Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aliens & Mechs are Part of the Wild West Online Rebrand 'New Frontier' - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAliens & Mechs are Part of the Wild West Online Rebrand 'New Frontier' - MMORPG.com

Wild West Online has kept its old timey roots but has added dinosaurs, alien technology and steampunk walking robots as part of its rebranded game "New Frontier". While many of the original components (survival open world sandbox game centered on building and crafting) remain, "magical storms" have torn open holes in the space - time continuum to bring "creatures from another dimension". The cover photo for the "new" game includes alien tech and a gigantic mech. We're flabbergasted too.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    edited May 2019
    :/
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Yikes. Is all I can muster up about this announcement.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Ah. The Saints Row approach. When you can't compete, go batshit crazy and hope for the best.
    WhiteLanternOctagon7711ceh430VrikaGrandpaDJSpottyGekkoLastlaughlolKyleranfoxgirlTacticalZombeh
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    So... THEY THINK... the reason why their game failed is because they didn't have dinosaurs and aliens.

FACEPALM
    Octagon7711foxgirlTacticalZombeh
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Sergey Titov, that's all you need to know about this game.

Complete and utter trash.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Kyleran

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    It actually makes the game sound cooler now.
    Because every western needs Will Smith in a giant spider-mech...
    SamhaelOctagon7711Kylerancatofmany

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Well, that's certainly a way to go.

Maybe they figured that they have to differentiate the game so made it a mix between Cowboys and Aliens and, um "something else?"
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Are these store bought assets? Is that the reason? It seems like an odd choice. 
  • coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Oh boy...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ok. To me this is trash. But I looked up the box office for the film Cowboys and Aliens. 100 million domestic (to date). 74 million foreign. So thematically anyway, there is a potential audience. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125

Amathe said:

Ok. To me this is trash. But I looked up the box office for the film Cowboys and Aliens. 100 million domestic (to date). 74 million foreign. So thematically anyway, there is a potential audience. 

...based on a $163 mil production budget. I think that's very, very bad!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Amathe said:
    I really liked the idea of Cowboys and Aliens but they just didn't have as much fun with it. Movie was good up to the point they went to search for the Aliens.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SURVIVE THE STORM
    Progression and skills are important elements of the Seasons. Each season you start with LEVEL 1 character and progress to unlock new skill and perks for your character.

Your character resets each season?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I guess the devs did watch that film
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This is why some people shouldn't be allowed to smoke weed.
    WhiteLanternSpottyGekkoLastlaughlolIselin
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    What the...
    Lastlaughlol
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Geez, the people who half-develop these dead games just don't know when to walk away, do they?
    Lastlaughlol
  • PARTIESPLAYINPARTIESPLAYIN Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited May 2019
    Altho survival games have left a bad taste in my mouth, it is good news to here that the game is turning a new leaf. It was promoted as an mmo, then became a battle Royal and now a survival building game. I haven't played it but I did watch some videos of it. See the thing about survival vs mmo is . In a survival game you can loose virtually all progression over night while your sleeping and traditionally in an mmo this doesn't happen progression is preserved. So this wouldn't be my cup of tea simply for the fact or potential of loosing all the time I invested in the game overnight. Only thing that would peak my interest is if somehow this game avoided the fundamental issues I have with survival games and loss of progression, all caused by other players wiping you out destroying your buildings and taking your resources and gear either why you sleep or buy a zerg group that you have no chance of defending against.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    So y'all never saw the movie Cowboy's vs aliens or don't believe in the ancient astronaut theory?  Let them try lol. 
  • milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 39
    so guys, last chance to keep our sht game alive, what do people like? ..dinosaurs ..aliens ..robots. Ok let's do that. Which one?
    And here we are :)
    LastlaughlolTacticalZombeh
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Sounds like there just using whatever assets they have and throwing them in game. They have plans for 6 months of updates. After that I doubt it will go anywhere.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    This is straight form there forum if anyone curious

We're new team working on a new game that uses assets and code we've purchased from WWO. We didn't worked on Wild West Online, and we do not plan on making wild west game. We do use assets that we bought from original developers and publisher, and working under Free Reign Entertainment to make monster survival game we believe in.

We understand that lots of old players will think that this is continuation of WWO development, but it's not. We'll try to be as transparent as possible about it from the start.

Game is very heavy rely on finding resources, crafting and building game mechanics. In June we will also open up several instanced events - similar to Strikes in Destiny or Missions in Division - something that wasn't available in Wild West Online.

We apologies in advance to any old players who will get disappointed in a game as it will not be wild west game they wanted. As we will getting closer to leaving Early Access, we will move game into it's own domain and will market it to wider public accordingly.

We develop game mostly our of two locations - Poland and Russia, so clearly yes English is not our native language :). We do not have any original WWO developers working with us.
    SovrathWhiteLanternLastlaughlolKyleransaker[Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Didn't Will Smith make a really shitty movie of this ?
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

voltt said:

This is straight form there forum if anyone curious

We're new team working on a new game that uses assets and code we've purchased from WWO. We didn't worked on Wild West Online, and we do not plan on making wild west game. We do use assets that we bought from original developers and publisher, and working under Free Reign Entertainment to make monster survival game we believe in.

We understand that lots of old players will think that this is continuation of WWO development, but it's not. We'll try to be as transparent as possible about it from the start.

Game is very heavy rely on finding resources, crafting and building game mechanics. In June we will also open up several instanced events - similar to Strikes in Destiny or Missions in Division - something that wasn't available in Wild West Online.

We apologies in advance to any old players who will get disappointed in a game as it will not be wild west game they wanted. As we will getting closer to leaving Early Access, we will move game into it's own domain and will market it to wider public accordingly.

We develop game mostly our of two locations - Poland and Russia, so clearly yes English is not our native language :). We do not have any original WWO developers working with us.

The article makes much more sense now, thanks.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Who saw this coming ?! :smile: