Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Shadowbringers: Yoshida-san Talks Shadowbringers - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFFXIV Shadowbringers: Yoshida-san Talks Shadowbringers - MMORPG.com

We had the opportunity to put our Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers questions directly to Yoshida-san as part of a round-table interview. Topics included making sure those job changes are just right, and sharing a few details on updates to The Hunt. We also got the chance to dig into the design process behind Dancer and Gunbreaker.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited May 2019
    Yoshida-San does not really want to leave and go to Blizzard to develop Diablo IV, nope he was just joking, hahahaha, you can see that in his eyes.

I bet the humour of that went down like a cup of cold sick back at SE. But refreshing to see someone so senior not feel they need to stick to a professional line and josh around a bit. :)
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Well, Blizzard developers are dumping Blizzard for Epic, so there's that.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    "But that is only evident when we see people that want to challenge the content early on with the lower item level."

This still creates a problem when the ignorance of self-proclaimed elitists think this composition is the meta never to be ignored under any and all circumstances.

Like pugging farm content and demanding players change jobs to enforce said comps.

But what can you do? You can't educate these people.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Looking forward to the new expansion. The media block has been lifted on job revisions and there's quite detailed information from various posters on YouTube (with the caveat that these could see further adjustments prior to launch).

I think FFXIV works because of the obvious love of the development team for what they are doing. There's a sense of ownership, of honesty, and this produces a great connection with the players.

You feel as though you could go for a night out with Yoshida-san, and have a great time. Not many other development teams give that feeling.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,141
    This is the only game world right now that actively excites me to degrees that i have a tough time finding in other mmorpg's.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Neoyoshi said:

This is the only game world right now that actively excites me to degrees that i have a tough time finding in other mmorpg's.

There is not much to hate about the game and world.
    It could/should have more voice overs.The combat/class design is far more handcuffed than FFXI and potency is just a really bad idea that is the main culprit to handcuff combat.I would like to see less "dungeon" "less instance",more open world,building,eco systems and a world that feels alive.

Watching for things to avoid is great but delivering it with visual red carpets is really bad.

Seeing how i can build ANYWHERE inside of game "Atlas" then seeing how much restrictions mmorpg's have is just not cool.

So right now i have seen the best of all designs,i know which areas are really good and which are ho hum.The problem is that not one single developer can put the ENTIRE mmo+rpg package together,NOBODY.

I feel the obvious assumption would be cost to profit ratios.Well has ANYONE tried to test the waters,deliver the entire package and ask a bit more to play?NO ,nobody has even tried to,so why is that?

Does FFXIV do a good job..YES,is it good enough for me to spend day after day login and play,year after year..imo no it is not.I need to see developers do a much better job with the entire package.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

One of the things you immediately notice in FFXIV is the amount of transitioning loading that needs to happen pretty much everywhere. The only other mmorpg that strongly reminds me of this transition reliance is EQ2. If I had to guess about the reason for such limitation (and also the limitation on the amount of actors present in any cutscene and in the world in general, I would point at the need to work properly on consoles as well.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    As to the transitioning loading I always thought that it was because it also runs on memory restricted consoles.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2019
    "But that is only evident when we see people that want to challenge the content early on with the lower item level."

This still creates a problem when the ignorance of self-proclaimed elitists think this composition is the meta never to be ignored under any and all circumstances.

Like pugging farm content and demanding players change jobs to enforce said comps.

But what can you do? You can't educate these people.
    Dont pug? or just create your own. People who honestly pug or are adamant about not forming their own groups for things, honestly get what they deserve. Having 'less time to play' isn't really an excuse for making friends with people and trying to find people who have similar schedules.

What the general masses dont really understand about a meta or at least its formation is that it only applies to the 'first clear.' When you start farming said content, there really isn't a meta anymore because every class will do better as more gear is being acquired.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I wish i could get into FF14. Im trying. I just dont find it interesting. I wish there was voice acting for every quest. I iwhs the movement was more fluid. FEeels weird
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Wedlen said:
    I wish i could get into FF14. Im trying. I just dont find it interesting. I wish there was voice acting for every quest. I iwhs the movement was more fluid. FEeels weird
    Not all games are for everyone, even really popular ones. Hope you find something that suits you.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Yoshida turned FF14 into a great MMO but hopefully he has to scale back his involvement moving forward.

He, for some reason, controls class balance and has stubborn ideas of what the classes should be like. Such as purposely gimping Red Mage damage because they could constantly insta-battle rez.

Also, at the recent Media event a well known tank player asked Yoshida why Dark Knight's invulnerability cooldown is by far the worst and why they havent changed it. Yoshida answered that it was fine and they havent changed it because "class identity".

How about letting someone that actually listens to the community take over on certain roles so he can go do FF16.
    Buschkatze
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Wedlen said:

Fully voiced MMO... thank SWTOR for making everyone else attempt that.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

All quests in ESO are voiced. Do people listen to them?
    Buschkatze
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Xasapis said:
    All quests in ESO are voiced. Do people listen to them?
    and really I don't need that..>To me it adds a ton to the download and isn't necessary....Every MMO that has had voice acting and cutscenes I just skip thru them.
    Buschkatze
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    How long must i wait for Blitzball? :(
  • RLWDRLWD Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited June 2019
    This combat system "adjustments" are just disheartening. They just gutted so many interesting mechanics from jobs because they're so afraid people would "discriminate" certain jobs. Like this was even remotely an issue given how easy the vast, VAST majority of the content is and how little optimization is needed to clear most of them (as of 4.x)

I joined this game back in beta in 2013, i saw it for what it honestly was, a great new foundation from a previously failed experiment and, idiotically based on that hype, was actually hoping they'd take that and build on it and make it more interesting through the years... even after they stacked one mistake on top of the other through the years i kept hope.

Sadly the only time i felt they were getting close to doing that was in heavensward, and they summarily decided to gimp all the added interesting mechanics (god i miss HW DRK) for the sake of "accessibility" and now in the new expansion they're going EVEN FURTHER with that nonsense blatantly "justifying" their choices with things like "this class had too much to track".

Going at it in a timeline:

2.2+ they gimped endgame dungeons (ie 4-man actual "dungeons") difficulty massively because "it was too hard" even though the vast majority of players went through them daily. But can't have content that requires people to pay attention and punish them with wipes in the occasional run with mistakes- no sir, everyone must ALWAYS WIN.. such great game design.

2.x (i can't remember the exact patch nor can i be bothered to look it up) - They completely removed their semi-open design of the dungeons because boohoo some assholes were running dungeons expecting people to speedrun- let's not punish those players! NO! What we need to do is make the game dumber! Just remove the ability to speedrun things! Yeah amazing design choice!- Also somewhere around here "hard" (just lol) primals started to become a joke that was just there for story that people did once and never touched again. Another brilliant piece of game design

3.x they started listening to whining on the forums about classes being too hard and started dumbing them down, even though this was by far the most interesting period gameplay wise. Their idea of "innovative content" started to become exceedingly clear- mindnumbing faceroll utterly monotonous spam farms with a shitton of rng just dumped on top of it. People claim the new ones in wow are bad, TRY THAT except with LESS mechanics and with literal ZERO utility in the rewards to your actual character.

4.0 A MASSIVE number of gimping happened to the jobs, in the spotlight for me was the utter shameless catering to casuals they did with DRK , mana management became a non issue and the class ability that had to be used carefully to enhance other abilities now just became a button you pressed whenever you could pretty much. just.............

5.0 Same as 4.0, except this time they're dumbing down an already dumbed down class mechanic system.
    They're unironically taking active steps to try and force people away from what made healers INTERESTING to play in this game to begin with. This is just a blatant statement that they don't want any skill ceiling and virtually any hope i had for this game has been buried.

Just disappointing through and through
    Edit: Sorry for the massive wall of text. But as someone who invested so much time into this game this is slightly melancholic. If it's good for you, then great! I just wish someone developed a modern AAA MMORPG that actually felt like a game for once and not a "i win at everything" joy ride.

If WoW Classic becomes remotely popular, then perhaps more mmorpgs (and games in general) may look into returning to the roots.

Realistically though, all these publishers have found an unrestricted goldmine of slot machine cash grabs, which the earlier game designs are an anathema.
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    poor questions
  • Shanky_ShankyShanky_Shanky Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I enjoy FFXIV because of great atmosphere more than anything else. Hope new expansion will be top-notch - as usual