Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Feelsbadman", things that make you feel bad while gaming

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
I just recently started playing Fortnite, only because of the people that watch it. I actually joined people on discord and I never actually do that. 

So I was playing and chatting on discord and then some prepubescent kid comes on there and starts talking. I'm like damn, I feel bad about myself, playing in the same game as probably some 10-11 year old boy. 

Either way, what else makes you feel bad about yourself while gaming?
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
AlBQuirkyJeffSpicoli

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I just recently started playing Fortnite, only because of the people that watch it. I actually joined people on discord and I never actually do that. 

So I was playing and chatting on discord and then some prepubescent kid comes on there and starts talking. I'm like damn, I feel bad about myself, playing in the same game as probably some 10-11 year old boy. 

You shouldn't feel bad about playing the same game as a younger kid. I got into that mindset while playing Counter-Strike and kept encountering high school kids, but then I remembered I started playing CS when I was 9. 

Things that make me feel bad? When people have cool sounding hobbies and my main hobby is games. 
    AlBQuirkyCryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Thinking about the hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of wasted hours of my life I have pissed away on 30+ years of gaming. Hell even if I took all the quarters I shoved into arcade games in the 80's and invested them instead, I'd be a mega millionaire now.
    ScotAlBQuirkyAmathe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited May 2019
    The new gambling rules that may come out in the US could make the case that as every game probably has underage players in it, should those rules not apply to all gaming?

Anyway one time I felt bad, playing on the evil side in Warhammer, we wanted a change from the good guys so dived into chaos. But we ended up feeling no reason to being with them, it was just war and slaughter without anything to make us want to carry their flag. Final straw for me was the horses being tortured as that's what Dark Elves do to break them for riding, you don't see that just horses lying around whinnying in distress. Now I am hardly care bear, but I just thought why are we with these guys? Others were already wanting to switch to good so we decided it was time to join the Elves, humans and Dwarves as a guild.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited May 2019
    When I was a kid, several older guys mentored me in ways of music and cinema and life. I learned a lot from them and it was just wonderful. I try to do the same for the kids that I meet; in-game or otherwise. The cycle must continue. And it's my turn to give back. 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Amathe
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    "Evil."

Every time I try to play an "evil" character in a video game, it is just being a huge big dick to everyone else. Being a dick is not fun for me. I'd much rather be involved in some grand evil scheme to rule the world, not by fear and revulsion, but by manipulation. Why is manipulation never a thing for "evil" gameplay?
    Sovrath[Deleted User]ScotAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    For many years I felt bad that I screwed up Uni because of heavy gaming. Just a couple of years ago I all of a sudden had the realisation that the gaming wasn’t the actual reason I had screwed up, gaming was just the escape from the fact that I hated my chosen direction at University and that I wanted to do something else entirely.

It was only then that I could actually move forward in life, get a career and a new education that fitted me much better. From that point it has been onwards and upwards. The little lies we tell ourselves sometimes.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirkyCryomatrixSovrath[Deleted User]Amathe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Last week I rushed from work to play games for 4 hours both wednesday and thursday, I also spent 7 hours playing games on saturday. I skipped going out on friday due to my gaming plans on saturday. Due to my lengthy gaming session on saturday I was mentally exhausted which made my tinnitus to go nuts and made everything a lot worse. I spent lots of hours thinking of my gaming after I had done said gaming. Didn't exercise and also forgot mother's day on sunday.

Tell that story about your mmorpg raiding week and you will hear quite a lot of negative stuff about how gaming is bad for you. Playing bridge doesn't have the same stigma.
    CryomatrixAlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited May 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    "Evil."

Every time I try to play an "evil" character in a video game, it is just being a huge big dick to everyone else. Being a dick is not fun for me. I'd much rather be involved in some grand evil scheme to rule the world, not by fear and revulsion, but by manipulation. Why is manipulation never a thing for "evil" gameplay?
    Bioware does this a lot. 

The evil options always seem extreme and out of place.

Though Obsidian also did this in Neverwinter Nights 2. You start out with the town being attacked and suddenly you get options to slit someone's throat. Um "sure" that is an evil thing to do but what's the motivation?

edit: to answer the question I sort of feel bad when I buy a game and can't seem to get into it. I tell myself I need to give it more of a chance but have a hard time finding where that line is. How long should I give it? I've experienced movies and books and even games that definitely "opened up" so clearly some works require it.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyVermillion_RaventhalConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    It makes me feel bad that I won't see the Playstation 9 or 10 (I'm being generous there, with my lifestyle I'll be lucky to see the PS6). It makes me feel bad i won't see the VR evolution of MMO's and even if they do come in my lifetime I'll probably be too old and arthritic to play them. It makes me feel bad that EA will probably retain the NFL exclusivity license for the duration of my lifetime and keep chasing NFL2K5 A Game made over 14 years ago  . It makes me feel bad that politics & social justice nonsense have slithered there way into video games & its only getting worse......

I could go on and on but the truth is I have no current regrets when it comes to the hobby i love. The only thing that makes me feel bad is i won't get to see all the amazing tech and evolution of the hobby that my grand kids will. 

CryomatrixAlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Apex Legends. Some 10-yr old random was on my team. No big deal. However, he started to talk to use like he was some type of Commander Keen. He just wouldn't stop barking out orders. I was getting ready to say, "Man... Just shut the **** up." I had to hold back... reminding myself that this is just your typical kid...

I felt bad even thinking it.
    Cryomatrix
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It was the early 1980s, and I was in college. A guy had advertised some D&D materials in the paper that I was going to buy. He was coming to my dorm room to drop them off. I swear I could smell him when he got off the elevator, before he even walked down the hall.  When he did arrive he smelled so awful. And he was covered in bits of food. I hope that's what it was anyway. I didn't play D&D again for a very long time.
    [Deleted User]Cryomatrix

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Nothing
    Scot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Game design decisions,crappy UI like the rare occasion there is no key mapping or some keys don't remap anyhow.

P2w,cash shops,poorly run servers,basically free to cheat because nobody watching and nobody cares.
    I should remind people why i quit Vanguard,NOT because of bugs but because cheating was so rampant right out of the gate.This is what you can expect with Indie or low budget developers,they will not operate the game/servers properly.

I actually look at most everything when i game,even small things like seeing a LAZY approach to how npc's are jotted down in game,seeing npc's just standing there motionless or buildings with no doors and/or very few moving parts in game.
    Basically if it looks like a low budget developer,it will have me running for the delete button.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Some of the back and forth I had with racist CoD kids.  Making someone rage and attack me in town playing UO.  I could almost feel his tears.  Watch a group of people loot his body in seconds.  

Trying to save John Martson multiple times in Red Dead Redemption. After doing regular ranch life and only to be killed by agents with no way out.  
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I only feel "bad" when playing bad games.

I do get disappointed by general chat, or those voice-chat-required guilds, and how certain "tribes" behave when they feel comfortable and not accountable.

My worst experiences have come from PC gaming though. Console had a more immature/rage feel, PC gaming seemed more honest, and telling.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:

My 8 year old and his entire 2nd grade class play Fortnite. 

LOl as does my 7 year old son and hes an NBK at it ... kicks my ass
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

My 8 year old and his entire 2nd grade class play Fortnite. 

LOl as does my 7 year old son and hes an NBK at it ... kicks my ass
    Is it bad, that I actually am trying to win and and get competitively angry when kids that age pwn me at Fortnite?  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Occasionally I play a game called The Hunter...in it you hunt animals...For some reason, I feel bad whenever I shoot one of them...it's fun to track them down, but for some reason I feel bad about killing them.
    Amathe
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I don't care about losing, it's just that, i'm a grown man with a professional job, doing the same thing as a prepubescent boy and we have similar goals. Perhaps, it's just that video games are more of a bad addiction for me and i'm a workaholic who tries to be very productive. 

Oh well. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well.. When I discovered that BDO had ass physics.. I had to step back and ask myself how long and much I had been staring at my avatars ass.. it didn't help any that the avatar was male.
    CryomatrixAmathe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.