Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Dock

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
Looking for a dock for a Lenovo Y7000.

Nothing is listed on the Lenovo website nor the "dock finder" they have.

Any ideas/suggestions?

It has a USB 3.1 type C

This is the model exactly like I got: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-legion-y7000

Not sure if any powered dock would work.  That would be ideal, but if not at least something to plug in the monitor, KB/Mouse...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    That one says:  A total of up to "60W" can be charged to the laptop after deduction of 15W is used by the dock.

The power pack that comes with the laptop shows 170W.

Dunno if it needs to be that high or what would happen if I plugged in one with less power...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Normally It would just charge your laptop a bit slower.

It’s remotely possible that under heavy use that your battery could still go down slowly even while charging 
    Thanks!
    Docks are 1 thing I am fairly clueless about.
    Just looking to hookup Monitor, KB, Mouse and maybe printer to it so that I just have to plug in 1 cord.

Did not want to start a fire by trying to draw too much power through the dock.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Laptops usually stay under 65W power usage, even for gaming.  so 60W of throughput power should be enough as long as you don't marathon some hardcore game at max settings!  Not that anyone on this site would EVER do such a thing...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    USB (ones that actually follow the spec, not cheap knockoffs or dumb chargers) can limit the current draws very precisely - that way they do not catch things on fire.
    Found this one that seems to have higher power throughput

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6CGFXK/ref=emc_b_5_t

Ridelynn

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    GladDog said:
    Laptops usually stay under 65W power usage, even for gaming.  so 60W of throughput power should be enough as long as you don't marathon some hardcore game at max settings!  Not that anyone on this site would EVER do such a thing...
    That is true of most laptops in the sense that most laptops don't have a discrete GPU.  I wouldn't bet on a laptop with a 45 W CPU and a 100 W GPU reliably staying under 60 W under heavy gaming loads.  The GPU is probably throttled back as compared to desktop cards so as to only use something like 75 W.  But still, that's a 45 W CPU (the desktop version is 95 W), so if you push the CPU and GPU at the same time, power usage is going to go way over 65 W.

Now, whenever you're not pushing the laptop hard (and other than gaming, you probably never will), then it will reliably stay under 65 W.
    GladDog
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    edited May 2019
    Here is a duck

Its to shy to be shown..  :/

mmolou

Quizzical said:
    GladDog said:
    That is true of most laptops in the sense that most laptops don't have a discrete GPU.  I wouldn't bet on a laptop with a 45 W CPU and a 100 W GPU reliably staying under 60 W under heavy gaming loads.  The GPU is probably throttled back as compared to desktop cards so as to only use something like 75 W.  But still, that's a 45 W CPU (the desktop version is 95 W), so if you push the CPU and GPU at the same time, power usage is going to go way over 65 W.

Now, whenever you're not pushing the laptop hard (and other than gaming, you probably never will), then it will reliably stay under 65 W.
    I checked at work, and laptops with discrete GPUs (we have one we use, a Zbook 15 with AMD FirePro graphics) use a 150W power adapter.  All of the ones using onboard grpahics use 65W power adapters.

Then I checked my own gaming laptop, an ACER Predator with an i7-7700HQ CPU and a Nvidia GTX1060 6GB GPU, and the power levels listed on the adapter are 19.5V and 9.23A, which is a total of 180W.  I doubt it gets to that high of a level all of the time, but I would think it would be crossing the 100W barrier regularly while gaming.

So, I thank you Quizzical.  Because of your answer in this thread I won't be buying the 85W docking station I was looking at.

GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:
    GladDog said:

I checked at work, and laptops with discrete GPUs (we have one we use, a Zbook 15 with AMD FirePro graphics) use a 150W power adapter.  All of the ones using onboard grpahics use 65W power adapters.

Then I checked my own gaming laptop, an ACER Predator with an i7-7700HQ CPU and a Nvidia GTX1060 6GB GPU, and the power levels listed on the adapter are 19.5V and 9.23A, which is a total of 180W.  I doubt it gets to that high of a level all of the time, but I would think it would be crossing the 100W barrier regularly while gaming.

So, I thank you Quizzical.  Because of your answer in this thread I won't be buying the 85W docking station I was looking at.
    Well darn... that is my dilemma exactly. I do not think they have docks that go beyond 100W (of which the cock reserves 15).  At least not that I have found...

edited May 2019
    GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:
    GladDog said:

Well darn... that is my dilemma exactly. I do not think they have docks that go beyond 100W (of which the cock reserves 15).  At least not that I have found...

While niether of us have the convenience of using a single plug docking station (there is a docking station for the discrete GPU work laptops, but you have to plug in power and the actual dock  for it to work), I'm going to get this Docking Station  https://www.newegg.com/gray-wavlink-ws-ug39dk7/p/1DN-0023-00008?Description=docking%20station&cm_re=docking_station-_-9SIA6PF4YP0455-_-Product that is on a very good sale, and buy a spare power adapter, so I have power at my desk and in the backpack I use when I travel with it.