Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like the WOW killer has finally arrived?

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    yeah, only people who cares about a wow killer is people who still plays it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I was actually excited to hear about the factions getting back to the Horde vs. Alliance strife. One of my friends mentioned the possibility of them creating a third faction? Would that bring more races, and maybe some new classes?

Gotta roll one of each for the three months I sub, and then I'll get burned out playing alone as all my now-l33t raiding friends are off doing that. I told them raiding leads to no good, and nothing but drama, and I've been proven right by the years and guild closures!

Damn raiders.....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Wow was dead to me after 5 minutes  'gameplay' with global cool down BS and some level 50 retard following me around constantly trying to duel me. To be fair it was lucky I got that far because the character models in character creation were a total and utter joke.
    I think it was 2010 I tried it because it must be great because of all the players that loved it even though I hated the cartoon graphics whenever I saw the game. I should of trusted my judgement.While i'm bitching like a school child I may as well say that 'wow classic' is the biggest misnomer in the history of MMORPG. Well maybe apart from BDO being a sandbox /laugh

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809
    Oh look, another "this expansion is going to kill WoW because ....reasons" post.

How long have we been seeing these posts? Oh, yeah, since Burning Crusade.

Now, on to the eventual "I quit BFA after a week and this time for good" posts and "this will be the expansion that finally kills WoW for super serious this time" 2 years from now.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    Xiaoki said:
    Oh look, another "this expansion is going to kill WoW because ....reasons" post.

Now, on to the eventual "I quit BFA after a week and this time for good" posts and "this will be the expansion that finally kills WoW for super serious this time" 2 years from now.

WoW will never regain 10 million subscriber mark ever again. Third part estimates for WoW sub numbers are pointing 5 to 5.19 million subs right now. And it's set to cotinuously lose subs slowly over the years. 

Most of the WoW realms have been on low population for quite a while, no idea why they don't have plans for merges.

No idea how classic release will impact numbers though.
    Reyone1
  • Reyone1Reyone1 Member CommonPosts: 8
    rush1984 said:
    wow dies for me with the end of wotlk , it seems every expansion since tbc gets worst and worst.

i'm truly looking forward to classic wow, i still play games with 3 of my "vanilla" friends i made in classic, we are going to make a guild and website just like the old days and play the shit out of vanilla all over again, it couldnt come soon enough imo.
    I've lost hope in any other mmorpg taking my interest, i have about 50 different accounts for various mmorpgs that have failed to live up to the hype, bless online being the last straw.

I just hope blizz dont mess this up 

Wow died for me at the end of WOTLK. I feel like everything since then has been dumbing down the classes beyond recognition and with every expansion it gets worse.
    Where I fail is to understand this hype about vanilla servers. The moment that news let out that there would be zero progression coming to this vanilla servers another piece of me that held out hope for this game died.
    I don't know how many people remember Vanilla WOW but IMO it bad. I can't wait to see what happens when drums of war hits live servers and everyone simply ignores these servers just like blizzard seems to ignore the right tactics to implement to keep this game from fading into the background.
    I should have known better though, we all should have by now. Yes, they are giving us vanilla but you will run the same content over and over again because that's what blizzard wants. They want you playing the game in its upcoming current state and that's that.
    I thought Blizzard was finally making a move to appease their player base but I was wrong.... again. I give it less than 3 months into release before those vanilla servers that everyone has rallied for are ghost towns. Everyone has said it, some how wavered but in the end, the real WOW killer will be Blizzard with no shame for it.
    Everything the light touches is our kingdom.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2018
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:
    wow dies for me with the end of wotlk , it seems every expansion since tbc gets worst and worst.

i'm truly looking forward to classic wow, i still play games with 3 of my "vanilla" friends i made in classic, we are going to make a guild and website just like the old days and play the shit out of vanilla all over again, it couldnt come soon enough imo.
    I've lost hope in any other mmorpg taking my interest, i have about 50 different accounts for various mmorpgs that have failed to live up to the hype, bless online being the last straw.

Wow died for me at the end of WOTLK. I feel like everything since then has been dumbing down the classes beyond recognition and with every expansion it gets worse.
    Where I fail is to understand this hype about vanilla servers. The moment that news let out that there would be zero progression coming to this vanilla servers another piece of me that held out hope for this game died.
    I don't know how many people remember Vanilla WOW but IMO it bad. I can't wait to see what happens when drums of war hits live servers and everyone simply ignores these servers just like blizzard seems to ignore the right tactics to implement to keep this game from fading into the background.
    I should have known better though, we all should have by now. Yes, they are giving us vanilla but you will run the same content over and over again because that's what blizzard wants. They want you playing the game in its upcoming current state and that's that.
    I thought Blizzard was finally making a move to appease their player base but I was wrong.... again. I give it less than 3 months into release before those vanilla servers that everyone has rallied for are ghost towns. Everyone has said it, some how wavered but in the end, the real WOW killer will be Blizzard with no shame for it.
    Many folks remember vanilla, because there are still many folks playing Light's Hope even after Nost and Elysium are gone, all of which are private vanilla servers.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I missed the last 3 Xpacs except for like a trial week until Legion.    The systems they added were enjoyable, outside of the Artifact Grind.  After playing alpha and beta and waiting for the Azerite system, I'm not worried.  If I don't enjoy the game I can, gasp, unsub!
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    edited July 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Xiaoki said:

1) WoW will never regain 10 million subscriber mark ever again.

2.)Third part estimates for WoW sub numbers are pointing 5 to 5.19 million subs right now. And it's set to cotinuously lose subs slowly over the years. 

3.)Most of the WoW realms have been on low population for quite a while, no idea why they don't have plans for merges.

4.)No idea how classic release will impact numbers though.
    1.) So what? How  many other games do you see hitting 10 million subs in the future? How many MMOs have EVER hit 10 million subs? What difference does it make?
    2.) They ONLY have 5 million subs? I'm sure every MMO that has been forced to go FTP for the past ten years would kill to have those numbers.  And yet many of those FTP games can't generate revenue regardless of how much of their game they give away. Meanwhile 5 million subscribers are gladly forking over $15 a month to play a fourteen year old game. 
    3.) MOST of the realms are low? Not when I play. There are quite a few full and medium realms. For a game that is fourteen years old that is quite remarkable. Get back to me when another MMO accomplishes that feat. 

WOW isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Most companies are no longer willing to risk the investment to compete and Blizzard doesn't seem to be interested in making another. So like it or not, this game will be around for as long as Blizzard chooses it to be.
    Nepheth

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Gutlard said:
    I was actually excited to hear about the factions getting back to the Horde vs. Alliance strife. One of my friends mentioned the possibility of them creating a third faction? Would that bring more races, and maybe some new classes?

Gotta roll one of each for the three months I sub, and then I'll get burned out playing alone as all my now-l33t raiding friends are off doing that. I told them raiding leads to no good, and nothing but drama, and I've been proven right by the years and guild closures!

Damn raiders.....

Gut Out!
    I thought they should have had 3 factions long ago....Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, many other races could have hated both sides.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    edited July 2018
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:

Many folks remember vanilla, because there are still many folks playing Light's Hope even after Nost and Elysium are gone, all of which are private vanilla servers.
    Wow will continue on inertia alone for quite some time. I quite imagine that years later it will be the last of the truly "old school" MMORPGs to die. I'm quite positive it will outlive my grizzled old ass by a country mile. That said I don't have a hell of a lot of hope of Classic Wow making much of an impact. Those of us who were there at the beginning might get a charge out of going back to our younger days, but I doubt many of us will want to stay there for a prolonged period of time as there is just so many more things we could be doing. And those who never sipped from the cup of old school Wow might find it a novel stroll through MMORPGs of the past, but will most likely find the old school restrictions annoying, and gravitate back to more casual friendly waters.
    This is what I think will happen as well. I enjoy reliving my childhood whenever I play an Atari or NES emulator. However that fun is very short lived and then I don't pick them up again for quite a few years. Been there, done that. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited January 2019
    I think the wowkiller is possibly Fortnite , admittedly it is not an mmo but it there is a huge change in the gaming habits of what I suspect is one of WoW's key demographics ( gamers between their mid teens to mid 20s ) . I think it is partly this change in gaming habits that has led to the rumored massive drop in subscriptions to WoW . 

Classic will give WoW a bit a of a boost but I there is bound to be a point when there are more people playing another mmo than WoW and it probably won't be because that mmo has record breaking numbers of players but it will be because WoW just loses players because its quality has dropped to the point there is an exodus away from it which is what seems to be happening at the moment . 

The days when WoW is a dominant force in gaming seem to be slowly coming to an end . It had a great run though and is in no mean on its last legs . I suspect it will be around in another decade or two and knocking out content for a diminished but still profitable customer base . 
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I think WoW will get better after all the crap is over with. I suspect they could do well with a bit more updated pay model and less emphasis on daily reputation grinds. 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    The only thing that can kill WoW is WoW... it is a long slow death but they are working hard on it.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    MangledBL said:
    That being Battle for Azeroth...  I don't think I can remember a expansion where people have complained so much about the Class changes, which for some reason seem's to be falling on deaf ears..  

Anyone else kinda scared to see what hey have done to destroy your class?  Well anyone but DEMO Warlocks...

World of Warlocks
    I think the only people who cares for a wow killer is who still play wow, most don't even care about it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2019
    Albatroes said:
    MangledBL said:
    That being Battle for Azeroth...  I don't think I can remember a expansion where people have complained so much about the Class changes, which for some reason seem's to be falling on deaf ears..  

Anyone else kinda scared to see what hey have done to destroy your class?  Well anyone but DEMO Warlocks...

World of Warlocks
    You can't remember an expansion where people complained about class changes....? You weren't around in Legion or something? Demo had to sit through the entire expansion being utterly garbage and Destruction didn't get 'fixed' until half way through. Arcane and Frost mage were pretty much garbage dps wise unless you hit a perfect storm of a situation. Warriors were....warriors. Shadow priest is still garbage and will remain garbage in bfa according to Ion. Dunno where you've been my friend. It might 'seem' more controversial cause they 'gave' a lot to classes in legion but honestly people are so stupid that they didn't even realize that Blizzard took a lot of crap away at the start of legion only to give half of it back (half of the stuff in your artifact 'tree' was from glyphs and old talent choices). They're pretty much gonna do the same thing with azerite armor, so people are gonna QQ until they see it and Q less later on. Its obvious WoW is running out of ideas but people seem to be happy as long as they are spoonfed SOMETHING.
    Demonology got a revamp in Wrath of the Lich King.  Affliction got a ton of changes that expansion, as well.  Havoc was added to Destruction in the the ICC patch, IIRC, and that's ignoring the sweeping changes they made to that spec from BC (Sunwell-era) to Wrath.  I'm sure other classes saw fairly robust changes then, as well.  Class Revamps or major changes to class mechanics are not a new thing.  People complained about them back then, too...  90% of Warlocks were Destruction up until ICC.

Every expansion, burnt out players with no other viable options (because 98.6% of MMORPGs on the market are vaporware, IMHO) complain that the expansion is killing WoW.

WoW is like 14 years old.  It's dying of old age.  There is no magic there, just a bunch of people wishing for a miracle whenever they release an expansion or content patch.
  • FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited January 2019
    Hell I remember ranting on this site about the end being near with the WOTLK changes so I quit before Cata I woke up my old account to farm some mounts and stuff during Legion and I was taken back how AWFUL things had gotten, so that lasted a month, I can't imagine it possibly being worse than that. Dear God in Christ what did they do to Shadow Priests...... oh man I don't have the blood pressure for this anymore. 
    Thupli[Deleted User]Axxar
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited January 2019
    You can say what you want its very popular on twitch, ingame its croud. Most of them just game and dont bother talkin about the game. 

Wish I would still enjoy it :(
    Hatefull

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Dragnelus said:
    You can say what you want its very popular on twitch, ingame its croud. Most of them just game and dont bother talkin about the game. 

On account of seven servers being used and the rest being tossed aside as ...well just servers that have two people on em.

Also know what else is popular on twitch? RL Workout videos so honestly you using twitch aas a prime (ah ha!) example is basically just saying "hey everyone I don't know what I'm talking about over here looky me".
    sumdumguy1
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Activision was a slow poison at first, and I thought Blizzard was big enough and made enough money to hold them at bay, but it turns out Activision decided to stop auto attacking and spam Mutilate while popping a Thistle Tea this last year.

I've never seen Blizzard, be less Blizzard-like than it was in 2018. They've had their ups and downs, but it was just fail fail fail all year. They're a husk of an amazing company at this point and Activision gutted them.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Astropuyo said:
    Dragnelus said:

On account of seven servers being used and the rest being tossed aside as ...well just servers that have two people on em.

Also know what else is popular on twitch? RL Workout videos so honestly you using twitch aas a prime (ah ha!) example is basically just saying "hey everyone I don't know what I'm talking about over here looky me".
    You make it a prime example not me. And dont lie about the servers man.
    Hatefull

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019
    World of Warcraft is a virus, not a bacteria. It's not going anywhere you gotta live with it. Go take your meds and keep the outbreaks to a minimum.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    edited May 2019
    Blizzard is putting everything into reviving Classic. They may come out with BC, and Wotlk, but that is where it will diverge. Past that they will make new content for Classic. Otherwise Blizz wouldn't be putting all this effort into building it with the modern WoW engine. It is going to be a long term MMO.

Classic is going to be the WoW killer.
    Nilden
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    grndzro said:
    Blizzard is putting everything into reviving Classic. They may come out with BC, and Wotlk, but that is where it will diverge. Past that they will make new content for Classic. Otherwise Blizz wouldn't be putting all this effort into building it with the modern WoW engine. It is going to be a long term MMO.

Classic is going to be the WoW killer.
    While I agree, I also think it's more of a revitalization not just for WoW but the entire genre.

Can't wait to see what happens. My obvious bias for classic WoW aside, I hope we see some numbers from Blizzard on how well classic does.

grndzro

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Nilden said:
    hope we see some numbers from Blizzard on how well classic does. 

Expect to see some shady trophy numbers within a couple weeks of official release, imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.