Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2019 and the best things to happen to the MMORPG genre in years...

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    In before the "nostalgia" crowd starts raining on the parade. 

Well consider me a downpour

Seriously let's circle back 6 months post WoW classic launch to see how much of a parade is left?

The thing about nostalgia is that it's based on emotional response - so it's hard for an individual experiencing nostalgia to realize that they are driven by nostalgia until it's over.

It will be fun to read those "best thing ever" threads thr first week, followed by - well "that didnt last nearly as long as I thought" rose tinted glass fade out threads weeks later.
    What amusing with people like you is that you seem to rejoice if it's going to fail. All your post, and those of your likes, seem to be so damned happy to predict the failure of a game quite a few people seem to enjoy.

Seriously... find a better hobby, you'll be happier.
    WoW Classic has been a controversial topic for a long time now, even years before its announcement. It is pretty normal for people to have different opinions and predictions about it. I see your emotional response is as more of a confirmation of @DMKano prediction more than anything else. 

I'm no fan of people who prefer a game crashes and burn for them just to be right (Star Citizen got a huge club of that). But I really don't see Kano as the type. He had this prediction since the conversation regarding WoW vanilla began, he's persistent on his opinion. Doesn't mean he enjoys other people's joy being crushed or anything. 

I for one prefer WoW Classic to becomes a success. The joy that it brings to its fans is one of them. But I seriously doubt if it would run for long for the very same reasons that Kano has stated. And also my own personal experience. I was there. I had grinded PvP to the max, cleared all raids before nerfs, been among top 10 guilds worldwide, farmed Thorium Brotherhood and Darkmoon Faire when it was nearly impossible. Went through hell and back to recruit and keep up the roster for not one but two 40-man raids, leveled professions on 10 toons, and so on. All of that was a majestic experience back then. I just don't see the current world of gamers (yours truly included) to be up for those tedious and long tasks. And if they nerf all those away, there's no point in calling it a Classic anymore. 

I'd still hope it would be successful and you'd enjoy for a long time mate. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,174
    edited May 25
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Seriously let's circle back 6 months post WoW classic launch to see how much of a parade is left?

The thing about nostalgia is that it's based on emotional response - so it's hard for an individual experiencing nostalgia to realize that they are driven by nostalgia until it's over.

It will be fun to read those "best thing ever" threads thr first week, followed by - well "that didnt last nearly as long as I thought" rose tinted glass fade out threads weeks later.
    What amusing with people like you is that you seem to rejoice if it's going to fail. In all your post, and those of your likes, you seem to be so damned happy to predict the failure of a game quite a few people seem to enjoy.

Haha you assume that I am not happy? :)

I find zero rejoicing in the fact that this will happen, its not like I am all "yes cant wait to see players disappointed again by how short lived their WoW classic run was" - quite the opposite.

I am simply stating that it will happen as has happened every time before.

It's an interesting thing with humanity in general, repeating the same patterns over and over throughout history and then being surprised by the same results.

Like people stating how they will play WoW classics for a long time... when in reality this is the least likely outcome - especially looking at how short lived all other relaunches have been.

Is it too hard for people to be realistic and say that - yes I will have fun again, but also setting realistic expectations that it will be much shorter lived and not quite as fun as first time around?

When I played vanilla WoW - what made it really special that it was all new to me and all other players at launch. The playerbase at launch and the newness of it all cannot be replicated- and this is a huge factor to thar feeling of excitement and fun.

The 2nd time around - all things are known, there is no mystery or exploration as it's all been done before - so obviously that alone will be a huge dampener on fun potential. 

When people remember WoW classic they tap into that emotional memory where it all felt new and awesome,  but the 2nd time around while still fun it wont match the emotional highs of how it was in 2004 so people will feel a bit underwhelmed from the start - as again it's not the same as they remember it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,910
    I'll believe the "miracle" if these classic servers are still financially viable by the end of 2019... :wink:
    Mendel
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member RarePosts: 3,414
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

What amusing with people like you is that you seem to rejoice if it's going to fail. In all your post, and those of your likes, you seem to be so damned happy to predict the failure of a game quite a few people seem to enjoy.

Do you read his posts?
    You couldn't be farther from the truth.
    DMKano

Once upon a time....

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,045
    edited May 25
    I see your emotional response is as more of a confirmation of @DMKano prediction more than anything else. 
    Emotional? Jeez you have no idea.
    And that sentence doesn't make any sense.

What I'm talking about is just about common respect between mature adults enjoying different forms of entertainment. And I think it's pathetic that for something as futile as a video game, you have people who are like "see, it's going to fail, and then I'm going to say "told you so"".
    I guess the attitude is not surprising though. It's everywhere, not just in video games. People are ready to ruin other people's enjoyment (or worse) just for the sake of being right.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Why shouldn't they ?
    If I was marketing director of Blizzard and I could see that there are plenty of cows
    out there looking to be milked, I would publish again Orcs & Humans >:)

"If men are stronger than women, then why do male characters
     need full plate armor, while women only need a chainmail bikini"

I see your emotional response is as more of a confirmation of @DMKano prediction more than anything else. 

What I'm talking about is just about common respect between mature adults enjoying different forms of entertainment. And I think it's pathetic that for something as futile as a video game, you have people who are like "see, it's going to fail, and then I'm going to say "told you so"".
    Yeah, I agree that you didn't seem emotional or anything like that.
    Just wrong about the guy in question. In fact, it seems to me that you are guilty of the same thing CM was here, simply making a bad judgement about a poster.
    That's not the end of the world, in any case.

Once upon a time....

• NorseGodNorseGod Member RarePosts: 2,227
    I'll believe the "miracle" if these classic servers are still financially viable by the end of 2019... :wink:
    I'm pretty curious to see what happens and what it will all mean, either way.
    Mendel
    Come home, North Man.

Rolling for Spicy.

Yeah, I agree that you didn't seem emotional or anything like that.
    Just wrong about the guy in question. In fact, it seems to me that you are guilty of the same thing CM was here, simply making a bad judgement about a poster.
    That's not the end of the world, in any case.
    If you are right, I apologize as I usually do, but I'm a bit sick of all the posters bashing "WoW classic" recently, and definitely, clearly, without doubt wishing that it fails and rejoicing about it.

There's two threads just in the pub... what the hell are you guys doing in life to need that kind of crap ?
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

I guess the attitude is not surprising though. It's everywhere, not just in video games. People are ready to ruin other people's enjoyment (or worse) just for the sake of being right.

Does stating realistic observation about how relaunches are shorter lived is some kind of an intention to ruin other people's fun?

I mean people create their own fun when they play games, and nothing anyone says on forums should have ANY impact what happens when people are logged in and playing.

If my post "ruins" anyone's fun in game - that is a failure of the person playing not my post.

Nobody has the power to ruin someone in-game experience by something said on forums, that is just taking all responsibility from a person playing and putting into a forum posters hands - and that is not how it happens at all.

When I play a game and have fun, what anyone says on forums means diddly poo to me.

So equally what I say on forums should have zero impact on someone else's fun in game.
    ConstantineMerusMendel
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,897
    So what about the people doing this for the fourth or fifth time around? I played on Kronos and Nostalrius. The only reason I stopped is because official servers are coming. I love classic WoW and can't wait.

What exactly is going to compete with this? Is anything else in the MMORPG genre even coming out in 2019?

I think they are poised to have lightning strike twice.

There is no real competition. The game play is top notch and there is actual challenge and the game design encourages people to socialize. Which builds community. You know that thing that went under the bus for convenience... oh and no cash shop crap.

I don't want to do LFD where no one talks and you move forward AOE pulling everything on autopilot.

Give me classic any day. Can not wait.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

My bad, just in a bad mood possibly. Sorry for that.
    ConstantineMerusDMKanoAmaranthar

edited May 25
    Nilden said:
    So what about the people doing this for the fourth or fifth time around? I played on Kronos and Nostalrius. The only reason I stopped is because official servers are coming. I love classic WoW and can't wait.

What exactly is going to compete with this? Is anything else in the MMORPG genre even coming out in 2019?

I think they are poised to have lightning strike twice.

There is no real competition. The game play is top notch and there is actual challenge and the game design encourages people to socialize. Which builds community. You know that thing that went under the bus for convenience... oh and no cash shop crap.

I don't want to do LFD where no one talks and you move forward AOE pulling everything on autopilot.

Give me classic any day. Can not wait.

Oh I totally get that - I played project 99 for years.

So that was like playing EQ1 vanilla for the 10th time as I kept coming back to P99 over and over again.

You know why it worked for me - hardcore fan of Vanilla EQ1 - but P99 was never the same as what I experienced back in March of 1999 when I first played EQ1 - nothing has ever matched that feeling and I know that nothing ever will. I have accepted that.

This is why it will work for you and others who are hardcore fans of vanilla WoW.

But harcore fans who will stick with WoW classic for years are going to be a small minority. 

You might be part of that minority and there's nothing wrong with that 

But dont expect this to be the norm for the masses.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    My bad, just in a bad mood possibly. Sorry for that.
    He who admits that he was wrong and apologizes is a bigger man than Ron Jeremy. 

True story!
    DMKano
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,993
    edited May 25
    I'm just going to quote this to laugh at it later.

See you all in Classic!

You stay sassy!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,543
    I've liking City if heroes still
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Will vanilla WoW have content updates? If not, that's going to be an issue later on, in my opinion.

Once upon a time....

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,277
    I think a better time for evaluation will be in the second half of 2020.  WoWC might be a financial hit in 2019, only for people to move onto something else in 2020.  Give the people a chance to build up that 'deja vu' feeling, and they're likely to remember why they left WoW in the first place.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.