Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Video Gamers (or Mmorpg gamers) Invent Whinging About Game Design?

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    I'm about to look up "whinging" on Urban Dictionary.  Should I be afraid?
    Just whing it mate. 
    AlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,315
    How is whinge even pronounced? I once heard it in Dragon's Dogma, but nowhere else lol.

With that said, I always have and always will "whine" about balance, underpowered skills / characters / units and their overpowered / nigh mandatory counterparts. Even when I played Diablo or Starcraft or Civ. I remember I loved to play as France in Civ3 because...Industrious + Commercial, perfectly efficient. Half the build time for workers, yo! AND I can just flatout purchase shit due to Commercial. The same for Guild Wars. I always liked playing thematic builds like Weapon Rit or Ashes Rit, but it simply wasn't that effective due to some skills being, well, quite meh. And that bothered me.

It's not an MMO thing, to be sure.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I'm about to look up "whinging" on Urban Dictionary.  Should I be afraid?
    Always  ;)
    AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,166
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fem_aVbgI

Whinging explanation at .42
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,202
    edited May 29
    Amathe said:
    That’s how you own it!
    Amathe

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,235
    btdt said:
    The whining began the moment the players thought they had the developer' ear.

Back in the day, you never heard a peep about a game until it was released.  Only paid game testers ever saw the light of day in an alpha or beta. 

So in reality, the whining is the result of the developers having an open discussion with the players... that and their greed over not paying people to test their games anymore and having players do it for free.

The crap is what it is because of them quite frankly.  No one needed to know shit about a game before it was released.  No one.  Now we know too much.  Now we think we are the developers.

We got exactly what we asked for... early access to crappy design that quite frankly we designed.
    SWG was the first game to have a dedicated forum officially associated with it. And the whiners took to it in droves to kill SWG.

I have been on both sides of this coin. I used to think writing up pages of complaints and what I felt were good solutions (I used to test a lot of games) and presenting that was the way to go. Then I began to realize, he who cries loudest and longest gets his way. Now I look at things a lot like @Scorchien I have to do X to get Y? M'ok, whatever...

I tend to agree, on this we are our own worst enemies once again, we keep buying into these three-ring shit shows and they keep making them.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.