Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless Review - A Crossplay Gem - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDauntless Review - A Crossplay Gem - MMORPG.com

Dauntless has finally released May 21, 2019, and we got a chance to get our hands on it. After being in open beta since May 2018. Dauntless now joins the very few games that can cross-play across many consoles most notably PS4 and Xbox. With over 5 million players, it is fine to call Dauntless a success. With that said, let us talk about our time slaying these behemoths. This is our Dauntless review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I tried it again just because I thought maybe I was being too harsh saying there's no point in playing this if you have monster hunter. I still feel like the game is just monster hunter lite. Everything seems too easy and floaty feeling at least in the early stages (I've only put around 8 hours into it). Maybe it gets more difficult, and I do like the idea that they have added content while monster hunter has largely remained stagnant until the expansion comes out.
    [Deleted User]retiredmjwonkerzgunklackerunfilteredJW
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited May 2019
    Dauntless will be dead by october, gets too old too fast. Played it for 2 days straight and already kind of hit a brick wall, anthem 2.0.
    JeffSpicoliMythlasakinolgastovski1Phry5TrooperwonkerzOzmodan

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I want this to succeed, and if they follow a similar content flow to Warframe, it could.

However, I also question its longevity. The Monster Hunter progression system works because Monster Hunter has so much content and Monster variety. Dauntless... doesn't, and it uses weekly rotations and very rare exotic gear drops with grindy upgrades as a crutch for this. But that can only go so far without substantial new content. It doesn't have the RNG weapon stats that give Diablo 3 and Path of Exile legs, and adding these would seriously compromise the skill-based gameplay loop of the game.
    Octagon7711sakinolretiredmjwonkerzunfilteredJW
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    On that scale every MH title should score a 15... Dauntless is fun but it offers about 20% of what the average MH title has to offer. Without the depth or delicate balance between crafting, hunting and slaying. Dauntless really isn’t bad (I installed it again) but it doesn’t hold a candle to that other game.

Better games would also be practically every other game in the genre: all God Eater games, Soul Sacrifice, both Toukiden games and Freedom Wars. I would rate Dauntless a 7 max at this point in its GAaS life cycle.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]retiredmjPhrywonkerzOzmodan
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• defeatorigindefeatorigin Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Is this article sponsored?
    WalkinGlennMouloxtos85Phixion13JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]gastovski1retiredmjwonkerzcranthug
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I enjoyed jumping back into this game especially with the crossplay but it seems right now that the PC queuing is broke so I ended up giving up on it a few days ago, may come back later on my PS4 to see if its any better..
    Ozmodan
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Played a few hours last night. It is fun. Perhaps not "9" fun, but entertaining.

Imagine Torchlight 2, during a mid-life crisis induced moment of weakness, making a baby with Monster Hunter. But Monster Hunter wasn't ready for all of this and couldnt be tied down with her new fame. Torchlight 2 decided he was lying to himself all along and went on to get a sex change (looking at you torchlight 3).
    Thusly they chose, after much soul searching, to leave the baby on the steps of a monestary to be raised by a group of gente monks.

Hard to judge a f2p on release for quantity of content, as it is something that usually builds over time. I can think of a few successful games that didnt start with much at all and grew to something awesome.
    JeffSpicoliwonkerz
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    Good game but 9/10 ?

FlyByKnightsakinolPhrywonkerz
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I'm happy to have a casual cross platform game to play with the friends I've made in fortnite....but....a 9 out of 10? No end game, extremely repetitive, no depth and the mechanics are way too simple for this to survive long...

by giving this game a 9 you have softened the impact of all of your future reviews....even if you give something a 10 now it means almost nothing because you gave this game such a high score....I mean Divinity Original Sin 2 is a 9-9.5 out of 10.....and you put this game on the same level with that....and you don't see a problem? Yikes....
    JeffSpicolisakinolWalkinGlennretiredmjwonkerzcranthug
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited May 2019

Good game but 9/10 ?

If this is a 9... then the superior game it poorly and blatantly copied is what? That's all I can say.
    JeffSpicoliScotretiredmjPhrywonkerzOzmodancranthug
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited May 2019
    I'm happy to have a casual cross platform game to play with the friends I've made in fortnite....but....a 9 out of 10? No end game, extremely repetitive, no depth and the mechanics are way too simple for this to survive long...

by giving this game a 9 you have softened the impact of all of your future reviews....even if you give something a 10 now it means almost nothing because you gave this game such a high score....I mean Divinity Original Sin 2 is a 9-9.5 out of 10.....and you put this game on the same level with that....and you don't see a problem? Yikes....
    No. Every time this gets done and featured under the MMORPG.com banner and people have reaction to it the response is.
    • It wasn't us
    • Number scores don't matter
    • Obtuseness about credibility
    • blippity blooh blah
    I'm just waiting for the official chime-in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dauntless got +2 points just for being an Epic Store exclusive. Whatevs, still hilarious.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I kinda like it, (when there isnt a que) just que for a few monster fights. 

• justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Sorry but I have to question the legitimacy of these reviews. 9 out of 10? Maybe a 7. But not surprising since Dauntless has an MMORPG.com player signal flare in game..which means free website advertising. Then suddenly a few days later it gets a 9 out of 10? Hmm. $$$$
    WalkinGlennretiredmjwonkerzOzmodan
    Sorry but I have to question the legitimacy of these reviews. 9 out of 10? Maybe a 7. But not surprising since Dauntless has an MMORPG.com player signal flare in game..which means free website advertising. Then suddenly a few days later it gets a 9 out of 10? Hmm. $$$$
    That isn't a few days later. That flare was available on this site months ago during the start of open beta.
    Phry
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    So the game has such an enormous playerbase that the servers are overloaded, but it still has long group-finder wait times? The larger the playerbase, the easier it should be to find good matches, and that should lead to very short wait times.
    PhrywonkerzOzmodan
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Is this article sponsored?

Reviews on this site are never sponsored. That the reviewer liked the game more than you did especially doesn't mean that it's sponsored.
    retiredmjPhryConstantineMerusTacticalZombehMrMelGibsonwonkerz[Deleted User]Palebane
    Quizzical said:
    So the game has such an enormous playerbase that the servers are overloaded, but it still has long group-finder wait times? The larger the playerbase, the easier it should be to find good matches, and that should lead to very short wait times.
    Sounds like the long queues aren't a playerbase problem, but rather a server issue ironically caused by player overload.
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I dunno, i think 9/10 is a resonable score if this game is to be played casually. I dont think this game is ment to be played several hours a day, day after day. Its like fortnites BR, just pick up and play when you got alittle game time, no serious commitment. I tried it and feel like 9/10 is a good short term rating.

But like several have already stated, the longevity of it, then the score would folllow up with a 7/10 until they add more behemoths, events, weapons, armours. But a sa pick up and play, i agree.
    wonkerzOzmodan
  • MetroboMetrobo Member UncommonPosts: 31
    So, I get the not seeing a reason for the score. Not everyone views the game the same way. It's a solid game. Yes it can be repetitive, so can MH. Does that make MH a bad game? No, MH is also fun.

Does it have as much depth as MH? No, but does that make Dauntless bad? Also no. It is as one member said, "MH Lite".

It has solid mechanics, different ways to build your character out to suit your play style. Queues to find a group can be long sometimes. Sometimes it take 10 minutes other times can pop in 2 minutes.

As well as what was mentioned by another member, content usually happens over time for a F2P title. It just fully released. Give it sometime to see what content it might pump out, if any.

I also saw mention of it getting a +2 for being an Epic Store exclusive. Check the bottom of the article I played it on PS4. Epic Store has no impact here nor would it ever.

Anyway, I hope my article would want people to give it a try based on my experience with it. If it doesn't and you don't agree with my opinion, that is cool. We're entitled to our own feelings and opinions. Your thoughts are valid as much as mine is. That's why I always ask for your thoughts on it to see how other people and players feel about the game.

Despite how you may feel, I wish you a great time gaming in whatever game you play.
    TacticalZombeh
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited May 2019

I tried it again just because I thought maybe I was being too harsh saying there's no point in playing this if you have monster hunter. I still feel like the game is just monster hunter lite. Everything seems too easy and floaty feeling at least in the early stages (I've only put around 8 hours into it). Maybe it gets more difficult, and I do like the idea that they have added content while monster hunter has largely remained stagnant until the expansion comes out.

I think the big thing about Dauntless is that it is F2P with very little reason to spend money at all, short of maybe the battle pass. This makes it much more acceptable that it has less complexity. I have Monster Hunter, but I find it really difficult to go back to the game after a long break. I think this game, due to it not being as complicated, makes it easier to return to. This is personally a huge bonus for me. Sometimes you just don't want to re-learn a game to jump back into it.

I do think calling it Monster Hunter Lite is appropriate, but in the best way possible. This game is really good for someone who found MHW overwhelming and just wants something simpler to play. It is also a good entry game for people who are on the fence about MHW as it is a good introduction to this kind of game. The biggest appeal to me is that in order to get more content in Monster Hunter, after the expansion, you will have to wait for a new game other then small bits of content here or there. Dauntless is treated much more like an MMO, so unless it somehow shuts down, you can expect ongoing content for as long as the game finds some success. This means, in the long run, there will be far more content in Dauntless.

Both games are great, but Dauntless just does a better job as a game that can last you for years but with far less of a commitment. I think the biggest thing going against the game is on PC specifically it being an EGS exclusive. This doesn't impact me at all, since I don't really care about PC games being on different free launchers, but I know some people stubbornly won't play a game at all on EGS.
    TacticalZombehwonkerz
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The last few days the game keeps crashing on me during 75% of the hunts. Tried every solution but nothing works. I keep sending crash reports hoping they’ll be able to fix things.

I don’t think a lower score should be because of less content then MH. The last MH for instance had only roughly 1/3 of the monsters of the monsters in MHGU and wasn’t worse because of that (I still found MHGU the better game though). Dauntless should have a lower score because it doesn’t have that important balance between gathering/crafting/hunting, it also lacks anything resembling an eco system, its not a hunting game at all actually. Compared to Monster Hunter World this should be called Animal Fighter Arena. The combining cells system also takes a lot of time unless you pay cash.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Phrywonkerz
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    OH this game looks interesting,.... oh what? Epic exclusive?
    Nevermind....
    PhryJeffSpicoliwonkerzOzmodan
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Middle aged woman scores a boring game a 9 out of 10. lol
    wonkerzOzmodan
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    ElonMusk said:
    Middle aged woman scores a boring game a 9 out of 10. lol
    Middle-aged man dies of immaturity. The neighbors are relieved. 
    RelampagoTacticalZombehMrMelGibsonwonkerz
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I'm curious as to what, exactly, Dauntless copied. It doesn't share the art style of MH. It doesn't share the music. It doesn't share any monsters. None of its monsters fight the same. It doesn't share weapon or armor models. All of its weapons feel different (and not as good) to use as compared to their Monster Hunter counterparts. Some weapon types are entirely unique to Dauntless.

As best as I can tell, anyone claiming that Dauntless "copied" Monster Hunter thinks that Monster Hunter is the only game allowed to have parties of 1-4 players taking on large monster hunts in a satisfying boss kill & crafting loop. Because really, that's just about all they share - being in the same genre. It's like claiming that Halo ripped off Doom because they both use guns.
    TacticalZombehAsch126