Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is Classic WoW actually Vanilla?

Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
I'm interested if it's WoW how it was, playable on a PC from 2004 like Vanilla Private Servers. If however it's just based on today's game with different rules.... I do not care.

Thanks. 

Comments

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    It's Classic WoW. Based on Vanilla. But not 100% Vanilla.
    Gorwe
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    What isn't Vanilla about it though? Will it run on my old PC? Have they gotten rid of instant travel and all that crap?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    What isn't Vanilla about it though? Will it run on my old PC? Have they gotten rid of instant travel and all that crap?
    Patch 1.12 was the final patch in World of Warcraft’s vanilla days and was originally released on Aug. 22, 2006. That is the version we are getting. Auction houses were linked in this version and all that. No modern WOW shenanigans.
    It sounds good, but I quit after they allowed you to warp to Battlegrounds, is that still in there? The best thing about the game was having to travel to them and waiting outside. 

Mors.Magnesunandshadow
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2019
    Patch 1.12 was the final patch in World of Warcraft’s vanilla days and was originally released on Aug. 22, 2006. That is the version we are getting. Auction houses were linked in this version and all that. No modern WOW shenanigans.
    It sounds good, but I quit after they allowed you to warp to Battlegrounds, is that still in there? The best thing about the game was having to travel to them and waiting outside. 

I take it when you go to Walt Disney World your favorite part is waiting in the two hour lines, and not actually the rides or attractions themselves. 

Fast passes are for sissies.   :D
    [Deleted User]MMOExposedsunandshadowDrunkWolfk61977

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Only in the early days of Battlegrounds players had to travel to the entrance points to participate; in patch 1.12 there were Battlemasters in capital cities, allowing to queue up for any BG. That's a Vanilla feature, not modern WoW feature.
    Phrymmolou[Deleted User]
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    you can warp to battlegrounds, you sholudn't play, then, i mean it's completely fine to not have you on my server, you're complete ass probably :D
    GorwemmolouAnthurmrputtsSkymourneDarkpigeon
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited May 2019

you have to go to a battlemaster to queue(its not queue anywhere) but you "warp" when your game starts.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I think the op is asking "what are the differences". 
    Both big and small....... If not, I'll ask what are the differences ?  
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    Sheep will last 1 min and fear will last 30 sec and almost not break :D
    And you can cast endless fear ?

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited May 2019
    This goes into what they did to insure it was restored as closely to vanilla as possible. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYZ_cZRieRU
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Kyleran said:

I take it when you go to Walt Disney World your favorite part is waiting in the two hour lines, and not actually the rides or attractions themselves. 

If you could snap your fingers at any given moment and instantly be on that Disney World ride I wonder if that ride would continue to be fun and exciting??? I'm guessing no... 
    GdemamiKyleran
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Gyva02 said:
    Kyleran said:

If you could snap your fingers at any given moment and instantly be on that Disney World ride I wonder if that ride would continue to be fun and exciting??? I'm guessing no... 
    Yes, because i still had to queue up... unless i had a buddy with some kinda VIP pass to get me in a special queue or the front of the line (tank or healer) or if i had a VIP Pass myself.

But even worst case scenario the queue was 3 x faster than it originally was and i'd be in line from a place of convenience saving time so i might be able to ride it again if i still wished and time permitted.
    [Deleted User]
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    I'm interested if it's WoW how it was, playable on a PC from 2004 like Vanilla Private Servers. If however it's just based on today's game with different rules.... I do not care.

Thanks. 
    Nope, not like back in the day vanilla..  There's some similarities especially graphically, but from a gameplay standpoint, exp to level is totally different(much faster than it used to be), mobs don't hit as hard and players aren't dying, little to no resting between battles how you used to have to do, scaling for classes is totally different than how it was. Players pulling mass amounts of mobs and living(couldn't do this in vanilla) The list goes on.... 

There's a LOT of things under the hood that are NOT vanilla in the slightest.   So, short answer - Nope, not even close.  While it may visually look like it, it simply doesn't play like it. I'm sure tons and tons of ppl will play it and love it while others wont.  I can't justify spending time playing the game when it's going to stop at a certain point from a progression standpoint so I will not be playing it when it launches.  

1 thing I find odd is how excited people are with Classic WoW coming up, very well knowing that the content will eventually hit a wall yet they bitch about lack of content in all current versions of WoW.  Very oxymoron like.

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Thanks. 
    Nope, not like back in the day vanilla..  There's some similarities especially graphically, but from a gameplay standpoint, exp to level is totally different(much faster than it used to be), mobs don't hit as hard and players aren't dying, little to no resting between battles how you used to have to do, scaling for classes is totally different than how it was. Players pulling mass amounts of mobs and living(couldn't do this in vanilla) The list goes on.... 

There's a LOT of things under the hood that are NOT vanilla in the slightest.   So, short answer - Nope, not even close.  While it may visually look like it, it simply doesn't play like it. I'm sure tons and tons of ppl will play it and love it while others wont.  I can't justify spending time playing the game when it's going to stop at a certain point from a progression standpoint so I will not be playing it when it launches.  

1 thing I find odd is how excited people are with Classic WoW coming up, very well knowing that the content will eventually hit a wall yet they bitch about lack of content in all current versions of WoW.  Very oxymoron like.

Seriously, wtf are you on about?

I guess you mixed up classic wow with retail wow.
    edited May 2019
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

Have you played classic yet on the beta?  It's not even close to vanilla.  Proof is in the pudding.  Soooo many things that are different.

You don't have to agree, that's just my experiences with both playing it and watching it.  To me personally and a couple buddies that are in the beta all agree, it's not even close to vanilla.  It has some similar feel to it but there's also a lot that's off.
    edited May 2019
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

Have you played classic yet on the beta?  It's not even close to vanilla.  Proof is in the pudding.  Soooo many things that are different.
    I mean the devs are running an original blade to cross check the differences that people keep calling bugs or wrong that are actually correct. but sure let's say it's completely different.

1 - your memories betray you from what the original experience actually was.

2 - Private servers were mainly guess work, so if you've been playing them don't expect them to be an accurate representation.

3 - i have the beta not just the stress test and it seems like a pretty accurate representation of what i played back then.

4 - yeah of course people are gonna level faster, they know the zones like the back of their hand and don't have to spent long periods of time trying to complete quests they have no idea of where they are going or spending time on thotbot looking for the answers to quest mob locations etc...

5 -  the devs are going to the trouble of replicating actual bugs that were present in Classic, pretty sure if they are going to go to all that trouble.. they aren't going to increase the speed of leveling just for the lulz.

I guess this is the real problem with releasing a Classic server.. it can't live up to everyones expectations because their memories and original feeling honestly can't be replicated.

Edit - before you ask me to prove i have classic beta

Maddog666
    mbrodie said:
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

I mean the devs are running an original blade to cross check the differences that people keep calling bugs or wrong that are actually correct. but sure let's say it's completely different.

2 - Private servers were mainly guess work, so if you've been playing them don't expect them to be an accurate representation.

3 - i have the beta not just the stress test and it seems like a pretty accurate representation of what i played back then.

4 - yeah of course people are gonna level faster, they know the zones like the back of their hand and don't have to spent long periods of time trying to complete quests they have no idea of where they are going or spending time on thotbot looking for the answers to quest mob locations etc...

5 -  the devs are going to the trouble of replicating actual bugs that were present in Classic, pretty sure if they are going to go to all that trouble.. they aren't going to increase the speed of leveling just for the lulz.

I guess this is the real problem with releasing a Classic server.. it can't live up to everyones expectations because their memories and original feeling honestly can't be replicated.

As I said to the other dude, you don't have to agree. My experiences are my experiences and my friends who play agree as well.  If you think its close to vanilla than ok, that's perfectly fine.  We can agree to disagree. 
    GdemamiMaddog666
    mbrodie said:
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

As I said to the other dude, you don't have to agree. My experiences are my experiences and my friends who play agree as well.  If you think its close to vanilla than ok, that's perfectly fine.  We can agree to disagree. 
    we can agree to disagree, but i made my comment before you edited your post to say it's your opinion... when you first wrote it you made it sound like it's a fact and the proof is the game which is what i was rebutting.

I guess at the end of the day regardless of what your thoughts are based off your own memories the actual experience is being checked against a real live server blade from classic WoW so the experience will be as 1:1 as possible.
    Maddog666
    edited May 2019
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

we can agree to disagree, but i made my comment before you edited your post to say it's your opinion... when you first wrote it you made it sound like it's a fact and the proof is the game which is what i was rebutting.

I guess at the end of the day regardless of what your thoughts are based off your own memories the actual experience is being checked against a real live server blade from classic WoW so the experience will be as 1:1 as possible.
    Jesus now we're just nitpicking aren't we?  This is why I hate posting on these forums because people turn arguments into bullshit Im right your wrong arguments like this. 

It's already been proven that it's not 1:1 when people have come out an ran tests of abilities and weapons scaling differently than vanilla, exp rates are different, mobs damage is different, the list goes on but thats ok you don't have to agree.  I'm done arguing with you.  To me and many others, this shit isn't close to vanilla.  You can say or think it is all you want, Blizzard can come out an say oh yeah we're replicating bugs and problems it had back in the day and people would buy it. It doesn't matter because to some of us that did play Vanilla and remember the experience, this isn't vanilla.   

And please don't sit here and tell me I don't remember much of Vanilla.  I can remember bright as day experiences from Everquest 20 years ago. 
    GdemamiMaddog666
    edited May 2019
    mbrodie said:
    mbrodie said:
    Mordred1 said:

Thanks. 

Jesus now we're just nitpicking aren't we?  This is why I hate posting on these forums because people turn arguments into bullshit Im right your wrong arguments like this. 

It's already been proven that it's not 1:1 when people have come out an ran tests of abilities and weapons scaling differently than vanilla, exp rates are different, mobs damage is different, the list goes on but thats ok you don't have to agree.  I'm done arguing with you.  To me and many others, this shit isn't close to vanilla.  You can say or think it is all you want, Blizzard can come out an say oh yeah we're replicating bugs and problems it had back in the day and people would buy it. It doesn't matter because to some of us that did play Vanilla and remember the experience, this isn't vanilla.   

And please don't sit here and tell me I don't remember much of Vanilla.  I can remember bright as day experiences from Everquest 20 years ago. 
    ran tests off what?

blizzard has the damn server up and running to check against. All other arguments are invalid.

Edit - let me fix what you wrote "i hate posting on forums because people present facts that i get upset about when my own opinion isn't fact and then present other futile arguments as facts which in fact they arent.. and MAH MEMORIES ARE MORE RIGHT THAN YOUR FACTS"

Edit 2 - I did infact play vanilla, i'm probably one of the earliest players of it and if they still listed account creation dates i could show you considering i had access from friends and family alpha and i'm talking about when 80% of skills had placeholder names and barely anything worked.

hell i hated the damn game up until close to release from how terrible of experience i had during the alpha etc...

and from my memories.. it feels pretty close to how Classic did at the end of classic before TBC launched.

So because some people have magically ran "tests" that validate your opinion it's fact.

i'd hate to break it to you but the fact blizzard has a genuine original classic server blade running to check things against isn't an opinion.. it's a fact. they do and it's damn near 1:1
    blamo2000Maddog666
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I have to agree.  Blizzard has at least one post I saw myself where they compare numbers from classic versus a video someone posted as proof the numbers are different from vanilla, and from their internal non-classic vanilla build which is the actual vanilla vanilla.  It is pretty irrefutable.  I believe I've seen people refer to other similar posts.  I don't check the forums often so I don't know how many of those there are, but Blizzard's posts I saw seems hard to argue against from a position of just feelings.  

Proof is proof.

Is Classic 100% vanilla?  Of course not.  The API is different so different macro ability, different mods, and the layering is new.  Some other issues like someone stated the way they have it set up doesn't allow for functional dual boxing or whatever its called when you have multiple accounts and characters you play all at once.  Itemization has been normalized at 1.12, etc.  I'm sure there are other things I missed or don't know about.  But the numbers seem to be accurate, and other than layering there is no non-vanilla anything being added.  
    mbrodieMaddog666
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I very much doubt you will be able to play it from a 2004 spec PC - from the video they are basically recoding the thing for modern PCs. They are mainly just reusing the mechanics and the databases and the rulesets from back in 2004.

Why are you still keeping a PC from 2004 around anyways? lol. Nothing on it will be supported anymore you'll be lucky if it boots into OS (given it would've been Windows XP)
    Maddog666
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    To be clear, Classic isn't 2004 Wow. It's 2006 Wow; patch 1.12 with the majority of mechanics straight from the 1.12 client but built on the more modern engine so Blizzard can host it on modern architecture and have full development tool support.

It's the mechanics of hosting the game and ensuring it's playable on day 1 that creates the majority of the differences. The primary game play however, is trying to be preserved. 

1.12 Wow is a light year from release Wow. Purge your memories of anything pre 1.12 or you'll do yourself an injustice. 
    MargraveMaddog666krgwynnePhryjimmywolf

You stay sassy!

• RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57

I agree with you that travelling to the Battlegrounds was fun, created a lot of pvp opportunities specially going to Hillsbrad Foothills to enter Alterac, if i remember right, it was a Rogue gank fest lol

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply