Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival game for someone new to the genre?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I've avoided survival games because so many of them seem to be stuck in early access.  Still, I'm interested to see what the craze is about.  What game would you recommend to someone new to the genre?  Preferably one that's not highly difficult and doesn't have very twitchy combat.  Solo or co-op without PvP are both fine.

Thanks!

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    The long dark is pretty good. 
    Phaserlight
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Subnautica.

It has no PvP and 94% positive reviews on Steam: 
      https://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/
    immodiumMaurgrim

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    If you can pick up Ark or Conan Exiles on sale they are both pretty fun. I play on my own private servers with custom settings tho and it makes a massive difference.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Nilden said:
    If you can pick up Ark or Conan Exiles on sale they are both pretty fun. I play on my own private servers with custom settings tho and it makes a massive difference.
    The issue I have with these types of multiplayer games is that the environment is not hostile enough. There is a certain expectation that PvP will happen, so that takes the focus, leaving the survival elements behind.

Even Skyrim with Frostfall and the companion mods installed is a completely different experience than the main game. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    7 Days to Die!
    DrunkWolf

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    The answer is obviously Minecraft
    Phaserlight
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Vrika said:
    Subnautica.

It has no PvP and 94% positive reviews on Steam: 
      https://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/
    The best survival game I've played. It has a half decent story and more importantly, it has an end.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Rhoklaw said:
    To the OP:

1 - 7 Days to Die = Zombies plus minecraft voxel apocalyptic world. It's also the only survival game with randomly generated maps.

2 - ARK: Survival Evolved = Dinosaurs and A LOT of them in a prehistoric island.

3 - Conan Exiles = Well, Conan's Hyboria setting, gods you can worship, NPC's you can knock unconscious and enslave.

That is just the setting. All of those games have a lot more to offer. Most of which revolves around leveling up, gaining new crafting / combat skills and so on.
    This is a good start...But, i would reverse it. I think Conan exiles is a bit easier to get started with and would let you see if the genre is what you wish to play for more than one game.

I would get it on sale and play solo for the first few games. If you like it at all, then look for a server to try that meets your play style (pvp/Pve) and if you have fun, then look for another game down the line.
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    That new Western Style Suvival game is fun....Outlaws of the wild west
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Just came here to find some recommendations and here we are. Thnx guys 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Rhoklaw said:
    Xasapis said:
    Nilden said:
    The issue I have with these types of multiplayer games is that the environment is not hostile enough. There is a certain expectation that PvP will happen, so that takes the focus, leaving the survival elements behind.

Even Skyrim with Frostfall and the companion mods installed is a completely different experience than the main game. 
    You obviously haven't played ARK than. If you don't make the game too easy by changing default settings, I guarantee you anyone and everyone will die, A LOT.
    It's not about whether you die.

The issue is that in ARK PvE elements are at their most difficult at the start of the game. Then it's designed so that you will get more powerful, can ignore most of those challenges, and leave survival elements behind so that you can focus on grinding for more PvP power.

That's not to say that ARK would be a bad game. But I have to agree with Xasapis that for pure PvE it's not that good because it's designed for PvP

About another game: OP you didn't specify what type of survival game. If you like more strategy type survival games then there's Rimworld: 
        https://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/RimWorld/
    It's got 97% positive rating on Steam. It's different game since you're directing a small tribe instead of an individual, usually between 3-20 people. It's about building a small village with the tribe and surviving. If you like slower paced and more strategic games it's really good.
    [Deleted User]

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2019
    Conan Exiles.

I love the ability to slow down hunger/thirst on my own server, almost to a full stop (can't remember if you can disable it). The aggressive hunger/thirst decay stops me from enjoying these games rather than making me feel like i need to survive.

You can also tweak the difficulty of npcs on your own server.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
        You eliminate most Survival games if you dont want twitchy ..

If you can handle some  ..  a couple that have not been mentioned that are great

Some of the deepest Survivasl games are not twitchy at al

Have Fun

Phaserlight
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's weird seeing people mention Rimworld and Kenshi. While both are excellent games and technically "survival" they are also not your typical survival like Rust, Ark, or Conan Exiles. Both are colony and base management games and could fall into the RTS category.

To which I would like to add Dawn of Man and Banished. I enjoy these games but they are single player colony survival more than just survival in the typical sense.
    Phaserlight

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Don't Starve would be my recommendation for a newbie.

The following are all... atypical:

What about survival horror? Things like Amnesia or Knock Knock...

The Void (Tension)

If you include Rimworld you may as well include Dwarf Fortress.
    Scorchien

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Conan Exiles, Its the best in the genre right now and considering you are on MMORPG im assuming you like MMO's which it is, well , MMO Lite. Play it now!
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Conan Exiles, Its the best in the genre right now and considering you are on MMORPG im assuming you like MMO's which it is, well , MMO Lite. Play it now!
    Alternately, he wishes to see the judgement of the community here.

I'm curious now, though: what features does Conan Exiles have that make it a survival game (most survival games feature permadeath, e.g.)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I'm curious now, though: what features does Conan Exiles have that make it a survival game (most survival games feature permadeath, e.g.)
    Really? I've played only two, Conan Exiles and Dark and Light and didn't experience perma-death.

I don't think all servers of Ark, for example, have permadeath. but I don't think not having it makes it less of a survival game.

One has to eat and drink in conan exiles. One has to be mindful of being in the sun for too long. One can get sick if they eat bad food. 

Food spoils so one has to have food/fresh water.

In any case, Conan Exiles is a great game I absolutely love it.
    PhaserlightJeffSpicoli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
     Also You can die if you get caught out in a sand storm making shelter a must when a storm rolls in.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    @OP, what setting do you want to play in? Dino's, zombies, Conan, fantasy...

I preferred the setting in Dark and Light, though I'd say Conan is the overall better experience. 
    Sovrath said:

Really? I've played only two, Conan Exiles and Dark and Light and didn't experience perma-death.

I don't think all servers of Ark, for example, have permadeath. but I don't think not having it makes it less of a survival game.

One has to eat and drink in conan exiles. One has to be mindful of being in the sun for too long. One can get sick if they eat bad food. 

Resource management is another hallmark of the survival genre. 

The question wasn't an attempt to throw shade over Conan, just found it unusual because MMOs aren't what first spring to mind when I read "survival game" because... permadeath.

That's the funny thing about genres, I suppose.  Someone can make a zombie movie where zombies are fast, or even the "good guys", or a zombie comedy, etc. etc.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Sovrath said:

Resource management is another hallmark of the survival genre. 

The question wasn't an attempt to throw shade over Conan, just found it unusual because MMOs aren't what first spring to mind when I read "survival game" because... permadeath.

That's the funny thing about genres, I suppose.  Someone can make a zombie movie where zombies are fast, or even the "good guys", or a zombie comedy, etc. etc.
    Nah, I didn't think you were throwing shade and quite frankly there are a lot of valid criticisms that could be made of Conan Exiles.

I  just had never heard of the whole permadeath aspect. It's intriguing. However, given how often I have died in Conan Exiles I do think it could be tedious.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BraceLeadBraceLead Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    The Walking Dead: The Game
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited May 2019
    empyrion is pretty good to, if you like space games. you craft your own space ships and can go to other planets, also build space stations, and capital vassels to carry other ships.