Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobs that gank you, and keep you looking over your shoulder

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them. Depending on the death mechanics of the game, that encounter may not be over with after just one death.

Personally I love this stuff. It makes the game scarier, and for me more immersive.

My favorite of all time was Equestrielle the Corrupted. It was a black, evil looking horse that lived in Lesser Faydark in EQ. You never knew when it would come at you out of nowhere and knock you stem winded. 

Here you were, in an area where you are already nervous about getting killed by tiny, hard to see brownies, and you have to worry about this crazy house too. 

Anyone like this type of encounter besides me?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Gyva02SovrathkitaradSteelhelmAlBQuirkycheyaneGaladourn

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    The werewolf in Karana, Everquest. I used to be terrified of it.Cannot sit anywhere in peace plus they never let up.
    AmatheAlBQuirkycheyane

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The thing about enemies back then is that many of those you guys mention were nearly impossible to flee from.  That certainly made them more terrifying to encounter.

Some ran faster than normal speed, while some would root you in place or snare you.  Others would charm you and make you suicide attack something else, etc.

It was the fact that you often didn't have a means of escape that really made them original ganksters.
    AmatheKyleranOctagon7711AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    And then there is the saying "revenge is a dish best served up many levels later." A guy on my server used to show up and kill Ambassador DVinn every single week because he never got over being ganked by him repeatedly in Crushbone Castle (EQ1). 
    KyleranAlBQuirkyPhry

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Hydra in PoF Guild Wars 2 come to mind. They are annoying as heck especially when they come up on you at the wrong time while your health is low from fighting
    AmatheAlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The two-headed giant worgs in Anarchy online. They would chase you down forever. 
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I was victim of Hill Giants and the EC Griffin.  The hippy ranger guy also got me for attacking animals.
    AmatheAlBQuirkydragonlee66
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Vermillion_Raventhal said:

The hippy ranger guy also got me for attacking animals.
    A guy in my EQ1 guild killed a slew of Tunare's bears (despite a million warnings not to), and became KOS in his own home city. 

AlBQuirkydragonlee66

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Atlas at least did this part right, mobs are insane and they corpse camp you to boot.
    Amathe
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I always thought Rift did this kind of thing quite well. You could be questing and minding your own business and then all of a sudden a zone event starts and packs of mobs might just wander straight through your quest area and ruin your day.
    [Deleted User]AmatheHarikenHatefull
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    Vermillion_Raventhal said:

The hippy ranger guy also got me for attacking animals.
    A guy in my EQ1 guild killed a slew of Tunare's bears (despite a million warnings not to), and became KOS in his own home city. 

But was probably ok to chill with Trolls Ogres and Dark Elves 

There is always an upside ;)
    "You’ve ruined your own lands, you’ll not ruin mine!"

Me: Glowers at him dubiously.
    Amathedragonlee66
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Mostly older MMOs with the tough mobs, hardly a surprise. Gw2 was mentioned I can't speak about that but I played Rift, I hardly never got caught out by the events mentioned, not a biggie. This is almost a companion thread to Delete's, where are the tricky mobs on todays MMOs?
    Rhoklaw said:
    Vanilla EQ and having to have your face stuffed in a book to meditate mana back always caused anxiety because you could still hear footsteps and couldn't tell the difference between a friend NPC or a mob.

Then there was those giant Fel Reavers in Hellfire Peninsula that always seem to b-line for me if I ever stopped and sat in one sport for more than 3 minutes.
    Man the downtime.  EQ was truly a slow game.  Especially solo. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
    thats one of the things i really like about UO , many mobs that can 1 shot you if you are not on your toes can end up anywhere in the game world
    Amathe
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Well , it kind of good way to anti bots
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Froon and Choon were the best for this, someone would agro them, die, and then they would stop around the zone for a while killing newbs.. just stepping on them.

Hilarious.. 
    Amathe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wouldn't this just be akin to just removing aggro reset ranges like how mmorpgs used to have it?
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    You used to be able to lure monsters in towns which resulted in being ganked over and over as the monster was deliberately lured to a spawn point. Which usually result in having to start over especially if you came from a noob island and you are below the minimum level to progress due to de leveling when you died. Fun times.
    esc-joconnor

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ZyerneZyerne Member UncommonPosts: 30
    EQ1 gave me a fear of deep water in video games that I've yet to recover from. Had the usual run-ins with wandering boss mobs, or time specific dangerous zones, but it was the water that got me.

Ended up falling into the Ocean of Tears from my boat while having no idea where I was at. Then after what seemed like an eternity of swimming through the ocean for land I get 1 shot by a large sea creature from out of the darkness underneath me. This after being spooked several times by shadows of darkness deeper in the water while I swam near the surface constantly in fear for all those hours. It took me an entire weekend of attempts and repeats of this to get my body and get safely back to Freeport.

After that weekend I basically refused to ever dive downward in open water in EQ1, and stories like rare dragon sea bosses, or the Loch Ness monster in Lake Rathetear kept me scared whenever I had to swim (which I only did at the surface and hugging zone walls). The fact that random high level creatures were often about places made it so the stories had the possibility to be true.

Even to this day I 'hate' swimming in games that have dark/cloudy water where you can't see very far as it immediately makes me super paranoid. Game basically gave me virtual PTSD as a kid.
    dragonlee66Amathe
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Amathe said:
    In many games, particularly older ones, there are mobs that prowl around that will end you quickly if you encounter them.
    Baugarch in Chetwood, LotRO. Now it's kinda nerfed (just like most Elites), but in the early days that was one feared warg... since players are about level 10ish when at Chetwood, stumbling upon a level 15 Elite on patrol, either by an accidental pull, or just fail to notice its more menacing look (when playing without floating names for more immersion) resulted a quick defeat.

That warg was the destroyer of countless Undying titles... low level players learned to fear Chetwood and always keep an eye on the surroundings.
    AndraxxAmathe
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I remember playing Aion (which was my first official MMORPG) and after the level 10 ascension and getting wings I got sent to a beach area. I was blissfully killing the trash mobs and gathering for quests and bumped into the patrolling world boss for that area.

So uh, I learned that devas could resurrect that day...
    Amathe
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Lokero said:
    The thing about enemies back then is that many of those you guys mention were nearly impossible to flee from.  That certainly made them more terrifying to encounter.

Some ran faster than normal speed, while some would root you in place or snare you.  Others would charm you and make you suicide attack something else, etc.

It was the fact that you often didn't have a means of escape that really made them original ganksters.
    It's always been the guards.  Unkillable, inescapable.  They still make them that way when a new game comes out but people complain about them so much they usually make it so you can at least get away, sometimes.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited June 2019
    that was how PvE worked in Darkfall... mobs would attack you on sight, there were no aggro ranges.

Normally you would farm in areas you knew mobs were relatively easy to kill, but there were roaming mob "bosses" that would one-shot you if they saw you.

I remember running into a land dragon/lizard in Yssam while farming goblins... that was one short encounter.
    Amathe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I was victim of Hill Giants and the EC Griffin.  The hippy ranger guy also got me for attacking animals.
    Oh man! Holly Windstalker in Qeynos Hills killed my characters so many times!

I would need to kill an animal for a quest or crafting materials (pelts or meat) and I could see her moseying along. I would try to kill quickly but EQ fights were NOT quick events. More often than not, she'd walk into range then BAM! "...realoading..." :lol:

On Topic:
    I love these encounters, Amathe! This is what "difficult" means, to me anyway. It forces players to become aware of their own surroundings, which few newer MMOs do. My Bards always had to be aware when they played their AoE DoT song. May inadvertently hit a wandering creature and suddenly find yourself in a bad situation. Willowisps were especially nasty for low level players with no magical weapons yet :)
    HarikenAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Anyone who played UO before the devs created Trammel to address the growing population issue (Its been proven the population was growing time and time again) will probably remember the Lizardmen Raids on some of the cities. Or when Orcs would be on roaming rampages. Good times.
    Viper482Amathe
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    Patrols from Wow. They walk around on a route and suddenly you are entangled with em
    Amathe