Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr is Meow-velous So Far - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    I keep trying to like ESO... but I can't. So repetitive. So Meh. Art style and game mechanics are awful and game engine is worse than SWTOR's Hero Engine. But that's just my opinion...
    Viper482
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Arterius said:
    I keep trying to like ESO... but I can't. So repetitive. So Meh. Art style and game mechanics are awful and game engine is worse than SWTOR's Hero Engine. But that's just my opinion...
    The engine is pretty bad... Its the reason why there are no capes.
    I've hated the hero engine since the launch of SWTOR and it's funky bugs. I was disappointed when ZoS said ESO was gonna use it as well. I kinda secretly hope they pull a surprise and announce a new engine revamp, which of course would force them to rebuild the game, but hey if they used a better engine it could last for years to come.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm slowly checking the game out myself for like the 5th time. Would it help if they added a "PVP" stat to make the fighting last longer and be more entertaining? I know LOTRO's gone back and forward on that as well. WoW also...

I'll have to look up a good/fun leveling guide, so I can level up with each class and not get bored as fast going through the same areas every time.

I like the 'look' of the game, and not sure if I like the combat totally or not. I've tried it before and wasn't sold on it, and the skill cancelling thing doesn't seem like GCD stuff, but maybe I haven't gotten that far into it yet. Usually GCD's can't be bypassed or reset on skills right?

Gut oUt!

What, me worry?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Gutlard said:
    I'm slowly checking the game out myself for like the 5th time. Would it help if they added a "PVP" stat to make the fighting last longer and be more entertaining? I know LOTRO's gone back and forward on that as well. WoW also...

I'll have to look up a good/fun leveling guide, so I can level up with each class and not get bored as fast going through the same areas every time.

I like the 'look' of the game, and not sure if I like the combat totally or not. I've tried it before and wasn't sold on it, and the skill cancelling thing doesn't seem like GCD stuff, but maybe I haven't gotten that far into it yet. Usually GCD's can't be bypassed or reset on skills right?

Gut oUt!
    You shouldn't need to run characters through the same areas. In broad terms a character needs to (nearly) do everything to get to max CP points.  (If you do everything you will actually pass max. CP but stick with me.)

Since characters past 50 start to share CP points this means that if you create a new character and run them through one of the alliance story lines say + Dark Brotherhood; create another and do Morrowind + Thieves' Guild; maybe one that does a different alliance and Orsinium etc. you can get a character to max CP without repeating any of the content. (OK collecting shards etc. is different.) 

As far as animation cancelling and GCD goes what ESO has is a GCD of 0. As a result you don't have to wait for the effects to finish. In games which have a longer GCD you might not realise that you are using animation cancelling since only a % of casts will have animation lengths longer than the GCD. And it can be a big issue for people - big thread on WoW last year say about changes.

And it was a big issue in SWTOR when it launched etc. etc.  The reason why you don't see people running around casting endless spells of course is that its tied to power.
    edited May 2019
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO isn't worth buying.  I bought the game a month ago and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level.  

Why did you stick it out for so long if its so bad? I know cp400 isn't max level but still. I ditch bad games in way less than 1 hour.

Edit: and as you only got the game a month ago the devs may take a little longer to fix the bugs. Although this is Zenimax.
    NorseGod
    I think I saw Morrowind + base game on sale for $10 at one point, so if a person can play for a month off $10 and be entertained I'm not understanding how that's not worth the purchase, but I'm still in the Honeymoon phase right now.

Even if I only got two weeks of fun out of it, and hit a shitwall of boredom, I still think that would be worth $10.

Gut Out!
    gervaise1

What, me worry?

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I haven’t played ESO in years, as I’ve always considered it a near miss.

Do they have flying mounts yet? That might really shake things up.

Have they added any new weapons lines? No matter how many alts I roll, they all seem to play the same, no matter the class chosen.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Dont think Ill be going back to ESO... Maybe if they overhauled the combat... maybe...
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip>
    Just some food for thought. LotRO has animation cancelling. Not all skills can do it but it's built into the game on purpose. In that game GCD is 0 and there are 4 stages to an animation. Skills can execute results at a couple stages and some skills can override some animation stages stopping the current animation, starting a new sequence and both skills execute. Immediate skills are a group that always does this.
    Never thought of it but you are right.

I basically play games as designed - and if I don't like them I simply don't play them.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Elsweyr is cool, the Necromancer class - not so much.  It's as if the designer got lazy and just mashed the Warden class with the Sorc and said - that's good enough...oh wait, don't give them a permanent pet - make it only stick around for 16 seconds at most.  There...we're done, there is your Necro - just an Illuisionist.
    I'm not sure about other games' settings, but in LOTRO you can toggle the combat animations correct? Does that play into farting with GCD at all? From those that have it turned on to those that don't, is this a way to 'even the playing field?'

Regardless, I know you can click another skill to put it in a queue after the current skill completes, and that you can change that queue by clicking into another skill, but that still doesn't change the time of the GCD correct?

Sorry, I'm being dense...I'll look up video examples! I'm more of a visual person anyway.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Arterius said:
    Sovrath said:
    syltmacka said:
    i was wondering, is there a way to change starting area, i really dont like sommerset.???
    I believe so.

They start you in the new place (usually the latest expansion) but you can choose to travel to other starting areas.

Khenarthi's Roost

Stros M'Kai

Bleakrock Isle

These should be the starting areas.

see this
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Locations+Overview

Actually you want to head to a captial. Like Glenumbra. There you will get the quest for the base game which will then take you to one of the three above. 
    Usually you can see the gates on the three starter islands on your map and port directly to them, if you have the gold or port to guild mates.  Lately when starting a new character I'll go to a main city, do the coldharbour intro quest, then do the starting quests of all three factions.  

Some of the side stories are really well done.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Teala said:
    Elsweyr is cool, the Necromancer class - not so much.  It's as if the designer got lazy and just mashed the Warden class with the Sorc and said - that's good enough...oh wait, don't give them a permanent pet - make it only stick around for 16 seconds at most.  There...we're done, there is your Necro - just an Illuisionist.
    It's not a traditional Necro for sure but I've been told it does fit the lore of the other games.  Hard to tell as I mod the hell out of those games to create the exact type of characters I like.

They seemed to be going for a Warrior Necro with some spell abilities as stamina and tanking Necros rock.  Magic based Necros are do-able but not comparable. Doing the main story in Elsweyr a few of the quest rewards were two handed weapons and I may have gotten one good staff.
    gervaise1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,136
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr is Meow-velous So Far - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online's latest chapter, Elsweyr, launched on PC yesterday and to the surprise of no one - it's good stuff. It's no secret that ESO has been my go-to MMO for the past several years, and this Khajiit and Dragon infused expansion seems to be more icing and an already delightful cake.

Read the full story here

Seems like they should just get it over with and head into outerspace.  *snarky-smile*

I'd like to see Mehrunes Dagon's giant hand come through a portal, take all of NIRN, and throw it into space, that would be thinking outside the box for Zenimax.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
    I seem to be into this under water things lately.  First with GW2, wanting them to have more of it, now with ESO.  They have an amphibian race with no under water content for them.  They don't seem to want to touch under water stuff at all so I doubt if that will ever happen.