Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2019 and the best things to happen to the MMORPG genre in years...

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
City of Heroes and World of Warcraft Classic.

That's where we are in 2019.

A game that was killed off and had private servers running in secret for years. Only to be made public with 4 servers that each hold 3k people and usually sporting 10k concurrent from what I can tell playing it. While Wildstar had a 5k peak when it went free2play.

Then we have the 800 lbs gorilla and people are loving it. Just look at twitch and youtube and people playing the game.  It's World of Warcraft the most popular MMORPG there ever was and what started it all is going to be official for all to play again.

I'm looking forward to playing both. A lot.

This is really the best news in a long while for me in the MMORPG genre.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Scot

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    They say you cant go home again, but in this case I think allot of people can.
    HarikenJeffSpicoli
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Nilden said:

A game that was killed off and had private servers running in secret for years. Only to be made public with 4 servers that each hold 3k people and usually sporting 10k concurrent from what I can tell playing it. While Wildstar had a 5k peak when it went free2play.

Then we have the 800 lbs gorilla and people are loving it. Just look at twitch and youtube and people playing the game.  It's World of Warcraft the most popular MMORPG there ever was and what started it all is going to be official for all to play again.

you excluded Anarchy Online 2019 server and EQ2 Kaladim
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    In before the "nostalgia" crowd starts raining on the parade. 
    ScotJeffSpicoli
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    City of Heroes was the biggest surprise. The Homecoming server is getting close to 70k players and seems to be not slowing down. Grouping in COH is amazing and so much fun that it's like a drug.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Nilden said:

Um the streamers aren't stupid... if people want to see Classic Beta, they'll stream the hell out of it so long as the donations continue to pour in.  This is a cash cow for them regardless of what they really think of the game.

Clever marketing strategy by Blizzard... limit the beta to mostly streamers and the masses are forced to watch the streamers.  Streamers make a mint from those desperate to get into beta and WoW Classic gets inflated hype... brilliant move by Blizzard.

It's like BfA all over again, but with a twist!
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    It would be cool if MMORPG.com could interview Cryptic Studios about their progress on the Magic the Gathering MMORPG. :)
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I'm not a naysayer, however, what happens when these "streamers" get bored? Look at Ninja and Apex. He was paid to stream at launch and after he left, the population folded.

Let's say WoW Classic becomes a monster. What message does that send to the current developers at Blizzard? Their game is so shit, that people would rather play a 15 year old game instead of yours?

I think no matter what happens, it will be a good thing. As in, it will effect retail in a positive way going forward.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    It points to a sad state in the genre when the best MMORPGs "launched" in 2019 are MMOs from a decade ago. Were old MMO's too ambitious or have players just come to accept a lesser version of the greats? A bit of both, graphically it would be prohibitive today to release MMOs with cutting edge graphics and that size and complexity. While players have conformed to the tiny/easy MMOs we have today.
    Yanocchi
    NorseGod said:

And my guess would be cataclysm.
    This seems to be the consensus. I think you're right.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    NorseGod said:
    I'm not a naysayer, however, what happens when these "streamers" get bored? Look at Ninja and Apex. He was paid to stream at launch and after he left, the population folded.

Let's say WoW Classic becomes a monster. What message does that send to the current developers at Blizzard? Their game is so shit, that people would rather play a 15 year old game instead of yours?

I think no matter what happens, it will be a good thing. As in, it will effect retail in a positive way going forward.
    It does not show that the game in its current state is shit at all.
    What it does show, is that enjoyment of a game, the fun you have while playing it, is a personal thing, and what one gamer enjoys and finds fun, another may not.
    So classic may well become very popular, and thousands of players might enjoy it, but the players that enjoy WoW in its current, BFA state, will still be playing it, having fun, and showing that to them, it is a good game.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    NorseGod said:

Talking from Blizzard's perspective:
    The people still play that "game of yours". It just shows that somewhere you made a mistake.

And my own personal guess would be cataclysm, the destruction of the world, the dumbing down the character development.
    If it was me, in case of a successful Classic servers, I'd go a different route. Different expansion and parallel story and everything. There's your chance to change the past and see what happens. 
    NorseGod
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Worst part of cataclysm was that after less than a week leveling up you were stuck doing the exact same thing you had been doing during wotlk for two years. The only good thing cataclysm did was making me quit the game for good.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited May 2019
    mmolou said:
    NorseGod said:

What it does show, is that enjoyment of a game, the fun you have while playing it, is a personal thing, and what one gamer enjoys and finds fun, another may not.
    So classic may well become very popular, and thousands of players might enjoy it, but the players that enjoy WoW in its current, BFA state, will still be playing it, having fun, and showing that to them, it is a good game.
    Then why is the population so low? Why did so many leave? Why are there so many threads about server merges and faction change?

Oh, you're saying because as long as one person is logging in to that one server, then BfA is "good". Mmm, ok. Or did you have a certain number in mind as a qualifier? Please share what that number is.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited May 2019
    Scot said:
    It points to a sad state in the genre when the best MMORPGs "launched" in 2019 are MMOs from a decade ago. Were old MMO's too ambitious or have players just come to accept a lesser version of the greats? A bit of both, graphically it would be prohibitive today to release MMOs with cutting edge graphics and that size and complexity. While players have conformed to the tiny/easy MMOs we have today.

That's so true. I wonder if we'll ever see an AAA MMORPG again where you can drop items on the ground or where items do not become bound to the character or account. In other words, a return to old school features that existed two decades ago.

Many modern MMORPGs are beautiful but they lack a "soul". Of course, a new generation of players may be unaware of the old games and maybe things are totally fine in their opinion.
    Amaranthar
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    NorseGod said:

When they get bored they will do exactly what they did with current WoW play it rarely and play other games. How many do you think are streaming current WoW vs classic?

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    NorseGod said:
    mmolou said:
    NorseGod said:

Then why is the population so low? Why did so many leave? Why are there so many threads about server merges and faction change?

Oh, you're saying because as long as one person is logging in to that one server, than BfA is "good". Mmm, ok. Or did you have a certain number in mind as a qualifier? Please share what that number is.
    May not be good to you, but yes, to that one person still logging in and playing and having fun, it is a good game.
    As for the rest of your post, obviously the players that left did so because it was no longer fun for them, they were not getting the same enjoyment out of it.
    But that still does not make it a shit game, just one those players no longer want to play for various reasons.
    As far as numbers go, the only numbers that really matter are numbers Blizzard care about, as long as they are making enough cash, for them, its all good. 
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    Nilden said:
    NorseGod said:

When they get bored they will do exactly what they did with current WoW play it rarely and play other games. How many do you think are streaming current WoW vs classic?
    No idea. IMO, basing a business model upon what streamers are doing in current week, is a bad idea.

I'm interested to see what happens. My guesses, are too weak to stand on. An educated guess is pointless, as nothing in this world makes sense anymore. lol

I will be following what happens between launch and the end of the year. I'm so curious right now.
    Mendel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    mmolou said:
    NorseGod said:

The message i get is that "we already moved on" but we are willing to go back if it makes us money.

Epic games shut down Paragon and turned FN into a SIMPLE BR game,why?Well because it makes money,NONE of these developers have a clue what they are doing with gaming,they jump on bandwagons,they see money they go for it.

So it says the bigger problem is the gamer's,too many gamer's have real low standards so the market is not being forced to improve.Vanilla Wow,current Wow,if i had to vote vanilla was obviously better but taking crap and making it a slight bit better is still crap.Wow is NOT a good RPG or a good MMO,it does neither well.Blizzard has to understand "immersion" first before anything and so far i get the indication they have no clue at all what it is.
    How can a game make multiple millions pretending to be a rpg and not have housing or somewhere for the characters to live,it is pathetic to see developer make a mockery of the rpg genre.
    What they did to nerf pets is laughable,automated warping to dungeons for loot,this developer has no clue what it is doing in game design.Then again BDO is in the same boat and got loads of praise for being a garbage mmo+rpg.
    There is soooooooooooooo much wrong in the mmorpg genre it is going to take a combined  effort of more intelligent gamer's and better developers,that is a very tall order to ask for,good luck moving forward.
    mmolou

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Well consider me a downpour

Seriously let's circle back 6 months post WoW classic launch to see how much of a parade is left?

The thing about nostalgia is that it's based on emotional response - so it's hard for an individual experiencing nostalgia to realize that they are driven by nostalgia until it's over.

It will be fun to read those "best thing ever" threads thr first week, followed by - well "that didnt last nearly as long as I thought" rose tinted glass fade out threads weeks later.
    What amusing with people like you is that you seem to rejoice if it's going to fail. All your post, and those of your likes, seem to be so damned happy to predict the failure of a game quite a few people seem to enjoy.

Seriously... find a better hobby, you'll be happier.
    WoW Classic has been a controversial topic for a long time now, even years before its announcement. It is pretty normal for people to have different opinions and predictions about it. I see your emotional response is as more of a confirmation of @DMKano prediction more than anything else. 

I'm no fan of people who prefer a game crashes and burn for them just to be right (Star Citizen got a huge club of that). But I really don't see Kano as the type. He had this prediction since the conversation regarding WoW vanilla began, he's persistent on his opinion. Doesn't mean he enjoys other people's joy being crushed or anything. 

I for one prefer WoW Classic to becomes a success. The joy that it brings to its fans is one of them. But I seriously doubt if it would run for long for the very same reasons that Kano has stated. And also my own personal experience. I was there. I had grinded PvP to the max, cleared all raids before nerfs, been among top 10 guilds worldwide, farmed Thorium Brotherhood and Darkmoon Faire when it was nearly impossible. Went through hell and back to recruit and keep up the roster for not one but two 40-man raids, leveled professions on 10 toons, and so on. All of that was a majestic experience back then. I just don't see the current world of gamers (yours truly included) to be up for those tedious and long tasks. And if they nerf all those away, there's no point in calling it a Classic anymore. 

I'd still hope it would be successful and you'd enjoy for a long time mate. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'll believe the "miracle" if these classic servers are still financially viable by the end of 2019... :wink:
    Mendel
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Well consider me a downpour

Seriously let's circle back 6 months post WoW classic launch to see how much of a parade is left?

The thing about nostalgia is that it's based on emotional response - so it's hard for an individual experiencing nostalgia to realize that they are driven by nostalgia until it's over.

It will be fun to read those "best thing ever" threads thr first week, followed by - well "that didnt last nearly as long as I thought" rose tinted glass fade out threads weeks later.
    What amusing with people like you is that you seem to rejoice if it's going to fail. In all your post, and those of your likes, you seem to be so damned happy to predict the failure of a game quite a few people seem to enjoy.

Seriously... find a better hobby, you'll be happier.
    Do you read his posts?
    You couldn't be farther from the truth.
    [Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Why shouldn't they ?
    If I was marketing director of Blizzard and I could see that there are plenty of cows
    out there looking to be milked, I would publish again Orcs & Humans >:)
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I see your emotional response is as more of a confirmation of @DMKano prediction more than anything else. 
    Emotional? Jeez you have no idea.
    And that sentence doesn't make any sense.

What I'm talking about is just about common respect between mature adults enjoying different forms of entertainment. And I think it's pathetic that for something as futile as a video game, you have people who are like "see, it's going to fail, and then I'm going to say "told you so"".
    Yeah, I agree that you didn't seem emotional or anything like that.
    Just wrong about the guy in question. In fact, it seems to me that you are guilty of the same thing CM was here, simply making a bad judgement about a poster.
    That's not the end of the world, in any case.

Once upon a time....

I'll believe the "miracle" if these classic servers are still financially viable by the end of 2019... :wink:
    I'm pretty curious to see what happens and what it will all mean, either way.
    Mendel
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So what about the people doing this for the fourth or fifth time around? I played on Kronos and Nostalrius. The only reason I stopped is because official servers are coming. I love classic WoW and can't wait.

What exactly is going to compete with this? Is anything else in the MMORPG genre even coming out in 2019?

I think they are poised to have lightning strike twice.

There is no real competition. The game play is top notch and there is actual challenge and the game design encourages people to socialize. Which builds community. You know that thing that went under the bus for convenience... oh and no cash shop crap.

I don't want to do LFD where no one talks and you move forward AOE pulling everything on autopilot.

Give me classic any day. Can not wait.