Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to start

OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
So with all the talk about the "meh"community, and alot of negative feedback about the game, i wanted to try it for some reason haha.  

So I will be looking for guild, one that likes to chat, social >gameplay for me. If anyone is in 1 or has a suggestion lemme know : )
Got it downloading now. I REALLY enjoyed GW1, but was a WoW player when 2 launched and never looked  into it. So excited : )

Comments

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    edited May 2019
    I have 1 question, im going thru the wiki. And I see Scourge as a support class but it requires heart of fire. My question is, when does that take effect? I wanna play for abit to see if I like the gameplay. But if I buy heart of fire can I be a scourge instantly? Or is there a level I reach to unlock it?
  • AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    So the way GW2 works is that for all the elite specializations you need to buy the Xpacs. For the specialization you're talking about you 100% need to buy Path of Fire. With that being said, you won't instantly unlock it. You have to earn hero points to unlock it, BUT I recommend doing this for all classes. Go to the spvp lobby and all your traits are unlocked like you're a max level. You can select your stats, runes, and sigils in there as well with max level stats. Just note that this only applies in the spvp mode. If you don't like doing pve to get the hero points you can actually do WvW to get them as well. 

Also, not sure who said that GW2 has a bad community, but from my experience it has the best community of any mmo I've played. The Spvp community is probably the worst of the bunch because of its competitive nature, but still not completely bad.
    OGDeathRowOctagon7711
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited May 2019
    It will be a long time before you can play Scourge in PvE and World vs World PvP. You will need to be max level and then play at max level for some time to obtain all the hero points needed to unlock all the skills for the spec. Necromancer is a great class though, I main a Reaper Necromancer myself. Scourge is a Necromancer specialization so you'll want to pick Necromancer as your class if you want to be Scourge.

You'd be able to play scourge straight away (well, level 10) in sPvP (battlegrounds) if you have the expansion. Everyone has access to everything in sPvP, it's separate from the PvE progression. You go into a lobby called The Mists and sort out your sPvP build from there. There's a training area so you can go there to try out the spec without having to fight other players.. you'll just need to get a Necromancer to level 10 first then you can enter The Mists from anywhere.

Scourge is a fairly advanced spec to play though, especially for a beginner. Just something to be aware of really because you might find it a bit overwhelming if you jump straight into sPvP as a Scourge. It'll probably leave a bad first impression if you go there to try it out before committing to a main class.
    OGDeathRow
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Very informative thank you above 2 posters.
    Should mention that you can only choose the elite specializations, like Reaper or Scourge, from the 'bottom' specialization slot in the Traits interface. You'll know what I mean when you're looking at it.

It's something that trips up most new players because nothing in game tells you about it.
    I think its important to know that almost any class can fulfill a support role. Since there are no dedicated healers in the game the roles are a little more diverse. Usually in WvW staff elementalists are sought after for their aoe water healing/cleanse, raid synergy, as well as their ranged aoe. Chronomancers (mesmer) can be used for their alacrity (ability speed buff), boon share, portals, veil (group invis) etc.. Necromancers in general are good for their large aoe burst. Guardians are great for front-line support and boons. Engineers are a mixed bag of everything. Don't feel like you're just stuck with one class for one role. The majority of classes can fill most roles. It just depends on your build of traits and gear, which is why I recommend going into the spvp lobby. They have training dummies that let you can run through your rotations and visualize your damage without having to grind for gear. I wouldn't recommend just jumping into a spvp match to test out a class. PvE, WvW, and sPvP all have different things to build for.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    As others have said you will need buy Path of Fire to access the Elite Spec, and this holds true for sPvP as well.

I am going to say, do not start this game with an idea of "Support", as the game does not have a traditional Trinity Role, if you do plan to play Support, for the typical MMO benefits of as Support Class, I would Suggest Druid (Healer) or Chrono (Buff/Debuff) 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's fun 1-80 then the cool things about it like a lack of a holy trinity or end game etc will kick in and that's when the meh will begin. Then you grind hero points or do achievements or whatever then slowly lose interest over time. But it's a fun little game for what it is.
    Ungood

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

edited May 2019
    Thanks for all the info.

I played last night for about 1 1/2 got to level 8. Was pretty overwhelming at the start going thru all the options (char menu/skills etc) I chose a high pop server and it was great. The questing seems different, its like world events in WoW, goto the heart and fill the bar. I like this system alot : )

Do i need to buy both xpacs right away, as in will they make my early leveling any better? or can i just get path of fire for scourge when i pvp? or is it best to go in order? 
    Im in no rush to blitz to max level, if i get HoF i dont plan on using hte boost. Wanna enjoy the ride.

There was also a fair number of people in the area as well, every quest spot had several people there, and the public events (really enjoyed those in Warhammer when it existed) had several people as well. I enjoy watching the cutscenes and curious to where the story goes.

I joined a guild called Just Kill The Dragon, right off the bat they were helpful with some tips. Guild chat was really buzzing too. Nice to see.

Cant wait to play again tonight. Thanks again guys.

EDIT: I always lean towards necromancers/warlocks in games.......evil or bust! So interested in play a necro as a support, I always wanted to : )
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I am going to suggest just playing Core for now, as the Xpacs don't provide anything till you are level 80 anyway, they are "End Game" content, in the purest form.

And yes, I loved how GW2 handled playing the game with Dynamic Events, Hearts, Map Exploration, Dungeons, Fractals, World Bosses, and personal story. Also, leveling is fast and easy, damn near anything and everything you do will provide EXP.

Also, just a heads up, there is a LOT more content in this game then you will ever need to max level, no joke, even if all you did was map completion, you would be 80th before you finished base world maps.

So, this is not like other games were you feel the need to grind anything, in fact you can max level without ever doing the same thing twice.

or you can grind out the high exp Content and max out that way pretty quick as well. You have choices.

Also, start crafting now, unlike most games, in GW2, crafting becomes viable at very low levels, you can quite literally make your own "bis" gear as you level up.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Every server is populated with huge guilds. You won't have trouble getting in one. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Good luck...Tried 3 different times and was bored by level 15 each time.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Good luck...Tried 3 different times and was bored by level 15 each time.
    Did you try playing a Mesmer? I really enjoyed that class. A guy on my server had his own guild which he called <This One Is The Clone>, so that his main and all his clones would show that. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

If you're in no rush to get to the end game or max level. I would also suggest playing the base game to make sure that you enjoy it first, then buy whichever xpac or both if you enjoy it. You can still do every mode in the base version of the game. 

World completion is a pretty good experience the first play through. You get an item that's needed for legendary crafting as well. There are side activities in each zone too that the game doesn't just outright tell you. These are mostly in the form of jumping puzzles, world bosses (in some zones), meta events (one quest leads to a series of repeatable events).

If you get bored with one mode you can always switch to another and level through there. sPvP and WvW give you tomes of knowledge which grant you an entire level outright and very frequently. I have over a thousand just sitting in my bank.
    edited May 2019
    I am actually glad that there is actual support instead of just raw healers. 

My main in ESO (PvP) is actually full support. I run buff/debuff/shield/damage mitigation/CC and as long as i get 1 DPS who knows his survivability tools pretty much steamroll BG's.

However said build does nothing for PVE as that requires dedicated healing.

EDIT: I should mention I dont really play eso. I bought the base game, most of the time im logging in is to play with my daughter. Its a great game, just not 1 I find myself overly drawn too. Its fun in small spurts.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Have fun, it's a good game and a helpful guild will take care of all nearly your questions.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Good themepark experience but it loses me at endgame, enjoy the journey
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

The only reason I'd say it's worth getting an expansion straight away is for the mount. You'd get a level 80 boost so you could make another character and just do the first Path of Fire quest to get a mount. I don't suggest you keep playing that level 80 character though. Once you get the mount it's account wide so your levelling character will be able to use it too.

Having the mount improves the flow of the core game dramatically and I don't think anyone should miss out on having it. If you know you're going to keep playing at this point, it's worth getting that now to make the game even better.