Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dave Brevik's It Lurks Below Game Leaves Steam Early Access - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDave Brevik's It Lurks Below Game Leaves Steam Early Access - MMORPG.com News

Graybeard Games, the development company founded by David Brevik, has announced that Lurks Below has officially left Steam Early Access after just over a year. Those who wish to purchase the 3D action-survival title can do so for $20. About 500 players have reviewed It Lurks Below on Steam, handing it a 90% positive rating.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For a moment I thought I had travelled in time to the very earliest days of gaming.
    SBFordScotRoinOyjord

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I don't get the "magic" of these 2D retro graphics. Could be the greatest gameplay in history and I still couldn't -- or wouldn't -- play it. I'm a graphics snob. D:
    MadFrenchieIlayaElvoc[Deleted User]borghive49mysticmouseacidbloodMyrdynnmmolouAmatheand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I've always seen that type of graphics labeled as a 2D. Maybe I'm just old...

Either way, I don't find it appealing. I'm way over Sega looking graphics.
    Oyjord
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Amathe said:

For a moment I thought I had travelled in time to the very earliest days of gaming.

Have you ever heard of a game called Terraria?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    It looks good but all the videos/gif i've seen seem to have a lot of mouse based gameplay. It would be great to have this on the N Switch for some on the go dungeon crawling.
    Oyjord

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    I don't get the "magic" of these 2D retro graphics. Could be the greatest gameplay in history and I still couldn't -- or wouldn't -- play it. I'm a graphics snob. D:
    I wouldn't call you a snob for disliking 2D- it's not the "D" of choice (in B4 @ConstantineMerus make a penis joke!) for most today for a reason!
    SBFordConstantineMerus

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can handle a bit dated graphics,i mean i played FFXI for a very long time but i need mechanics and tech to look a bit modern.
    When we can take an idea and just do it better,why would we choose to do it worse and why would we want as gamer's to play a WORSE version of the idea?
    MOST games give us VERY simple ideas,side scroll and start pew pewing enemies..good game ,thanks for playing.
    I feel at this point ,since i keep seeing so many bad games rolling through the turnstiles,devs simply do not care,they throw enough crap at the wall something will stick.I have seen tons of really bad,like really bad simpleton games garnering millions in sales,it baffles me,it is like consumers see NEW GAME...must buy.
    I get it ,people are bored,they just got paid,they want to buy something,they want entertainment but people should draw the line in the sand,often these games are not worth the time of day let alone any cost.
    Myrdynn

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    I wouldn't call you a snob for disliking 2D- it's not the "D" of choice (in B4 @ConstantineMerus make a penis joke!) for most today for a reason!
    Did you just D block me!?
    MadFrenchiebcbullySovrathTacticalZombehSaltyDog79[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

SBFord said:

Exactly this. I simply CAN'T stay that GFX.
    I don't have a 2500€ PC under my Desk to play these kinda Games. I need all the shiny things. All the gorgeous looking stuff. This and Minecraft alike Games are not for me anymore. C64 was a long time ago, now we have 2019. Sry :(
    SBFord
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Playing this game will 100% make you sad that Brevik isn't working for a company with a larger infrastructure and budget. System design in his games always scratch RPG itch for me. Replay-ability, grind, ability and gear progression, and the ability to be at least somewhat creative.

Not sure whether he hasn't been offered or has just declined offers , perhaps both?
    Liljna
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Watched a lot of his wife's streams with the game. It's minecraft+Terraria+ARPG. Graphics might not be everyone's cup of tea but David knows solid mechanics. Would be a great pick up for anyone interested.
    BruceYeeJeffSpicoliThupli
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Ilaya said:

SBFord said:

I don't have a 2500€ PC under my Desk to play these kinda Games. I need all the shiny things. All the gorgeous looking stuff. This and Minecraft alike Games are not for me anymore. C64 was a long time ago, now we have 2019. Sry :(
    It's not about "going forward/it's 2019."

Part of it could be finances but part of it is that these games evoke another time.

Remember, for some people, these "graphics" were cutting edge at one time. We experienced them as cutting edge. there was a time when this was more than acceptable.

go forward years and years and it does conjure a sense of nostaligia and a time when this type of game was awesome.

Therefore, for some people, it's no issue to "go back" and experience that feeling as long as the game play is good.

Also, for gamers/players, video games aren't really that old. 40 something, 50 something years? Players/gamers don't have a lot of time to truly experience or even consider that the start of this genre is still fresh in people's minds.

Give it another 100 or 200 years (hopefully we won't have offed ourselves) and there will be a longer history and sense of scope as to the evolution of video games. They very well might be played in a similar way to someone opening up a Dicken's novel or viewing Nosferatu.

Well, at least for some. B)
    etlarIlayaJeffSpicoli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Sovrath said:

Ilaya said:

SBFord said:

Part of it could be finances but part of it is that these games evoke another time.

Remember, for some people, these "graphics" were cutting edge at one time. We experienced them as cutting edge. there was a time when this was more than acceptable.

go forward years and years and it does conjure a sense of nostaligia and a time when this type of game was awesome.

Therefore, for some people, it's no issue to "go back" and experience that feeling as long as the game play is good.

Also, for gamers/players, video games aren't really that old. 40 something, 50 something years? Players/gamers don't have a lot of time to truly experience or even consider that the start of this genre is still fresh in people's minds.

Give it another 100 or 200 years (hopefully we won't have offed ourselves) and there will be a longer history and sense of scope as to the evolution of video games. They very well might be played in a similar way to someone opening up a Dicken's novel or viewing Nosferatu.

^^^^^^^^^^
    This

Imagine my wonder when I walked into 5th grade class and saw my first 'pc': a Radio Shack TRS-80. It ran off a cassette deck. First and second video games I ever played were Motorcycle Jump and Pillbox - neither of which I can find pictures of on the Internet. Motorcycle jump was an Italic O or 0..can't remember, but it just ran across the black and white screen and you hit the space bar to jump it over a bunch of xxxxx's

To jump on the 'gameplay trumps graphics' bandwagon, I'd challenge anyone to play Limbo and not get sucked into it.

https://playdead.com/games/limbo/
    Sovrath
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited May 2019
    Thank god I don't have any kind obsession with graphics when it comes to gaming. Otherwise I would have missed tons of masterpieces that I played through all these years.
    Post edited by Nepheth on
    Phixion13ScotLiljnaJeffSpicoliXarko[Deleted User]immodiumSovrathThupli
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If you can get into the type of game this is it can be hundreds/thousands of hours of entertainment. For me this is one of my favorite games on Steam for the variety of stuff you can do. Every last detail in this game you can tell was thought of and created perfectly in true Brevik fashion.
    [Deleted User]ScotMadFrenchieJeffSpicoliSovrathThupli
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I have no idea what this game is like but if we can't park our obsession with graphics what hope is there for innovative gameplay, hell just decent gameplay?
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]Thupli
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited May 2019

SBFord said:

2D or 3D I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting nice well styled graphics... I also don't consider this style as 'retro graphics'; retro graphics were actually clear and well designed for systems that ran them, this new style of low-res 'retro' with ‘realistic’ lighting / detail just looks like a dog’s breakfast.
    edited May 2019
    What's up with hating on someone who enjoys gaming in a 3D space?  There's an objective argument to be made 3D is just simply more immersive.

"Thank God I'm not different, I'd hate myself!"

???

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    Although i consider myself a graphics whore, Starbound is one of my all time favorite games. There is a certain charm to the 2d graphics but what really makes it shine is the gameplay, I don't even want to see how many hours I'v sunk into that one  :D
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Lets not forget 

I think its safe to say everyone here loves this game ? Yes
    [Deleted User]kitaradSovrath
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited May 2019

Sovrath said:

Ilaya said:

SBFord said:

:)

I hear you loud and clear!
    And to some degree i'm with you and more over, i fully understand you. I started with an Sinclair ZX Spectrum, so i'm an "Old Fart" in regards to Games, i think that 50+ is somewhat "Old", at least i consider myself that way :) . So diving "back" and take a deep breath of "what once was" is a nice thing. Rly, i fully get that. And it is not the way that i don't "feel" that need sometimes. Be assured.

But then, back then, when i played these "old games" which had "Top Notch" gfx back then, i was thinking every time what may the Future bring us in regards to that. And i loved so far what i was able to experience. We have seen so much "Evolving" in regards to Games, Systems behind and Onscreen, GFX. And i love that i had the chance to be one of it's Pioneers. That Time was and still is wonderful!

But now i love what the above mentioned Future has become. Thats why i can't stand it anymore. As stated above, i was always dreaming about what is coming next. And that hasn't stopped :) And as we have more opportunities now, i think i won't be able to stop that "feeling" ever :D

And ofc, as a by Heart Gamer, i feel good for all the ppl out there which can play these Games!! You all may have a Hell full of Fun with these. But i wait...for the next shiny (and good?!!) thing to kick "me" "again" :) :)
    Post edited by Ilaya on
    JeffSpicoliSovrath
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I played and liked Chronicon, awesome game for a 2D game, the best I have ever played

problem is I get graphic'd out after about 2 weeks

When folks are talking about 2D vs 3D, their opinion isn't concerned with aesthetic beauty.  It's spatial awareness/immersion.  3D is superior in that space to 2D, which is why games have largely moved on.

I get that 2D is cheaper...  Sometimes, you actually do get what you pay for with these things.  

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    SBFord said:
    I love this stuff and I still don't get the "magic"... 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    It looks like an old school game called Dig Dug......