Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Irony

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
Remember when the unwelcomed, entitled Console Gamer Generation invited themselves to our genre, trashing our MMORPGs forever? Remember how smug they were about it?

So why are Console Gamer Generation so mad about the Mobile Gamer Generation? I thought Console Gamer Generation hated the old and wanted progress(TM)? Wasn't that their argument and justification? 

Thoughts?
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
IselinBaalzharonGdemami

Comments

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    NorseGod said:
    Remember when the unwelcomed, entitled Console Gamer Generation invited themselves to our genre, trashing our MMORPGs forever? Remember how smug they were about it?

So why are Console Gamer Generation so mad about the Mobile Gamer Generation? I thought Console Gamer Generation hated the old and wanted progress(TM)? Wasn't that their argument and justification? 

Thoughts?
    Piss on 'em.
    NorseGod

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited May 2019
    I've gamed since the early 80's, but always on console or arcade. I wasn't 'rich' enough for a computer, and didn't have any idea what I was missing or not. I did that until the late '90s when my roommate introduced me to X-Com UFO Defense, which was older by then, but I loved it!

I still didn't game on PC very much until '09 or so when I jumped into LOTRO/WoTLK head-first and never looked back, and PC gaming has taken over my main gaming habits. I didn't even know how to WASD or handle all the keys, and it was a slow learning process...!

I look at it as each type of media providing different experiences.

PC offered deeper/broader gaming experiences and the modding scene.
    Console offered drop-in/out, quicker experiences overall with some games with reaching deep/broad mechanics but short of PC.
    Mobile was mostly free shovelware/P2W you had to dig thru all the trash to find the gems, mostly, IMO.

I think the problem has been when Dev's see all the money being made in mobile P2W and they're trying to incorporate those mechanics where they don't belong in console and def not in PC. Trickle Up gamenomics at it's worst.

Stop trying to make each type of media exactly the same, and stop blurring the lines as much. Each has pro's/con's and each offers a gamer different choices, so stop taking away our choices maybe?

Idk, I think our purview is different depending on what we grew up with. For me now, it's PC at the top, followed by Console, with mobile at the very far bottom that I won't even play unless I have NO other options and have the gaming itch...

But it wasn't always like that.

Gut Out!
    NorseGodAsheram

What, me worry?

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    What is the Console Gamer Generation? I have never heard of that
    If you weren't in this genre back when studios started dumbing down their games and building their games to be simplistic to be ported over to consoles to chase those console gamers, then I wouldn't know how to explain it to you.
    BaalzharonGdemami
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gutlard said:
    I've gamed since the early 80's, but always on console or arcade. I wasn't 'rich' enough for a computer, and didn't have any idea what I was missing or not. I did that until the late '90s when my roommate introduced me to X-Com UFO Defense, which was older by then, but I loved it!

I still didn't game on PC very much until '09 or so when I jumped into LOTRO/WoTLK head-first and never looked back, and PC gaming has taken over my main gaming habits. I didn't even know how to WASD or handle all the keys, and it was a slow learning process...!

I look at it as each type of media providing different experiences.

PC offered deeper/broader gaming experiences and the modding scene.
    Console offered drop-in/out, quicker experiences overall with some games with reaching deep/broad mechanics but short of PC.
    Mobile was mostly free shovelware/P2W you had to dig thru all the trash to find the gems, mostly, IMO.

I think the problem has been when Dev's see all the money being made in mobile P2W and they're trying to incorporate those mechanics where they don't belong in console and def not in PC. Trickle Up gamenomics at it's worst.

Stop trying to make each type of media exactly the same, and stop blurring the lines as much. Each has pro's/con's and each offers a gamer different choices, so stop taking away our choices maybe?

Idk, I think our purview is different depending on what we grew up with. For me now, it's PC at the top, followed by Console, with mobile at the very far bottom that I won't even play unless I have NO other options and have the gaming itch...

But it wasn't always like that.

Gut Out!
    Home video game consoles have been around since the 1970's so I'm not sure what a console generation is?
    Anyway I started gaming on PC and still to this day rarely develop for console (though I did help port Hellblade to consoles)

I game on PC, Console and Mobile. I love all of them. I'm platform agnostic. I love games. If the game is good I could care less what platform it is on.   

Yeah I must have missed out on that "generational divide" lol. Ever since I got my first home PC in 1980 I have always had a console as well: Intellivision, Atari, Nintendos, PS, Xbox, etc.

ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited May 2019
    I had a console before home PCs were a thing...
    Pong4TW

Found it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRcdOfWawk
    ConstantineMerus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
        I personnally dont use any console , and never have , got a C64 in 82 i think it was and never saw the need for a console ( my son has an X Box tho)

That being said the Console Generation move came to PC gaming in about 2005 or so , we have Wow to thank for that also , Many many console players made a move to PC to play Wow and other PC games that were taking off , that just were not available on consoles at all ..
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I've never been able to get into small handhelds before, which has carried over into the mobile market, I guess. Even if there was a great mobile game chances are high I wouldn't even touch it...

I love to be proven wrong though, so I'll take any suggestions.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

@blueturtle13 ; @Iselin
    Then I assume you're going to fully support the demands from mobile gamers to make PC Game X easier to play like Mobile Game Y and the studios caving to them?
    NorseGod said:
    @blueturtle13 ; @Iselin
    Then I assume you're going to fully support the demands from mobile gamers to make PC Game X easier to play like Mobile Game Y and the studios caving to them?
    I don't know what world you live in although I suspect it's a 100% online one but I don't support made up interest groups nor companies. I just either buy or don't buy games and I don't give a shit what others are buying.
    NorseGodConstantineMerusAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Pong4TW

Found it:
    I remember when I first saw it at a party in the mid '70s. There were about 50 of us in line to play the winner :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:
    @blueturtle13 ; @Iselin
    I don't know what world you live in although I suspect it's a 100% online one but I don't support made up interest groups nor companies. I just either buy or don't buy games and I don't give a shit what others are buying.
    That's great! Glad you're happy with whatever you settle for.

I, however, require more from MMORPGs than what is being offered now and the known future. But, that's not what this thread is about.

To answer my own question, I find the irony, delicious.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Theres a pong game playing on a console so its relevant

Gamin', prayin', believin', maintainin'
    Textin', electin', rejectin', infectin'
    NorseGod

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

NorseGod said:
    The mmorpg genre is on life support and has been. 
    Why and since when?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Iselin said:
    Pong4TW

Found it:
    I remember when I first saw it at a party in the mid '70s. There were about 50 of us in line to play the winner :)
    We had to hook it up in the back of the TV to the antenna and select channel 3 if I recall correctly.

Shit... we don’t even have antennas on TVs anymore... lol

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Iselin said:
    Pong4TW

Found it:
    We had to hook it up in the back of the TV to the antenna and select channel 3 if I recall correctly.

Shit... we don’t even have antennas on TVs anymore... lol

They had to get rid of TV antennas dues to the aluminium foil shortage.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited May 2019
    Hey don't blame the death of MMORPGs on us. PC players killed the genre by not playing the big PC exclusive MMOs. If nothing, we have saved as many a title we could fit on our small boat!

We might be a lesser race but we have a strong community, peripherals, competitions, our own civil war, and we have been here for more than forty years! 

We got your back against our common enemy; the mobile gaming, the lesser lesser race! Death to the smartphones!!
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I started out with a Binatone TV Master, followed by a Sharp computer, as a kid back in the 70's.
    Have always had consoles and PCs ever since.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited May 2019
    Commodore 64 was my first purchase back in 1987. Then I got an NES a little later, maybe a couple of months. When consoles went to more than 4 buttons and a "D-Pad", they lost me. X-Box 360 was my final and last console purchase. I'm now a 99.99999% PC gamer, with Madden 10 now and then on my X-Box.

I'm unsure about this "console generation", myself...

PS: Going back even further, my Dad purchased a "Sears brand" pong console with 4 games (pong, tennis, hockey, and 1 other I don't recall) the Christmas of 1977. Then I had a couple of handhelds for different birthdays made by Colecovision. One was a football game with 6 red tiny lights depicting the players and arrows to move them about in set, predetermined places. I think the other was a baseball game, very similar.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I think the “console generation” is too busy having fun to care at all. They also didn’t infest “our” platform, it was the other way around. Might & Magic 3 and Populous wormed their way onto my Sega Genesis long, long before console ports to PC were a big thing. So PC games ruined consoles first I guess. Irony indeed!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Asheram
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer