Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with no leveling

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Why does a lack of progression mean PVP Arena.  You can do anything in a levelless MMORPG as you could in a leveled one from quest to raids. 

How?

I mean really, everything would become homogenized, and if it was as you put it, "Skill based" again.. if you don't have the skills to be good at a PvP game, would not have the skills to be good at a PvE one, as the PvE content designed to challenge players would be for the people that had the twitch skill to kick your ass all over the place in a PvP game, so you would still be stuck at shit bottom, in either case.

Just in a Grind Based MMORPG, you are allowed the illusion of progression.. in a skill based one, just like a PvP Arena game, you would be forever stuck at sucking. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ungood said:
    Why does a lack of progression mean PVP Arena.  You can do anything in a levelless MMORPG as you could in a leveled one from quest to raids. 

How?

I mean really, everything would become homogenized, and if it was as you put it, "Skill based" again.. if you don't have the skills to be good at a PvP game, would not have the skills to be good at a PvE one, as the PvE content designed to challenge players would be for the people that had the twitch skill to kick your ass all over the place in a PvP game, so you would still be stuck at shit bottom, in either case.

Just in a Grind Based MMORPG, you are allowed the illusion of progression.. in a skill based one, just like a PvP Arena game, you would be forever stuck at sucking. 
    Um the same way you do stuff end game when you no longer can progress.  Same way you do stuff in level scaling games.  You just do it. 

It doesn't matter if you are end game by level, by paying for a boost or by default of logging on.  Not sure why it is hard to grasp.  Why wouldn't I be able to raid or go in a dungeon? Legend of Zelda had been doing it since what 86?

Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Why does a lack of progression mean PVP Arena.  You can do anything in a levelless MMORPG as you could in a leveled one from quest to raids.  When I got to level 110 in WoW I didnt start playing a PvP Battle Arena.  In ESO isn't a battle arena because ever NPC you fight is your level.  This is why I ask people do they really know what they are talking about.  

You really don't understand ESO do you? Have you even played it? Not only does ESO have leveling it has endless leveling with the Champion point passive abilities system, not to mention individual skill line leveling as well as crafting profession leveling. And no the mobs you fight are not "your level" they are all level 50 / CP 160 and you either get boosted to their level or not depending on your own level.

I'm not sure you even understand the purpose or meaning of leveling: it is nothing but one of many progression methods and most modern MMOs have several of those happening simultaneously with gear progression, whether gated by levels or content, being the predominant form.

It is ALL about progression in RPGs. And like I said before, it was not about that in the early lobby shooters - although even they had a type of progression in the form of finding weapon upgrades - as do modern BR games although it's only a temporary progression that goes away for your next match.

So... games without leveling have always existed just not typically in the RPG side of things. We play RPGs for their progression and leveling is just one of those ways to progress. Being bothered by that one type of progression in RPGs is just fucking weird man.
    gervaise1AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Why does a lack of progression mean PVP Arena.  You can do anything in a levelless MMORPG as you could in a leveled one from quest to raids.  When I got to level 110 in WoW I didnt start playing a PvP Battle Arena.  In ESO isn't a battle arena because ever NPC you fight is your level.  This is why I ask people do they really know what they are talking about.  

You really don't understand ESO do you? Have you even played it? Not only does ESO have leveling it has endless leveling with the Champion point passive abilities system, not to mention individual skill line leveling as well as crafting profession leveling. And no the mobs you fight are not "your level" they are all level 50 / CP 160 and you either get boosted to their level or not depending on your own level.

I'm not sure you even understand the purpose or meaning of leveling: it is nothing but one of many progression methods and most modern MMOs have several of those happening simultaneously with gear progression, whether gated by levels or content, being the predominant form.

It is ALL about progression in RPGs. And like I said before, it was not about that in the early lobby shooters - although even they had a type of progression in the form of finding weapon upgrades - as do modern BR games although it's only a temporary progression that goes away for your next match.

So... games without leveling have always existed just not typically in the RPG side of things. We play RPGs for their progression and leveling is just one of those ways to progress. Being bothered by that one type of progression in RPGs is just fucking weird man.
    Irrelevant.  As I said before level scaling is the compromise.  In ESO you can tackle any quest you want because NPC are 1 to 1 with you.  I also played WoW prior expansion and ever NPC I faced was my level.  

Just because there has been doesn't mean there has to be.  
    Iselin said:

Irrelevant.  As I said before level scaling is the compromise.  In ESO you can tackle any quest you want because NPC are 1 to 1 with you.  I also played WoW prior expansion and ever NPC I faced was my level.  

No, you can not tackle any content when you're a level 10 boosted to 50/CP 160. You can handle easy overland quest content but you can't handle anything even slightly more difficult until you have leveled up your skill lines, your CP passives and geared up. It is still very much about leveling. It is also a game where the basic character level has never been a gate for ability unlocks - those have always been in the individual skill line levels and that's exactly how it still is.

WoW does their scaling differently - it's a tiered thing.

The relevance is in you not even knowing what's happening under the hood while you use it as an example of a compromise.

I do like the changes brought about by level scaling in that it does let players of different levels go to any zone and group with anyone. But you're sadly mistaken if you think those boosted level 10s are in any way, shape or form on an equal footing with fully leveled max CP players.

The kind of utopian fantasy you and others have about a no leveling RPG where everyone is equal would be the most boring and pointless RPG in the history of game design - more a dystopia than a utopia. If you're talking casual lobby shooter though, you're right on the money because that's how they work.
    Ungoodgervaise1GdemamiAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

No, you can not tackle any content when you're a level 10 boosted to 50/CP 160. You can handle easy overland quest content but you can't handle anything even slightly more difficult until you have leveled up your skill lines, your CP passives and geared up. It is still very much about leveling. It is also a game where the basic character level has never been a gate for ability unlocks - those have always been in the individual skill line levels and that's exactly how it still is.

The relevance is in you not even knowing what's happening under the hood while you use it as an example of a compromise.

I do like the changes brought about by level scaling in that it does let players of different levels go to any zone and group with anyone. But you're sadly mistaken if you think those boosted level 10s are in any way, shape or form on an equal footing with fully leveled max CP players.

The kind of utopian fantasy you and others have about a no leveling RPG where everyone is equal would be the most boring and pointless RPG in the history of game design - more a dystopia than a utopia. If you're talking casual lobby shooter though, you're right on the money because that's how they work.
    Exactly as I said it is compromise.  Never said there those games had no levels.  I said a levelless game would play basically the same.  The only reason I even brought them into is because people claim a levelless system would be a BR or PvP battle arena. It would just allow content to be accessible.  Using ESO for example gives a clearer picture for those who can't or won't understand.  

Gdemami
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Exactly as I said it is compromise.  Never said there those games had no levels.  I said a levelless game would play basically the same.  The only reason I even brought them into is because people claim a levelless system would be a BR or PvP battle arena. It would just allow content to be accessible.  Using ESO for example gives a clearer picture for those who can't or won't understand.  

People are bringing up PvP and BR simply because those types of games do the no leveling thing. Games with no leveling are not a new idea by any means. But applying that to RPGs misses the whole point of why we play RPGs and bringing up the dumbest part of RPGs - the "end game" also totally misses the point that this is a thing created to retain your continued $ and nothing else.

You must have heard RPG players talk about the fun being in the journey haven't you?
    UngoodScorchienAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Ungood said:

How?

Um the same way you do stuff end game when you no longer can progress. 

Not being able to progress means one of 2 things.

1) You have reached the cap your skill, and the rest of the game is simply beyond your abilities.

2) You beat the game and thus, won.

Both end the same way.. you end up playing something else.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

1) You have reached the cap your skill, and the rest of the game is simply beyond your abilities.

So every action adventure in existence had nothing to do because you don't progress the character?  Adventure the 8 bit Atari 2600 game absolutely no character progression.  You still had things to do.  

And no in MMORPG you can enjoy the virtual world  your guild and hunting even if you don't have any character progression left.  Nothing stops you from completing quest, dungeons or raids even if you aren't progressing your character even if you were levelless.  
    GdemamiSteelhelm
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

People are bringing up PvP and BR simply because those types of games do the no leveling thing. Games with no leveling are not a new idea by any means. But applying that to RPGs misses the whole point of why we play RPGs and bringing up the dumbest part of RPGs - the "end game" also totally misses the point that this is a thing created to retain your continued $ and nothing else.

You must have heard RPG players talk about the fun being in the journey haven't you?
    Again, how does lack of character progression stop you from doing quest, dungeons or raids? Never got the answer.
    GdemamiSteelhelm
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

So every action adventure in existence had nothing to do because you don't progress the character?  Adventure the 8 bit Atari 2600 game absolutely no character progression.  You still had things to do.  

And no in MMORPG you can enjoy the virtual world  your guild and hunting even if you don't have any character progression left.  Nothing stops you from completing quest, dungeons or raids even if you aren't progressing your character even if you were levelless.  
    What are you talking about child.. there was progression. Zelda was loaded with all kinds of progression. Full to bursting with the shit.

Sure.. nothing stops you, nothing stops you from playing the same level of Pac Man, on repeat for the end of time either, beyond.. oh right.. a lack of progression which makes it boring as fuck.

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Again, how does lack of character progression stop you from doing quest, dungeons or raids? Never got the answer.
    Because we want progressively harder things to do - that's what it's all about. It's the same in well written fantasy fiction. All of it can be boiled down to "relatively weak hero-to-be grows and beats the UBG he didn't have a chance against at the beginning... the end."

How exactly do you accomplish that without progression - be in the form of simple levels or some other progression scheme that hides the traditional D&D character level and replaces it with something else that accomplishes the same exact thing levels accomplish?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

What are you talking about child.. there was progression. Zelda was loaded with all kinds of progression. Full to bursting with the shit.

Sure.. nothing stops you, nothing stops you from playing the same level of Pac Man, on repeat for the end of time either, beyond.. oh right.. a lack of progression which makes it boring as fuck.
    Again, you are still progressing through a story.  You are still able to complete dungeons.  You are still able to raid.  You are still able to do the trappings of MMORPG like housing, role playing, RvR, PvP.  

Uh, you are kind of making my point.  Pacman doesn't level up.  He does progressively harder content.  Nothing stops a levelless MMORPG from having progressively harder and harder content. Just like Pacman. 
    AmarantharGdemamiSteelhelm
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Because we want progressively harder things to do - that's what it's all about. It's the same in well written fantasy fiction. All of it can be boiled down to "relatively weak hero-to-be grows and beats the UBG he didn't have a chance against at the beginning... the end."

How exactly do you accomplish that without progression - be in the form of simple levels or some other progression scheme that hides the traditional D&D character level and replaces it with something else that accomplishes the same exact thing levels accomplish?
    How?  Same way you do content in the vast major of games without levels. If you want harder content you make harder content.  It"s not hard.  It does nor require levels.  Most MMORPG don't even have harder content until you get into dungeons and raids.  Level 1 goon is the same as level 100 goon if you are the same level.  
    Gdemami
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

How?  Same way you do content in the vast major of games without levels. If you want harder content you make harder content.  It"s not hard.  It does nor require levels.  Most MMORPG don't even have harder content until you get into dungeons and raids.  Level 1 goon is the same as level 100 goon if you are the same level.  
    I'll just leave you with two dictionary definitions and move along from this pointless discussion:

noun: progression
    1. the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

adjective
      adjective: pig-headed; adjective: pigheaded
      1. stupidly obstinate.
    Steelhelm

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I'll just leave you with two dictionary definitions and move along from this pointless discussion:

noun: progression
    1. the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

adjective
      adjective: pig-headed; adjective: pigheaded
      1. stupidly obstinate.
    Lol, so I guess you give up.  Either you can admit that you can still face challenges without character progression or you can claim that character skill is progression which invalidates the whole other side of the argument of levelless game not having progression and not a MMORPG.  
    Gdemami
    Lol, so I guess you give up.  Either you can admit that you can still face challenges without character progression or you can claim that character skill is progression which invalidates the whole other side of the argument of levelless game not having progression and not a MMORPG.  
    Nah. It's just that it has been explained to you in this and many other threads hundreds of times but you refuse to hear it.

IDK what your level phobia is all about TBH. It's weird. It's even weirder that you don;t seem to understand that they are just one form of progression and that RPGs are all abut progression. Maybe it's the word "level" that frightens you? Call them Joe or Bill if that helps you but something like levels that accomplishes the all important progression needs to be in an RPG to be an RPG.

Unless you've swallowed hook, line and sinker the horseshit notion that "end game" is the RPG. If that's you I've got a bridge for sale. Send me a PM if you want to buy it.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Nah. It's just that it has been explained to you in this and many other threads hundreds of times but you refuse to hear it.

IDK what your level phobia is all about TBH. It's weird. It's even weirder that you don;t seem to understand that they are just one form of progression and that RPGs are all abut progression. Maybe it's the word "level" that frightens you? Call them Joe or Bill if that helps you but something like levels that accomplishes the all important progression needs to be in an RPG to be an RPG.

Unless you've swallowed hook, line and sinker the horseshit notion that "end game" is the RPG. If that's you I've got a bridge for sale. Send me a PM if you want to buy it.
    1. I don't care about progressionless MMORPG being made.

2. I am into Horizontal progression sandboxes. 

I am just calling BS. People come into post derailing conversations because they are protective of their traditions. Like developers will just instantly make a game off some forum post. The heretics must be banished.  

A mage fireballs 10 wolves to death and returns to quest giver and finishes the quest.  Is this MMORPG levelless, horizontal progression or vertical progression with 100 levels? The character could complete the whole quest hub and you still couldn't tell without knowing the mechanics behind the  scenes.

Again the implication that progession makes MMORPG MMORPG.  Nobody can even give me how much progression is required by their own definitions.  Can you even answer that?  

Yes, the person who is open to most ideas is frightened.  But the people who talk like people bringing up the idea are heretics and need to be banished to BR lol.
    GdemamiAenghasSteelhelm

I'd love to hear some examples from you of a "horizontal progression sandbox" with special emphasis on explaining the progression part. No vertical allowed now.

"A mage fireballs 10 wolves to death and returns to quest giver and finishes the quest.  Is this MMORPG levelless, horizontal progression or vertical progression with 100 levels? The character could complete the whole quest hub and you still couldn't tell without knowing the mechanics behind the  scenes."

A snapshot without context is meaningless. Just like your no level idea. Is that why you play games? To kill 10 wolves now and 500 hours into the game?

Personally I play to kill one wolf and later on, when I've progressed to kill 100 wolves.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

I'd love to hear some examples from you of a "horizontal progression sandbox" with special emphasis on explaining the progression part. No vertical allowed now.

"A mage fireballs 10 wolves to death and returns to quest giver and finishes the quest.  Is this MMORPG levelless, horizontal progression or vertical progression with 100 levels? The character could complete the whole quest hub and you still couldn't tell without knowing the mechanics behind the  scenes."

A snapshot without context is meaningless. Just like your no level idea. Is that why you play games? To kill 10 wolves now and 500 hours into the game?

Personally I play to kill one wolf and later on, when I've progressed to kill 100 wolves.

If it's not a MMORPG why wouldn't you be able to tell? Wouldn't a battle royale or battle arena or whatever be dead obvious?  I mean you see other players running by.  He is turning in quest.  He runs a dungeon with 8 other players of various classes.  Again if it's not a MMORPG by your definitiom wouldn't you be able to tell after running a whole questhub and dungeon without seeing the numbers behind it? 

You still didn't specify exactly how much progression qualifies a game as a MMORPG.
    GdemamiSteelhelm
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

Again, you are still progressing through a story.  You are still able to complete dungeons.  You are still able to raid.  You are still able to do the trappings of MMORPG like housing, role playing, RvR, PvP.  

Uh, you are kind of making my point.  Pacman doesn't level up.  He does progressively harder content.  Nothing stops a levelless MMORPG from having progressively harder and harder content. Just like Pacman. 
    Playing Pac Man a game of playing one board at a time, until one or two things happen, You either cap your skill level, or you beat the game, at which point, you stop playing.

Which kinda makes my point, that progressioness games become boring as fuck and people quit them in short order. This is great for single buy games, where you the game, and the developer does not need to give a shit how long you are entertained for.

Which, in case you were STILL wondering, is precisely why MMORPG's are not made like Pac Man.

Iselin said:

If it's not a MMORPG why wouldn't you be able to tell? Wouldn't a battle royale or battle arena or whatever be dead obvious?  I mean you see other players running by.  He is turning in quest.  He runs a dungeon with 8 other players of various classes.  Again if it's not a MMORPG by your definitiom wouldn't you be able to tell after running a whole questhub and dungeon without seeing the numbers behind it? 

You still didn't specify exactly how much progression qualifies a game as a MMORPG.
    Still waiting for that "horizontal progression sandbox" example of progression.
    Ungood

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

Playing Pac Man a game of playing one board at a time, until one or two things happen, You either cap your skill level, or you beat the game, at which point, you stop playing.

Which kinda makes my point, that progressioness games become boring as fuck and people quit them in short order. This is great for single buy games, where you the game, and the developer does not need to give a shit how long you are entertained for.

Which, in case you were STILL wondering, is precisely why MMORPG's are not made like Pac Man.

Lol, I don't care why they are not made.  The reason why MMORPG are made certain ways has a lot to do with money men who have largely abandoned the genre. 

My whole point is that they can be made and would play just like any other MMORPG. The OPs idea isn't a BR or Battle Arena.

If you watched someone play a progressionless MMORPG without UI, and numbers visible you couldn't tell the difference. 
    Gdemami
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

How?

Lol, I don't care why they are not made.  The reason why MMORPG are made certain ways has a lot to do with money men who have largely abandoned the genre. 

My whole point is that they can be made and would play just like any other MMORPG. The OPs idea isn't a BR or Battle Arena.

If you watched someone play a progressionless MMORPG without UI, and numbers visible you couldn't tell the difference. 
    "I bet if we game people not a single damn reason to do anything in this game, they would play the fuck out of it" .. said.. ONLY you.

Everyone else realized.. they would not play that shit.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Iselin said:

I don't play MOBA, but I thought MOBA have progression.  You fight mobs to gain gold to buy stronger weapon.

But I think the main point is every match in MOBA last 1 hour long.  But for MMORPG your character can last thousands of play hour.  That really is the difference.

Also it is weird a "pve" rpg game have no progression.  For pvp it make more sense.  I think someone mention before planetside 2 have no level.  But I'm sure there are probably some minecraft server which share your ideology.