Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raiding in Classic, who's in?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
edited May 2019 in World of Warcraft
I recalled Blizzard saying only 10% of the playerbase ever raided and I am sure those who even got to Naxx much less finished it before BC launched are very few.

So this time around for those intending to play, will you be raiding?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Raiding in WOW Classic, are you in?
  1. How often will you be raiding? (Days of the week)43 votes
    1. Every darn night till Naxx goes down (6-7)
        4.65%
    2. Most of the time (4-5)
        6.98%
    3. Fairly often, but I have a life (2-3)
      30.23%
    4. Infrequent, maybe with a PUG (1 or lessl
      16.28%
    5. Nah, we pawned Naxx the first time around, why bother?
        4.65%
    6. I thought they were serving donuts (show results)
      37.21%
Scot

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    *raises hand*

I did raid a lot in Classic until we got Nef down. Then gradually lost interest and never really got to see much of AQ40 or Naxx.

That being said, I'm planning on raiding in Classic in order to finally at least see those raids I missed at the start. Of course, playing retri is not gonna help much, but you never know!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No raids or dungeons at all tbh, one of the things i want to do is have another go at playing a hunter again without doing a single quest, no heirlooms or gear that isn't readily available from the vendors, its going to be epic! ;)
    GaladournKyleranXarko[Deleted User]
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I was a hardcore raider back in the day and would love to try the 40 man raids again. Working through BWL was some of the best fun I've had in online gaming.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited May 2019
    if i play classic , prolly pug , or joing my guild raid from time to time , nowadays i dont have the time to sit for 4h (because raiding in classic is moving 40 players )

xxx: Summon please
    warlock1 : 1 min farming shards
    warlock 2: flying there
    warlock 3: no shards ><
    warlock 4 never existed (locks were rare on classic for tons of reasons i mained one tho from classic to Ulduar )

Galadourn said:
    *raises hand*

I did raid a lot in Classic until we got Nef down. Then gradually lost interest and never really got to see much of AQ40 or Naxx.

That being said, I'm planning on raiding in Classic in order to finally at least see those raids I missed at the start. Of course, playing retri is not gonna help much, but you never know!
    GL findng a spot as ret....if nowadays is hard back then it was impossible , the only melee spots were for rogues/warrior/ shaman (just 1 to give windfury) , and thats it.

melees were good because they didnt used mana , (remember using wand on Seal of wisdom to restore mana?)

No feral , no retri , no DK/Monk/DH of course lol
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    edited May 2019
    Let us in! Let us in! Let us in! Let us in! Let us in! Let us in! Let us in! Let us in!

I'm going to be a Spirit Priest. Horde preferably...so you can scratch off a healer spot.
    Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Good luck beating Naxx this time mate. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    It would be fun to play with people from here, under our MMORPG screenames although i would have to stop changing mine :(

But to you answer your question @Kyleran I intend to play the classic reboot exactly as i played  original classic . I will take my time and play for a couple hours at night. When i hit max lvl is when i hit max level and when i do i will join a casual raiding guild thats pinnacle of progression will probably be the third or fourth boss of ZG and i will love every minute of it.

I'll probably stop to admire & gawk at the no lifers who have full tier 2 MC gear and shoot the shit with them via whispers to talk about builds the same way i did in classic. 
    Kyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I didn’t raid that much in Vanilla. But we did manage to down Ragnaros, Onyxia and Hakkar in one of the guilds I was in.

Raiding will be my main focus in Classic.
    Kyleran
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I am running a guild that will be raiding for classic.   We just will not be rushing to end game to raid.  
    Kyleran
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
     full tier 2 MC gear
    What the hell is tier 2 MC gear ?
    Sorry its only been like , i dont know 14 years

[Deleted User]KyleranMrMelGibsonAxxar
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Arterius said:
    I have never raided in any MMO I would love to do it but will probably wait for Pantheon:ROTF to come out before I do. I am just too busy working from home, spending time with family, and playing other games at the moment. I only get 2 hours to play a MMO a night. Sometimes 3 and I heard raids can last all night. 
    Old school MC raids could take quite a while, especially when everyone was still gearing up.  Just a ton of trash mobs to fight thru at every step of the way.

[Deleted User]Hatefull

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Arterius said:
    I have never raided in any MMO I would love to do it but will probably wait for Pantheon:ROTF to come out before I do. I am just too busy working from home, spending time with family, and playing other games at the moment. I only get 2 hours to play a MMO a night. Sometimes 3 and I heard raids can last all night. 
    Some guilds out there will have a casual raid schedule like mine.  We will be raiding 2 days a week 2.5 hours at most per raid day.   We can do this because we will expect the people who raid to either show up prepared to raid or we will replace them.  We do not have time for players to spend an hour getting ready to raid.  All of us have families and real lives that we cant push the raid scene like we use to.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    So, you're sayin there aren't any doughnuts?
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Didn't exactly pwn Naxx, but made it that far. Still remember vanilla raiding vividly and the things that go with it. So no, not even if you pay me to do it.
    KyleranHatefull
    Xarko said:
    Didn't exactly pwn Naxx, but made it that far. Still remember vanilla raiding vividly and the things that go with it. So no, not even if you pay me to do it.
    Yep, I never made it to Naxx, falling short at the Twin Emps. 

As a healer it was a demanding experience which beat out of me any desire to raid ever again, at least not on a 5 or 6 night a week basis. 

Ultimately I really don't enjoy scripted "Dance with the Stars" game play any more.

MrMelGibsonXarko

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Raiding is hell. I was a raid main healer. I don't want to do that any more. I will do dungeons but no raids for me.
    Hatefull
    Chamber of Chains
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited May 2019
    I'm not sure if I'll raid. Maybe every now and then to fill in, in whatever guild I'm in. I definitely won't be on a raid schedule ever again. If I stick around past the honeymoon phase. It will be most likely to PvP a bit.
    MadFrenchie
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:
    I recalled Blizzard saying only 10% of the playerbase ever raided and I am sure those who even got to Naxx much less finished it before BC launched are very few.

So this time around for those intending to play, will you be raiding?
    Naxx was released too late in the expansion... it went live June 2006 and TBC went live January 2007.  Sun Well was also released too late in the TBC expansion.

We cleared AQ 40 and just cleared the 4 Horsemen in Naxx when everyone decided to chill and prepare for TBC.

10% isn't a bad number in retrospect... it means 90% found everything else fulfilling enough.

Compare that to retail and it's the other way around... which is a pretty bleak picture of the game as a whole.  Might as well just have raids and nothing else.
    Axxar
    edited May 2019
    Not willing to be nasty, but if you needed 5 or 6 nights a week to beat Twim Emps... then maybe it was just the guild which was wrong.
    Nah, lots of that time was spent rerunning other content to gear up new joiners to replace those who moved on.

Must have run MC a 100 times or more it seems
    Hatefull

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    We never made it that far 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited August 2019

I'll probably stop to admire & gawk at the no lifers who have full tier 2 MC gear and shoot the shit with them via whispers to talk about builds the same way i did in classic. 
    It's pretty funny how obsessed everyone was with gear back in vanilla. I remember when I got my MC gear and walked through ironforge, I would get tells from strangers about the gear all the time. 

These days I honestly don't think anyone cares what someone else wear, I've never had a comment about gear since TBH.

I rememeber one time when we had just started to raid ZG, ZG was a hard sell to get people to sign up for since the bosses mostly dropped blue gear. So we decided to invite people from our friendslist and just /roll for the gear if any dropped.

We downed the first boss and some useless(looked to me atleast) blue ring dropped and a random guy /rolled and won it. Some guy in the guild got so mad on teamspeak the he cursed the rest of us for letting a non guild roll.  I have no idea why the leadership put up with that stuff. But probably because we didn't have enough people otherwise to raid.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Unless someone completely missed this experience, I have no idea why you'd want to do it all over again (and pay a sub to do it).
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Unless someone completely missed this experience, I have no idea why you'd want to do it all over again (and pay a sub to do it).
    Same reason people buy Scooby Doo lunch boxes on E-bay. It's fun to play with old toys. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I bet if I offered you a million dollars to come up with a few ideas as to why people would like to revisit this game you'd have no problems. 

It's like Amathe said, people enjoy visiting "old toys." To that point I spent two hours in Morrowind last night even though I played it for over 2 years and every now and then over the years. Pay money? Yup, If I had to buy it again, even for full price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I suspect that people want to try classic World of Warcraft, go back to classic World of Warcraft, and especially play an mmorpg that has a large amount of people in it right from the start. There is a lot to be said about that.
    Octagon7711laseritAxxar
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I can understand it from the leveling experience maybe. But from raiding POV it's pretty hard.

Unless you're in a very popular hardcore guild, then raiding is pretty hard.

Once we had some bosses in MC on farm we would have full raid on "farm" day but on progress day it would be maybe 25 if we were lucky. Making progress almost impossible.

We got stuck on Geddon for about a month, because it was so far into the raid that there was little time left on farm day, and ofc on progress day not enough people.

Kyleran