Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Rune II & Its Epic Games Store Exclusivity Explained

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Rune II & Its Epic Games Store Exclusivity Explained

MMORPG.com reviews MMO and MMORPG games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    OMG RUNE 2 !!!!!!! my favore viking game !!
    Sovrathelveone

• black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    5% vs 30% and this needed to be news worthy? huh
    Phixion13
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    black9ice said:
    Guess you've missed the ... epic ... discussions that rage here and around the gaming space about Steam vs EGS. It is newsworthy because disaffected potential players make it that way. :)
    Sovrathgervaise1elveonePhixion13MadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

DMKano said:

black9ice said:

It's not so cut and dry.

Steam has a much bigger userbase when it comes to digital storefront.

Steam also has a sliding %cut - the more a product sells the less % they take, so it goes down to 20% after 50mil sales.

If all things were 100% equal - it would be a no brainers, but it's not the case.

For some games going with steam would be more profitable despite the higher %cut for steam. For smaller games that wont sell much Epic might be better.

Arguably it is the other way around. If you have an already established name with big marketing it is less likely that you need the publicity that Steam provides and if you are a small studio with no budget your only exposure to the world might be through the Steam storefront. I think that Epic has the greatest value if you have your name out there and you know that a certain audience will buy your game but you do not expect some kind of massive sales due to the game being more of a budget title. This way you are likely to hit your guaranteed sales which are not nearly enough to go to the upper tier brackets of Steam's revenue sharing scheme but at the same time you will benefit significantly from the better revenue sharing model that Epic has.

Also in order to combat the relatively smaller userbase part of the deal that Epic is making seems to be a guaranteed return-of-investment for a number of copies meaning that Epic will always pay as if that number of copies is sold on their store even if the actual sales fall short of it.
    SBFord
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019

elveone said:

DMKano said:

black9ice said:

It's not so cut and dry.

Steam also has a sliding %cut - the more a product sells the less % they take, so it goes down to 20% after 50mil sales.

If all things were 100% equal - it would be a no brainers, but it's not the case.

For some games going with steam would be more profitable despite the higher %cut for steam. For smaller games that wont sell much Epic might be better.

Arguably it is the other way around. If you have an already established name with big marketing it is less likely that you need the publicity that Steam provides and if you are a small studio with no budget your only exposure to the world might be through the Steam storefront. I think that Epic has the greatest value if you have your name out there and you know that a certain audience will buy your game but you do not expect some kind of massive sales due to the game being more of a budget title. This way you are likely to hit your guaranteed sales which are not nearly enough to go to the upper tier brackets of Steam's revenue sharing scheme but at the same time you will benefit significantly from the better revenue sharing model that Epic has.

Also in order to combat the relatively smaller userbase part of the deal that Epic is making seems to be a guaranteed return-of-investment for a number of copies meaning that Epic will always pay as if that number of copies is sold on their store even if the actual sales fall short of it.

For small games you also have the "lost in the noise" factor if you go with Steam + folks possibly just waiting for a Steam sale (so even less money) - and maybe get some money from Epic into the bargain!

vs. not that many games currently on Epic so your small game might get more exposure.

Factors the devs have to consider.
    SovrathSBFordelveoneThahar

gervaise1 said:

elveone said:

DMKano said:

black9ice said:

It's not so cut and dry.

For small games you also have the "lost in the noise" factor if you go with Steam + folks possibly just waiting for a Steam sale (so less even money) - and maybe get some money from Epic into the bargain!

vs. not that many games currently on Epic so your small game might get more exposure.

Factors the devs have to consider.

That is true but if your game is good and it manages to swim out to "popular new releases" then you might hit it pretty big.

Torval said:

DMKano said:

black9ice said:

It's not so cut and dry.

The other thing factor that seems to be glossed over in these articles gaslighting Epic is that it pisses a portion of the fanbase off.

In this case the game was Alpha and Beta tested through Steam. Then Steam customers are given the finger because Epic subsidy money is more important than building a new relationship with the core game fans. It's being used and then given the finger that is pissing some gamers off. No one likes being toyed with or treated as a commodity and being told when and how to take "it", like "it", and be thankful for "it".

And you know you have a loyal core fanbase when they abandon you over something as minor as a store platform change...
    SovrathSBFordThahar
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    "We decided to go with Epic because a featureless platform full of Chicom spyware run by people too stupid to execute a simple sale correctly best reflects the values of our company. Also, money. Lots and lots of money."
    Phixion13Tuor73domThaharAlexander.BEponyxDamorNordicApache

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    When Epics Game Store gets all the extrs Features Steam has, such as a community feeds/forums, Stat tracker, Family Game Sharing, Community Modding workshop, and many other facets of Steam that have made it the great that it is today ( and one of the reasons they can charge the extra percentages they ask for ), then I will give Epic a shot. As of now Epics Game Shop is just a hollow shell of an online shop, with barely any games, and most of the ones on it are garbage, and it doesnt even come close to comparing to any other Game Shop platform.
    elveonePhixion13Tuor7ThaharNordicApache

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• alaadaralaadar Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The whole spyware thing is extremely exaggerated and people tend to forget the security breeches that their coveted steam has had in the past. Let's be honest for a minute and stop acting like companies don't do things specifically targeted at making money majority of the time. People ask for this so the company does that so you will buy their product. Fortnite is insanely populated and the traffic to that store is going to be just as high. Fortnite hit something like 250 million registered users recently and a percentage of that are pc gamers, then millions are opening the epic store daily and coupled with the low cut percentage then EPIC is going to pull a lot of games away from other platforms. In the end its all about the money regardless what anyone says.
    elveonegervaise1
    edited May 2019
    Torval said:
    The other thing factor that seems to be glossed over in these articles gaslighting Epic is that it pisses a portion of the fanbase off.

In fact, that's exactly what this dude does: He acknowledges and respects the fact that people are ticked. 

Steam preorders will be honored and all content will come to them. I don't get the big deal but, then again, I don't care where games land. *shrugs*

gervaise1elveonePhixion13Thahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited May 2019
    Kalafax said:
    When Epics Game Store gets all the extrs Features Steam has, such as a community feeds/forums, Stat tracker, Family Game Sharing, Community Modding workshop, and many other facets of Steam that have made it the great that it is today ( and one of the reasons they can charge the extra percentages they ask for ), then I will give Epic a shot. As of now Epics Game Shop is just a hollow shell of an online shop, with barely any games, and most of the ones on it are garbage, and it doesnt even come close to comparing to any other Game Shop platform.
    You can, in fact, keep track of the development roadmap and check out all the planned features for EGS:

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
    gervaise1elveonePhixion13Thahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    edited May 2019
    Today you can get Rime for free and next week City of Brass. So now a new free game every week.
    Also Sims 4 for free on Origin platform
    Phry
    Torval said:
    elveone said:

Torval said:

DMKano said:

black9ice said:

It's not so cut and dry.

In this case the game was Alpha and Beta tested through Steam. Then Steam customers are given the finger because Epic subsidy money is more important than building a new relationship with the core game fans. It's being used and then given the finger that is pissing some gamers off. No one likes being toyed with or treated as a commodity and being told when and how to take "it", like "it", and be thankful for "it".

And you know you have a loyal core fanbase when they abandon you over something as minor as a store platform change...
    The fans didn't abandon them. The studio did the abandoning. The one who leaves is the one who abandons. Their customers didn't follow them wherever the wind money took them. Big difference.

I don't really care if a game publishes on Epic. I care if a studio presented and marketed their game on a platform or storefront, even going so far as testing and taking sales with promised Steam keys, and then abandons it because they got a backroom payout which is exactly what happened here.

It is annoying but not that big of a deal in the long run because Steam lets me blacklist games and sometimes studios or publishers. In the case of Annapurna anything the develop or publish is blacklisted so I don't even see the titles on my Steam store page. It's just taking time to weed the sellouts out from the decent studios and publishers.

Studios, like Wube, that make good games don't need to engage in unethical or hostile consumer practices and won't be bought off. Those are the companies I will support and do it through store fronts that are friendly to my platform, the consumer, and studios like itch.io or Steam.

Once streaming services hit, then this will all be moot in my opinion. People will pay subs to access hundreds of titles for a small recurring fee, like Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. We won't buy games very often anymore, just like movies and music.
    Yeah, it is the "fans" that are abandoning the studio and not the other way around. The game is still in development and it is still going to be released. The only difference is that it is going to be available on only one store for a limited time in order to secure the funding needed to finish the game without a compromise to quality so the inconvenience to these "fans" is that they will have to download and install a program and register an account if they do not have one already. Or, you know, wait for a little bit if they are so adamant about not wanting to install a harmless program that they do not really need to use for anything else.
    SBFord
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kalafax said:
    It's a "your mileage may vary" on that stuff.

feeds/forums? who f'ing cares. Stat Tracker? For what? so one can look to see that you put in 500 hours in a game because ... .?

Family game sharing does seem a nice feature if your family isn't around. Community Modding is only effective if the games have mods. And there is always the nexus which is rich with mods for a multitude of games.

For "me" Steam is great because I really wanted to buy a game (years ago) and it wasn't in any of the stores. I did some research, found it on Steam and bought it. THAT is the initial awesomeness of Steam.

I think for players who might be a bit older they are just going to want to get the games they want. Doesn't matter where they get it. 

elveoneThaharSBFordTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Unless they are going to sell the game cheaper because EGS doesn't take as much of a cut as Steam or other Online Stores do, then who cares? this is all about greed and how much more $$ they are getting, the only people who could be remotely excited about this are the bean counters. :/
    mklinicelveone
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Kalafax said:
    You can, in fact, keep track of the development roadmap and check out all the planned features for EGS:

Why these guys are given a pass is beyond me. They're a multibillion dollar company. We wouldn't and haven't put up with this from EA or Ubisoft and the likes, but Epic gets a pass. They have the resources, but they just don't value the customer experience. Sweeney himself is on record for plainly stating as much.

Itch.io is an indie store front that caters especially to indies. Despite their size they offer good incentives for studios/publishers while still caring about the consumer as well. Even though they're small they still offer native Linux and Mac clients, along with Windows, to make purchasers feel welcome. They don't have Steam features, but they're actually small and not cash rich unlike Epic. They get a pass because they're actually trying, progressing, and succeeding with no Fortnite bankroll.

Why are we treating a multibillion dollar company that is over 40% owned by the worlds biggest publisher like they're a struggling indie that finds web dev hard?
    and it's even worse than that imo.
    the press and journalists should be the ones fighting exclusivity deals on pc and instead of that, they just watch that shit gets traction and constantly divert the issue to %cut between stores.
    it's gonna end up like all the crap they should have fought against but instead let slide with the same argument everytime : GaMeRs ArE CrYbAbIeS, tHeY DoN't KnOw WhAt ThEy WaNt NoR hOw ThIs InDuStRy WoRkS (how the hell do people write like this on the regular). 

and then we fucking end up with DLCs everywhere, paid fucking alpha and beta, scamstarter, loot boxes and now store exclusivity.
    elveone
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Phry said:
    Unless they are going to sell the game cheaper because EGS doesn't take as much of a cut as Steam or other Online Stores do, then who cares? this is all about greed and how much more $$ they are getting, the only people who could be remotely excited about this are the bean counters. :/
    Publishers and developers wanting more money is greed, but people wanting to pay less money is what? Noble? Their right? It's a free market. Companies aren't conspiring against consumers.

Gaming is still a very cheap hobby. Even watching paint dry costs more. Today on PSN sale I got 12 titles for ~£100. They got about 300 hours of gameplay. That's 33p per hour. I painted one of the bedrooms the other week and it cost ~£120 and only took 6 hours to dry so it cost me £20 per hour to watch paint dry. 
    SBFordelveone
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    black9ice said:
    It's not so cut and dry.

This is the part that initially baffled me, but indicated we're not seeing some really attractive data these devs are.

No way they risk this kind of slap in the face unless the potential being shown by Epic is solid.

Doesn't make it feel better as a consumer, though.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Kalafax said:

Why these guys are given a pass is beyond me. They're a multibillion dollar company. We wouldn't and haven't put up with this from EA or Ubisoft and the likes, but Epic gets a pass. They have the resources, but they just don't value the customer experience. Sweeney himself is on record for plainly stating as much.

Itch.io is an indie store front that caters especially to indies. Despite their size they offer good incentives for studios/publishers while still caring about the consumer as well. Even though they're small they still offer native Linux and Mac clients, along with Windows, to make purchasers feel welcome. They don't have Steam features, but they're actually small and not cash rich unlike Epic. They get a pass because they're actually trying, progressing, and succeeding with no Fortnite bankroll.

Why are we treating a multibillion dollar company that is over 40% owned by the worlds biggest publisher like they're a struggling indie that finds web dev hard?
    I don't believe it's that this store gets a pass and the other stores didn't. It's an overall experience, and it's also the games available.  Origins exclusivity was hokey at best. There weren't a lot of games that were exclusive, and it was the same situation, the games that were exclusive that people wanted to play, they went to origin to play them. 

Epic is different because they have a lot of exclusive released titles.  

I still don't understand it... a store is a store.  You aren't being forced to drive 30 minutes to get a different item, you're literally typing in a different web address. 

I care nothing for steam. Not over any other store.  At best you can look at the reviews before you buy a game and hope that they give you what you're looking for, at worst, jaded gamers lash out at developers and tank their scores.  Steam never seems to put games in my queue that interest me.  I don't care about the achievements, cards and nonsense like that.. it's bloat.

I go to stores to buy games, and then I play the games.  Apparently other people feel differently, and all that amounts to, is that they won't get to play some games when they release.  They've made their decision, they shouldn't complain about it.
    SBFordelveoneMadFrenchieSovrathDrakenw

edited May 2019
    I go to stores to buy games, and then I play the games.  Apparently other people feel differently, and all that amounts to, is that they won't get to play some games when they release.  They've made their decision, they shouldn't complain about it.
    I 100% agree. People talk about the giant that is Epic and being partially owned by Tencent like it's the doom of the western world. Why does Valve get a pass for Steam? What has it done to engender such adoration other than earn literally billions for Gabe Newell and investors? Why is Valve so beloved for its almost complete monopoly of the digital games world for a decade when all the other EVUL CORPORATIONS in gaming today are not? It defies explanation. :smile:

By the way...Gabe Newell's net worth is $3.9 BILLION DOLLARS. But he's a good guy amiright? :D

I dunno. People can go ahead and get bent out of shape. I'll just go play games and pick more important battles to fight. This world has a helluva lot bigger problems than which gaming platform carries what games. 
    ConstantineMeruselveonemaskedweaselMadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Kalafax said:

I don't believe it's that this store gets a pass and the other stores didn't. It's an overall experience, and it's also the games available.  Origins exclusivity was hokey at best. There weren't a lot of games that were exclusive, and it was the same situation, the games that were exclusive that people wanted to play, they went to origin to play them. 

I still don't understand it... a store is a store.  You aren't being forced to drive 30 minutes to get a different item, you're literally typing in a different web address. 

I care nothing for steam. Not over any other store.  At best you can look at the reviews before you buy a game and hope that they give you what you're looking for, at worst, jaded gamers lash out at developers and tank their scores.  Steam never seems to put games in my queue that interest me.  I don't care about the achievements, cards and nonsense like that.. it's bloat.

The amount of anime-laden Asian games that appear in my queue is baffling considering my Steam games list and play time scream those titles aren't my preference.

I've stopped using the Discovery queue, unfortunately.
    EponyxDamormaskedweaselSBFord

Torval said:
    Gamers forgive and forget easily. If we didn't EA, Tencent, Activision,  Sony, Microsoft, and Netease wouldn't still be the top dogs. Every single one of those companies have majorly screwed the consumer over, without real apology, at some point and they're still on top. They feel a momentary revenue hit, a small stock dip - for a time, and then it's back to biz as usual.

I think it's because, in the end not a lot of people really care. Oh sure, they might be miffed for one reason or another but these are video games. They aren't medicine. 

For me, I don't care up until the point I care.

If I buy games on Epic and there are no issues then why should I care?

If I buy a game on Epic and there are issues with my credit card where they charge me multiple times or I buy a game but it can't download and once it downloads it crashes all the time then "I care."

Those other companies make missteps, sure. But they offer products that people want and like and as long as people are satisfied with enough of their offerings then it's a non-factor.

Some gamers think that just because people play video games that they are plugged into all little dramas that seem to come up. I bet most people just don't care as long as they get a game they enjoy. And I bet most people aren't going to criticize every little detail or scrutinize every small problem. Probably acknowledge it and move on.

I think Masked Weasel has the right of it.
    SBFordMadFrenchie

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    The amount of anime-laden Asian games that appear in my queue is baffling considering my Steam games list and play time scream those titles aren't my preference.

A little off topic, but you can specify tags (up to three last I set them) that you want to filter out of your discovery queue. You can also filter Early Access/Unreleased stuff as well. Just passing it on if you had not already seen this functionality.
    MadFrenchie

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Kalafax said:

What does your Epic store discovery queue show you?
    That there is absolutely no need for a discovery queue? ;)
    MadFrenchiemaskedweaselgervaise1