Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 3 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageA Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 3 - MMORPG.com

Last week we covered the five Archetypes added with City of Villains and today we’re continuing this guide series with a look at Kheldians, the Epic Archetypes added to City of Heroes in Issue 3.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Incredible the resurgence of this game recently. I have never played CoH and by the time I was able to really try it they shut it down. I might jump in and try it, but the visuals are really dated and I don't know how long I will be able to ignore them.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I love just seeing this game being part of the conversation. Missed that.
    itchmonMikeBRemyVorenderwingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited May 2019
    How did we deal with that awful 240p video back in the day? It wouldn't look good even if it was projected onto your fingernail.
    MikeBTruvidien88ConstantineMeruswingoodGladDog
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Still looks better than GTA San Andreas and both games came out the same year.

The graphics aren't going to get any better. If you don't like the graphics and it's eating you up inside then don't play the game. People that play the game don't want to listen to your bitching.
    [Deleted User]gunklackerGladDog

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I know the graphics are dated, but that allowed players to have so many options for costumes and have fast load times. This game is still awesome!
    Harikenwingood[Deleted User]gunklacker
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited May 2019
    Where was part 2? nvm found it.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The graphics aren't going to get any better. If you don't like the graphics and it's eating you up inside then don't play the game. People that play the game don't want to listen to your bitching.

Actually, this is indeed a possibility. The patch that dropped yesterday improved a number of things on that front.
    gervaise1wingoodgunklacker
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

MikeB said:

Actually, this is indeed a possibility. The patch that dropped yesterday improved a number of things on that front.

Oh? That's intriguing.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I had fun playing a squidy, I had a poignant backstory about a wife looking for her missing husband (an earlier character who had been experimented on by Dr. Vahzilok but escaped to become a hero, but he'd lost his memory and some other parts of his psyche) -- she ventured in her desperation into a dangerous area, and was mortally wounded by villains, but was given a new lease on life through a Kheldian's bonding with her...

Some of us old-timers pre-date Pong, and this whining about graphics is hard to believe. Must be awful to be unable to enjoy a game just because of the graphics. I mean, I know what it's like to be put off by the look of something (City of Champions) but if the gameplay is good, I don't let things like that bother me.

Now, confining the action to ortho view (no real flight, no 3D over-the-shoulder or first-person(ish) view, etc.) the way Marvel did with their game, THAT really puts me off -- but other people love that style!

Chacun a son gout -- (excuse the missing diacritical marks).
    Blaze_Rocker
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited June 2019
    MikeB said:

I wouldn't have put much hope into improving the graphics of a 15+ year old game, after it had already received an upgrade during its original lifespan, without such improvements becoming detrimental to the game's stability. I'd like to see how it turns out after about a week.
    GladDogwingood

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    one thing you forgot to mention for kehldian is their reliance on macros to switch form and powerbar at the same time. this will GREATLY improve your experience playing a WS/PB.

oh and a good way to clear CC when you are in human/shrimp form is to switch to dwarf and back to human/shrimp.

at lvl 50 though, you won't really use non-human form. i'm talking about warshade here since i've never played peacebringer.
    the human form WS is incredibly strong and has so many toggle ability that you will not want to swap form unless absolutely forced to (switching to dwarf to offtank in case of an ambush that the tank didn't/couldn't catch).

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

MikeB said:

I wouldn't have put much hope into improving the graphics of a 15+ year old game, after it had already received an upgrade during its original lifespan, without such improvements becoming detrimental to the game's stability. I'd like to see how it turns out after about a week.

When I was going through the character creator I noticed that there are some newer costume items that are much higher quality, so they could definitely improve the visuals. That work is more than half of making a game though (an MMORPFG anyway), so I wouldn't expect a complete update from a free project.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Have a look at this video and my game looks better than that.

The visuals aren't that bad at all. I used a high resolution and bumped all the advanced graphics and game looks very nice. You need to try the game before you dismiss the graphics, the art style also makes it age well.
    Chamber of Chains