Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apex Legends Revenue Tumbles Nearly 75% Since February - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageApex Legends Revenue Tumbles Nearly 75% Since February - MMORPG.com

SuperData Research has published its latest report on the top grossing titles for April 2019. For the first time since its debut in February, Apex Legends has dropped out of the top ten on both PC and console. The game brought home $24M in April, "down significantly for the second month in a row". Earnings are only a quarter of those raked in by Apex Legends in February when it generated $92M.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

MadFrenchieHatefull

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    BR games only have a short lifespan?

Who'd have guessed.
    ScotonelesslightArskaaagastovski1darkopexinfomatz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Look at those revenue figures and then come and tell me mobile has no effect on gameplay, content, revenue methods or anything else on PC and console. Well posters used to...now not so much.
    RexKushmanobiigastovski1
  • RobWhiteRobWhite Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited May 2019

DAOWAce said:

Who'd have guessed.

Nope, only Fortnite killers have a short lifespan.
    Kyleran
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Good. The game sucks.

Now give us a proper Titanfall 3.
    Hatefullinfomatz
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    The game was fun, actually. They just had nothing to keep players hooked. They do have an unlock system, but the only way to unlock anything is to purchase a loot crate (and the crate's content usually sucked).
    TacticalZombeh
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It reminds me of WoW. Everyone's chasing Fortnite the same way they chased WoW.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User][Deleted User]SeelinnikoiAmathemaskedweaselAlexander.BMadFrenchieAlbatroesHatefulland 9 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    edited May 2019
    I played Apex for a few weeks beginning a few days after release & had spurts of fun.  It definitely seemed there was some cheating happening pretty widely.  After about a week of noticing that more & more I ceased playing.  I really was impressed & enjoyed the map, but there's only 1 map.  I'm sure I just didn't figure it out, but I could only do the tutorial & practice solo with 1 character which I think is a miss-step, not the characters you have to pay for though just the free characters.  I'm not much into battle-royale (BR) games though so I didn't feel like I was missing-out on a lot.  Still I had some fun & was impressed with many aspects of it.  I never bought anything though, I usually don't on PvP games & since I suspected cheating I didn't here neither.
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited May 2019
    I played briefly around launch time because it was free - not a BR fan. The game impressed me with tight, responsive play and great control schemes (the ease of pinging and easy to use nonverbal communication tools). Could go on in specifics, but I thought they did a great job of improving on the BR genre over Fortnite in general. I suspected cheating as well, but there are so many folks that are very good at FPS that I figured it was my lack of skill more than anything..until I saw those initial ban figures =/

What it doesn't have is the constant change that is - IMO - one of the important contributors to Fortnite's dominance. Fortnite's map changes, constant additions to skins/wraps, arsenal adjustments, and a crazy-never-know-what's-happening-next narrative (which is story in a very LOOSE sense of the word) is what help keep it fresh.

The copycat thing always happens. Some things just have the right ingredients at the right time - TV shows "Friends" and "Seinfeld" for instance. People try to chase that winning formula, but it's never the same as the original.
    gervaise1
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    EA is chasing after the next thing a tad too late.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    What level of confidence do I place in this estimate? Its Superdata so ......

If correct though - and EA's next quarterly results will probably give us a much better idea - will EA be happy if it keeps bringing in a mere $24M a year? Indies certainly would.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

RobWhite said:

DAOWAce said:

Who'd have guessed.

and funny its not fortinete who is bringing the most revenue, and that knifes out is IOS only, not adroid so it could be even higher, so yeah fortnite is not the top dog
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I think people will realize this game is exactly what they want and will start spending a lot of money on it again and playing it exclusively. They just need to put on their rose tinted glasses.

That is me doing my best reverse impression of a market mastermind on mmorpg.com talking about WoW Classic.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Im amazed Fortnite has done as well as it has...The BR games are just short term appeal.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited May 2019
    uhhh it duplicated posts and I can't delete one?
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited May 2019
    It's funny cause the people I know that play Apex all say the same thing. Update the game, it's all they have to do yet they refuse to think they need to. The attitude is killing their own game heh.

RobWhite said:

DAOWAce said:

Who'd have guessed.

and funny its not fortinete who is bringing the most revenue, and that knifes out is IOS only, not adroid so it could be even higher, so yeah fortnite is not the top dog
    Please read the below statement on the graph. Fortnite is measured IOS only. It's way beyond in total.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Died because of no new content, shit microtrans solutions ( hybrid of all modules ) and a veeeery anti climatic season pass. They where not expecting and was not ready for the success they got with apex, think they cashed in quite nicely on it though
    [Deleted User]
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    edited May 2019
    I'm not surprised, they never fixed random crashes, loading screen bug and other issues. Can't even play it anymore and I tried everything.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    And like the MMOs that came after Wow, these companies don't understand the basics of what made Wow and Fortnite a success, and can't or don't bring the same quality, care, and attention to detail.
    crunch culture?
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its so funny everyone was so into this game. Now just 3 months later look what happened. I said this would happen back when the game came out but i gave 6 months.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Yeah sure it's content issue... in BR genre it's all about the streamers. If the top streamers are playing the game all the kids will follow it's that simple. In other genres it wouldn't work, but in BR where 90% of the playerbase are kids or grown ups with the thinking of a 12 year old streamers are the most important part. If they pay streamers to focus on the game again they will definitely get back to where they were, but I doubt that most streamers would do it for anything else other than an astronomical number.

Personally I believe that Apex Legends is many times better than Fortnite. I don't really play BR's myself, but just from how fluid the gameplay is I prefer it over Fortnite. Of course my 7 year old nephew doesn't agree with me and thinks that that rainbow vomit of a game is more fun... cause of colors :)
    FacelessSaviorwonkerz
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I think it's pretty silly, and very negative to the user, to expect constant success from a single title. We all see how television series that stay on the air too long end up. Im surprised they made $92 mil. For a ftp title with no hype, thats amazing. No surprise that the shine would wear off quickly. Its normal imo, even for good games. I dont think Fortnite did or is doing anything different to keep their success, its just luck, like wow. They got lucky to be the first big thing of its type. Not the first, but the first do get it right at the right time, and lucky enough to stay cool, because more people care about what's cool and popular than what’s fun.
    [Deleted User]GorweGobstopper3Dinfomatz

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 489
    HELL YEAH!! TIME TO CELEBRATE!! OPEN BAR ON ME!!
    KyleranScot
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    75%. That's a bad day at the track. 
    Hatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

What's sad is Fornite was originally being developed to be a totally different game than what it is now.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Well, this and PUBG have both declined, they aren't listed in top 10 of revenue across any platforms, where they both stood for a while. 

I just find it interesting that so many developers want to chase a genre instead of being unique. 

Granted Fortnite wasn't the first in the BR genre, just as LoL and WoW weren't the first, but they are the standards that other companies are trying to emulate, and if the past is any indicator, we've never seen that really work for long term success.