing undead mob
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

“In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them. Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.”

describes open world pvp perfectly. Could you please elaborate on the difference? Why not just enter a open world pvp game?
    Probably because he doesn't want to deal with asshat players?

And anyhow, there are games, like I mentioned, Lineage 2, where there are monsters that will end you if you don't pay attention.

It's fun and there's a sense of immersion. Players? Players are seldom immersive. They actually ruin immersion.
    AlBQuirky

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

You illuminate the reasons people do not like PvP pretty perfectly. Corpse camping? seriously? Have your nuts not dropped yet? You can't handle a real challenge? That is the issue with PvP, there is always someone that tries to make sure no one else has fun at it. I really enjoy PvP, and thoroughly dislike people that can't win on an even playing field. Sure, everyone ganks or gets ganked, but just move on to a challenge. Why continue to punish someone that has no hope of winning? Makes no sense. And then you morons wonder why people avoid OWPVP at all costs, duh you, you are why they do that.

The PvE AI will eventually move, or you can get your shit together with friends and overcome the challenge. The Ai won't (at this point, we will see what the future holds) bring 50 friends to take down 5 players.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    bcbully said:

You illuminate the reasons people do not like PvP pretty perfectly. Corpse camping? seriously? Have your nuts not dropped yet? You can't handle a real challenge? That is the issue with PvP, there is always someone that tries to make sure no one else has fun at it. I really enjoy PvP, and thoroughly dislike people that can't win on an even playing field. Sure, everyone ganks or gets ganked, but just move on to a challenge. Why continue to punish someone that has no hope of winning? Makes no sense. And then you morons wonder why people avoid OWPVP at all costs, duh you, you are why they do that.

The PvE AI will eventually move, or you can get your shit together with friends and overcome the challenge. The Ai won't (at this point, we will see what the future holds) bring 50 friends to take down 5 players.
    If you read my post directly below the one you quoted you’d see I said “corpse camping is something that should not be possible imho” it’s a mark of a bad game.