Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever ask a kid what he is playing? The answer may shed light on the future of mmorpgs.

2»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2019
    I don't have kids but when I do (if i do) i'll have one thing to offer them for gaming, my console collection. And a sweet message, handle them with care or get your own.
    [Deleted User]

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I didn't play my first MMORPG until i was 26. Everything before that was 80's console related.

I do know that as a kid if i was shown an MMORPG from an adult i would immediately refuse to play it. Kids are rebellious and tend to not want to do what older people tell them to. At least that was how i was. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    anemo said:
    I was pretty sad watching my nephew and friends open loot boxes.  And everyone actually paying attention and getting excited for each other's stuff.   (Like they would stockpile and take turns at someone's house).

I was the old guy there, confused about why it was a huge thing.  And getting you're old and don't understand looks.   (Worth noting that by this forum's standards I'm young).
    So you've never bought Magic cards or any other kind of random product?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Hariken said:
    My son has almost no interest in MMORPG.  He played warframe and GTA online on his own and that is about it. He plays survival as well. Sports online and a few BR.
    Yeah, I don't know anyone under 20 that's into MMO's... If they game it's not on PC but maybe a console. But definitely mobile or any hand held. 
    Aren't some MMOs available on consoles now?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    ^ agreed. Roblox, Fortnite, and Minecraft are my daughter’s go-to, in that order. She asks for her allowance in Robux. 

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    kjempff said:
    You can't project future wants like that. I (and my generation) played space invaders and super mario as a kid, but that didn't mean we play platformers and action games today. Video game industry covers a broad range of ages, and even if you say certain hardware will dictate the future of gaming, you would probably still be wrong..no one knows what comes, and everything can change over a short period of 5 years if you use history as an example.
    I believe that if you understand why something has happened, and are able to track the changes over time, you can reasonably predict the likely future. It also helps if you have seen similar patterns in the past. It is true that nothing is ever certain.... but some events are more likely than others.

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    You have to look at it through a developer's point of view.
    Which is quite simple.

Profit > anything else.

MMOs will NEVER appeal to that kind of age group (>14).
    Just take a look at yourself how you evolved through your gaming experience
    and how "elegant" and demanding you became throughout your course.

You can't beat the excitement of a 12yo when he/she's opening a loot box but
    you certainly can beat the shit out of him/her when he/she's draining your mastercard.

KyleranAlBQuirky
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    mmoprgs were never in their history a kids age demographic. Why should people look to kids now for the future of mmorpgs?
    Kyleran
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    It looks like Minecraft like game take the slot of "play forever" games that MMOs once held.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Xasapis said:
    mmoprgs were never in their history a kids age demographic. Why should people look to kids now for the future of mmorpgs?
    I started at 15.  I would say that my son has tried MMORPG.  They just aren't that great of games compared to what they can play.  
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Xasapis said:
    I started at 15.  I would say that my son has tried MMORPG.  They just aren't that great of games compared to what they can play.  
    I believe the average mmorpg player age at the time of Everquest was 26. mmorpgs were in their history a (young) adult form of entertainment.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Xasapis said:
    Well, I used to say MMORPGs took more thought to play well hence didn't appeal to younger children, but that hasn't been true for a very long time.

So easy your grandma can play it.....

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    I believe the average mmorpg player age at the time of Everquest was 26. mmorpgs were in their history a (young) adult form of entertainment.
    Never been thrilled with the gameplay. I liked the a lot of players and PvP.  There was also seeming promise of flying cars that virtual worlds would arise and it would be a second life.  Instead we got high fantasy FedEx emulators and get shit simulations.

I know kid me would have been far more enthusiastic to play a BR than bored to death with MMORPG being boiled down to the most generic goala on top of subpar gameplay.
    Kyleran said:
    Xasapis said:
    Well, I used to say MMORPGs took more thought to play well hence didn't appeal to younger children, but that hasn't been true for a very long time.

So easy your grandma can play it.....

;)

Thinking just meant you were exploiting.  The vision has been hard coded.  You can't really invent new ways to play. Press 1234 and if you are elite you may do 1234131234.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Erevus said:
    You have to look at it through a developer's point of view.
    Which is quite simple.

Profit > anything else.

MMOs will NEVER appeal to that kind of age group (>14).
    Just take a look at yourself how you evolved through your gaming experience
    and how "elegant" and demanding you became throughout your course.

You can't beat the excitement of a 12yo when he/she's opening a loot box but
    you certainly can beat the shit out of him/her when he/she's draining your mastercard.

Xasapis said:
    There was a time when MMORPG's skewed younger. Just look at Runescape, and Club Penguin. These were both huge at their peaks, and brought longer gaming sessions to younger players. The market has changed since then, and those players have gotten older. It will take some changes to how (young) people play games before this could happen again.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I dont care what kids play.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    MMORPGs are not for kids at least till they grow up. That's classic and we know it never dies.