Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Themepark MMORPG are the easiest to replicate...

2»

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    When even Cod requires a leveling system...

We are not closer than ever to a levelless RPG, further than ever.
    ____ 

Frankly something like EVE, without the "base skills" like +5% thrust type things.   Especially the always on, no thought given to it afterwards type skills would be awesome.

Essentially after you remove those skills you do end up with something like "every couple weeks or once month" you gain the ability to fly a new build or use a modified old one.   And it's pretty horizontal-ish in the sense you're one ship on the field filling one role,  and any other levels after that just aren't used (missile skills don't apply to blaster skills).

Could be a pretty fun/ideal leveling system. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:
    My point is that since I have been on this forums people have always pushed alternative genre on people when they talk about non mainstream ideas.  There is a post about levelless MMORPG.  People suggested battle royale.  

Hello Everyone.. That was Me.

yes.. he's crying about something I said to him, I suggested a Battle Royal game to them, because he was looking for a Multiplayer game that had Zero Grind, Zero Leveling, and was all about Player Skill.

That is a Battle Royal game, in the purest form.

The main reason why I suggested that kind of game, is because THEY had expressed the features THEY were looking for and those games provide them exactly.
    Lol, if you think you are the first person?  It used to be more in the lines of play Quake.  Nothing is new. I just tire of it. 

BR is not a MMO.  It is a twitched based FPS with a twist of minecraft.  Nothing to do with a MMORPG without grind.  There is no game world.  Just FPS that I can't play well anymore.  

Funny when I recommend a looter shooter screams and moans from the heavens that its not a MMO come down.  They have all the trappings of MMORPG. Game world, grouping, loot, leveling, raids are all there.  Those who defend mainstream ideas act like there are men in black suits listening ready to take their progression away because of forum post.

The idea of levelless MMORPG is basically here.  Developers just hold on to enough to not spook people who would be traumatized by lack of vertical progression.  

I might not be the first, but the timing was highly suspect.

Anyway.

Now, with that said. If many other people have told you, what you are looking for it, is in another kind game, already set up exactly as you claim you want, maybe.. just maybe.. you might want to read the writing on the wall, and look to another kind of game for what you are looking for.

Let me use an analogy, What you are doing looks like this: 

You: I would like to sit down at a table and eat, but I don't want to cook, I just want to enjoy eating all kinds of foods.

Others: What you are looking for is a Buffet Restaurant.

You: No, I don't want to go to a Buffet Restaurant, I want to be able to eat any kinds of foods without cooking, How hard is this to Understand! 

Others: Again that's a Buffet.

You: No.. I don't want a Buffet. Why does everyone tell me to go to a Buffet!

I also suggest other kinds of MMO, like Second Life as well, that also seem to fit your requirements, but more focus on Role Play, Social, and Creating.

Now if you have played those games, and none of them are what you want, maybe it's time to revisit if what you say you want, is really what you want, and not some misdirection for what you really want.
    Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2019
    anemo said:
    When even Cod requires a leveling system...

We are not closer than ever to a levelless RPG, further than ever.
    ____ 

Frankly something like EVE, without the "base skills" like +5% thrust type things.   Especially the always on, no thought given to it afterwards type skills would be awesome.

Essentially after you remove those skills you do end up with something like "every couple weeks or once month" you gain the ability to fly a new build or use a modified old one.   And it's pretty horizontal-ish in the sense you're one ship on the field filling one role,  and any other levels after that just aren't used (missile skills don't apply to blaster skills).

Could be a pretty fun/ideal leveling system. 
    Isn't that how Star Citizen is supposed to be designed?  As long as you can buy a ship, you can fly a ship, no special skills required, be it a starter hull or a dreadnaught.

I think there's still some sort of progression around fitting certain module upgrades, like military versions,  but pretty much they've said actual player ship / weapon handling skills is what will matter.

Perhaps I can summon @MaxBacon to verify.   ;)
    Octagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Genre is basically dead lol.
    ....dead while making more money than ever?

Yeah....just more self-delusion on your end.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I am certain, moneywise and timewise, theme park mmorpgs are the absolute hardest to make and the hardest to make well.  
    GdemamiUngoodanemo
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Gdemami said:
    Genre is basically dead lol.
    ....dead while making more money than ever?

Yeah....just more self-delusion on your end.
    MMORPG are or anything with another plating being called an MMO?  There is a difference.  
    Gdemami
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    My point is that since I have been on this forums people have always pushed alternative genre on people when they talk about non mainstream ideas.  There is a post about levelless MMORPG.  People suggested battle royale.  

Hello Everyone.. That was Me.

yes.. he's crying about something I said to him, I suggested a Battle Royal game to them, because he was looking for a Multiplayer game that had Zero Grind, Zero Leveling, and was all about Player Skill.

That is a Battle Royal game, in the purest form.

The main reason why I suggested that kind of game, is because THEY had expressed the features THEY were looking for and those games provide them exactly.
    Lol, if you think you are the first person?  It used to be more in the lines of play Quake.  Nothing is new. I just tire of it. 

BR is not a MMO.  It is a twitched based FPS with a twist of minecraft.  Nothing to do with a MMORPG without grind.  There is no game world.  Just FPS that I can't play well anymore.  

Funny when I recommend a looter shooter screams and moans from the heavens that its not a MMO come down.  They have all the trappings of MMORPG. Game world, grouping, loot, leveling, raids are all there.  Those who defend mainstream ideas act like there are men in black suits listening ready to take their progression away because of forum post.

The idea of levelless MMORPG is basically here.  Developers just hold on to enough to not spook people who would be traumatized by lack of vertical progression.  

I might not be the first, but the timing was highly suspect.

Anyway.

Now, with that said. If many other people have told you, what you are looking for it, is in another kind game, already set up exactly as you claim you want, maybe.. just maybe.. you might want to read the writing on the wall, and look to another kind of game for what you are looking for.

Let me use an analogy, What you are doing looks like this: 

You: I would like to sit down at a table and eat, but I don't want to cook, I just want to enjoy eating all kinds of foods.

Others: What you are looking for is a Buffet Restaurant.

You: No, I don't want to go to a Buffet Restaurant, I want to be able to eat any kinds of foods without cooking, How hard is this to Understand! 

Others: Again that's a Buffet.

You: No.. I don't want a Buffet. Why does everyone tell me to go to a Buffet!

I also suggest other kinds of MMO, like Second Life as well, that also seem to fit your requirements, but more focus on Role Play, Social, and Creating.

Now if you have played those games, and none of them are what you want, maybe it's time to revisit if what you say you want, is really what you want, and not some misdirection for what you really want.
    You were just the last person.   The play BR is newest thing.  It was play MOBA before that.  It will be whatever the next gimmick that comes out after.  

I am into sandboxes MMORPG.  I am arguing the concept of a levelless MMORPG exist, is not far from reality and far from a BR or Second Life.  If you don't understand that I am not sure what the point is adding nothing but basically an insult to a discussion is.  

If I came to every post with an idea about themepark MMORPG and said you really want to play Anthem I'd probably get banned.  
    Gdemami
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Dauzqul said:
    Comparing any game that has less than 100 people per server to any MMO is just silly. Sandbox or not, the population must be in the thousands, on the same server, to be considered a MMO.   MAssive Multiplayer!
    What would a MMO-BR look like though? My imagination been up to some things in that regard. 
    Gdemami

Philosophy of MMO Game Design