Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Chaosbane Review: Let Chaos Reign! - Warhammer: Chaosbane Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWarhammer Chaosbane Review: Let Chaos Reign! - Warhammer: Chaosbane Review

To the elation of many, Warhammer has firmly stepped into the ARPG realm with Warhammer: Chaosbane. Developed by Eko Software, and published by Bigben Interactive, Chaosbane emphatically pursues a high-quality experience that appeals to both beginners and seasoned ARPG veterans. Does Warhammer: Chaosbane have what it takes to become a champion in the hack and slash genre, or will it go down in history as nothing more than a decrepit nurgling? This is our Warhammer: Chaosbane review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I've had fun thru the testing , particularly with the archer, looking forward to it's launch and further development
    JeffSpicoli
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Great! Have it pre-ordered but was kind of worried it wouldn’t deliver.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    The "Loot scarcity" worries me, Its why i play these games (ARPG's) . Are we talking amount of loot drops ? Variety of appearance ? Getting drops suited to your build ? Or a combination of all 3 ?

Like I'v said before Im a sucker for warhammer & ARPG's but after getting burned on Inquisitor Martyr I feel obligated to wait out some Steam reviews from fellow gamers on this one.
    WaanGinazwandericajdnewell
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200

lahnmir said:

Great! Have it pre-ordered but was kind of worried it wouldn’t deliver.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

the physical version may be late 1-2 weeks but thats not their fault I guess but you should got already the key today so will be able to play in early access as I just got mine 2 hours ago.

Happy gaming to you all guys its a good game with a lots of more potential.
    JeffSpicolilahnmir
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Question if anyone knows ? Is there a game plus mode ? Is it like Diablo after you beat the story you keep grinding higher levels?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Question if anyone knows ? Is there a game plus mode ? Is it like Diablo after you beat the story you keep grinding higher levels?

After you beat the story it unlocks a couple other modes. One is called boss rush where you just go straight to a boss, they plan to add ranking ladders to that one for a kind of who is better thing. It also unlocks expedition mode which you will use to grind out better stuff, it has random things that will make it harder, it is also a random map thing.

Haven't heard anything about adding a plus mode. Not really sure about it though. Don't think it is needed myself though.

One thing that is nice is after you beat it with one toon you will have all the unlocks on any alt you make.
    JeffSpicoli
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It’s a slow build, but gets really fun. SLAYER!
    JeffSpicoli

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Hey ThortonMelon, check out:

https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/warhammer-chaosbane-end-game-and-post-launch-trailer/

for your answer :-)
    JeffSpicoli
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

It’s a slow build, but gets really fun. SLAYER!

Umm, no boss, Wood Elf Ranger FTW :-)
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Am I seeing just an Archmage in this and no Bright Wizard?! Probably saving it for an expansion.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    The "Loot scarcity" worries me, Its why i play these games (ARPG's) . Are we talking amount of loot drops ? Variety of appearance ? Getting drops suited to your build ? Or a combination of all 3 ?

Like I'v said before Im a sucker for warhammer & ARPG's but after getting burned on Inquisitor Martyr I feel obligated to wait out some Steam reviews from fellow gamers on this one.
    Heyo! So in regards to loot scarcity, for the first several levels, there were gear pieces that I had earned on my first run, that I never received upgrades for.  It took me until near the end of the first act to finally get a full set of rare gear, simply because it didn't drop often, even while on Very Hard mode. 

Eventually the amount of loot that you find increases.  As levels increase in size and elite mobs also increase in the levels, you tend to find better, more consistent drops, but it feels like the early game is scant on significant level-appropriate drops.  It's not even worth it to worry about build concepts in the early game, I didn't get enough drops to coordinate any specialized sets.  It does get better though.  My complaint is directed in comparison to other ARPG's. 

The variety of appearance is pretty good, though some characters are better than others. You can't really see Bragi's tattoos very well... which, yes, you can slot and reslot tattoo's. 
    JeffSpicolimike32927
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    1.5 weeks Ramadhan long holiday. Can't believe I'm paying $10 more for a 4-days early access but in this case that means a lot.
    maskedweaselXarko
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I have read other reviews that are not so positive, like there is no enemy diversity... I will wait some months before I buy it.. To expensive also..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    snoocky said:
    I have read other reviews that are not so positive, like there is no enemy diversity... I will wait some months before I buy it.. To expensive also..
    This review says the same thing about enemy diversity, but in spite of that, it's still a solid game. When you think about it, ARPG's aren't known for their enemy diversity. More along the lines of the amounts of enemies you end up coming across.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Lot of negative reviews. The game is bit on simpler side. But what really counts : the gameplay, is awesome

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    considering the warhammer universe they couldn't have made the characters selection more bland and the ennemies type less diverse. Not to say some game version are clearly at advantage and somewhat P2W. A big no for me and looking forward POE melee combat update
  • EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52
    What I actually read in this 8.7 review:

Enemies are easy and uninspired/unvaried and telegraph attack, making combat boring. Works better on controller, which tells me it's simplistic and meant for console. Items and gear are scarce and unimpressive. Exploratiom is tedious. Character customization is lacking. Difficulty is nearly non-existent.

The 8.7, for an ARPG let's not forget, is based on the pros: story, visuals, audio, and replayability. Those are the seeling points? If that gets an ARPG an 8.7 when the CONS are the loot, the areas, and the enemies, those visuals and story must be next level, mindmeltingmy good, that they make up the the loot system and the maps/combat/enemies.

I guess I'm just confused? A controller-focused ARPG with lackluster maps, enemies, combat, and looting, with a cool, Warhammer-fan centric story and cool characters? Sounds like a comic book rather than a high budget, high priced, high quality ARPG.
    [Deleted User]
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    This a 1.5A game. I dont even want to strip it down to all its failures.

Everything is bland in this game. This what a book example 5-6 would look like. Just enough effort to pass and start collecting money.

Also only 4 characters and almost none of the huge classes. With bare minimum mechanics. Its completely focused on expansions. And seeing how they made end game content a priority I dont even expect a nice delivery schedule for those.

Bright wizard, witch hunter, warrior priest,swordmaster, white lion, spellsinger, ward dancer, phoenix/sea guard, engineer, ironbreaker, runesmiths... just a few of the more iconic classes and only if we count lawful races.

I really think GWW should start selling its IP to asian studios that at least know how to deliver good ARPGs in mass production.
    Cynehild
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It looks and plays like a game from 10 years ago.  The animations and overall graphics look Ps3-era.  In an action game that's not acceptable for a new release imo.  
    Celcius
    This a 1.5A game. I dont even want to strip it down to all its failures.

Everything is bland in this game. This what a book example 5-6 would look like. Just enough effort to pass and start collecting money.

Also only 4 characters and almost none of the huge classes. With bare minimum mechanics. Its completely focused on expansions. And seeing how they made end game content a priority I dont even expect a nice delivery schedule for those.

Bright wizard, witch hunter, warrior priest,swordmaster, white lion, spellsinger, ward dancer, phoenix/sea guard, engineer, ironbreaker, runesmiths... just a few of the more iconic classes and only if we count lawful races.

I really think GWW should start selling its IP to asian studios that at least know how to deliver good ARPGs in mass production.
    Which studios are that?

Diablo, Blizzard, out of california

Torchlight, runic games, out of Seattle

grim dawn, crate studios out of Massachusetts

Path of Exile, Grinding gear games, out of New Zealand. 

I can't think of any asian companies that have had major hits in this particular arpg genre. 
    MyrdynnH0urg1ass

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2019
    In my opinion, this game is getting extremely overrated all over the place...

It's like Dungeon Siege III.. 'just' qualifies as an aRPG but really it's more like an arcade style beat-em-up.

Pagan Online is a better choice for this kind of game at the moment if someone's looking for a new one.
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

It's like Dungeon Siege III.. 'just' qualifies as an aRPG but really it's more like an arcade style beat-em-up.

Pagan Online is a better choice for this kind of game at the moment if someone's looking for a new one.
    Good plug, Pagan is MUCH better even in early access atm.  When they get their endgame loop /systems in place it will be even better.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

yeaa... except WASD movement in an ARPG sucks

No Armor in a ARPG kinda sucks

Game is quite short at this time ...

Shows some promise  but  WASD and lack of loot kill this game for me
    [Deleted User]maskedweasel

Good plug, Pagan is MUCH better even in early access atm.  When they get their endgame loop /systems in place it will be even better.
    If by much better you mean cheaper, than I agree, it is cheaper, right now, and it is an alright game, but Chaosbane is a great game.  I do think they need more classes though. 
    Scorchien[Deleted User]

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited June 2019
    As an ARPG, in my opinion, it is average at best. Other options such as POE, Grim Dawn or Diablo 3 all offer better experiences overall. It would make more sense to me if this game were a $30 ARPG to fool around with for a few hours here and there just to experience the ambiance, but it's clunky and without heart in comparison to it's contemporaries.
    kikoodutroa8Celcius