Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alliances matter anymore?

xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
Hey all. I think I'll start playing this game again and will be starting over with my partner who isn't into PvP much. I haven't played since launch. I know that one Tamriel essentially streamlined the PvE experience between the different factions; however, while she won't play PvP much, I do want to get into it. What faction is the best for new player experience (her), but also pretty good for PvP (me) right now? I have the imperial edition of the game so race faction lock won't matter much on my end, but she likely will not.

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    xpiher said:
    Hey all. I think I'll start playing this game again and will be starting over with my partner who isn't into PvP much. I haven't played since launch. I know that one Tamriel essentially streamlined the PvE experience between the different factions; however, while she won't play PvP much, I do want to get into it. What faction is the best for new player experience (her), but also pretty good for PvP (me) right now? I have the imperial edition of the game so race faction lock won't matter much on my end, but she likely will not.
    They only matter in PvP and only on cyrodiil, just pick whatever you like, is indifferent. You have a low level PvP campaign, where you can learn pretty much everything. 
    xpiher
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Not at all , only what color symbol is over your head in Cyrodill , other than that completly removed and  ruined any faction/lore in the game
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Some what a shame, but understandable for an MMO. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    xpiher said:

Some what a shame, but understandable for an MMO. 
    Historically there was always a lot of whining by ES fans that hated adding DAoC RvR into the ES universe.

They went ahead anyway with the Alliance separation at launch but they soon found out that those of us who enjoyed that part of it were a small minority as evidenced by all the AvA campaigns they had at release that were eventually shut down and consolidated.

They have been backing away from that original design all along even though the original PvE zones all still have mini PvE invasions from the other alliances that complement the Cyrodiil narrative.

Cyrodiil PvP itself is still fun and plays pretty well but the PvE world doesn't support it or feed into it any longer.

Personally I chose the Aldmeri Dominion at launch and every single character I've ever created in ESO over the years has been AD. But that's just me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I think one of the most purchased items in the cash shop is the ability to pick any alliance with any race. From a PvE perspective, picking an alliance only used to matter as far as your starting area was concerned. At this point, not even that is true.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Xasapis said:
    I think one of the most purchased items in the cash shop is the ability to pick any alliance with any race. From a PvE perspective, picking an alliance only used to matter as far as your starting area was concerned. At this point, not even that is true.
    It still matters as to which one of the 3 Harborages you need to go to for the main quest line as well as few world locations those quests send you to.

The Fighters and Mage's guild quests also send you to locations in your original alliance zones.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

The lore is not off from the ES franchise either though. Meh oh well

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    xpiher said:
    At launch each of the 3 factions provided a "satisfactory" PvE experience; each bound together by the over-arching main story. They still provide that same experience. Just because the One Tamriel update allows you to freely between alliances doesn't mean you have to. And there are some good reasons why its worthwhile to follow through at least one of the alliance storylines. 

As far as the PvP side goes:

First there are different types of PvP with two (?) maybe being of interest.

1. Cyrodill

This is the campaign stuff. Its a big area - so big that whilst you might run into an enemy band you are not likely to get ganked. Which means that your partner might become comfortable with doing some of the PvE quests. For this part your choice of alliance has never mattered. Note: you will - are likely anyway - to get some extra skills for doing stuff and these can be used in PvE.

As far as taking part in sieges etc. your alliance dictates who you fight with / against.  You can just go along and tag onto a group. In time however you might find a guild. Indeed you might find a PvE guild that has a PvP compliment and that may well influence your choice of alliance.

No alliance though has an inbuilt advantage and the nature of the campaign structure e.g. their timed nature and the way population caps work in particular - means you don't find one side having an endless advantage.

And I suppose you can be forgiven if you side with the Aldmeri  Dominion scum .......

2. Imperial City

Mixed PvE and PvP - so it may appeal. Twisty tunnels; city blocks. Some powerful PvE mobs and quests. Duos can do fine - well some of the PvE boss mobs are pretty tough. With the danger of PvP.

Worth noting that there is no death penalty. If your partner can come to accept other PvP players as just mobs ... who knows.
    edited May 2019

gervaise1 said:
    xpiher said:
    At launch each of the 3 factions provided a "satisfactory" PvE experience; each bound together by the over-arching main story. They still provide that same experience. Just because the One Tamriel update allows you to freely between alliances doesn't mean you have to. And there are some good reasons why its worthwhile to follow through at least one of the alliance storylines. 

As far as the PvP side goes:

First there are different types of PvP with two (?) maybe being of interest.

1. Cyrodill

This is the campaign stuff. Its a big area - so big that whilst you might run into an enemy band you are not likely to get ganked. Which means that your partner might become comfortable with doing some of the PvE quests. For this part your choice of alliance has never mattered. Note: you will - are likely anyway - to get some extra skills for doing stuff and these can be used in PvE.

As far as taking part in sieges etc. your alliance dictates who you fight with / against.  You can just go along and tag onto a group. In time however you might find a guild. Indeed you might find a PvE guild that has a PvP compliment and that may well influence your choice of alliance.

No alliance though has an inbuilt advantage and the nature of the campaign structure e.g. their timed nature and the way population caps work in particular - means you don't find one side having an endless advantage.

And I suppose you can be forgiven if you side with the Aldmeri  Dominion scum .......

2. Imperial City

Mixed PvE and PvP - so it may appeal. Twisty tunnels; city blocks. Some powerful PvE mobs and quests. Duos can do fine - well some of the PvE boss mobs are pretty tough. With the danger of PvP.

Worth noting that there is no death penalty. If your partner can come to accept other PvP players as just mobs ... who knows.
    Thanks. I was curious is the alliances were fairly evenly matched and if there was one alliance that was a bit more casual than the others. Seeing these responses leaves me to believe that my concerns weren't all that justified and that's great!

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO alliance is WAY important... don't listen to these peepz!   if you aren't EP, you smell.

Sz  :)