Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is going on with Ashes

jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

TL;DW
Mat Broome (Lead Character Artist) was let go
Intrepid didn't follow up on their monthly newsletter promise
Staff Page still reflects only 44 employees
Apparently things that are said don't count if they unsay them later

KyleranSlapshot1188stratelusOctagon7711JamesGoblinAmatheGaladournMadFrenchie

Comments

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Just calm down. Indie companies don't operate as big ones do.
    Which is a good and a bad thing.
    Good because having control of your own game makes you deliver what you were dreaming of, and bad because time will always be against you.
    I haven't backed up this game but i'm definitely waiting for it.
    So take your time, go out, enjoy life and take a break from it.

5Trooperjimmy123
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

Arterius said:
    I don't know but I got a refund through Paypal... So I essentially backed for free right now because they still have the money I gave them. So it doesn't count as a refund on there end. So whatever happens I am excited. I am hoping it makes though. I really want to test Alpha stage. I just don't know whats going on now that they canceled there battle royale (though that was a good thing) 
    Tbh if they were keeping BR still running I would be very concerned abt the MMO.

GdemamiScot5Trooper
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

Arterius said:
    Erevus said:
    Arterius said:
    I don't know but I got a refund through Paypal... So I essentially backed for free right now because they still have the money I gave them. So it doesn't count as a refund on there end. So whatever happens I am excited. I am hoping it makes though. I really want to test Alpha stage. I just don't know whats going on now that they canceled there battle royale (though that was a good thing) 
    Tbh if they were keeping BR still running I would be very concerned abt the MMO.

Thats actually the reason I got a refund at all. Is because it was at the height of the BR with the Battle Pass and everything and they were doubling down on it at the time. Otherwise I never ask for refunds on games I help kickstart. That seemed like a kick in the nuts though. Like they were pulling a Fortnite with Save The World
    That's what everyone was thinking !
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Did they officially cancel the BR? It just seemed to fade away rather than a by formal announcement. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Kyleran said:
    Did they officially cancel the BR? It just seemed to fade away rather than a by formal announcement. 
    It is due to come back...

Soon™
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    Ashes combat went from looking like something it could potentially morph into something quite interesting and good and turned into some 3rd person over the shoulder camera horse shit looking combat.  They put this into their "BR" and don't think it turned out as good as they hoped. 
    Ashes combat went from looking like something it could potentially morph into something quite interesting and good and turned into some 3rd person over the shoulder camera horse shit looking combat.  They put this into their "BR" and don't think it turned out as good as they hoped. 

The camera isn't like that for the MMORPG, or at least its not suppossed to be. We have footage of the camera shift from the BR mode/style camera to the MMORPG mode/style.  Its been posted a few times on the official discord.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited May 2019
    I have to say I stopped following this game even though I am a backer. They have gone miles from the direction they set out with. Lots of people have said much the same. They have added so many different types of PvP that world PvP will be watered down. They are even trying to go in a new direction to keep the vocial ones happy and at the same time trying to keep old promises. Like trying to have action based skills and tab targeting skills on the same char so you can pick your play style. Like thats going to make tab target play even be something fun in that mix. IMO, they are breaking their game every step they take. Ashes now is not the game they painted a picture of when they pitched it. They have not stuck to any vision. 
    AmatheCatibrie
  • ghrendel7ghrendel7 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    i think it died when they decided to dedicate time to a BR instead of using that time on the actual mmo. a lot of faith gets lost when you advertise an rpgmmo, then out of the blue put out a BR and try to get money through it.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188Lighttip
    Hey, they just released another new dev blog, pretty exciting stuff no?

;)
    NanfoodleJamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    Hey, they just released another new dev blog, pretty exciting stuff no?

;)
    18 months
    KyleranJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I wouldn't mind if they ditched the action combat part entirely and simply focused on well-designed tab-target combat.
    NanfoodleOctagon7711
    Galadourn said:
    I wouldn't mind if they ditched the action combat part entirely and simply focused on well-designed tab-target combat.
    I’d agree but think that is very unlikely.  If anything I’d see them going with all action combat(but think that’s unlikely as well)

Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Galadourn said:
    I’d agree but think that is very unlikely.  If anything I’d see them going with all action combat(but think that’s unlikely as well)

Its funny too since this game is pretty much inspired by archeage and what that game 'could have been' which had/has really good tab-target combat.
    Albatroes said:
    Galadourn said:

Its funny too since this game is pretty much inspired by archeage and what that game 'could have been' which had/has really good tab-target combat.
    Action target plays better as a Battle Royale :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    jahlon said:
    Kyleran said:

Soon™
    So this played out like Voxel in CoE? Someone at the top has a "great idea", the team spend ages on it when they could be delivering the game people put in money for and then they drop the idea.

Here is a prediction, no matter these examples of what has happened when you start these side projects we will see this again in gaming CF, maybe even in these two again. People never learn and that truism works in MMO development as much as any other field I can think of.
    Gdemami
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Scot said:
    jahlon said:
    Kyleran said:

Soon™
    So this played out like Voxel in CoE? Someone at the top has a "great idea", the team spend ages on it when they could be delivering the game people put in money for and then they drop the idea.

Here is a prediction, no matter these examples of what has happened when you start these side projects we will see this again in gaming CF, maybe even in these two again. People never learn and that truism works in MMO development as much as any other field I can think of.
    I think Steven (the guy running the show) is a little A.D.D. and has a hard time following a direction. I think he is a great dreamer but someone else should be at the helm. They need to go back to the vision they sold us all on. 
    GdemamiScotCatibrie
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Arterius said:
    If you refund and win the claim, paypal send you the money and take it from the seller with a fee.

Galadourn said:

The plan, if they can't get the action combat to work out properly is to do tab combat.   
    Galadourn
    jahlon said:
    Galadourn said:

The plan, if they can't get the action combat to work out properly is to do tab combat.   
    Was that plan announced before or after the Battle Royale?

jahlon said:
    Galadourn said:

I can confirm after.

I want to say I had that discussion with him before BR, like all the way back in Dec 17 / Jan 18, but a lot of discord channels were prunned

So I can only hard confirm it after BR

KyleranGaladourn
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:
    Galadourn said:

I can confirm after.

I want to say I had that discussion with him before BR, like all the way back in Dec 17 / Jan 18, but a lot of discord channels were prunned

Hearing this just makes me think they've pretty much gotten no where.
    KyleranGdemami
    Albatroes said:
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:
    Galadourn said:

I can confirm after.

Hearing this just makes me think they've pretty much gotten no where.
    The wheels did appear to come off around the end of 2018, about the time the BR launched and then quickly tanked.

For most of 2019, especially the past 3 months they've gone mostly dark, with the only info being their dev blogs on various game designs. (With no actual in game demonstration of said features.)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    So that's two rethinks then, BR and action combat, what's that six months development, a year?
    Scot said:
    So that's two rethinks then, BR and action combat, what's that six months development, a year?
    18 more months?
    JamesGoblin