Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with no leveling

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
Could this work? Like if a player was placed in the world at max level and gear was all cosmetic. Personally tired of leveling in MMOs and would rather have a game with MMO like combat where I can log in and PvP without being stuck behind XP, and or, gear walls walls every time I wanna try something new. Leveling really doesn't do much for me. I don't like my character anymore just because I leveled them.

I think it would be cool to have an open world MMO with no leveling. Just log in and do what you want without worrying about power levels.
KyleranGyva02bcbully

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited May 2019
    But , but i love leveling ... i just hate contents being gated by level
    SovrathAmarantharAlBQuirkyWaanfoxgirlTallyn
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited May 2019
    It would take a VERY immersive world to pull this off, e.g., deep player economy (hardcore crafting, social trades, player cities, player shopping malls), complex and entertaining combat, and an endless supply of aesthetics (armor, clothing, weapons, cloaks, mounts).

Jedi Academy-style combat, Second Life-style social players, and a gigantic world.

I'm in!
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    i am not in, when play mmos i want to slay dragons, i want to go where no man has gone before, i want to be a fricken SUPERHERO....
    Alverantbcbully
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I am all for it. Except gear be situational and gaining abilities though lore based quest that teaches you how to use them..

I like needing say a fire cloak to go to hot environment or lighter than air ring to go to the cloud realm.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Isn't this every MMO?  I only play mmorpgs with a chardev system that interests me, but the whole point of dropping the rpg from mmorpg was specifically for all the millions of games out now that do exactly what you say you want - MOBAs, Battle Royals, crafting games, etc.

Wouldn't ESO fit this too since everything scales?  
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited May 2019
    I want skill gain, learning new skills, plain/good/better gear, all that stuff.
    I just don't want the power gaps that separates the world and the players into fragments.

20% vertical, 80% horizontal.

I do indeed want that very deep world you speak of.
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Some of the themepark game leveling phase is so short I don't think it matters.  But they do have gear level...  I think GW2 is something close.  Easy to level to max level but no item level on gear.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    whats the point?

with no reward for one's success or loss for one's failures all you have is a graphical chat program with emotes. . .
    AlBQuirkyJeffSpicolibcbully
    BTW , i think this kind of design could work if monster drop digital money that worth real cash .

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    jusomdude said:
    Could this work? Like if a player was placed in the world at max level and gear was all cosmetic. Personally tired of leveling in MMOs and would rather have a game with MMO like combat where I can log in and PvP without being stuck behind XP, and or, gear walls walls every time I wanna try something new. Leveling really doesn't do much for me. I don't like my character anymore just because I leveled them.

I think it would be cool to have an open world MMO with no leveling. Just log in and do what you want without worrying about power levels.
    ...you don't want what you think you want.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I enjoy improving my character in a game, watching them grow. It's why I play games. Improving their skills and abilities as they learn is the number one activity I look for in a game. That's just me, though.

Generally speaking, I think this idea would skyrocket because that is basically what the playerbase wants right now... "Right Now!" So many rush to endgame now, bypassing the journey, that I think this concept has a great appeal.
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    ye, its called real life, take a walk outside for a bit
    JeffSpicoli

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There have been several examples already of MMO's without 'levelling' but its a feature normally attributed to sandbox games,  probably the two most well known, if you can call it that, examples are Eve Online and SWG pre-CU.  :/
    Gdemami
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I enjoy leveling my characters up. I also like building out their skills and stats, and obtaining/choosing their gear. It's a big part of why I play.

I certainly don't just want to play Barbie and Ken dress up with cosmetic gear. 
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Sounds like an average call to tech support.
    Gdemami
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Worlds Adrift has a variant.

Where your character doesn't advance in things like stats, but instead advances in what they can craft.  It's nice being able to have a few hour newbie added to a crew with 100 hour vets.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    Aparition said:
    ye, its called real life, take a walk outside for a bit
    But even RL has leveling. My wife issued a early morning EPIC QUEST Yesterday of grilling for 8 people & my cooking skill was  leveled by +2 evident by the perfectly charred outside crust of the steaks while the inside was pink and juicy... Sadly this quest didn't reward any gold or beer just cooking XP & a sweaty forehead....
    UngoodAlBQuirkyRueTheWhirlAmaranthar[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I love the leveling aspect in MMO's, its my favorite part tbh.
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    makes no sence with no reward system. a bunch of donkeys without carrots, nope.
    iixviiiixfoxgirlgunklackerKyleran
    syltmacka said:
    That's , you need a kind of reward that make people want to play it .
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AlBQuirky said:
    I enjoy improving my character in a game, watching them grow. It's why I play games. Improving their skills and abilities as they learn is the number one activity I look for in a game. That's just me, though.

Generally speaking, I think this idea would skyrocket because that is basically what the playerbase wants right now... "Right Now!" So many rush to endgame now, bypassing the journey, that I think this concept has a great appeal.
    It's not about "right now."  I prefer limited progression because it becomes the whole game. The whole world and content is consumed to fuel the fire of leveling. For those who don't care about numbers it sucks. 

If I am level 30 fighting level 30 or level 50 fighting level 50 it all feels the same. The only progession that seems to matter is when you stop leveling and start stacking gear on end game. The practical differences in a levelless game is you can't one shot lowbie mobs. 

My other reasons I don't want the vast vertical progession.  I don't want to run the treadmill yet again.  I like content being available and forge my own path.  I like lore making sense (world threat level creatures die in 1 hit but generic higher level wolf from new expansion can one shot me).  I like being able to play with who I want without level segregation.

For economic reasons developers it makes sense to not chew through your content on. Especially when a lot becomes unused. 
    GdemamijusomdudeAlBQuirkyMMOExposed
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I like leveling..It gives me a sense of accomplishment and a reason to go forward. Take away the leveling and I really don't have a reason to play.
    JeffSpicoliMendelKyleranAmathe[Deleted User]bcbully
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited May 2019

I like lore making sense (world threat level creatures die in 1 hit but generic higher level wolf from new expansion can one shot me).  I like being able to play with who I want without level segregation.
    That's not really lore, just logic.

A wolf should only be "so strong."

Lord of the Rings online has this issue. Here is a bird that's dangerous. x amount of levels later, here is a bird that's even MORE dangerous. What? You are now 10 levels higher? Then here's ANOTHER bird!

MendelAlBQuirkyAmaranthar
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    syltmacka said:
    Pavlov would be pleased by your progress.
    UngoodVermillion_RaventhalAmarantharbcbully
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    At some point, an MMORPG with no leveling simply becomes an RTS game.  RPG and leveling have long been companions, as leveling is one of the cornerstones of progression.  Progression is one element that helps people to connect with their characters.  Really, who identifies with 'third axeman from the left'?  I know I'd rather play 'Krodor Trollbane, Axeman of the Guards who is deathly afraid of spiders'.

AlBQuirkyGdemamiAmaranthar

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.