Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless Review - A Crossplay Gem - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ProlificUSProlificUS Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Interesting article. Might try it now. But I must say, the grammar and punctuation here are terrible. Many sentences missing words, leaving them incomplete sentences. I'm kinda shocked at how bad the writing is, not the article itself but as I said above how it's written. Standards seem to keep falling.
  • 5Trooper5Trooper Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I really like this games looks and gameplay. The cons do push me away from the game. However, it isnt a game that will keep me playing it for longer term. I'll play it here and there probably.
  • wonkerzwonkerz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited May 2019
    It's good game for casuls who never touch monster hunter, but... if you're a MH veteran then dauntless are practically trash ins outs even F2P won't save it. THIS IS THE TRUTH. No need to play this garbage, hunters can just play older MH titles and those still more fun than dauntless.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    ElonMusk said:
    Middle aged woman scores a boring game a 9 out of 10. lol
    If you're referring to Suzie, she didn't review it.  Look at the header for author or is that asking too much?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Installed the game as I got burnt from MH:W. I was pleasantly surprised. Personally I favor it more than MH (though undeniably MH deserves the credit for starting a genre) and have spent more time playing Dauntless. The combat is just so fluid & fast.

TBH at this rate I could wait for several months before I even think of playing Iceborne anymore.
    Asch126
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I find myself logging into both recently. MHW when I've got longer stretches of time, Dauntless for quick get-in and play sessions.
    Oh how that screws with my muscle memory, lol.

One thing I appreciate about Dauntless more is I feel more mobile and less locked into a lonnnng animation while I recover from the end of an attack chain, attack miss, or the ridiculously long stun time.

MHW is definitely deeper and Dauntless will have to keep things fresh with content and interesting progression.
  • rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    To give this game a 9 is like saying that the really good games deserve a 15 or more.. with few words absolutely ridiculous :P actually beyond ridiculous.. this game is a 65-70/100 if we wanna rate it ala-Metacritic & no more than that, any site who give higher score than that they are out of their minds or they have been payed, THE END.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Maybe coming from consoles, and being used to this exclusivity shit, I don't get the Steam vs Uplay vs Origin vs EGS hate?

So these long queues, do we HAVE to group up? I was hoping I could play this whole thing solo...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You gave it a 9???  ROFL.  More like a 7.5 at best.  Last time I read one of your reviews.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Im just playing this with my sister and when she have learned enough I will introduce her mh:w

• MeowdarlingMeowdarling Newbie CommonPosts: 9

evolgrinz said:

OH this game looks interesting,.... oh what? Epic exclusive?

Nevermind....

Play it on console peasant

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

lahnmir said:

On that scale every MH title should score a 15... Dauntless is fun but it offers about 20% of what the average MH title has to offer. Without the depth or delicate balance between crafting, hunting and slaying. Dauntless really isn’t bad (I installed it again) but it doesn’t hold a candle to that other game.

Better games would also be practically every other game in the genre: all God Eater games, Soul Sacrifice, both Toukiden games and Freedom Wars. I would rate Dauntless a 7 max at this point in its GAaS life cycle.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

If this is true,MH offers VERY little,meaning this is worth about $5.
    I am looking for large complete games,not games that look like low budget corner cutting, 1-2 ideas that are also not new and nothing more.

I have no interest to play MH,not even if someone gave me the game for free,so if this is even less of...a 9/10 seems like an April Fools joke.
    AeanderAsch126

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

On that scale every MH title should score a 15... Dauntless is fun but it offers about 20% of what the average MH title has to offer. Without the depth or delicate balance between crafting, hunting and slaying. Dauntless really isn’t bad (I installed it again) but it doesn’t hold a candle to that other game.

Better games would also be practically every other game in the genre: all God Eater games, Soul Sacrifice, both Toukiden games and Freedom Wars. I would rate Dauntless a 7 max at this point in its GAaS life cycle.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

I am looking for large complete games,not games that look like low budget corner cutting, 1-2 ideas that are also not new and nothing more.

I have no interest to play MH,not even if someone gave me the game for free,so if this is even less of...a 9/10 seems like an April Fools joke.
    Monster Hunter World looks like it's a low feature game on paper because people say you just beat monsters, craft gear, beat better monsters, etc. but when you play it's actually quite overwhelming. It's REALLY feature rich and I bet even you would admit it's a complete game if you tried it. It's damn beautiful too and is worth checking out just for the visuals.

Dauntless is awful. I hate it. Poor man's Monster Hunter. What you think Monster Hunter is, that's what Dauntless is for real. I doubt I would play Dauntless if it was the last game on earth.
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited June 2019
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

Monster Hunter World looks like it's a low feature game on paper because people say you just beat monsters, craft gear, beat better monsters, etc. but when you play it's actually quite overwhelming. It's REALLY feature rich and I bet even you would admit it's a complete game if you tried it. It's damn beautiful too and is worth checking out just for the visuals.

Dauntless is awful. I hate it. Poor man's Monster Hunter. What you think Monster Hunter is, that's what Dauntless is for real. I doubt I would play Dauntless if it was the last game on earth.
    You're actually commenting on this? Wizardry's statement is so absurd as to come from the moon.

The man (Wizardry) who thinks that Atlas is a gold standard for a "large complete game" just called Mother-Huntering MHW a low budget corner cutting game. 

You literally cannot make this shit up. Yes, this massive, deep game with dozens of bosses, complex ecosystems, immersive AI behavior, and environments handcrafted to be both monster battling arenas and believable terrain at the same time is definitely cutting corners. It should obviously take a note from Atlas and copy paste Ark assets over a barren, boring open world.
    Asch126
    edited June 2019
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

You're actually commenting on this? The man who thinks that Atlas is a gold standard for a "large complete game" just called Mother-Huntering MHW a low budget corner cutting game. 

You literally cannot make this shit up. Yes, this massive, deep game with dozens of bosses, complex ecosystems, immersive AI behavior, and environments handcrafted to be both monster battling arenas and believable terrain at the same time is definitely cutting corners. It should obviously take a note from Atlas and copy paste Ark assets over a barren, boring open world.
    Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.... GW2 *cough*
    If the target of said stones is Atlas, I can throw stones all fucking day. My house is fine.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

There are very, very few games that offer the depth and amount of gameplay that the MH series does. MHW is not even a good example as its a restart, you should give MHGU a shot. It has literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of deep and highly original gameplay. Hell, it has spawned an entire genre, talking about nothing new.

But you would need to learn, an awful lot, the first 10-20 hours you would be a stumbling fool. I went with Longsword instead of Switchaxe for MHGU and it took me about 50 hours to properly master it, and I am familiar with the series.

MH is really its own league, it won’t click with most though and thats ok. Dauntless might click with a lot more people since its faster and more accessible. Unfortunately it has also removed everything that gives the MH series depth, life and character, longetivity. 

TLDR: MH is the exact opposite of what you describe. And the funny part? If you would properly dig in I actually think you would like it, it sounds up your alley.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

You're actually commenting on this? The man who thinks that Atlas is a gold standard for a "large complete game" just called Mother-Huntering MHW a low budget corner cutting game. 

I think you meant to reply to Wiz. I don't like Atlas and I wasn't trying to hate on Dauntless.. it was more about replying to what Wiz said about MH:W.
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

I think you meant to reply to Wiz. I don't like Atlas and I wasn't trying to hate on Dauntless.. it was more about replying to what Wiz said about MH:W.
    The harshness of the comment was directed towards Wizardry.

I replied to you soley to say.... why are you even bothering to comment on something so obviously insane? Perhaps that is why Torval took a cheap shot.
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

I replied to you soley to say.... why are you even bothering to comment on something so obviously insane? Perhaps that is why Torval took a cheap shot.
    Oh, I see what you meant now. We might get through to Wiz one day, don't give up!
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

Oh, I see what you meant now. We might get through to Wiz one day, don't give up!
    I don't know. He's one of those "open worlds make everything better" people.

Meanwhile, I'm like "stop with the open worlds. We have too fucking many." Nothing ruins a game quite so profoundly as an open world that isn't well thought out and completely necessary, and that has created a deluge of mediocrity that actually has me hungering for such linear story masterpieces as the God of War reboot.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    I tried this game again giving it two uninterrupted nights of play and half way thru the second night all I kept thinking about was how much I would rather be playing mhw. I only started playing mhw exactly 2 months ago and have 270 hours played now at HR80. Its also my first monster hunter title. 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This has to be one of the worst, most empty, plastic, lifeless games I've ever played.

Joined - July 2004

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have watched MHW and never seen anything other than players standing in open fields battling one mob.I am not saying one mob fights is bad,not in the least,i prefer it as being more sensical but not if every fight is an over sized model and called a BOSS.

Maybe it is a better game than what i have seen,i just have not seen any indication.As to Dauntless,again all i can go on is what i see and i don't like it.

IDk what others are looking from a game and it's world,i have certain criteria to be able to ENJOY the world.I am not playing games to BEAT the game,or BEAT the boss,i want a world to enjoy,hence why i love Atlas,i build stuff,i explore,i fight very intense battles and MUST keep a keen eye or i am dead.
    Then the added ideas of crafting and ships on water,mermaids,sharks,i highly doubt MHW has all this hidden out of my sight,leading me to rate it too low.Dauntless is in the same boat,looks bad to me,if i see something then i take a closer look but nothing so far looks worth investigating.

I would say EVERY single game i have ever loved,it caught my attention immediately,none of this,check out level 50 or wait a few days,can't judge a game in the first couple hours....oh YES i can,since all the good games attract m y attention right away.
    Asch126

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Wizardry said:
    I have watched MHW and never seen anything other than players standing in open fields battling one mob.I am not saying one mob fights is bad,not in the least,i prefer it as being more sensical but not if every fight is an over sized model and called a BOSS.
    Right here you proved you have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

I tried it again just because I thought maybe I was being too harsh saying there's no point in playing this if you have monster hunter. I still feel like the game is just monster hunter lite. Everything seems too easy and floaty feeling at least in the early stages (I've only put around 8 hours into it). Maybe it gets more difficult, and I do like the idea that they have added content while monster hunter has largely remained stagnant until the expansion comes out.

It got me to buy MHW. So it was good for that.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms