Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall – A New Dawn

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCrowfall – A New Dawn

Crowfall and get the scoop on what backers can expect over the next month or so of development. Better graphics, new worlds, and even more have Red excited.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Vaporware galore ?
    CaffynatedGdemami

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Last time I logged in, which has been at least a year or so, it was legit and running. Its just all (or was) all PVP and very multiplayer centric, definately not a solo act, even crafting. Software is legit though, not in fact vaporware. Just to me it was a very meh experience when I checked it out. Maybe its better now...but I would definately say its not vap-ware, as pretty much everything implemented worked.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinHatefull

~I am Many~

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Yeah, that comment made absolutely no sense.  They've got a playable product, even if it's not up to launch standard yet.

Vaporware...   I'm not sure the dude would pass a Turing test. =/
    HatefullTacticalZombeh
  • tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Gotta be a troll.
    Hatefull
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited May 2019
    4 years ... just now a"new dawn" ? Not getting that title..
    AAA MMO development tends towards 5-7 years. It's just that most don't announce until a couple years or less till launch. Kickstarter MMOs don't have that luxury, and the big mistake most of them have made are completely ridiculous 2-3 year develop estimates during their kickstarter campaign that are realistic for regular games, but wildly unfeasible for the average MMO.

For comparison, the annual Call of Duty has a 3 year average development cycle, for a team of a couple hundred developers, and there will be crunch.
    JamesGoblinHatefullMauroDiogo

New lighting effects was one of the major improvements that I talked about. Plus, a new server type that will never die like the Dying Worlds has been stood up (a la the Summer Lands from mythology)
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblin

Aeander said:

AAA MMO development tends towards 5-7 years. It's just that most don't announce until a couple years or less till launch. Kickstarter MMOs don't have that luxury, and the big mistake most of them have made are completely ridiculous 2-3 year develop estimates during their kickstarter campaign that are realistic for regular games, but wildly unfeasible for the average MMO.

For comparison, the annual Call of Duty has a 3 year average development cycle, for a team of a couple hundred developers, and there will be crunch.

Except SOE's Vanguard. That game was virtually built ground up in about a year by a team of total newbs. =)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I have to applaud you for declaring an interest, streamers should take note, that's what you should do. We have three indie MMOs which need to be a success for the sake of the genre this is one of them. But will they be, only a real launch will tell us that.
    [Deleted User]Red_Thomas
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I always hope for a successful launch for every/any MMORPG! The more there are the more options I have!

I get a group PVP itch every once in a while.

Gut Out!
    HatefullScot

What, me worry?

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Here I was enjoying the fact that it's possible for a small collective to outsmart and beat a larger zerg faction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hatefull
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Generating worlds is not new and to me it is not good because there is no immersion in the world,it looks and feels like a computer program rather than a world.

This is a real good reason why i don't like developers using any form of the letters RPG.
    This is a game that is trying to utilize two aspects that are safe bets to generate profits via the cash shop.Building and pvp.
    IDK the final idea behind the cost to play but i am guessing,some sort of season pass+cash shop.

The game will not do ANY of the rpg aspects well,the building is a huge second fiddle to survival game building,there will be no water voyages,no ship building.Is there an eco system,i highly doubt it.So what is left..>>.pvp,nothing new there and to me,i don't even like pvp in ANY form of rpg gameplay,even within the survival game i play,it is NO pvp,build anywhere i want,sails the seas,fire cannons at pirate ships,discover treasure ,gather tons of cool pets etc etc.
    I simply do not see Crowfall coming close to the $30 game i already play and will likely cost the players a lot more than $30 every month..2/3/4/5/6 months?I don't pay anymore,i do not have a cash shop either and my game play and world change all the time but my efforts do not go wasted or restart ..per se.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    I'll care when it's actually released. Back it .. 5 years ago? I don't even know anymore.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited May 2019
    Aeander said:

my mind is blow , really , I never thought to think a mmo takes so long to make, I am so glad you clarified that for me since I never played an mmo before. I'm so greatful for your insight into the industry[, because I would have never thought about that with a subsciption to P.C. gamer and next generation magazines over the past 20+ years. 

So awesone, abd to think, when a develoiper is at a 4 year mark, it is common to title that moment as a"New Dawn". Thank you asgain, and you will be sorely missed in the block list.
    Your reaction is both unwarranted and baffling.

Is someone having a bad day?
    Red_ThomasLeirosHatefullTacticalZombehUneecorn
    Scot said:
    I have to applaud you for declaring an interest, streamers should take note, that's what you should do. We have three indie MMOs which need to be a success for the sake of the genre this is one of them. But will they be, only a real launch will tell us that.
    Thanks.  I try to call out bias where I know it exists.  I don't think it keeps me from being mostly objective, but I think the disclosure is important.

lol  Of course, I get accused of bias every time I compliment a game someone doesn't like anyway, so I guess you could pretty much just always assume bias and be safe.  =P
    Wizardry said:
    I simply do not see Crowfall coming close to the $30 game i already play and will likely cost the players a lot more than $30 every month..2/3/4/5/6 months?I don't pay anymore,i do not have a cash shop either and my game play and world change all the time but my efforts do not go wasted or restart ..per se.
    Just out of curiosity, did you play Minecraft or any of the other survival games?   I think that's where a lot of my own excitement comes from.  I like having persistence in a game, and I get that appeal.  The down side is that the really cool stories like EVE's Fountain War and stuff like that only happens every few years.  A system like this encourages conflict, which is usually the catalyst for those cool stories.

I get what you're saying about RPG.  I don't think they mean it in the sense that you do.   For instance, the faction vs faction stuff, alliances and betrayals...  All the drama that can only come from human conflict.  I guess it's not totally roleplay because it's built on real people rather than a provided story/environment, but I also think it's fair to think of it as that.   Totally get where you're coming from on that front, but I also think it's fair to let other folks have their version of RP, even if it's not really your thing.
    JamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
    I'll care when it's actually released. Back it .. 5 years ago? I don't even know anymore.

Welcome to : the Fifth year : New Dawn// makes perfect sense ... 
    Maybe I meant it in the Star Citizen sense.  =P
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited May 2019
    Doubters doubt and naysayers say nay, but this game is going to be the next big thing in MMO gaming.

You don't like PVP ? Tough Noogies. There is the door leading out. --->
    There are millions of gamers playing PVP games right now.

You are not needed.

The PUBG and FORTNIGHT and MINECRAFT gamers are going to be looking for a deeper gaming experience once it is available. Artcraft need only capture a small, tiny even, percentage of those gamers.

No matter how much you say you don't want Crowfall to be a PVP game it will remain a PVP game.

It is EVE meets WOW. And like EVE it is built on PVP at it's very core.

I could tell you you can play a non PVP role, but you don't want to hear that. You want to complain until they change the game more to your liking.

Go look at modern WOW to see how that turned out.

I applaud the Crowfall developers for sticking to their design concepts.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Someone is having a moment (another)...

JamesGoblin
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MauroDiogoMauroDiogo Member UncommonPosts: 53

Aeander said:

On top of this it's also worth mentioning that ACE has always been VERY transparent about the state of the game, where they WILL BE at and how much progress they've made to get there.
    Unlike a lot of other games where they show a semi-working product, promises of what it will be like and then leave the middle for our minds to fill up and the project eventually fails.

As someone who's been very very excited about Crowfall since it's announcement (I don't even tend to focus on PVP in my MMOs!), I can't wait to see how the game keeps on developing! :D
    JamesGoblin
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    this game just looks like a pvp arena game with a bigger arena of samey same cookie cutter tile based world. Doesn't have the depth from what I can see to be what i think of as a real mmo. DOAC, shadowbane, even darkfall had at least had a decent bit of pve mixed in. I need both in a good mmo and dont care for half ass randomly generated worlds.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Aeander said:

On top of this it's also worth mentioning that ACE has always been VERY transparent about the state of the game, where they WILL BE at and how much progress they've made to get there.

Unlike a lot of other games where they show a semi-working product, promises of what it will be like and then leave the middle for our minds to fill up and the project eventually fails.

As someone who's been very very excited about Crowfall since it's announcement (I don't even tend to focus on PVP in my MMOs!), I can't wait to see how the game keeps on developing! :D

What are they working on now and how long till it is ready? What are their plans 1 month, 6 month, 1 year from now? Not sure what you consider transparent but they aren't really showing other companies how to do it better. Same old hype machine style. They give info when stuff is about to be or is releasing to test server. They might give updates on certain things vaguely here and there but few and far between. Still lots of features unknown and little details given. They clearly aren't too transparent internally as they though alpha, beta, and launch were already going to happen months/years ago.
    JamesGoblinGdemami
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    They've been very transparent with CrowFall.  Absolutely anyone at all can buy access for $50 to see what they've got.  There isn't an NDA, so even if you don't want to pay for access yourself, you can ask others who have.  Or watch videos, read forums, or whatever.

For their Kickstarter backers, they promised that at this pledge level, you'd get into this alpha or that beta or whatever.  Then they ended up giving all of them access long before the game entered alpha, probably to compensate for the game being delayed.

The reason why they haven't announced when things are going to happen in the future is that they don't know.  Programming projects tend to take longer than you expect.  If you want a game to actually be good rather than merely check off some list of promised features without caring if they're implemented terribly, then you'll have to redo a lot of things when it becomes clear that one thing or another was a mistake.  That adds delays.

Maybe the game will eventually be good, or maybe it won't.  Right now it isn't, as it's still in pre-alpha, so a lot of stuff is incomplete.  But every game was in such a state at some point in its development, whether or not it eventually became good.
    JamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Allein said:

Aeander said:

What are they working on now and how long till it is ready? What are their plans 1 month, 6 month, 1 year from now? Not sure what you consider transparent but they aren't really showing other companies how to do it better. Same old hype machine style. They give info when stuff is about to be or is releasing to test server. They might give updates on certain things vaguely here and there but few and far between. Still lots of features unknown and little details given. They clearly aren't too transparent internally as they though alpha, beta, and launch were already going to happen months/years ago.

They practically invented the mantra, 18 more months.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinGdemamiPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

<snip>
    Except SOE's Vanguard. That game was virtually built ground up in about a year by a team of total newbs. =) 

If only SoE had developed Vanguard your example might have merit. 

Games can be developed quicker - up to a point. Basically you just need a bigger team. Your spend rate will go up and from a certain point your total cost will increase for - lots of reasons to do with efficiency. The burn rate will also be higher as well.

Crowdfunded projects are less likely to have the money to burn through. They are already saddled with the inefficiency / expense of having to show progress /operate the game before its ready etc. so they probably have less leeway when it comes to running a high burnrate. 

Big companies throw idea around. And we very rarely see the time and money they spend on "development projects". By the time they announce something they will have had a small team working for a while on it.

Activision Blizzard spent a reported $50M and some years tossing around ideas for a WoW successor. They cancelled the work but - reportedly - Overwatch came out of it. So how long did Overwatch take to develop.

Or Carbine - spent 2 years working up their ideas for Wildstar - before agreeing a price with NCSoft. The fact it took another 7 years isn't the points, the question is do the 2 years count?

Which is not to give crowdfunded projects a pass. Simply pointing out that everything is visible pretty much. (And they don't have the infastructure either on day 1.)

JamesGoblin
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    edited May 2019
    Crowfall is a frustrating, grind mess at the moment. The devs are not listening and are driving the testers away in droves. Until further notice, I wouldn't give these folks your money. I know if I could get a refund, I would.