Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to solve static mob problem. To give a NEW FEATURE.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited June 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
VERY noticeable, but VERY subtle is the fix.
This way it's non-intrusive to other players attempting to do the same thing.

In order to fix the static mob problem would take a lot of creativity. 

With approximately 20 players around a certion part of a zone, you would have conflict of actions if mobs were intelligent.  If a mob was busy with you, what about the other players ?  The other players would be waiting for you to finish or join into your actions. 

It would be a worthwhile puzzle for a good developer to solve, because it would be a GREAT FEATURE.  I'm not talking about dynamic events or public quest, but simply intelligent AI where you give a Bandit a brain..... Maybe to solve this give the Bandit a half a brain just to make things a little more interesting.  VERY noticeable, but also VERY subtle.  

When playing off line games such as The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, FarCry, or Skyrm I often think what it would be like if others were on my game..... All of them would work as a co-op or threesome, but many players you would have the "conflict". 

Elder Scrolls Online, 
The game was to be Skyrim-like or Elder Scrolls-like..... Yet it turned out to be another cross between a solo theme park with static mobs.  Nothing like Elders Scrolls other than some references.  They didn't bother to make anything intelligent but simply the same-old. 

For me references are NOTHING !..... It's not Elder Scrolls at all. 
The popularity was intelligence to make it the real-deal 

IMPORTANT:   The fix has been done before !!!!

Believe it or not the fix for AI came with "Darkfall Unholy Wars". 
Three reasons:
-The AI was intelligent in safe zones, they would look at you, then follow you.
-You could actually hide and mobs would search, then eventually forget.
-Cover worked, you were able to hide around trees, rocks, ditches, and heavy brush.  This worked for BOTH PvP and PvE.  Cover worked naturally where you had to guess at how covered you were, unlike the crap glowing cover like in EA games. 

NEVER HAS THIS BEEN DONE AGAIN !!!
Post edited by delete5230 on
mmolouGdemami

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    It is only a problem as you describe if there is only one bandit you need to sort out to complete a quest, if it was a generic quest to take out bandits no problem. If it is a boss then you could use instances or as more players come to fight the 'boss', make the bosses scale up in difficulty to handle the new players.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    EQ didn't really have "static mobs." Sure there were Orc Camps and such, but... they were camping. In tents. Spying on Freeport and adjacent lands. Wolves wandered. Orc Pawns wandered. Spiders wandered.

They were also somewhat intelligent. I lost count of the times I died in the Eastern Commonlands, returning from some adventure and neglected to heal my wounds. Monsters that normally would not attack me saw I was wounded and (much like players) thought, "Hey! A wounded guy! GET HIM!" Orc pawns (level 2 creatures) have killed my 20th level characters because I was near death. Even while fighting in the Eastern Commonlands, a wolf (level 2) that would normally just mosey on by the fight, would jump in if I had maybe a quarter hit points or less.

In The Oasis of Ro, Sand Giants wandered. An upper level monster in a zone designed for lower level players. This happened all over Norrath in EQ.

Now, no one "followed" you about like you described. If they saw you and could take you, they attacked then and there. If they did not have an easy upper hand, they just continued on their way.

But then EQ had the famous "Zone Trains" that saved lives, killed innocent players, and basically was a bone of contention ;)
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You could just play a MUD.   Most of them have NPCs with extra behaviors, could be anything from "scavenging" corpses, picking up items, to running towards/away from noise (fast movement, combat, and similar). 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    How about make the mobs people instead? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"