Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is WoW Classic?

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
I played the later version a little. I didn't follow the game so I'm not familiar with what the "Classic" version was.
Can anyone fill me in on the basic differences?

Once upon a time....

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I played the later version a little. I didn't follow the game so I'm not familiar with what the "Classic" version was.
    Its Vanilla World Of Warcraft.   It will be like it was or very close to like it was back in 2005.   It will not be a fast paced fast food style MMORPG like we have today.  Things will take time and will need to be earned.   
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    danwest58 said:
    Its Vanilla World Of Warcraft.   It will be like it was or very close to like it was back in 2005.   It will not be a fast paced fast food style MMORPG like we have today.  Things will take time and will need to be earned.   
    Thanks, but that doesn't help me. How was it different?
    What made it... not fast food?

Once upon a time....

edited May 2019
    I'm not looking for detailed explanations.
    Just, did they change quests? Add the symbols above the NPC's, or more of a change?
    Did they change PvP? This one I'm pretty sure they did.
    What about trade? Did they add the trading houses?
    Did they change the advancement system in any way?

I know they added the LFG thing. And the fast travel to the quest dungeons. That stuff was after I played.

And I'm just looking for a very basic idea of what the changes might have been like.

Heck, maybe I played what you all call "Classic" and just don't know it.

Once upon a time....

I'm not trying to trick anyone. This is a sincere question.
    Even a general idea of what the beginning of the end of "WoW Classic" was?

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2019
    I understand what your getting at;
    Its Wow 1-60, The content is much harder than the retail of today.  3 starting areas for the Alliance and 3 for the Horde. After leaving the 1-10 level areas is where it gets MUCH more difficult, in fact some quest involve others help. 

The most important thing to keep in mind is Gold savings by level 40, thats where you would need 90 gold for your first mount (I stress this, gold is hard to come by, and a LOT of people cant save that much and need to run by foot longer).  Up until then you would have to run around but the flight paths are their just spread out so getting around could be tedious. 

The community is usually better for the fact that you need others for quest and Dungeons, so you want to make a good name for yourself on your server.

Speaking of servers you will have to pick a dedicated server and stick to it. 

Dungeons... no speed runs or you would get your party killed, do it often and you get a bad name for yourself on the server. 

The music is different from Retail now, its the original sound track for each zone.
    And no videos and no Dynamic content. 

Quest could be more bland but much harder and you will die a lot, your health will drop easily during fights and your regeneration rate will be slower, so you will have to pause and rest or eat or bandage yourself often. 

Mana is hard to come by for casting and healing classes, more so during low levels.  Healers have a hard time healing because of manna, so they have to play very efficiently.  Pause often in dungeons, so mana can regain and everyones health could improve. 

Talent points start at level 10, with three different styles of play for each class.  This may not be new for you, but spend them EXTRA wisely they could much more important, than retail today. It's better to pick a tree and stick with it to get the good stuff at the bottom.    

It takes an average four to six moths to reach level 60 if you new and take your time, but faster for the power players that knows how to use the system.

I totally recommend to play slow and get to know the people, make a lot of friends, it should be very social because your locked on a server.
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    Scot
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    "The content is much harder than the retail of today"  
    It wasn't harder, it was just slower. Took longer to kill mobs, more xp to level up, gold wasn't as available and things like mounts and leveling cost a lot more, reps were grindier and no daily quests to help out. Everything just took longer to do.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Torval said:

I was sincerely answering. What is laughable about my answer?
    Because no one asking that question would have any idea what the ruleset of any number was.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Here's my recollections of Vanilla as of last August:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475752/have-the-things-i-disliked-about-vanilla-changed/p1

Since then, I've played it after the Battle for Azeroth release, so my memories of the game as it was could be contaminated by how it played more recently.  But when I created the original post there, I hadn't played since quitting right around the time of the version that they call "Classic".

Now, there should be a bias alert caveat on that post, as a "why I didn't like the game" isn't an unbiased explanation of what the game was or was not.
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

I was sincerely answering. What is laughable about my answer?
    Because no one asking that question would have any idea what the ruleset of any number was.
    I guess I could have linked it but every patch with an entire version history back to 1.x is available with a quick google search. Anyone who's played WoW more than a few patch cycles would know about it. The post right above said they didn't want details but just the high level points of what has changed. The 1.x - 1.12 patch notes tell you exactly that in short bullet point format. Just the highlights with sparse details.
    I checked out 1.12 before I answered.
    https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_1.12.0
    That didn't help much, since it doesn't tell me what came later on that moved it away from "Classic."

"There are some tweaks to make things work with modern launcher but most flaws are reproduced as they existed at the time with a bent towards recreating the environment as it was."

That's why I laughed. Come on, man, lol.

But thanks for trying. I just couldn't follow.

Once upon a time....

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Classic is Blizzard's take on what players often refer to as vanilla.  Vanilla was the initial release of WoW.

Classic IS NOT vanilla.  It is based on (note that, it is "based on") version 1.12 of WoW, which came much later than release.  It is also modified to play under the current game engine, thus the graphics are actually much better than they would be on a private server which is running under the old engine.  So the models may be old, but they aren't the old models by virtue of how it's being rendered.

Blizzard took it upon themselves to modify 1.12 so it's not the same 1.12 on private servers.  Things like the graveyards in Alterac Valley have been moved... in vanilla, one side clearly had the advantage due to graveyard placement.  This is just one of many alterations to the original code.

So Classic is not vanilla and it is not retail.  It's closer to vanilla than retail but I'd say private servers are closer to the real deal overall.  

Remember, Blizzard's approach was to overwrite everything with each new patch, thus the old was always basically destroyed forever from the players perspective.  You can't play any expansion, including the current expansion (BfA( as it was released unless you were there at release.  

This has brought many players to want the old game back...mainly because they can't play it sans some private server that may be taken down at any moment or chooses to sell everything to players for real money under the guise of a donation.

Classic is not vanilla.  Will never be.  It is a remake of an old version of the game that tries to closely resemble the original.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Siris23 said:
    "The content is much harder than the retail of today"  
    It wasn't harder, it was just slower. Took longer to kill mobs, more xp to level up, gold wasn't as available and things like mounts and leveling cost a lot more, reps were grindier and no daily quests to help out. Everything just took longer to do.
    No it was objectively harder. 

Mobs did more damage, had more health, moved faster, had a wider aggro radius and followed you further before resetting. Your resources were more limited and regenned slower. Your skills cast slower and did less damage. Gear was much less common so you were often undergeared for your level. 

Pulling more than one mob at a time was very dangerous for any class except mage (who needed a specific build that was worthless for dungeons and PvP), and elite mobs were practically unsoloable without a few levels advantage or cheesing them with pathing. 

I played the 1-20 experience in modern WoW and it was comically easy. You can pull multiple mob, 2 shot them and face tank to your hearts content. There is little downtime, and you don't need to make any effort at all to be efficient with your resources and cooldowns. 
    Thanks for the answers, everyone.
    I did not play the Classic version, I know that for sure now.

I also begin to understand where some of you are coming from in other topics. I see where the "easy" comments come from, related to Themepark games.
    As a Sandbox guy, I consider the quest -> grind as an "easy" element of design, one where the game tells you what to do. So now I have a little different insight into what some of you mean when you talk about "easy."

Despite my Sandbox wants, I don't have anything like that to play. I did enjoy many things in WoW, mainly the polish and range of content.
    I didn't like the ease either.

Kyleran

Once upon a time....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited May 2019
    I would have preferred them to have attempted a hybrid version myself, a sort of Classic plus, keeping content that expanded gameplay area. But who knows that may be next on the cards. After all new regions do not necessarily come with new rulesets.

But that's just a possible future for now here is hoping classic takes off, and as all the other classic servers have in other MMORPG's I see no reason this one will not too.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Will it have Old AV? That's my main thing with this. Old AV is a must for me to play Vanilla WoW. Because the rest of those old features I moved away from. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Scot said:
    I would have preferred them to have attempted a hybrid version myself, a sort of Classic plus, keeping content that expanded gameplay area. But who knows that may be next on the cards. After all new regions do not necessarily come with new rulesets.

But that's just a possible future for now here is hoping classic takes off, and as all the other classic servers have in other MMORPG's I see no reason this one will not too.
    I'm thinking you are right. It's inevitable that a lot of newer features will be missed once players start playing it.

I see this:
    "as players progress, we’ll introduce more content like Alterac Valley, the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort and Naxxramas."

MMOExposed, is that the AV you are talking about?

Once upon a time....

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Classic is Magical land filled with Murlocks and Fulborgs. If its gonna be your first time playing it, id suggest Night Elf class, lore heavy with absolutely stuning starting zone and music.

delete5230

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

Scot said:

I'm thinking you are right. It's inevitable that a lot of newer features will be missed once players start playing it.

I see this:
    "as players progress, we’ll introduce more content like Alterac Valley, the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort and Naxxramas."

MMOExposed, is that the AV you are talking about?
    Yes. Old AV is a must for me. To do all that grinding again to be competitive,  I must have my old AV fetish satisfied. That was a straight up classic. Being scared of NPCs while watching my faction from enemy faction player army was a great feeling. Choke point and all. If they release that version of AV from the patch before TBC, I cant cosign that because it killed Old AV to make Arena the new main PvP. So we will see which version of AV they go with.

Classic is Magical land filled with Murlocks and Fulborgs. If its gonna be your first time playing it, id suggest Night Elf class, lore heavy with absolutely stuning starting zone and music.

I played it before. My favorite character was a Night Elf Druid.

Is Classic going to have those 3 options to choose from as a subset under the classes? Maybe that was just the druid class. I think that was a newer feature so I wouldn't expect it.

Once upon a time....

Speaking of newer features that would be missed, if I remember right the Saber Cat form of the Druid got levelled out of usefulness? The Bear became the thing to morph into?

That's the sort of thing I don't like about Themeparks. Something you like, but then you have to move past it due to levels.

But I might be all wrong about this particular point.

Once upon a time....

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    WoW, harder than modern WoW, but still not hard.
    Scot[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Amathe said:
    WoW Classic is considered "hardcore".
    Strange days indeed.
    AmatheDrunkWolfKyleranIselinPhry[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    NorseGod said:
    Amathe said:
    WoW Classic is considered "hardcore".
    Strange days indeed.
    It would be like calling the Mamas and the Papas "heavy metal."  It's not that the group isn't good. But they're not that.
    NorseGodAmarantharKyleran[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited May 2019
    Paladins will miss being able to play anything dealing with Melee. Again another point I was trying to make as well. Many of those old concepts from back then, people today wont like. A Paladin being only a Healer, and the worst healer of the 4 healers. Priest>=Druid >Shaman > Paladin. 

Problem was Paladin had limited tools to heal, yet had no adequate non healing role/tools. Where as a Warrior class could both Tank and DPS back then. I hated that design philosophy but Blizzard was very Anti Paladin back then. That made me resent Healing, until I experienced playing A healer in Rift. 

Also remember Paladins cant reach uncrushable by normal means back then. So no Paladin Tanks. You all ready for that?

Yeah I may sound like I have a lot of pent up anger but hey I mained a Paladin from Vanilla to WoTLk and experienced that shit storm that came with it.
    KyleranBakgrind

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Classic WoW is like rewinding your girlfriend back to when she was 16.....except now you are 45 and the whole thing is frankly quite disturbing :)
    AmatheAlBQuirkyzzax
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Paladins will miss being able to play anything dealing with Melee. Again another point I was trying to make as well. Many of those old concepts from back then, people today wont like. A Paladin being only a Healer, and the worst healer of the 4 healers. Priest>=Druid >Shaman > Paladin. 
    What? Paladins are easily one of the best healers in the game. Druid is, by far, the worst.
    Leiros