Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does ESO have such a horrible patch process? :(

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    Asking us to figure out what happened on your end when we have no idea of all the specifics.You might have been downloading during peak hours at the same time everyone else is d/ling,idk just a guess.
    What often happens by good developers/publishers is that a certain amount of files are downloaded into the game files BEFORE it arrives.Then on the day of release of that content the rest of the files are opened up and game play is on.it helps to lower the overhead of everyone trying to download the entire set of files all at the same time.

Also there is often a file check after downloading then of course the unpacking.
    As to addons,this is typical in ALL games,very frustrating yes but you should remember that addons are not developed or supported by developers,it would be the job of the add on authors to patch their work.
    Normally and over the past 30+ years of gaming,i have always been very much against addons because imo they are usually used to cheat.However i play Atlas now on private servers,addons are added by the owner of the server,so it is the same files for all players nobody has an advantage over the others.However on the main servers,i would be again very much against add ons,so i feel no sympathy towards them not working.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It's a better download and patching process than LoTRO.  I've yet to download or install an MMO that even comes close to that horror.
    mmolouGutlard

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    everything ESO is perfect.  it is the grandest mmorpg EVER!   I have replaced my real life with it and now I am happy!  the sub and chapters are a VERY small price to pay for happiness.  and I also have never had any patch or issues with ESO.  please be nice to ESO... it has feelings too.

Sz  :)
    Octagon7711
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited May 2019
    patch finished in 4 mins. 
    not a "general" ESO prob as it seems, and bugs happen.

especially when your game has to patch from some ages old version to the newest one, you simply can not catch all possible errors. repair on the other hand repairs broken stuff ^^
    mmolou

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    It's a better download and patching process than LoTRO.  I've yet to download or install an MMO that even comes close to that horror.
    I've had issues downloading Lord of the Rings Online. I finally decided to try to do it through Steam and lo and behold it solved my issues. At least as far as initial errors.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Yanocchi said:
    Anyway, it is a big problem for people who want to play the game once in a while and for whom ESO is not the main game. You just want to fire up the game and play it a bit but you're welcomed with a failing patching process that lasts many hours. That leaves a very bad impression.

No problems with ESO patching here, BUT I have said something similar to this to myself about EA's Origin server's patching.  I get KBS downloads on their 'service'.  Go to boot up BF V and see patch = 'oh well, guess I'll patch it tonight while I am sleeping'.

Funny thing is, if I go to patch an EA game on my Xbox One the game downloads at insane speeds comparatively.  IF EA launches a game that's worthy of purchasing again, I'll not be buying it on PC.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Too many hands in the pot causing stirring issues...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?