Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD announces Ryzen 3000 series: up to 12 cores, up to 4.6 GHz, up to 64 MB L3 cache, available 7/7

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
The full lineup is here:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14407/amd-ryzen-3000-announced-five-cpus-12-cores-for-499-up-to-46-ghz-pcie-40-coming-77

AMD claims that their 8-core CPU with turbo up to 4.5 GHz beats Intel's 8-core Core i9-9900K outright at Cinebench, both in single-threaded and multi-threaded versions.  That would point to AMD having a considerable IPC lead in Cinebench.  Cinebench has been a very favorable benchmark to AMD ever since the launch of Ryzen, but this result still could point to third generation Ryzen roughly having IPC parity with Intel's Sky Lake and its many refreshes.

The dies that AMD is using have 8 CPU cores on them.  The 12-core CPU has two CPU dies, presumably with six cores each enabled.  This might well take some special binning, such as selectively disabling the two cores that couldn't clock that well or burned too much power, even though the cores actually worked.  It also leaves open the possibility of AMD launching a 16-core CPU on the same platform in the future; my guess is that AMD didn't do so just yet because it wouldn't be able to clock as high.

As always, there's a considerable need for independent benchmarks to add more context.  There are two ways at least two ways that the announced chips are outliers that could skew benchmark results.  First, it takes two hops for the CPU to get to memory.  One of those is inside the socket, going from a die with CPU cores to an I/O die.  But more hops always adds latency, and high memory latency could be a serious problem for some purposes.

Second, that's 32 MB of L3 cache per CPU die, which is how you get to 64 MB of L3 cache for the two-die 12-core version.  For comparison, as best as I can tell, there has never been an x86 CPU with 40 MB of L3 cache (or L2 cache) on a die.  Intel's 28-core Xeon Platnium and 72-core Xeon Phi both come a little shy of that.  So this is an enormous amount of cache on a tiny die.  To a considerable degree, it's surely AMD's effort at making a ton of CPU cores useful even with only two channels of DDR4.  But all of that L3 cache will surely benefit some benchmarks much more than others.

This does, however, mean that the rumors about 5 GHz turbo boost were simply wrong.  Still, this is pretty good clock speeds for early parts on a new process node.  It sounds as if when Intel moves to 10 nm, clock speeds are going to go way down, at least initially.
RidelynnmmolouGdemami[Deleted User]

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited May 2019
    16/32 would have been really exciting, but I'm not disappointed in 12/24 at all. It gives some room for Threadripper to still exist.

4.6, maybe a hair higher, is probably about the ceiling you can expect on all of these chips. That isn't shabby by any means. Sure, it's not 5.0, but it's not shabby either. And hey, backwards motherboard compatibility! And a decent air cooler in the box. And you don't have to disable hyperthreading over security concerns. There's a lot of good news here, even if it didn't quite reach the hype that was out there.

Benchmarks will tell the story though, haven't seen much other than a Cinebench number. I remain cautiously optimistic, and more excited about the R7/R9 @105W than I am the 8/16 5.0 i9 that was announced yesterday @???W.

Depending on benches, it may be enough to finally get me to consider upgrading some of my Ivy Bridge/Haswell machines.
    mmolouOzmodan
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Gorwe said:
    Let me be selfish:

Does this mean that the previous generations will get cheaper?
    Depending on inventories, likely a little, but mostly, the older generations are going to be discontinued.  Really, though, if you want something cheaper, you could also consider a lower bin of the new generation.  Given a choice of:

Ryzen 5 3600:  6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6 GHz base, 4.2 GHz turbo, PCI-E 4.0, 65 W, $200
    Ryzen 5 2600X:  6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6 GHz base, 4.2 GHz turbo, PCI-E 3.0, 95 W, $200
    Ryzen 5 1600X:  6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, PCI-E 3.0, 95 W, $200

why would you want an older one?  Especially when you can drop the new CPU into an old motherboard if you have it.  The Ryzen 5 3600 will probably offer better IPC than the older parts, too.
    Gdemami
    Zen+ parts have been on sale for a while now leading up to this announcement. I expect they will remain so until bulk inventory clears, and then prices will go back up on the older parts (mainly  for people who are looking for legacy drop-in replacements).
    [Deleted User]
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I have amd 9590 which is 8 core 4.2. It is a nuclear reactor hot stuff which doesnt really worth to have compared to my intel cpus. I used AMD for 10 years and I am regretful for it. Do not fall for the number trap of cores, speed and money. AMD always sucked compared to Intel and always will be.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Ozmodan
    I have amd 9590 which is 8 core 4.2. It is a nuclear reactor hot stuff which doesnt really worth to have compared to my intel cpus. I used AMD for 10 years and I am regretful for it. Do not fall for the number trap of cores, speed and money. AMD always sucked compared to Intel and always will be.

Ozmodan
    up to 64 cores.
    Whatever AMD decides to market EPYC Rome as will be up to 64 cores.  It's plausible that the next generation Threadripper will be up to 64 cores.  But the parts that AMD just announced will top out at 12 cores initially, and possibly expand to 16 cores later.
    So you bought a CPU that was labeled as 220 W and you're surprised that it uses a lot of power?
    Ozmodan
    Quizzical said:
    up to 64 cores.
    Whatever AMD decides to market EPYC Rome as will be up to 64 cores.  It's plausible that the next generation Threadripper will be up to 64 cores.  But the parts that AMD just announced will top out at 12 cores initially, and possibly expand to 16 cores later.
    its not plausible, it's reality. 64 cores with 128  threads
    For EPYC, yes.  For Threadripper, possibly, but that hasn't been announced.  For Socket AM4 Ryzen 3000 series, no.  This thread is about that last platform.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

[Deleted User]dragonlee66

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-64-core-128-thread-7nm-rome-cpu,38032.html

Fabrication to begin later in 2019 into 2020, as they bring out the amd 12/ 24 /48 core offerings.

Intel has nothing, and with Navi coming Nvidia looks like a clown with ray tracing.
    That's EPYC Rome, which is a server part.  That's not Ryzen 3000 series, and it's not Socket AM4.  It's also not going to be $200-$500, like the parts that AMD announced today.

As far as Navi, that's a GPU, so it's not even relevant to this thread.
    Maddog666
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-64-core-128-thread-7nm-rome-cpu,38032.html

Fabrication to begin later in 2019 into 2020, as they bring out the amd 12/ 24 /48 core offerings.

Intel has nothing, and with Navi coming Nvidia looks like a clown with ray tracing.
    Not sure if you think you are winning an argument by proving Quizzical is right
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2019
    I don't think AMD will bring a 16 core part for 2019, and maybe not for AM4. If they were planning to release a 16 core part, they would not have numbered the 12 core part the 3900X. It may not be an issue of yields but platform limitations. I imagine supporting 16 cores could require more resources than the AM4 platform offers.
    I would be interested to see what the 3800X looks like delidded. Just to make sure it's 1 CPU complex instead of 1 and a dummy.
    Asm0deus
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ryzen 5 3600 looks really nice with its $200 price tag.

The CPUs above it give very little performance increase for normal gamer or office user.

Cleffy said:
    I would be interested to see what the 3800X looks like delidded. Just to make sure it's 1 CPU complex instead of 1 and a dummy.
    Here you go, though it has some drawings on the picture:

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/13909/cpu44_678x452.jpg
    Ridelynn
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I have the 2700X. I don't need to upgrade for the next 5 years at least. :)
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]Gorwe[Deleted User]Ozmodan

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

I made the mistake of buying the first batch of the Ryzen 1700X. Subsequent batches didn't have the same issues with the silicone as the first batch and it has some memory incompatibility that was later discovered by users on the AMD forums after they got replaced 1700X without those memory incompatibilities.
    This time I am going to wait a while.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited May 2019
    Gorwe said:
    Though I know that AMD offers that sexy backwards compatibility unlike Intel.
    That is mostly a marketing ploy that sounds better than it really is.

Gen2 Ryzen didn't provide any substiantial performance improvement to justify the upgrade and while we will need to wait  how gen3 turns out, I wouldn't be expecting much of a difference there either.

Regardless, it is rather moot since AM4 is supposed to be discontinued next year.
    edited May 2019
    3 generations of CPUs on one motherboard isn’t bad. I don’t think the specific intention is to upgrade every cycle (although I’m sure AMD would love it if you did), but every other cycle will show some significant jumps.

If you were a Ryzen 1 buyer, the option to upgrade to Zen2 is great. If you are just jumping into Ryzen with Zen2, then there isn’t any great reason to get anything other than a X570 motherboard now

it sure beats the needing a new motherboard for each new revision of Skylake for no good reason other than $$$ that has been going on for the last five years.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiGorwe
    It's better to have the option to upgrade just the CPU than not to have it.  Having the option to upgrade never makes you worse off, and might make you better off.
    Gorwe[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    AMD's "Next Horizon Gaming" presentation was mostly about GPUs, but they did have some CPU stuff in there, too.  The 16-core CPU that everyone expected was coming is, indeed, coming.  The details are 4.7 GHz turbo, 105 W TDP, $750, and launching in September.
    Ridelynn
    edited June 2019
    I was wrong on that front. Have you seen the amount of PCI-e lanes and L3 Cache that thing has. I actually have a use case for something like that since it's under $1000 and can work on a board under $500. Specifically the X370 board I have now hopefully.
    PCI-e 4.0 is not necessary right now. I don't think you can saturate a PCI-e 3.0 x8 with existing GPUs.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Intel is in serious trouble with their breat and butter server business, if I had Intel stock I would be selling it right now, these new CPUs are going to be cutting into that business.
    Gdemami
    Intel has been in trouble for a long time now. The writing has been on the wall ever since they missed the Mobile boat.
    [Deleted User]