Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anarchy Online - Anyone still play?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I played this at release, but gave up because of lag and bugs.  Still, it was pretty innovative at the time.  Is the population still pretty healthy?

Comments

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    This was the first AAA release that set the stage for bad releases... god I remember the struggles everyone had the first weeks of this game.
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Finvega said:
    This was the first AAA release that set the stage for bad releases... god I remember the struggles everyone had the first weeks of this game.
    I was there aswell :)
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, I played for a month or so and gave up.  But while I was there, I had fun bashing things with my big, asexual bruiser...guy...with a steel beam or something of the sort.  I remember the lag going into a populated area was a nightmare.  But hey, I'm sure with 17 years of evolution and a small player base now, that's not an issue any more!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    i do
    @Scorchien how's the population?  I'd like to try it, but empty MMOs kind of bring me down.  Is there a global chat?
    edited March 2018
      Pop is still good , some cities heavy than others , Tir not many Borealis lots Old Athen always has players around also .. altho mostly top heavy as you would think but also a helpful community , ive been lvling ny 65 Advie and i do see some folks near my lvl ...

Game runs very smooth and i dont remember last time i ran into a bug .. Unless it was the kind trying to chew my face off..
    Thanks man.  @Scorchien if you can't find a group, is it pretty solo friendly?  Also, do ranged classes have to kite?
    i dont kite with Advie , and yes its Solo friendly ... ..
    Great, thank you.
    Oh wow, 5 peak players on Steam Charts...I wonder if most people play off of Steam?
  • HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I know my family and I play with the Funcom launcher and not using steam for this game.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Oh wow, 5 peak players on Steam Charts...I wonder if most people play off of Steam?
    I really doubt alot of players use steam to play AO , i know i dont and most people i know ingame dont either .
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2018
    I really loved this game would love to go back and play if only there were a few more players it's quite barren. 
    Hariken

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Yeah, I played for a month or so and gave up.  But while I was there, I had fun bashing things with my big, asexual bruiser...guy...with a steel beam or something of the sort.  I remember the lag going into a populated area was a nightmare.  But hey, I'm sure with 17 years of evolution and a small player base now, that's not an issue any more!
    You had an Atrox Enforcer. At least you did it right. My first character at launch was an Atrox Enforcer, duel-wielding SMGs. Yikes!

Launch sucked because most people were stuck in the backyards.

I've been thinking of playing again lately. I sub maybe once per year. If I jump back on, I'll make a thread and powerlevel anyone that is interested. It won't be this month because I'll be out of town mostly.

AO is the only game that I enjoy leveling in. I deleted so many toons and started over again just to twink into awesome gear. I spent hours twinking, it's so fun even when I out level all of it in 30 minutes lol.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I quit playing this game some years ago when my new (at the time) NVidia GPU couldn't render the game's old DX7 graphics engine. LOL.

I never went back.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    kitarad said:
    I really loved this game would love to go back and play if only there were a few more players it's quite barren. 
    Rubi-Ka is a dead world. All the people that play are high-level vets in the high-level shadowlands zones. It's sad going into Rome to see how dead it is. Omni Entertainment used to be the main hub. Today you lucky if you see 3 players all day there.
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Hariken said:
    kitarad said:
    Rubi-Ka is a dead world. All the people that play are high-level vets in the high-level shadowlands zones. It's sad going into Rome to see how dead it is. Omni Entertainment used to be the main hub. Today you lucky if you see 3 players all day there.
    Yeah, I remember the Omni district back in the day. People in the clubs always sitting around together having cyber-sex, rofl. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    **Update

I played the RK2019 Server when it launched. It was packed and promising.

Then, people started leaving while waiting on Shadowlands. I too left until Shadowlands came out.

The problem is, not everybody came back. There seems to be two types of players atm.

One type just logs in to go afk in front of Miir in ICC.

The other type is running 6 accounts and doesn't need to team with anybody and controls the economy because they have everything valuable, camped.

After five days of begging and offering tens of millions in credits to do simple group tasks, I unsubbed. Was wasting my time. Sunk Cost Fallacy, etc.

I might check in on it after the Xan expansion, but who knows how close that is to the timeframe the server is open.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited August 2019
    NorseGod said:
    **Update

I played the RK2019 Server when it launched. It was packed and promising.

Then, people started leaving while waiting on Shadowlands. I too left until Shadowlands came out.

The problem is, not everybody came back. There seems to be two types of players atm.

One type just logs in to go afk in front of Miir in ICC.

The other type is running 6 accounts and doesn't need to team with anybody and controls the economy because they have everything valuable, camped.

After five days of begging and offering tens of millions in credits to do simple group tasks, I unsubbed. Was wasting my time. Sunk Cost Fallacy, etc.

I might check in on it after the Xan expansion, but who knows how close that is to the timeframe the server is open.
    I waited until lvl 125 but waiting months for SL content was brutal. Everyone I knew had quit. The community manager(AndyB) was throwing fits on discord and banning people left and right for asking about the decision. The server was a huge mess, and a shame because I was really excited to play AO again.
    NorseGod