Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCity of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 2 - MMORPG.com

Last week we covered the game’s original five Archetypes and today we’re continuing this guide series with a look at the Archetypes introduced with the expansion City of Villains in 2005.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Betcha can't find Sentinel.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

that because is added after COH shutdown but is Blaster powersets with scrapper secondary sets.
    [Deleted User]wingood
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Warlyx said:

that because is added after COH shutdown but is Blaster powersets with scrapper secondary sets.

I'll probably mention them in next week's guide.
    Blaze_Rocker[Deleted User]wingood
  • Rajani_IsaRajani_Isa Member UncommonPosts: 8
    One thing you might have wanted to mention is that, conceptually (originally at least) it was Stalkers filled the blaster role (burst damage), brutes scrappers, and MM the rank role.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

One thing you might have wanted to mention is that, conceptually (originally at least) it was Stalkers filled the blaster role (burst damage), brutes scrappers, and MM the rank role.

I always considered the Stalkers to fill the Schlock! role, Brutes the Kerpow! role and MMs the Muwahahaha!
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    edited May 2019
    Uh-huh, this pretty much confirms my suspicions that the devs loved villains more than heroes, and CoV should have been a separate game. Archetype after archetype, it's "this is like X hero archetype, maybe a little less of the basic quality but WITH THIS REALLY COOL FEATURE THAT MAKES IT SO MUCH BETTER!!!!"

Doubts?

How about this: 1) Corruptor vs Defender: "Frankly, I don’t see much reason to roll a Defender with Corruptors in the game..."

2) Stalker vs Scrapper: "The Stalker can enter “Hide” mode and always lands critical hits while in this mode. It also has access to an ‘Assassin’s Strike’ power that deals tremendous damage to its target when executed from Hide. Enemies who survive an AS from Hide may end up Terrorized, making it harder for them to retaliate for a while. ... Paragon made significant changes over time to improve the Stalker...it can function perfectly fine outside of Hide. It’s squishier... but it feels much more intuitive to play ... a great choice for both team and solo play."

3) Dominator vs Controller: "The Dominator is the Controller’s more aggressive cousin... The Dominator’s base crowd control capabilities are not as potent as a Controller’s, but this can be matched or even exceeded when in Domination. .... it’s possible to achieve what is known as “Permadom” status and basically have Domination up all the time. Dominators are incredibly fun to play and work great in both solo and team play without Permadom, but for players who take things that far, the Dominator can often feel like a walking god."

4) Brute vs Tank: "At zero Fury, the Brute deals the same damage as a Tanker, ... [and] the Tanker will still be tougher by default [but] The Brute’s defensive potential is high with buffs, [plus] ...at higher levels of Fury, the Brute will exceed the damage of a Scrapper, ...the Brute also has the highest damage cap in the game, so it can also be buffed .... to bring its damage capabilities to dizzying levels. The Brute also has higher base HP than a Scrapper and Tanker caps for defense and damage resist. Keep in mind these are caps and not base values."

5) Mastermind vs... Oh yeah, no hero archetype with pets! Well, there were some Controller "pet" options, but fire imps and such just weren't quite the same. Meanwhile, "The Mastermind is, in my opinion, the ultimate MMO pet class. Some wonky AI issues aside, the Mastermind is a pet class lover’s dream" and again, good for both soloing and groups.

I've always said that CoH started going off the rails when they got away from the original "all players are heroes who work together" although it was a long time before one thing after another added up. Introducing hero vs hero PvP brought in balancing issues that watered down the distinctions between the archetypes.

CoV catered to people who WANTED to play VILLAINS... frankly I think that is just plain wrong. And yet it still didn't satisfy a lot, as the devs didn't dare make the actual play as villainous as many wanted -- I think some wouldn't have been happy until they were virtually slaughtering and raping women and children, or at least overrunning Paragon City, destroying everything, and murdering all the heroes. At any rate, whatever it may have added to the player base (temporarily) in total numbers, it divided it up and spread it out. With serious PvP between heroes and villains, there was also a lot of bad feelings generated.

Catering to those who rushed through the levels to the cap and then got bored led to adding more high-level zones, adding more space to spread out players, and they had limited access points, too, adding to the isolation of the groups that accessed them.

Architect was the final blow -- suddenly groups of players were forming their own little cliques and disappearing from the game into their own little worlds, splitting up and spreading out the base even more.

Oh, sorry, got going and got carried away.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Controller "pet" options, but fire imps and such just weren't quite the same.

WHAT  fire controller with fire imps were the most op class in the game....
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Mike! Or someone Mike-like!

I seek advice. I played CoH long ago, and fell in love with my Energy Blast - Energy Manipulation Blaster. It was very fragile, but the sheer joy I got from all the knock-backs, knock-ups, and knock-downs made it impossible to play anything else without dreaming of switching back to my Blaster.

If I start playing again, I won't really have time to try a bunch of things and find the best version of that. So, would you suggest I do the same thing again, or seeing what I loved about the character, would you suggest I try to build it in a different way to get a better version of the same style, like with a Corrupter, or a Sentinel, or a Peacekeeper, or still a Blaster but with one different power set?

Thoughts from more experienced heroes and villains would be appreciated!
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited May 2019

Halibrand said:

Mike! Or someone Mike-like!

I seek advice. I played CoH long ago, and fell in love with my Energy Blast - Energy Manipulation Blaster. It was very fragile, but the sheer joy I got from all the knock-backs, knock-ups, and knock-downs made it impossible to play anything else without dreaming of switching back to my Blaster.

If I start playing again, I won't really have time to try a bunch of things and find the best version of that. So, would you suggest I do the same thing again, or seeing what I loved about the character, would you suggest I try to build it in a different way to get a better version of the same style, like with a Corrupter, or a Sentinel, or a Peacekeeper, or still a Blaster but with one different power set?

Thoughts from more experienced heroes and villains would be appreciated!

As long as you don't plan on grouping! Knockback tends to annoy people as it knocks things out of AoEs, anchors, and forces melee characters to chase them down, etc. There is an IO Set called Sudden Acceleration (on servers running i25 code) where you can get a Knockback to Knockdown enhancement to mitigate this issue. Alternatively, you can hover above your enemies to knock them down instead of away, but this can be tricky.

If you'd rather play solo, the Sentinel might be something worth trying. It's got the melee Archetype defenses sets as its secondary, so you'd be able to knock things around while not being as squishy.

Or...if you really want to dial up the chaos, you could try an Energy/Storm Summoning Corruptor. Between the energy blasts, hurricane, tornados, lightning storms, and Gale, you'll definitely be knocking everything around with that pairing. Just don't invite me to a team! LOL.
    HalibrandDavodtheTuttwingood
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Controller "pet" options, but fire imps and such just weren't quite the same.

WHAT  fire controller with fire imps were the most op class in the game....
    Well, if POWER is all you care about, I suppose, but as far as being PETS, they aren't even comparable to the Mastermind's pets.