Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Chaosbane Review: Let Chaos Reign! - Warhammer: Chaosbane Review

2»

Comments

• uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    This a 1.5A game. I dont even want to strip it down to all its failures.

Everything is bland in this game. This what a book example 5-6 would look like. Just enough effort to pass and start collecting money.

Also only 4 characters and almost none of the huge classes. With bare minimum mechanics. Its completely focused on expansions. And seeing how they made end game content a priority I dont even expect a nice delivery schedule for those.

Bright wizard, witch hunter, warrior priest,swordmaster, white lion, spellsinger, ward dancer, phoenix/sea guard, engineer, ironbreaker, runesmiths... just a few of the more iconic classes and only if we count lawful races.

I really think GWW should start selling its IP to asian studios that at least know how to deliver good ARPGs in mass production.
    Which studios are that?

Diablo, Blizzard, out of california

Torchlight, runic games, out of Seattle

grim dawn, crate studios out of Massachusetts

Path of Exile, Grinding gear games, out of New Zealand. 

I can't think of any asian companies that have had major hits in this particular arpg genre. 
    I was talking about cheap A or even low budget AA games. Obviously no major hits there. I wouldnt say Torchlight or Grim Dawn are major hits either.

The thing is that if you are going to be mediocre, and thats mostly a budget issue no disrespect to workers, at least be good at it. Small north america or europe studios usually dont deliver good products in that range of production budget.

Their costs are way higher and production outputs lower altough they offset it a bit with better quality in a hour work vs. hour work comparison. But unfortunately in the realm of $ per $ comparison unless you have big studios that can overcome the tax/regulation/cost burden you are on losing ground.

Look at Wolcen, Lost Ark, Lineage Eternal, MU legends... cheap ass games, with short development times that deliver mid-low (but polished) quality. Usually thats what GWW sells its IP for. 1A 1.5A or AA games.

p.s: Im not to far into the game (lvl 15 Imperial soldier) but I cant believe I still just keep killing health bars. Even the bosses are just no name healthbars so far. This so sloppy... I doubt I will be able to force myself much longer. Even story is boring.
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited June 2019
    *edited*

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    Scorchien said:
    In my opinion, this game is getting extremely overrated all over the place...

It's like Dungeon Siege III.. 'just' qualifies as an aRPG but really it's more like an arcade style beat-em-up.

Pagan Online is a better choice for this kind of game at the moment if someone's looking for a new one.
    yeaa... except WASD movement in an ARPG sucks

No Armor in a ARPG kinda sucks

Game is quite short at this time ...

Shows some promise  but  WASD and lack of loot kill this game for me
    I imagine it sucks if you don't have a mouse with lots of extra buttons but if you do WASD is far superior. You can run in one direction and attack in the other. That's impossible with click to move... which is why most aRPGs root you when you attack.

I'd actually like to see someone attempt an aRPG where you can click where you want to move and then attack in another direction whilst moving. Like, have no attack on the left button so there less room for aiming error that accidentally cancels where you wanted to move.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Scorchien said:
    In my opinion, this game is getting extremely overrated all over the place...

It's like Dungeon Siege III.. 'just' qualifies as an aRPG but really it's more like an arcade style beat-em-up.

Pagan Online is a better choice for this kind of game at the moment if someone's looking for a new one.
    yeaa... except WASD movement in an ARPG sucks

No Armor in a ARPG kinda sucks

Game is quite short at this time ...

Shows some promise  but  WASD and lack of loot kill this game for me
    I imagine it sucks if you don't have a mouse with lots of extra buttons but if you do WASD is far superior. You can run in one direction and attack in the other. That's impossible with click to move... which is why most aRPGs root you when you attack.

I'd actually like to see someone attempt an aRPG where you can click where you want to move and then attack in another direction whilst moving. Like, have no attack on the left button so there less room for aiming error that accidentally cancels where you wanted to move.
    Yep.  Just like M/KB VS controller, WASD provides greater control...period.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited June 2019
    4 tilesets and lack of enemy variety kill it for me honestly. The gameplay is very dull too for an ARPG. Loot is also very boring and does not have much impact on gameplay. It's progression system is basically Diablo 3 (select a loadout that unlocks as you level basically)  It looks great and is serviceable as a Warhammer universe game, but the story is hardly anything exciting. I think the price kills it though. Skip this and play either PoE (F2P) or Grim Dawn (Much cheaper at under half the price of Chaosbane). Hell, play Titanquest. It is much older but the remaster did a pretty good job at updating it.
    [Deleted User]KajidourdenHatefulluriel_mafess
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    Celcius said:
    4 tilesets and lack of enemy variety kill it for me honestly. The gameplay is very dull too for an ARPG. Loot is also very boring and does not have much impact on gameplay. It's progression system is basically Diablo 3 (select a loadout that unlocks as you level basically)  It looks great and is serviceable as a Warhammer universe game, but the story is hardly anything exciting. I think the price kills it though. Skip this and play either PoE (F2P) or Grim Dawn (Much cheaper at under half the price of Chaosbane). Hell, play Titanquest. It is much older but the remaster did a pretty good job at updating it.
    The tilesets are a big let down. When I first played I noticed that the third or forth quest was the same map as the first quest. Exactly the same. There seems to be some randomization because the maps were different with my next character but there's not enough sets to stop frequent repetition.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    KajidourdenMadFrenchie
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Was this review read by the developer first before allowing it to release?
    Not mentioning the repetition of maps/assets seems like a tactical reason to mislead readers.

This article came off as TRYING to be colorful to give the impression of a great game rather than simply being a review.
    The often used "art style"seems to miss another valid point.Part of mentioning ART is the PUNY characters/assets,when assets are THAT small,the detail is diluted and very tough to visualize.One can say that using such a small scale RUINS any art work used,no matter what type of art style was used.

So imo this article was trying too hard to give the game props.TONS of replayability,well depends if you can fathom replaying the same assets over and over,i cannot.So to simply say tons of replay might be true but NOT an actual accurate assessment of weather i would "want" to replay it.

I played Diablo and POE once through and was all i could take,could not fathom the same assets over and over and over.

The overall picture i get reading many posts/articles from all over the net,this game was rushed and simply not good enough yet this site gives it a WHOPPING 8.7,eluding to the fact there is barely any room to improve it,simply NOT TRUE.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited June 2019

Master X Master was like that.  Too bad they couldn't decide whether they wanted an ARPG or a MOBA so they ended up taking the worse of both worlds before shutting down in less than half a year.
    Hatefull
  • DiscipledOneDiscipledOne Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I haven't gotten very far, but the game feels really good. It needs a few things, another class or two. Items that have more unique effects, maybe they are only end game items here? Not sure.
    maskedweasel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have liked what i have seen from several Warhammer games/expansions but it is always the cost looks over priced that scares me away.
    The other problem is there are way too many Warhammer products,i cannot keep track of one to the next,so i don't know what version of the game i am looking at from one to the next.
    I see the mention of "ARPG" if this version is a ARPG,then it is a 100% no way from me as i can't stand ARPG's.
    ANYTHING and i mean ANY product that is related to a rpg must give me deep systems/customization.I want combat to be active and reactive,ARPG's NEVER have that.However that is not the simple of what i look for,otherwise i would play those Souls type games,active/reactive right,well not as simple as those games do it ,no i want much better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Grim Dawn was the Warhammer ARPG I was waiting for as far as I'm concerned.

I'm gonna sit on this one a bit and see how they interact with it.  If they do what they did with Warhammer: Total War and piecemeal out all the good characters at $20+ a pop, then I'll wait till they're done with it and buy the whole shebang on sale.

I mean, Grim Dawn is still being supported by a fantastic company that I'm happy to give my money, so no need to rush.