Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Unscripted – Final Fantasy 7 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGaming Unscripted – Final Fantasy 7 - MMORPG.com

It has been twenty years since Final Fantasy 7 came out in the United States, and I was onboard and ready to ride from the beginning. Final Fantasy 7 is a role-playing game that captured the hearts of millions back when it launched. It was the first of its kind to have 3D modeled characters, and it had some very cool cut scene videos as well. Did you take part in the rise of Final Fantasy 7?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I remember my friend praising FF7 but I never played it. FF8 is my introduction to the series and my favourite, alongside with FFX.

Excited for the remake!
    infomatz
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Never much cared for FF after 6 (well other than XIV, but that's a different beast). I think it was all the excessive cut scenes, it just takes you out of the game too much.
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2019
    The new ff7 game isnt a remake its just nostalgia fueled story telling taking the story elements from ff7 and cutting alot of the grind. ill stil play it but it wont hold a candle to the original ff7

Id say its more a playable prequel to the film advent children

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I missed it on PS, but did pick it up when it was first released for the PC. It was awesome - had 3DFX support, Creative AWE support, and it was way better looking and sounding than the PS version.

It was fun in the day. I've tried to go back and play through a couple of times now over the years, but just can't get back into it again. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    I did not like what i saw back in the day so avoided 7 while buying pretty much every other FF game there was.
    fast forward many years,finally played it and like i figured,not that good.I feel FF3 is the best ever for it's time and FFX the best overall design/game experience in the series.FFXI obviously by far the best game Square has ever made up that point with arguments now from FFXIV.

Even the story behind the game is not very good.As to the mention of 3D haha,hardly noticeable improvements over the previous games.I never sat there thinking...omg these characters look great.
    At this point in time,i see the very realistic looking creatures and characters in Atlas,other games look weak in comparison.
    Should i get all nostalgic?LOL nope,the only reason this is being mentioned is this is all marketing to sell the revamped game.no thanks,not that good of a game.If i was going to replay old FF games i would choose 3,10 or 11.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    i beat this game many time
    LeFantome

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Best ff entry ever. The materia, and the ways you could potentially combine them, and into each item, Really made you able to customise characters and playstyles in ways we rarely see today. Had i been on my pc i would love to rant about why this is really an old master piece
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Also, why do i always have an alert/infraction when i so rarely post
  • Thawolf1Thawolf1 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Wizardry said:

I did not like what i saw back in the day so avoided 7 while buying pretty much every other FF game there was.

fast forward many years,finally played it and like i figured,not that good.I feel FF3 is the best ever for it's time and FFX the best overall design/game experience in the series.FFXI obviously by far the best game Square has ever made up that point with arguments now from FFXIV.

Even the story behind the game is not very good.As to the mention of 3D haha,hardly noticeable improvements over the previous games.I never sat there thinking...omg these characters look great.

At this point in time,i see the very realistic looking creatures and characters in Atlas,other games look weak in comparison.

Should i get all nostalgic?LOL nope,the only reason this is being mentioned is this is all marketing to sell the revamped game.no thanks,not that good of a game.If i was going to replay old FF games i would choose 3,10 or 11.

Just want to correct you, my article is not something assigned to me as a marketing ploy. This was the game I have played over the last two weeks. Every two weeks I write about another game and things about it. Whether it is a game that I played back in the day and a newer remake now. No one from any company has come to us or me to ask us to write these.

Thanks for your feedback though.
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Yeah. I played this game extensively when I was a teenager. It's probably the best Final Fantasy they've ever made to this day, even though the story of Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite story. I remember my dad had preordered the game for us from one of the stores that went on to become Gamestop, but was then referred to as Babbages...and they had a thing when if you preordered you got a tshirt with Cloud on it. Wish I still had the tshirt.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    FF7 and Tactics were about the only games I've ever wanted to complete. I loved them dearly!
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    ff7 is my all time favorite though there are others that I like just as much but in different ways. 9 was good, 10 was decent, liked 8. 13 wasn't as bad as people said but wasn't exactly memorable either. earlier ones were pretty solid as well but nothing stood out like 7 did to me.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    http://www.blackchocobo.com/
    This really improved my last playthrough of FF7 (on emulator, and yes I own a physical copy)
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Like I wrote in another thread, I own close to 40 FF titles and 7 wouldn’t make my top 3. It doesn’t mean 7 is bad at all, the music alone is breathtaking. I just think there are much better FF titles out there, noticably 6, 9 and 12. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• robertjohnsaprobertjohnsap Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    We have structured our sap course substance and prospectus dependent on understudies prerequisite to accomplish everybody's profession objective. In our sap preparing program, you will learn SAP Introduction and Architecture, SAP Appliance Model, SAP Studio Features, Reporting on with BI 4.0, Advanced Data Modeling with SQL Script, Data Provisioning in , Security and client the executives in , sap constant undertaking and sap accreditation position preparing.
    Visit For More Info:- https://sap-course1.cabanova.com/
  • MythlaMythla Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Well...its over 22 years old, actually. Not sure why this article frames it like this is the 20th anniversary.
    But 7 is, hands down, the best FF game. The only argument against it is, "Hur dur, everyone says it is the best game, so I must argue how much it sucks!"
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Mythla said:
    Well...its over 22 years old, actually. Not sure why this article frames it like this is the 20th anniversary.
    But 7 is, hands down, the best FF game. The only argument against it is, "Hur dur, everyone says it is the best game, so I must argue how much it sucks!"
    Or the inconsistent art style, the awkward pacing or average mini games. Glad you love it, I do too, but yours (and mine) is just an opinion amongst many.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer