Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Your Launchers Are Belong to Us. GoG's Galaxy Combines All Libraries Into One - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    Xarko said:
    Xarko said:

Elthium said:

I really wish both Epic and GOG would add the "2 hour return" policy that Steam has. Bit of a deal breaker for me.

OR you could do a basic fucking research about the game you are interested in.
    People who bought No Mans Sky, Fallout 76 and countless other Bombs at LAUNCH would disagree. Or are you suggesting noone should buy a game until a week after launch in which case i salute your patience & will power to the Hobby. 
    Disagree with what? That there is enough information about games to decide whether you actually like them or not before you buy them?
    the fact people who bought both No Mans Sky and Fallout 76 did their homework before launch, they researched the hell out of those 2 games and like many other titles that came before it and will come after they simply did not deliver on what was promised. 

As a consumer why would you be anti refund ? I cant wrap my brain around that one.....

Having a refund policy puts the power in the consumers hands. It demands developers put out a high quality product or suffer the consequences of mass returns
    zacho56
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    Stizzled said:
    Yeah, this seems super pointless. You still need all the different launchers installed to buy new games, install and uninstall. The only benefit I really see is a unified friends list, of course,I already have that with Discord. Meh.

Can't blame GOG for trying to get some good press out of the war between EGS and Steam. Epic is doing everything it can to piss Valve off, and getting completely ignored. It makes sense for another company to swoop in and pretend to be the good guys.
    About as pointless as being able to watch lots of channels on a TV right? We should have one TV  SUBSCRIPTION for Netflix; one TV SUBSCRIPTION for HBO, one TV  SUBSCRIPTION for Hulu ....
    Um, we have that now......It's essentially what "cutting the cord" is.... 
    Is it? I thought it was called sarcasm.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Xarko said:
    Xarko said:

Elthium said:

I really wish both Epic and GOG would add the "2 hour return" policy that Steam has. Bit of a deal breaker for me.

People who bought No Mans Sky, Fallout 76 and countless other Bombs at LAUNCH would disagree. Or are you suggesting noone should buy a game until a week after launch in which case i salute your patience & will power to the Hobby. 
    Disagree with what? That there is enough information about games to decide whether you actually like them or not before you buy them?
    the fact people who bought both No Mans Sky and Fallout 76 did their homework before launch, they researched the hell out of those 2 games and like many other titles that came before it and will come after they simply did not deliver on what was promised. 

As a consumer why would you be anti refund ? I cant wrap my brain around that one.....

Having a refund policy puts the power in the consumers hands. It demands developers put out a high quality product or suffer the consequences of mass returns
    Who said I'm anti refund? I'm just saying it's easily avoided. I never refunded a game in my life. Also using 76 as an example really isn't helping your case though. Everyone could see that one from a mile away.

2 hour refund is a great feature of Steam and I think it would be awesome for others to have it as well, but it being a deal breaker for someone says things about that person.
    BaalzharonGdemami
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Very nice indeed.
    I wonder how they are going to pull it off technically, and also legally..I am sure those big money playforms wont just let them take their lucrative business.
    Also, the promise of data protection is ...raises questions, how? what exactly ?
    Xarko
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Elthium said:
    I’ve got amazing news for you, Epic has the same return policy as Steam has with a 2 hour return. See you at the Epic Store!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFordMadFrenchiemoshragervaise1
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

saw that .. not interested

Be...cause why? It seems the perfect solution for all the kvetching about multiple launchers. GoG is highly respected so this seems pretty intriguing. I'd love to hear what makes it uninteresting to you?

does that mean i only need gog on my PC?
    That's the impression I got. 

Someone had to.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

edited May 2019
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Elthium said:
    I’ve got amazing news for you, Epic has the same return policy as Steam has with a 2 hour return. See you at the Epic Store!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Actually Steam offers 4 hours of playtime and both Steam and GoG will refund games that won't work on your system. 

This is okay I guess. Lutris is a more unified launcher and much cooler. In addition to various Windows store vendors like Steam and GoG it can install games and runners for many console systems. For Steam and GoG it can download and install the games for you. For the various other platforms you need to have the ROM or game package. In any event you need to own the game. It doesn't find and download games you don't own. It just helps you install, manage, and acts as a launcher (if you want).

I'd rather they followed through on their promised intention of providing a native Linux client with cloud saves and auto updates before they added new shiny PR features. I'm still not buying any games from them until then.
    Since when does Steam offer 4 hours? According to their own refund policy it is still 2 hours.

Lutris definitely sounds awesome though, I’ll check it out.

Edit. I just looked at Lutris, it looks sweet but is specifically for Linux. A shame.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchie

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    yeah, but who's gonna make a launcher for my launchers launcher?
  • skakrukskakruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    so corsairs april joke is now a product? Nice.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    So it's kind of like the game launcher launcher that Corsair announced as an April Fools' Day joke, except that it actually exists?
    MadFrenchie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126

Elthium said:

You do know that GOG gives you the game DRM free, like you can use if forever even if they shut down. A 5 minute return policy would be bad for them. Also GOG has given away some free copies of games if you owned them on STEAM, no need to re-buy. I own a ton on STEAM and would hate for it to go out of business, but I own my GOG games.
    Torval said:
    This GameSpot interview with GoG is very informative. 

A few highlights paraphrased:
    = They don't like exclusivity which inspired the idea.
    = They're not a data company - they're aren't going harvest, sell, or share data
    = They are considering opening the source
    = They're interested in collaboration between publishers and platforms and also users
    = They feel the gamer has been sidelined somewhat and they feel that's the wrong approach - They're trying to build bridges not build walls.

I found the original article on this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bsjv6d/gog_is_saying_they_want_to_make_the_whole_galaxy/

Signed up for their Beta, if what they are hinting at is actually true this could be amazing and well beyond any import feature a platform like Steam is offering. Can’t wait to toy around with it, this has the potential to be a complete game changer.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Useless middleware for the lazy and uninformed.
    goboygo said:
    Useless middleware for the lazy and uninformed.
    Like your opinion? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    edited May 2019
    Xarko said:

Elthium said:

Really? So test driving a car should be out of the question too? Samples at your local grocery store? Or what about any return policy a store might have? You can read all you want, but until you actual do something first hand, you never know. Sampling before commiting is a great thing. Why do you think most sub based mmo's give trials. 

I applaud this practice especially with how game launches been (Inquistor u bugger!)

Before you come back with, there not the same. Sure they are, the only difference with steam is they want to know you have the money to buy it, and not just freeloading a million games for 2 hours. So you place a "deposit". Im sure the guys at your local car dealer would rather see whats in your wallet before they let you test it. 

EDIT: Why curse on top of being negative? I know the internet is free game, but have some self respect.
    LiljnaGdemami
    edited May 2019
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

= They're not a data company - they're aren't going harvest, sell, or share data
    = They're interested in collaboration between publishers and platforms and also users
    = They feel the gamer has been sidelined somewhat and they feel that's the wrong approach - They're trying to build bridges not build walls.

I found the original article on this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bsjv6d/gog_is_saying_they_want_to_make_the_whole_galaxy/

Signed up for their Beta, if what they are hinting at is actually true this could be amazing and well beyond any import feature a platform like Steam is offering. Can’t wait to toy around with it, this has the potential to be a complete game changer.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    How would it be more amazing and well beyond any import feature? 

Steam doesn't import games either. Users can create launch shortcuts in Steam for non-Steam games but that just like having Windows create a launcher shortcut. What you can leverage Steam for is applying SteamPlay Proton for games that won't launch or run well on your native OS. And to be specific, you don't need Steam installed to leverage Proton.

The important part about that interview, to me, isn't about technology features, but their attitude that Epic's blatant disregard for the consumer experience goes directly against their philosophy. Buying up exclusives (and exclusives period) goes contrary to their philosophy. These things are what prompted them to come up with Galaxy 2.0. This is a response to Epic's poor attitude towards gamers. They feel industry success comes from a positive relationship with gamers not bending them over and telling them how to take it. That is why they're promoting interop - to connect gamers no matter what walled garden they're playing in (PlayStation, Epic, Nintendo, Xbox, Windows, Steam, etc.).

This is exciting to me because if they do open the source it will stop locking out Linux users and allow our community to build the tools to work for us too. We're pretty good about that. The most frustrating things are software walls that are put into place explicitly to keep us out.
    For one, being able to install anything from any launcher through the GoG client is quite a big deal, as is combining friends lists and chats. As far as I can tell their sorting and organising tools are also well beyond that of other platforms. This client lets you build one big, interactive library of all your digital games and friends, I think that isn’t anything to scoff at. I am just curious how far they are taking this.

I won’t get into the whole Epic and exclusivity debate here since it has already taken over many other threads. I do however know that 100s of classic PC games are only available through GoG and not other digital stores.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    "All your launchers are belong to us." 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    How would it be more aismazing and well beyond any import feature? 

Steam doesn't import games either. Users can create launch shortcuts in Steam for non-Steam games but that just like having Windows create a launcher shortcut. What you can leverage Steam for is applying SteamPlay Proton for games that won't launch or run well on your native OS. And to be specific, you don't need Steam installed to leverage Proton.

The important part about that interview, to me, isn't about technology features, but their attitude that Epic's blatant disregard for the consumer experience goes directly against their philosophy. Buying up exclusives (and exclusives period) goes contrary to their philosophy. These things are what prompted them to come up with Galaxy 2.0. This is a response to Epic's poor attitude towards gamers. They feel industry success comes from a positive relationship with gamers not bending them over and telling them how to take it. That is why they're promoting interop - to connect gamers no matter what walled garden they're playing in (PlayStation, Epic, Nintendo, Xbox, Windows, Steam, etc.).

This is exciting to me because if they do open the source it will stop locking out Linux users and allow our community to build the tools to work for us too. We're pretty good about that. The most frustrating things are software walls that are put into place explicitly to keep us out.
    For one, being able to install anything from any launcher through the GoG client is quite a big deal, as is combining friends lists and chats. As far as I can tell their sorting and organising tools are also well beyond that of other platforms. This client lets you build one big, interactive library of all your digital games and friends, I think that isn’t anything to scoff at. I am just curious how far they are taking this.

I won’t get into the whole Epic and exclusivity debate here since it has already taken over many other threads. I do however know that 100s of classic PC games are only available through GoG and not other digital stores.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It won't be able to install any game from any launcher. It will be able to install games from some connected launchers and integrate a cross platform friends/chat list to help gamers connect better. Discord can already do this to an extend and provides their own very limited store front. The difference I see is GoG's commitment to the user and vision for a more cooperative, less adversarial future.

Which brings us back to Epic. This entire situation was generated in response to Epic's user hostile corporate first attitude. It's right in the video and they says so, if you watch it. You don't want to get into that because what is there to get into? I'm not making claims. This is GoG making them. I just happen to agree with them on this one point and their desire for a better solution. You think they're wrong feel to point out how and where and ask them to defend it. They feel Epic is acting poorly and this is their response. This software is exactly because of Epic and the industry move towards a more adversarial relationship with their customers.
    I am not getting into that because there are enough “boooo Epic” threads out there. I would rather have this thread to focus on the actual GoG Galaxy product instead of getting sidetracked into back and forth bickering about the Evil that is or isn’t the Epic Store. Just a thought however, this evil company is a great marketing ploy and convenience for GoG to show that they are the “good guys.”

And I don’t know how far Galaxy will go to build one giant library across every digital outlet, that is why I said I am curious to see where they are taking this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    How would it be more aismazing and well beyond any import feature? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It won't be able to install any game from any launcher. It will be able to install games from some connected launchers and integrate a cross platform friends/chat list to help gamers connect better. Discord can already do this to an extend and provides their own very limited store front. The difference I see is GoG's commitment to the user and vision for a more cooperative, less adversarial future.

Which brings us back to Epic. This entire situation was generated in response to Epic's user hostile corporate first attitude. It's right in the video and they says so, if you watch it. You don't want to get into that because what is there to get into? I'm not making claims. This is GoG making them. I just happen to agree with them on this one point and their desire for a better solution. You think they're wrong feel to point out how and where and ask them to defend it. They feel Epic is acting poorly and this is their response. This software is exactly because of Epic and the industry move towards a more adversarial relationship with their customers.
    I am not getting into that because there are enough “boooo Epic” threads out there. I would rather have this thread to focus on the actual GoG Galaxy product instead of getting sidetracked into back and forth bickering about the Evil that is or isn’t the Epic Store. Just a thought however, this evil company is a great marketing ploy and convenience for GoG to show that they are the “good guys.”

And I don’t know how far Galaxy will go to build one giant library across every digital outlet, that is why I said I am curious to see where they are taking this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    This adversarial action by Epic is overblown, which is part of the reason why this GoG project likely won't reach anything other than a niche audience.