Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Please put in some relevant quotes with a link to the article. It will be closed otherwise.
    gervaise1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Well I can't edit the original post for some reason, so:  There is confusion as to whether or not Chris Spears is the CEO of Portalarium.  This article goes into detail.

"It seems now there might have been a bit more to it, as some Reddit sleuths and tipsters dug up a 2018 filing on the Texas Comptroller’s website that seems to indicate that last year, not only did Garriott drop the CEO title, but Chris Spears was granted it. A simple public records search brings it up, but we’re censoring addresses in the image we verified here out of respect for the board’s privacy."
    SBFordEarthgirlLeFantome
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    That does seem to make sense. Richard has been nonexistent in Shroud for over a year. He doesn't even tweet about it much at all and Starr seems pretty distant even in all the telethon streams. Past few times he has even snapped at Chris which is sad as you can see Chris has been working on it pretty much daily/hourly. 

I think putting Chris in charge might be good for the game. At least he won't implement silly things like guards growling at you or that you have to ask a guard to open a city gate for you.   
    Slapshot1188
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited May 2019
    Any trips to space on his schedule?

Kidding. Sorta.

So, Garriot is distancing himself from his own pet project, eh? That's not a good sign.

Several people I've checked out on Twitch were unanimous that the game was doing great, and was getting better by the day.

So, I went back and checked it out again. While there was definitely activity in the game, no doubt because of the switch to F2P... I dunno. Not much "energy" there. It didn't feel very "alive". I'd try talking to or interacting with other players, no response. May as well have been NPCs wandering around.

I don't know what exactly Garriot and co. were going for with SoTA, so I can't opine whether they achieved it or not. Gut instinct suggests they didn't. My personal impression is it's a really weird game that didn't quite know what it wanted to be when it grew up.

Post edited by QuarterStack on
    Earthgirl
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Flat out proof that Chris lied to players and investors.
    https://www.scribd.com/document/410448057/Item-1-Document-879878040001

LeFantome
    Hillt said:

Why, though?  I don't get the motivation.  It was public knowledge that Lord British was stepping down from the CEO role.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited May 2019
    Hillt said:

Why, though?  I don't get the motivation.  It was public knowledge that Lord British was stepping down from the CEO role.
    I think they were just running out of bodies to put names in the paperwork.

From a recent update over at MassivelyOP, Chris Spears wrote "We’re a dozen game devs making an MMO..."

I had no idea the team had shrunk so much, thought they were closer to 30 employees not so long ago.

No wonder they shucked their physical office....must have been swimming in all of the unused space.

Chris also said their accountant must have done it and signed his name to the documents.

Does he not understand as an officer of a public company which has sold stock and collected revenues he is responsible for the accuracy of information contained in SEC and Tax filing reports regardless who fills them out?

He should at least give them a glance now and then.

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2019
    Hillt said:
    That does seem to make sense. Richard has been nonexistent in Shroud for over a year. He doesn't even tweet about it much at all and Starr seems pretty distant even in all the telethon streams. Past few times he has even snapped at Chris which is sad as you can see Chris has been working on it pretty much daily/hourly. 

I think putting Chris in charge might be good for the game. At least he won't implement silly things like guards growling at you or that you have to ask a guard to open a city gate for you.   
    Don't kid yourself, Richard is distancing himself so when the inevitible bankrupcy / reorganization filing occurs his personal involvement will appear minimal and protect his personal assets from being considered for seizure by the courts.

This sometimes can occur if the officers of a Corp appear too tightly integrated as to separate them from the entity.

Hence, the removal of the CEO role, moving back to NY, less overall involvement and public announcements.

Likely Spears doesn't have enough assets for a court to bother coming for, but RG does.
    LeFantomeRexKushmanEarthgirl

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Hillt said:

That guy is a liar , no really surprise here. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    But they still owe me 2 more episodes...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

And a book?
    BlackghostX
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited May 2019
    I'm getting kind of bored and tired of these kind of media attacks on any subject. They have little credibility because they go on here say and rumors. Again, this is a trend that is continuing to build through all media and all topics. 

Facts seems to never be needed when something hated by a group a of people. in general, it will lead to a war, in gaming, it will lead to websites and media to lose viewership . 

Did you even read the article?  Where is the attack?
    EarthgirlKyleran
  • BlackghostXBlackghostX Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Dakeru said:

And a book?
    And a book, yes.
    I'm getting kind of bored and tired of these kind of media attacks on any subject. They have little credibility because they go on here say and rumors. Again, this is a trend that is continuing to build through all media and all topics. 

Facts seems to never be needed when something hated by a group a of people. in general, it will lead to a war, in gaming, it will lead to websites and media to lose viewership . 

Did you even read the article?  Where is the attack?
    The article is all about "facts," specifically legally filed tax documents and whose name is listed as CEO on them.

Inconvenient truths are not the same as yellow journalism.

I think my book was supposed to be in PDF form and I think I got it years ago.  Who knows.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This sounds so sketchy it's not funny.

He DENIES he is CEO,it is electronically signed by him but he says a contracted accountant filled it out.Well i don't think it is legal to sign someone else's signature so there is a lot of bull going on here,not that i am surprised,bullshit inside of game studios..nooooo it can't be.

Board of directors has 100% of the power,which just reading between the lines sounds like they have investors and just STOLE money from naive gamer's when they already had money to make the game.
    This Garriot guy reminds me more and more of Smedley ,a crooked scammer that was able to hide his true intentions for a long time until the internet became way more relevant.He sold out his Tabula Rasa,why would he do that,well money of course,that has been the ONLY thing he cares about is money and this SOTA was never about a great game but more about making money.

I see VERY few studios showing me game passion,everything is about the money factor.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    First off Richard has been active up until a few weeks ago when his Dad died.  He has been away dealing with that as well his Dads estate.   He will be back that is for sure.   Not sure where the people above get this delusion that he is not around.   I was in a stream with him a few weeks ago.

as to those bashing on Richard you should be ashamed of the garbage you post above which is all based on opinion not facts its very disrespectful considering the circumstances.

As to Chris and CEO title, don't really care it means nothing to anyone playing the game.  I could care less who has what titles or if someone was mislabeled from an accounting firm.  As to IRS all they really care about is that the taxes are paid and accurate as well the mailing address and person whom is responsible for the taxes is on the paper work.  If all that checks out then nothing here short of a media report from some troll on reddit that started this dig to paint a bad light.  you can go to reddit and see the original post which is now here because apparently its news worthy only to those that want to use it as something to stir up something.

Whos on first?

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I just want a playable fun game to live in for a while... I'll leave the rest to the legal nerds.

Right now, I'm living in LOTRO mostly with a little ESO dabbled in, and not SoTA...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?