Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Previews Upcoming Anthem Cataclysm Event - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBioWare Previews Upcoming Anthem Cataclysm Event - MMORPG.com

During a live stream earlier today, BioWare developers previewed the upcoming Cataclysm limited-time event. The event will run for approximately six weeks. Players enter a special map that is divided into a number of sections, though there is no set order in which they can be explored. Rewards and activities will change weekly throughout the duration.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Ahhhh,... that's really too bad. If it wasn't for getting a refund I may have not have went back.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited May 2019
    Purchased the game for $20 today. Really great experience for the price - though only solo (matchmaking doesn't work for campaign after recent patch, only for freeplay missions). Gameplay is much more fun than The Division 2 and graphics are much better than in Warframe.

Hopefully, the devs won't shutdown development after Cataclysm - outside of loot troubles the game is simply the best from all the shooters I've played.

edit: so I've tried freeplay / "open world" multiplayer. It's like two orders of magnitude better than Warframe's open world gameplay (people say it's imroved a lot in the recent patch). Good stuff. Feels a lot brtter than those Teralysts in Warframe where I do ~1% of group damage...
    Post edited by 3dom on
    [Deleted User]infomatzAlexanderVendiMauroDiogoDarkpigeonPhry[Deleted User]Octagon7711Nextrix[Deleted User]and 1 other.

Thank you for your time!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    At this point i'm just waiting for F2P. When an empty game in dire need of actual content gets "events" as content updates you know something is really wrong.
    GdemamiBakgrindOctagon7711

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    This is a Necro from April.

Oh wait. :D 
    [Deleted User]ScotPhryXarkoOctagon7711

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    In seriousness: why the hell did they think copying WoW Expeditions vis a vis the timer was a good idea?  That content WASN'T warmly received by the majority of gamers (at best, folks were decidedly lukewarm).  If this is their big idea to win back gamers, I feel for them for what I think will inevitably happen in the near future.
    PhryOctagon7711

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I am baffled at the timed nature of these events. Perhaps if they cycled constantly such that one was always active, there would be merit in that, but this implementation is just... sigh.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Portal154Portal154 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I keep watching Anthem news, hoping there will be something that makes me want to play again.
    Still.... nothing.
    Cataclysm sounds crap.
    What a shame, I really love this game, but once you've done everything a few times, there's just no point in doing it again.
    5TrooperinfomatzAlexanderVendiBellomoNextrix
  • Portal154Portal154 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Oh, there is one thing that I'm very happy to see:
    "• Luck has been removed from the game.
    • All suits will now have max luck by default (90%).
    • Any exisiting luck rolls will change to armour.
    "

Finally. Luck was a REALLY stupid stat. I tried all kinds of combinations to get luck to work for me, and it was just garbage. I'm glad they got rid of that crap. I might come back just so I can put on useful gear and do some runs, now that I can get rid of that gear I "had to wear" to increase my chances of getting an upgrade.
    5Trooperbartoni33infomatz
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Limited-time and holiday events with exclusive rewards can be really cool and are a good way for devs to keep players logging in regularly throughout the year, but they don't bring back players who left over gameplay flaws, design flaws, or lack of content. The building blocks are there for a good game, but it'll never become that if the dev team has already been reduced to a skeleton crew and they don't really even understand what players didn't like about it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2019
    I feel like I've been in the Matrix the past few years with all these bad/failure upon release titles I've been dodging. As an aside, weren't Cataclysms originally marketed as Anthem's version of raids?
    [Deleted User]
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Said it before.. these things should have happened twice a week (Wednesday and on weekends), every week, at launch.

Making the biggest piece of content a time trial isn't the best idea either imo. It's a niche crowd that enjoy that kind of thing. It's not going to bring people back.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Nb4 the surprise end to the event is the game shuts down. Or the community gets the challenge "Get 1,000,000 concurrent users online for 3 hours or else we'll nuke the servers."
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Cataclysm ... how fitting.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Real GaaS gameplay, you have to be online at event start, you can't put this off, the gameplay is not unlike what you have seen before but there is a big GaaS reason for doing it.

As I have commented on before all the worse marketing practices move from one game to another at the speed of light, so expect this one to be in your GaaS real soon.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Oh boy oh boy , new patch! they didn't say anything for like a month ... this is going to be good!*

Loading times are even more absurd
    finding a game takes way longer and you might get a error that takes you back to queue setup (happened 3 times to me)
    Play one sh , same shit , same loot , same boring grind
    Get a mouse pointer bug every 2 seconds whenever you try and go through your inventory etc ( you get no pointer on screen and have to exit whatever your in then go back to get the same bug again )
    Uninstalled.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

When they're finally adding something to this game, it's time limited?

This game is going to kill Bioware, and though I never thought I'd say so, it may be a good thing...

Gdemami
    The degree to which this game is floundering is just... tragically impressive.

I actually want to like and keep playing this game, but it's almost as if Bioware is actively trying to disappoint me.
    MadFrenchie
  • SmodenSmoden Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Anthem team: "Hey! We're finally putting out some of the content we promised, but it's for a limited time only, so you better come back and check it out before the opportunity passes you by for good!  FOMO, amirite?! AMIRITE?!"

Gross.  How dare you treat your customers that way.  Shame on you!!...

*inserts Anthem disc into ps4 while crying quietly*
    "Good game!"
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    This game is such a dumpster fire.  I say this as a Legion of Dawn edition Pre-Orderer.  I had such high hopes and the beta was impressive, I figured the only way from there was up.....boy was I wrong.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If you have Origin Access you will be able to play on the PTS.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Also, the worst part isn't even that this is temporary. It's that the rewards here are of a higher level than anything available already and afterwards.

This could actually kill the game completely between cataclysms. Any gear you can obtain between cataclysms is objectively inferior and obsolete. It's just absolutely laughable.

Imagine if Guild Wars 2's new maps had buffed rewards that are objectively more powerful than anything else in the game, but only for a month after that map releases. Imagine what that would do to the playerbase. That is essentially what is happening here, and it is absurd to even think about.
    Gdemami
  • LikesCakeLikesCake Newbie CommonPosts: 10

Ahhhh,... that's really too bad. If it wasn't for getting a refund I may have not have went back.

How did you get a refund? I tried multiple times, but Sony is horrible when it comes to refunds.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    LikesCake said:

How did you get a refund? I tried multiple times, but Sony is horrible when it comes to refunds.
    1. Always pay with a Credit Card
    2. Dispute it with your financial institute as NO Service Rendered on the bases of misleading marketing and false advertisement.
    3. Be prepared and willing to lose your account and any other games associated with it.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Why make it time limited... Urghhh...
  • HexamusHexamus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Well, at least Bioware is still releasing conetnt for all four people left playing.