Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game Morrowind Online?

Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
The last Elder Scrolls I played was Morrowind, is this that game online? Or is it another boring Themepark MMO? Thanks. 
Beezerbeez

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
    It is as Matt Fior tried to create an Elder Scrolls online just as it says , They set out to create a game that would give a Multi player coop Elder Scrolls experience . they accomplshed that , Its a very solid game , if you havent tried it you should , partiularly before you quit the site and the genre .. From you other thread i was just reading ...   The Exploration and Crafting are top notch , the combat is fun for the most part , ( i also like the Fishing)  There are many quests , just like any other game , many tied to the ES lore ... Many also violate that lore ... imo..

PvP zone Cyrodill can be fun ..

Its a really good experience that any fan of ES should try imo
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Scorchien said:
    It is as Matt Fior tried to create an Elder Scrolls online just as it says , They set out to create a game that would give a Multi player coop Elder Scrolls experience . they accomplshed that , Its a very solid game , if you havent tried it you should , partiularly before you quit the site and the genre .. From you other thread i was just reading ...
    Well that was from 2007, I was just posting back on that for fun. I'm just looking for a new mmorpg as I haven't played one in many years. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    It is as Matt Fior tried to create an Elder Scrolls online just as it says , They set out to create a game that would give a Multi player coop Elder Scrolls experience . they accomplshed that , Its a very solid game , if you havent tried it you should , partiularly before you quit the site and the genre .. From you other thread i was just reading ...
    Well that was from 2007, I was just posting back on that for fun. I'm just looking for a new mmorpg as I haven't played one in many years. 
    ahhh , i see...   Try it out  man , it has a free trial , what could it hurt ..
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    https://www.mmorpg.com/elder-scrolls-online/previews/morrowind-review-in-progress-1000011751

When ESO launched it had a lot of Oblivion about it. Anchors, character races, the flowers, the mobs, even some of the quests and more - everything had a very familiar feel. As time has passed other ES games have been incorporated e.g. Daggerfall. Along with some new stuff.

And in 2017 Morrowind was added. The link is to the sites "Review in Progress" at the time. There were other threads. For all intents and purposes the geography and look of Morrowind was captured - and correctly scaled - by the expansion.

Edit: from the review: "What’s perhaps most impressive about Morrowind is, well, Morrowind. It’s damned near mystifying just how good it looks in ESO and yet how much it remains like the original game’s map. It’s been ages since I traipsed about Morrowind, but it felt like coming home. Like many, TES3 was my gateway to the series, and to see it revived in ESO, one of the best MMORPGs available, it pretty danged auspicious."
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Pretend like your not playing an Elder Scrolls game and you will have fun.  Its a well made game overall but it will let you down if you go in thinking your playing some sort of online line persistent Elder Scrolls universe.  Its not that same feeling.
    Viper482HyperpsycrowGorweTeala
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I hereby summon the gods of ESO to help you out.

@Iselin @Torval @Sovrath ;
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited May 2019
    The last Elder Scrolls I played was Morrowind, is this that game online? Or is it another boring Themepark MMO? Thanks. 

Aside from the lore, no. It's a watered down Morrowind with other people playing in the world with you. It's story based more than anything, themepark-ish but you can go anywhere at any level and the content scales with you. Play it like a single player game, because it pretty much is that with optional group content and chat. 
    Gorwe
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I personally do not feel it plays like an Elder Scrolls game. It has the lore, and setting of Elder Scrolls though. I would be playing this game if it werent for the animation cancelling. I just cannot get past that. If you dont mind such things its a solid game with a ton of content under its belt. 
    Gorwe
    Torval said:

Iselin Torval Sovrath 
    Definitely not a god of this or any game really. I stumble through most of them. In my opinion the answer is no, this isn't Morrowind. The zones look good and they look like Elder Scrolls for the most part. It doesn't play like the single player ES games at all though.

Like Scorch said, the OP should try it out.
    Don't worry about it mate. Most gods are man made anyways. 
    [Deleted User]

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Um, excuse me.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:

Um, excuse me.
    Are you trying to convert me? 
    [Deleted User]

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    ESO is pretty cool but it isn’t Morrowind Online. God, I wish it was.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited May 2019
    you probably WONT like the game

quest quest quest quest quest   Levels do not matter,  Nothing really matters

i hate how all the enemies change there levels to what level you Are currently
    All the classes feel the exact same pretty much hahah it is just a Very weird version of Elder scrolls
     you can Equip anything you want and thats how you get Some of your skills , (Sounds like a good idea,  But it is Horrible in my experience with this game)

i Really wanted to love this game , but after trying it 5-10 times i just cannot enjoy it
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    edited May 2019
    Scorchien said:

There is no new or great mmorpg games out there anymore...Welcome to hell !
    Eso is great in the start but you will eventualy be bored when you have ur max gear and did the most quest lines, then there is only ur "paragon" skills you can lvl up until xxxxx amount,,you have been warned...!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    Grimula said:
    <snip>
    i hate how all the enemies change there levels to what level you Are currently<snip>

Not what happens.

The level of the mobs doesn't change; its set at cp160.  (some are easy cp160, some are hard). 

New characters get a boost to cp160. This boost declines as you level becoming zero at cp160.  For the potential c.80% of your adventuring you will be more powerful than the mobs.

ESO wasn't like this when it launched. A level 20-ish fought 20-ish mobs etc. People wanted to go anywhere though. This was ZoS's solution, released as part of One Tamriel, that lets newbies go anywhere. You may not like it but the reception to One Tamriel has been very positive.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I know ESO's game engine isn't perfect, but I wish they'd redo all the ES games 1-4 at least, in this engine. I've tried to go back and play the earlier ones and just couldn't do it. I couldn't even get through 3, which is a real shame, because I hear lots of peeps say it was the best.

I know there are modders out there that have been working their lives away on Skyblivion & Skywind, and I hope those get completed and I'll pay and play them. That just leaves ES1-2 then.

You can play ESO pretty close to the solo games by going first person and getting rid of some UI stuff if you want.

The mechanic of skill cancelling I don't like, but I won't worry about that until/if I start PvP'ing. You def don't have to do that while you play the regular game, unless l33t's require it in some of the harder group content.

I'm enjoying the game so far. It could be better, but it's def improved over the vanilla release.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There are not many of us around here apparently who have played all of the PC TES games when they were new. And @Torval is absolutely right, they all play and feel quite a bit different from each other.

All they have in common really is the world/setting and, at least for the single player ones (although ESO also has that as an option... weird as it may be for a MMORPG,) first person view.

ESO feels very much like a TES game. It definitely does not feel like Morrowind, nor Oblivion, nor Skyrim. You can like any of those other games and not ESO. The opposite is also true. 
    Teala[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    God no, they borrowed some assets, textures and lore.   But the combat is nothing at all like an Elder scrolls game.  For example bows auto shoot, you cant draw your bow hold aim and release.  That's just one simple example.   Another major design flaw is that its a heavily instanced game, not an open world.  Its nuts because that's what an Elder Scrolls game is famous for, massive open worlds to explore.  These are small instanced zones with terrain blocking your views so it can run on consoles and toasters.

If it wasn't trying to be an Elder Scrolls game I could give them a pass.  You know that magical feeling you get when you log into Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim and start poking around?  Ya, its not there.  Its generic and bland feeling.  And it hurts that they missed the mark so bad.
    Gdemami