Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Your Launchers Are Belong to Us. GoG's Galaxy Combines All Libraries Into One - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAll Your Launchers Are Belong to Us. GoG's Galaxy Combines All Libraries Into One - MMORPG.com News

As the internet tussle between Steam and the Epic Games Store rages on, GoG's Galaxy 2.0 aims to be something of a bridge over troubled water. Galaxy 2.0 will allow its users to "combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms," the official announcement reads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Now this is what we're talkin' about, amiright? :)
    TillerMadFrenchieIlayaSabracPalebaneinfomatz[Deleted User]bobbymcswansonfoppotee[Deleted User]and 7 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    saw that .. not interested
    IlayavelimiriusJeffSpicoli
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    does that mean i only need gog on my PC?

*keeps dreaming*
    JeffSpicoli

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2019
    Scorchien said:
    Be...cause why? It seems the perfect solution for all the kvetching about multiple launchers. GoG is highly respected so this seems pretty intriguing. I'd love to hear what makes it uninteresting to you?

That's the impression I got. 

rojoArcueidinfomatzbobbymcswansonfoppotee[Deleted User]Shaihuby

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Doesn't Discord already do something like as well? I know that I can launch my Steam games from the Discord library and my Discord Activity feed is populated with content from Steam. In fairness, I don't see the ability to link to an Epic account so maybe this is where GoG sets itself apart.

It's neat they are working on this, but it sort of reminds of the proliferation of IM clients back in the day. Each would handle things a bit different, then you would have any number of IM clients (like ICQ for example) which supported multiple protocols in an effort to consolidate things.
    Mendel

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:
    Be...cause why? It seems the perfect solution for all the kvetching about multiple launchers. GoG is highly respected so this seems pretty intriguing. I'd love to hear what makes it uninteresting to you?

Discord already does that , im in touch with all my friends it shows me what they are playing , i can instantly chat with them , as does Steam and Battlenet ... dont need another , and have no need for GoG
    SBFordJeffSpicoli
  • sjorandsunsjorandsun Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:

Unless, I'm missing something, a couple glaring Reasons:

1) You will still need to download and actively purchase games on multiple launchers. Unless I'm missing something, it's not like you can purchase Epic exclusive games solely on GoG without having the Epic launcher for example.

2) Said launchers will more then likely have to be active & logged into, in order to be able to play the respective game the launcher belongs to. Which means you're still having those active in the background.

It's not so much even a solution, as it is a convenience birthed as a byproduct of us having to DL & shop on multiple launchers. It's more like "Hey you are GOING to have to use multiple launchers, but while we can't do anything about it, hopefully we can make using multiple launchers a little easier.

It doesn't solve the problem of having to DL & use multiple launchers, it just organizes the mess created because of that problem.

SBFord
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Would be cool if it worked but it sounds like 'games' are simply going to be tiles and you still need accounts / clients for Steam / Epic / etc. installed to actually play the games... which isn't entirely unexpected (Value / Epic aren't just going to let third parties by-pass their DRM / spyware).

One interesting thing I noticed is that they plan to include consoles, and 'community intergrations', so presumably GoG Galaxy will work with any platform that provides an API... I wonder if they plan to do plugins / custom pages and launchers (e.g. would be neat to have a custom FFXIV page with links / views to the Lodestone).
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I just want one good MMORPG with it's own launcher. All of these stupid badges, constant news, cross-promotion sass, etc etc etc etc is annoying.
    Asm0deus
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Dauzqul said:

I just want one good MMORPG with it's own launcher. All of these stupid badges, constant news, cross-promotion sass, etc etc etc etc is annoying.

Achievement Earned: Meta Disdain

Claim you seek a single game with a good launcher and that you're above silly platforms such as steam and epic.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

You definitely still need the other launchers unless gog plans on cracking other launchers' drm. It's a launcher that launches other launchers to run the game. The multi IM could be interesting as the multi ims currently available could be better and tend to have issues that crop up with some protocols.
  • J_JonesJ_Jones Member UncommonPosts: 27
    They just answered my prayers!
    JeffSpicoli
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    F L O P
  • RobWhiteRobWhite Member UncommonPosts: 26

*keeps dreaming*

No. You need to have Steam, GOG and other launchers installed on your PC.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Its a step in the right direction and at least shows G.O.G. 's commitment to the Fans/Customers unlike the Epic shysters . Still though, at the end of the day, I have 12 different launchers each with their own payment processing, exclusives and various V.I.P Subscription based services to play early, Orgin I'm looking at you.

FYI you can already do this on Steam minus the friends list & achievement tracking. You can launch 3rd party games from your steam library and i believe friends will see what you are playing. For example i have World of Warcraft in my steam library and launch it from there which pulls up the blizzard launcher, I believe it shows to my friends "playing world of warcraft" but dont quote me on that.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    you can add non steam game easily to steam so why bother,if you still need other launches installed i see no point.
    RexKushmanJeffSpicoli
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Stizzled said:
    Yeah, this seems super pointless. You still need all the different launchers installed to buy new games, install and uninstall. The only benefit I really see is a unified friends list, of course,I already have that with Discord. Meh.

Can't blame GOG for trying to get some good press out of the war between EGS and Steam. Epic is doing everything it can to piss Valve off, and getting completely ignored. It makes sense for another company to swoop in and pretend to be the good guys.
    About as pointless as being able to watch lots of channels on a TV right? We should have one TV for Netflix; one TV for HBO, one TV for Hulu ....
    sschrupp
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Dauzqul said:
    FFXIV has its own launcher (just don't buy the Steam version), and while it displays news it's just the latest events and announcements (which is kind of useful) ... how much more bare bones are you looking for?
    gervaise1 said:
    Stizzled said:
    Yeah, this seems super pointless. You still need all the different launchers installed to buy new games, install and uninstall. The only benefit I really see is a unified friends list, of course,I already have that with Discord. Meh.

Can't blame GOG for trying to get some good press out of the war between EGS and Steam. Epic is doing everything it can to piss Valve off, and getting completely ignored. It makes sense for another company to swoop in and pretend to be the good guys.
    About as pointless as being able to watch lots of channels on a TV right? We should have one TV  SUBSCRIPTION for Netflix; one TV SUBSCRIPTION for HBO, one TV  SUBSCRIPTION for Hulu ....
    Um, we have that now......It's essentially what "cutting the cord" is.... 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I really wish both Epic and GOG would add the "2 hour return" policy that Steam has. Bit of a deal breaker for me.
    XarkoJeffSpicoliGdemami
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Elthium said:

I really wish both Epic and GOG would add the "2 hour return" policy that Steam has. Bit of a deal breaker for me.

OR you could do a basic fucking research about the game you are interested in.
    JeffSpicoliOzmodanBaalzharon
    edited May 2019
    Xarko said:

Elthium said:

People who bought No Mans Sky, Fallout 76 and countless other Bombs at LAUNCH would disagree. Or are you suggesting noone should buy a game until a week after launch in which case i salute your patience & will power to the Hobby. 
    Xarkozacho56Baalzharonbartoni33Gdemami
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited May 2019
    Xarko said:

Elthium said:

People who bought No Mans Sky, Fallout 76 and countless other Bombs at LAUNCH would disagree. Or are you suggesting noone should buy a game until a week after launch in which case i salute your patience & will power to the Hobby. 
    Disagree with what? That there is enough information about games to decide whether you actually like them or not before you buy them? Of course there is, that's why those game "bombed".
    Baalzharon