Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic Events... are they really fun ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited May 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
My first encounter with Dynamic Events was is in Warhammer. 

This new introduction was upgraded in Rift.  Trion took Dynamic Events to a new greater level and naturally and blended them into the environment.  Remember how the sky would open up, a crack of thunder that would make a player open his map to find the location and run to it ?...... Their were variations, Earth Wind, and Fire making for different eye candy. 

Later they became the norm for games like Guildwars 2, FF14 and most every modern game.  It would be fun to follow a slow moving caravan that would periodically get attacked by bandits.  It was intriguing to be the first on site to watch others come and help. 

At first glance, the player would say:
" look at us, were working together, this is an mmorpg"

Now for my question:
Does the fun last ?...... Does the fun sustain ?..... No matter how well done, can you find never ending enjoyment that never gets old ? 

For me, to make a long story short...
Their enjoyable for 2 hours.  Given a few days, they turn irritating. 
Going from Warhammer>Rift>GW2>ff14 I don't think I could ever play another Dynamic Event, ever !

This makes me want the "all natural" approach, that much more.  It's a show of technology where developers get to shine with how advanced they are.  I could only speak for my self that being "all natural" to a higher degree is much more impressive :)

Artistic above technical..... Technical is maxed out for a flat screen.  And you can keep Virtual Reality too. I'm not putting anything on my head but a baseball cap.  Call me when I can walk into a room and the Virtual Reality is in the room.  
GdemamiJeffSpicoliCaffynated

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    In GW2 they are due to simple factor they are triggered with or without your involvement, some you have to trigger others trigger themselves and It is so boring to do themepark quests you go to ? get kill 10 rats standing still on a nearby field, go back get 500xp and some gold.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Maurgrim said:
    In GW2 they are due to simple factor they are triggered with or without your involvement, some you have to trigger others trigger themselves and It is so boring to do themepark quests you go to ? get kill 10 rats standing still on a nearby field, go back get 500xp and some gold.
    Your right,
    But only for the first two hours, then just as bad or worst !
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    The examples you give are not Dynamic Events, they are just Timed Events.

Warhammer, Rift, GW2 and FF14 all have events that are on a set timers with set outcomes either win or fail.

If a town is invaded and you fail to repel it there is no consequence so no cares. If the town was destroyed because you didnt repel the invasion then people would care.

Arenanet outlined some of this in their infamous "manifesto" but it never materialized.

Dynamic Events could be fun if they are taken to the next step, but No, not as they are now.
    LokeroobiiViper482
  • Arlene9Arlene9 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2019
    In GW2 they are due to simple factor they are triggered with or without your involvement, some you have to trigger others trigger themselves and It is so boring to do themepark quests you go to ? get kill 10 rats standing still on a nearby field, go back get 500xp and some gold. ttrockstars
    Post edited by Arlene9 on
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited May 2019
    Like most "gimmicks", they are... for awhile. Then they're "just another pain" when they happen in your way.

GW2 is my only experience with Dynamic Events and that was my experience. How many caravans can one defend before the caravanserai decide they need a new route? Are the centaurs so prolific that they can send wave after wave of attackers with nary a dent in their numbers?

Change. It's cool when things change with dynamic events, but in GW2, it was all an illusion of change. Nothing really did. Sure, you got a couple of temporary changes afterwards, but then all went back to normal/the usual. Can the centaurs ever be defeated? Totally? No. So in the end, it truly is pointless and players realize this after their first handful of them.

Could they be interesting and cool? Sure, but I'm not sure a game with thousands of players in it is the place for that. The changes that need to happen to make them believable could ruin other players' experiences. Remember, an MMO is NOT a game  for any one single player. "Unique" is foreign concept to this kind of game.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AlBQuirky said:
    Like most "gimmicks", they are... for awhile. Then they're "just another pain" when they happen in your way.

GW2 is my only experience with Dynamic Events and that was my experience. How many caravans can one defend before the caravanserai decide they need a new route? Are the centaurs so prolific that they can send wave after wave of attackers with nary a dent in their numbers?

Change. It's cool when things change with dynamic events, but in GW2, it was all an illusion of change. Nothing really did. Sure, you got a couple of temporary changes afterwards, but then all went back to normal/the usual. Can the centaurs ever be defeated? Totally? No. So in the end, it truly is pointless and players realize this after their first handful of them.

Could they be interesting and cool? Sure, but I'm not sure a game with thousands of players in it is the place for that. The changes that need to happen to make them believable could ruin other players' experiences. Remember, an MMO is NOT a game  for any one single player. "Unique" is foreign concept to this kind of game.
    One reason I have always believed in procedural content and finite spawns.  Having a spawning system that is it's own game in the background would be refreshing. 

For example if centaurs clan blood was aggressive.  They could spawn missions they are killing caravans when their spawn point reaches a certain number.  If you kill enough of them they won't have enough numbers to spawn the mission.  Players could also decide to go and raze their whole city and no more aggressive centaurs. 

That would leave the spawn point open.  Maybe a new randomly generated race of elves comes and they are peaceful or an unchecked overburdening number of goblins from a neighboring spawn site take hold.  
    CaffynatedAlBQuirky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I remember in Rift how everyone would love the rifts at first...Then about level 10 no one was interested anymore......I think if they are very rare (maybe once a day or so) then they aren't too bad, but when it's every five minutes they get old really fast.
    MendelAlBQuirky
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited May 2019
    I think the more appropriate question is:
    Dynamic Events. Are they really dynamic?

Rifts, DEs, FATEs, what ever the system is called, I don' t think they accomplished what developers wanted them to do.

ScorchienLokeroAlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They're fun at first. Less so over time. But most things are.
    MendelAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I liked them in Warhammer.  The problem was that some of them required more people than we had after a while.  Then of course there was the issue with making it a competition so everyone wanted to click buttons super fast to "score" high enough to get the best drop.   

And then the fact that a chunk of them would just get bugged...

But despite all that I thought they were one of the better innovations by the game.
    Mendel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I liked them in Warhammer.  The problem was that some of them required more people than we had after a while.  Then of course there was the issue with making it a competition so everyone wanted to click buttons super fast to "score" high enough to get the best drop.   

And then the fact that a chunk of them would just get bugged...

But despite all that I thought they were one of the better innovations by the game.
    I would have like to see some repercussions if the dynamic event wasn't countered.  My favorite of the Warhammer dynamic events was the invasion by a bunch of 'Viking-like invaders'.  The players had to run around and defeat the invaders and burn their boats.  When I was playing WH, this event was almost always deserted of players, so the invaders would almost always 'win'.  Only, when the invaders won, they simply went away.  It would have been much more interesting if an invader win on the beaches triggered larger invasions in nearby areas and cutting off all quests in the 'conquered' areas.

Slapshot1188CaffynatedAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
    None of the systems we have are Dynamic, I think the best way we have seen to accomplish this is unannounced GM events like UO / A.C/ and EQ would do , of course that brings it own set of hurdles , like cost/resource from dev and let's not forget all the whiners who piss and moan that it's not fair they missed it 
    obii
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    In Vanilla Rift. Meta events were fun. Problem was that game didnt have level scaling to make low level zones more fun and useful to max level players. So some Dynamic Events went ignored. The individual Rift could have used some improvement. 
    GW2 has the best dynamic events. Just they need more imo. Especially the Meta events. They are extremely fun that I just chain farm them.

Expansion launching events in WoW are very immersive and fun. But short lived.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Scorchien said:
    None of the systems we have are Dynamic, I think the best way we have seen to accomplish this is unannounced GM events like UO / A.C/ and EQ would do , of course that brings it own set of hurdles , like cost/resource from dev and let's not forget all the whiners who piss and moan that it's not fair they missed it 
    The most Dynamic it's going to get is if players themselves controlled events against other players. Key master trolls of the internet can craft amazing hostile large scale event content 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2019
    They are fun while they are fresh. If Arenanet had evolved their DE's to give more than a two outcomes (attack/defend) they would have been the perfect way to add dynamic content into an mmo. I still think nobody has done it better so far, but they need to be more varied, longer, and less recyclable.

My opinion.
    AlBQuirky

Arlene9 said:
    I hate the Hearts in GW2 because they so much like traditional static quest grind. But there is a place for that kind of thing since it's always on demand unlike Dynamic events

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Besieged within FFXI lasted forever,basically 2 events per day and after all those years,players still enjoyed going to it.
    I heard some mention of blending it into the world,no Rift did not do that at all,sure it happened in the world but that was it.Within Besieged,the repercussions lasted beyond the event.Npc's could be captured and you could later go into the game world and rescue those npc's so they could return to their post and deliver the services you expect.

What really turns me off is that FFXI's Besieged was accomplished for the PS2,yet nothing ever came close in all these big budget PC games.It really told me these developers are just super lazy,bad at developing their own unique content and CHEAP,all they want to give us is linear hand holding questing and instance dungeons.
    MOST games only deliver seasonal events,like a Valentines day,Christmas ,Easter  events,well FFXI does those as well.I would take FFXI's runner up event "Campaign" over any of these other game's offerings,really sad that one game has two better events than all the other games combined,tells you how lazy they really are.
    Then keeping the event within the realm of the world your character resides in seems even tougher to do,as we saw an example of GW2 doing that way out of place super mario land,jump gate.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I dont like the Rifts in Rift, but I love the zone events, and spent hours every day doing them jumping from zone to zone, never did quests.  I like them as an alternative way to level

that being said Rift really dumbed them down as time went on, there was a time when invasions would take over cities, it was awesome

AlBQuirky
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Dynamic events and dynamic questing, and more importantly, player driven events and player driven questing is where MMORPG's *should* have gone.

Instead they are standing still, decaying.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    AlBQuirky said:

that is the thing, if you are immortal and never die, why you belive the enemy would be diferent?, also sometimes that is the only route for one place to another, any deviation would be useless because they would have to pass on that point, most supply/caravan/merchants raids from army/bandits was alwyas on places such was these, places people are forced to take to get to a certain destination
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, as already mentioned, they mostly really aren't even dynamic events.  They really should have called them something like "cyclical events" or "chain events", but so many things are poorly named.

I think the current implementation is "better than nothing".  It adds some repeatable group content to the open-world, but the way people just run around in circles farming them certainly makes them boring beyond belief.

It's a real improvement over a completely lifeless world, but they probably should have created them with more variety and potential paths.  Plus, they repeat way too often, imho.
    It's basically like an amusement park ride, as it stands.  You just wait there for 5 minutes for the  next ride to begin.
    AlBQuirky
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    i enjoyed the warhammer ones, i didnt care for GW2 and didnt play Rift.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I enjoy them a lot.

Public quests were one of the best innovations in MMO design and added a whole new feel to the leveling experience. Players in most MMOs see other people in the same questing  area as a nuisance, but PQs turn everybody into allies. Combine it with Public Groups where you can set your group to public and every ungrouped player who enters your area gets an invite, and we had one of the most cooperative gaming environments in MMOs until GW2 came out.  

GW2 dynamic events, while generally less interesting and lacking in depth than PQs, took the design to another level. It was no longer a static point on the map where nothing else happened while the PQ was on cooldown. Dynamic events brought the world to life in ways we hadn't seen before. One minute you're happily doing a heart, and suddenly an army of undead are spilling into the hub, and a little while later Krait slavers are abducting townsfolk. Fail to stop them and a new DE pops up to rescue the slaves. Sure, it isn't a system for permanent world altering changes, but you wouldn't notice that unless you sat around in the same spot for 20 minutes and the game isn't designed for you to do that; so don't. Meta events are great. Doing event chains to cleanse the temples in Orr were mechanically janky, but conceptually brilliant. 

Rifts were shallow but fun, especially at launch when they were very powerful and would send out roving armies to take over quest hubs, set up their own base and eventually open a new rift. They spread like cancer across a zone if left unchecked. Meta events were great with an entire zone going from peaceful to full on invasions in a matter of seconds. Everything goes dark, the trumpets sound and the sky rips open with dozens of elite rifts with mini-raid boss encounters at many of them.

Fates too often felt out of place, like they weren't really part of the game world. Some were good, but they were mostly somewhere between meh and bad. 

In all, I would love for games to copy and expand on these systems. They're a huge improvement over static worlds that we see in WoW or BDO. 
    AlBQuirky
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Horizons tried this early on when they first released that game. 
     They had areas where you could build player run towns but once you started the Blight (enemy NPCs) would start to mass nearby and start having raids and attacks on the area. If it was not defended well enough they could destroy it.
     They also have events where you might dig a tunnel or a bridge to open up a new race or area in the game but the Blight would mass and oppose it.
     Unfortunately computer tech back then was not up to the task so the game have issues and I think most of the events were run by GMs instead of the game AI but this was in early 2002 or so.
     So the game didn't do well and never developed into what it could have been.
    It would be nice to see what could be done with something like this today.
    AlBQuirky