Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's gate 3 confirmed from The Makers Of Divinity: Original Sin 2

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
edited June 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Update:

This morning, Larian put up a teaser on the company’s website with a big ol’ three (see above), which led many of us to believe that Divinity: Original Sin 3kunkken (and confirmed by Kotaku) leads to a whole bunch of hints that this is Baldur’s Gate 3, officially licensed from Dungeons & Dragons makers Wizards of the Coast.

https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-divinity-original-sin-2-are-teasing-bald-1835128071

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18646090/baldurs-gate-3-larian-studios-teaser

Post edited by Dragnelus on
rojoArcueid[Deleted User]laserit

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    Epic games exclusive?
    Steelhelm
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I can't wait for Sven's video whatever the game is.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Great co-op times with BG2.  I wonder what D&D rules will they use.  
    If this is BG3, it's going to be based on 5e because Wizard of the Coast will demand it. Even more so when their next big D&D 5e module to release is called Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.

[Deleted User]
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Larian can do it right, that's for sure. Looking forward to it. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    This sounds awesome.

I will ask: does Larian have any notable real time party combat experience?  Divinity has always been turn-based, right?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    This sounds awesome.

I will ask: does Larian have any notable real time party combat experience?  Divinity has always been turn-based, right?
    Didn't they add a real time component to Divinity 2? I thought I'd read something about that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    This sounds awesome.

Didn't they add a real time component to Divinity 2? I thought I'd read something about that.
    I think you might be thinking about Obsidian, who added turn-based to PoE2.

@Arterius as a real effect on the experience, I agree.  In terms of public reception to a new studio trying its hand at one of the most beloved cRPG franchises of all time?  I think it'd be a hole to dig out of if they went that route.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Dragnelus said:

This morning, Larian put up a teaser on the company’s website with a big ol’ three (see above), which led many of us to believe that Divinity: Original Sin 3kunkken (and confirmed by Kotaku) leads to a whole bunch of hints that this is Baldur’s Gate 3, officially licensed from Dungeons & Dragons makers Wizards of the Coast.

https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-divinity-original-sin-2-are-teasing-bald-1835128071

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18646090/baldurs-gate-3-larian-studios-teaser
    I hope it's more than just a rumor. If any studio can do it justice, Larian can.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    OK... this now has my interest!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

This sounds awesome.

They had no turn-based experience before making Original Sin. ;) Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are isometric cRPGs with real-time combat. Divine is solo (often called Diablo-like, but I don't agree), while Beyond has a party of two. Divinity 2 is a 3rd person action RPG game. Dragon Commander has real time strategy, turn-based strategy and real time dragon combat.
    MadFrenchie
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Personally it would be no good if BG3 was turn based, have nothing against turn based games but i think it would be a slap in the face for all the people that played and loved BG series.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

azarhal said:
    This sounds awesome.

They had no turn-based experience before making Original Sin. ;) Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are isometric cRPGs with real-time combat. Divine is solo (often called Diablo-like, but I don't agree), while Beyond has a party of two. Divinity 2 is a 3rd person action RPG game. Dragon Commander has real time strategy, turn-based strategy and real time dragon combat.
    Good to know!  I didn't realize, as I never layed those previous titles.  Good stuff!

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Arterius said:
    5e for sure... With how popular the game is right now they would be idiots not to
    )azarhal said:
    If this is BG3, it's going to be based on 5e because Wizard of the Coast will demand it. Even more so when their next big D&D 5e module to release is called Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.

Cool.  Had 5e been used in a game?

Arterius said:
    5e for sure... With how popular the game is right now they would be idiots not to
    )azarhal said:

Cool.  Had 5e been used in a game?

Sword Coasts Legend was inspired by e5, but that was limited to names and the fact that cantrips increase damage with levels and they don't take spell slot anymore so spellcasters can cast those all the way to level 20 instead of using crappy weapons if they don't have slotted spells left (although their implementation as all wrong with cooldowns and buying the upgrade).
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    While I think they will do an outstanding job on this mechanically, and it will very likely be the best BG as far as gameplay goes, I've never been that impressed with their story telling. 

I realize that Divinity OS was intended to be more comedic than serious, but the story, while entertaining, was not very deep or moving. I have my doubts about whether they can pull off a game like BG with its mystery, character development and complex narrative. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Not sure if Cthulu has invaded another world or weremind flayers are a thing now.