Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar Release 66 Lands on QA - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageShroud of the Avatar Release 66 Lands on QA - MMORPG.com

For Shroud of the Avatar players who are inclined to help the devs test the next addition to the game, Update 66 has landed on the QA server. It includes a number of additions such as new Warding and Taming skills, Leacherboards, updates to the new user experience, new emotes alongside bug fixes and other technical improvements.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Is this game worth playing? I've seen the negative reviews but I am desperate for a MMO to play.........and was wondering if it is FUN? Thanks,

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ramdyramdy Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I would not recommend it. Very few people play and the game is a mess as it never had a real direction. There are decent MMO out there that are considered fun but this is not one.
    Same here. This game is such a pain, tedious and boring to play...

It is also heavily zoned, so tedious traveling around... graphics outdated, mechanics from 20 years ago and, BTW, it is p2p based (no client-server) so very easy to cheat as well.
    TokkenJamesGoblinXee2018
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I think if you had a group of like minded friends you could have a great time, but that can be and is said of just about any online game.
    DracSchnider
  • urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    This game is worth avoiding for Portalarium's shady practices alone.
    LeFantomeJamesGoblinEarthgirl
  • Gravidy42Gravidy42 Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Tokken said:

Is this game worth playing? I've seen the negative reviews but I am desperate for a MMO to play.........and was wondering if it is FUN? Thanks,

Absolutely. The game is a lot harder than most of the spoon-fed titles out there, but if you're OK with a challenge, it's worth getting into. It's actually more of a sandbox, than it is an RPG, so take that into consideration (i.e., you have to set your own goals). Also, all the content is free-to-play, so you can give it a try without any cost greater than the download. If you do, look up Gravidy in game.
    TokkenJamesGoblinDaemonweaverDracSchniderEarthgirlbwwianakievurinal_goose
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100

Tokken said:

It's worth seeing for yourself. Once you get past one Oustkirt, it shifts away from that very hand holdy experience to "do whatever you want". When you do finish that Outskirt, tell the main NPC there "Deed" to get your land, and "Gear" to get some stuff.
    JamesGoblinTokkenDaemonweaverEarthgirlurinal_goose

ramdy said:

I would not recommend it. Very few people play and the game is a mess as it never had a real direction. There are decent MMO out there that are considered fun but this is not one.

It is also heavily zoned, so tedious traveling around... graphics outdated, mechanics from 20 years ago and, BTW, it is p2p based (no client-server) so very easy to cheat as well.

That is not true.
    urinal_gooseLeFantomeJamesGoblin
  • urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89

ramdy said:

That is not true.

The game is heavily instanced: either that, or practically every review of this game that lists heavy instancing as a con is untrue.

One only needs to look at undoctored screenshots from this game to tell that the graphics are outdated.

The game is P2P--here's a forum post that confirms that: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/even-though-p2p-is-disabled-sota-is-still-trying-to-connect-to-remote-clients.46369/

So which part of ramdy's post were you saying isn't true?
    LeFantomeJamesGoblindanwest58Earthgirl
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

ramdy said:

That is not true.

Be honest, you know it's true. The game is a scam that even Lord British is avoiding like a cancer.
    Best advice , stay away guys.
    JamesGoblinurinal_gooseDracSchniderEarthgirl

edited May 2019

Tokken said:

Dude, the game is empty . Nobody is playing this wanna be game. Do yourself a favor, don't waste your time .
    JamesGoblinTokkenEarthgirl

ramdy said:

That is not true.

The game is heavily instanced: either that, or practically every review of this game that lists heavy instancing as a con is untrue.

One only needs to look at undoctored screenshots from this game to tell that the graphics are outdated.

The game is P2P--here's a forum post that confirms that: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/even-though-p2p-is-disabled-sota-is-still-trying-to-connect-to-remote-clients.46369/

It's not true that it is easy to cheat. The one video of a guy doing so is in Single Player. Cheat all you want there.
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeDaemonweaver
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Is this from the guy who claims all the glory for Ultima or EverQuest? Cause I wouldn't trust either of them. 
    LeFantome

ramdy said:

That is not true.

It's not true that it is easy to cheat. The one video of a guy doing so is in Single Player. Cheat all you want there.

ok and what about It is also heavily zoned, so tedious traveling around... graphics outdated, mechanics from 20 years ago and, BTW, it is p2p based (no client-server) so very easy to cheat as well.

You first said it wasn't true. Now you're taking about cheating.. meaning you were wrong on the P2P and the outdated graphics.
    Don't try man.. the game is bad and the devs are liars. Oh, and what about that book .. did you get your novel or they lied about that too?
    JamesGoblinEarthgirl

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Tokken said:
    You'd might as well try it for yourself since it's free to play.  I will tell you that, as a dedicated fan of the original Ultima RPG's, SotA is the biggest gaming disappointment of my life.  Before you consider putting substantial amounts of money into the game (which is what the developers and many of the player sellers want you to do, despite what they say to the contrary), consider that there is a very low player base and that the game largely survives on "begathons."  My suggestion is that you play it as light entertainment if you enjoy it, and don't get too monetarily involved, as the future of the game looks bleak.
    JamesGoblinTokkennewbismxEarthgirl
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited May 2019
    Tried to go back and get the free house offer recently . I can log into the website but when I try and get into the game it wont recognise my details . Tried changing the password , same thing could get into my account but not the actual game itself .

Eventually I gave up and uninstalled the game again .
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Is this from the guy who claims all the glory for Ultima or EverQuest? Cause I wouldn't trust either of them. 

The guy is a legend you got to give him that. What he did with UO is in my mind nothing short but legendary! However this game is just a walking joke!
    LeFantomeEarthgirl

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    This is the game that turned a life long fan of Lord General British into a hater. I grew up with the Ultimas, loved everything Origin published, and was a fan of all the MMOs he was involved in. I loved he passion he had shown in his previous games, and the whole speech he gave about what the perfect RPG should be moved me in a way a grown man should not be moved. Which was why I backed this game on day 1, to the sum of nearly $1000. And yeah, like others have said, biggest disappointment of my life.

Everything is broken about this game, broken, unfinished and unpolished. Graphics and combat mechanics are dated and broken since day one, with very little improvement since beta. Don't expect the living, breathing, open worlds of the classic Ultimas - the world here is a tiny mess of a hellhole comprised of a series of empty small generic instances linked together by a top down overmap. NPCs are thinly scattered, and are all plain, generic, and meaningless.

The combat isn't fun to play, the world not interesting to experience, the story and characters not unique or memorable. The plot, the writing, the... everything. Even the music was disappointing. I literrally have nothing good to say about this game. Granted, last time I revisited it was back when it officially launched, which was a while back now, so things might've changed, but goddamnit they couldn't even put mounts in - they promised mounts but apparently couldn't do it for some reason, so you know what they did? Gave folks ingame coconuts, and horse hats, so they can run around clapping the damn things. COCONUTS. WTF?!! URGGG.
    urinal_gooseLeFantomenewbismxEarthgirl
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited May 2019
    Best horse ride EVAH!
    TokkenScot

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The problem with this is i already have great taming within Atlas and i had it right out of the box,i didn't have to wait for years to see it.We also have BREEDING ,so the entire pet system is just way ahead of where this game is trying to get to.

Where these mmorpg's need to go is imo EVENTS,one's that bring all the people in the nearby villages together to protect the village.I guess you could say similar to Rifts but done better.Perhaps a group of giants wander across the lands and stumble upon a village and set upon attacking it.They might kill and capture npc's within that village meaning you lose those services.Then you have to form a group to go out and free the captured npc's to get their services back.

This game imo was never meant to break any ground,never meant to be a game set in 2019,it was meant to try and cash in on the Garriot name,bring back some simple ideas from the past.I am looking for modern,WELL THOUGHT out designs,not kickstarters or crowd funders.
    Earthgirl

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This game will be shut down before the end of 2020. No way this game makes it with very little money coming in and no player base left.
    LeFantomeperrin82
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Gravidy42 said:

Tokken said:

Absolutely. The game is a lot harder than most of the spoon-fed titles out there, but if you're OK with a challenge, it's worth getting into. It's actually more of a sandbox, than it is an RPG, so take that into consideration (i.e., you have to set your own goals). Also, all the content is free-to-play, so you can give it a try without any cost greater than the download. If you do, look up Gravidy in game.
    Welcome to our forums! :)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    The sad thing is that when this game was  early in development it carried an alternative focus, had some attempts at different, possibly innovative ideas.  Some of the early concept art is floating around the internet. Check it out.  But all the fans wanted retread Ultima.  All the fans would only pay for retread Ultima concepts.  Investors as well.   It got enough money to do something, but not enough measure up against the rosy nostalgia goggles.

And thus leading to the complaints about regurgitated meals.....
    Scot

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

to be fair, he was a legend to create UO, no denying that tho.. he should have not create SOTA to ruin his legendary status in the gaming industry. now he lost that status with this joke.
    MensurScotLeFantomeEarthgirlbwwianakiev

So What Now?

• gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    this thing is the star (scam) citizen of mmorpgs.
    bwwianakiev
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I agree with the gist of what most of you guys are saying.

One of the biggest disappointments in gaming and really tarnished my image of Lord British.

This game isnt worth the electricity to download, sadly.
    urinal_goose