Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO was unfortunately a waste of money (PC Review)

skiidzmanskiidzman Member UncommonPosts: 28
edited May 2019 in Elder Scrolls Online
Honestly,

(PC REVIEW)

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game two months ago (typo fixed due to obvious out-rage at typo) after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you can expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  IF YOU WANT to be a damage dealer in this game prepare yourself for mind-numbing rotations. If you want to be relevant, you have to do this.  Its not fun doing max dps, its actually a good way to get carpal tunnel.  Most people I know used a macro to do it for them just because it was too much.

The BUGS in-game are horrendous.  I've made ticket after ticket and the support literally closes the tickets and tells me to go post in the bug forums.  I've had 3 posts in the bug forums about issues which are replicated by MANY and no response from Zenimax staff.  Not to mention the forums are over-crowded with ESO Fan Boys who tell you bugs aren't a big deal.  There doesn't appear to be any professional support system for the game at all ... which is scary ... as it has quite the price tag.

The PvP is honestly terrible.  Battlegrounds are just people mindlessly running around mashing button and the time-to-kill (how quickly you can kill someone) is very very quick.  I could one shot many folks, and I did repeatedly.  I also got one shot repeatedly myself, so if you are looking for a skill based game... this isn't it sadly.

Finally, I did the open world PvP (non-champion level) with a very nice build.  I had capped resists and impen on every piece of my armor.  I was sitting at 33K resists in combat and guess what? You still get one shot.  You have no time to react, even when dodging, or blocking.  You will see someone... and either you instantly kill them or they instantly kill you.  Everyone builds pure DPS.  Being a healer in PvP just ain't a thing, or a tank.

Just take my advice... if you wanna PvP don't buy this game.  If you like really difficult PvE content... it may keep your attention for a month or two.  That's about it.  It's not Dark Ages of Camelot and its not Everquest by any means. 

The Elsweyr expansion had a cool starting area... but its almost a joke.  The entire expansion area is super small.  When you open your map by pressing "M" you will see a dragon that flys around that people can kill.  When it dies... guess what... the same dragon spawns and flys around again... so you can kill it... again ... and again... and that is it.  There is like 5 new sets of armor which are pretty basic.  It's a joke really I am super disappointed in the entire game.  My personal opinion is the developers are milking it for money at this point.  I think its a game suited more for young kids, 10-15 age range.

Best of luck.

Post edited by skiidzman on
[Deleted User][Deleted User]NephethMikehaSephrosPsYcHoGBRkertinDvoragunklackerbcbullyand 3 others.

Comments

• skiidzmanskiidzman Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited May 2019
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  

The BUGS in-game are horrendous.  I've made ticket after ticket and the support literally closes the tickets and tells me to go post in the bug forums.  I've had 3 posts in the bug forums about issues which are replicated by MANY and no response from Zenimax staff.  Not to mention the forums are over-crowded with ESO Fan Boys who tell you bugs aren't a big deal.  There doesn't appear to be any professional support system for the game at all ... which is scary ... as it has quite the price tag.

The PvP is honestly terrible.  Battlegrounds are just people mindlessly running around mashing button and the time-to-kill (how quickly you can kill someone) is very very quick.  I could one shot many folks, and I did repeatedly.  I also got one shot repeatedly myself, so if you are looking for a skill based game... this isn't it sadly.

Finally, I did the open world PvP (non-champion level) with a very nice build.  I had capped resists and impen on every piece of my armor.  I was sitting at 33K resists in combat and guess what? You still get one shot.  You have no time to react, even when dodging, or blocking.  You will see someone... and either you instantly kill them or they instantly kill you.  Everyone builds pure DPS.  Being a healer in PvP just ain't a thing, or a tank.

Just take my advice... if you wanna PvP don't buy this game.  If you like really difficult PvE content... it may keep your attention for a month or two.  That's about it.  It's not Dark Ages of Camelot and its not Everquest by any means. 

The Elsweyr expansion had a cool starting area... but its almost a joke.  The entire expansion area is super small.  When you open your map by pressing "M" you will see a dragon that flys around that people can kill.  When it dies... guess what... the same dragon spawns and flys around again... so you can kill it... again ... and again... and that is it.  There is like 5 new sets of armor which are pretty basic.  It's a joke really I am super disappointed in the entire game.  My personal opinion is the developers are milking it for money at this point.  I think its a game suited more for young kids, 10-15 age range.

Best of luck.

Since your going to repeat your post from another thread I will repeat mine,

This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP. 

Elsweyr is small but so is Summerset and Morrowwind. They just had a massive unexplorable landmass somewhere on there map. So Elsweyr just appears that way. Bigger isn't always better. What they do with the small space is truly special. Not only that but when I fight dragons I have seen a few different ones now. However, there are only 8 so yes odds are your going to fight the same one again at some point.
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/481378/elder-scrolls-online-elsweyr-is-meow-velous-so-far-mmorpg-com/p3#pwDjXAq5hHX0c4mI.99
    I think you are a prime example of what I mentioned.  I'm sorry, but the game isn't that great. The PvP is actually really bad.  I'm sorry if you haven't had the blissful experience of other games back in the day that did it better.  If your version of "competitive" PvP involves taking keeps in 2 minutes before players can get there to defend, 90% of players running cheesy one-shot builds, and overall terrible performance in Cyrodiil (disconnects, lag, load screens during combat, animation cancelling) then you my friend may be confused.  If you want to come here and say something actually rebute something I am saying.  I already know that you cant, though.  You know what I am saying is true.

And yes, I played the game for two months very much.  I played with a top tier guild and did all the trials for gear sets I needed on veteran.  I then did tons of PvP with a guild specifically for it.  This isn't a post about "woe is me, I got killed" ... this is post about the lack of competitive gameplay.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  IF YOU WANT to be a damage dealer in this game prepare yourself for mind-numbing rotations. If you want to be relevant, you have to do this.  Its not fun doing max dps, its actually a good way to get carpal tunnel.  Most people I know used a macro to do it for them just because it was too much.

Best of luck.

If you thought you would find something different than a bunch of ESO Fan Bois here...you were wrong.
    gunklacker
    edited May 2019
    Horusra said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  IF YOU WANT to be a damage dealer in this game prepare yourself for mind-numbing rotations. If you want to be relevant, you have to do this.  Its not fun doing max dps, its actually a good way to get carpal tunnel.  Most people I know used a macro to do it for them just because it was too much.

Best of luck.

If you thought you would find something different than a bunch of ESO Fan Bois here...you were wrong.
    I just came here to post a review honestly in hopes to save some folks money.  It's a good game for a month or two, but I can't bear myself to play it any longer unfortunately.  My friends all lost interest equally around the same time.  ESO has good reviews because of its PvE and quests which are in general interesting if you like lore.  If that is your thing, and you love PvE'ing till you drop, then sure you might get something out of it.  It's for certain not a PvP game and if anyone has real questions about it PM me and I will tell you the details. 
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    skiidzman said:
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  

Best of luck.

This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP. 

Elsweyr is small but so is Summerset and Morrowwind. They just had a massive unexplorable landmass somewhere on there map. So Elsweyr just appears that way. Bigger isn't always better. What they do with the small space is truly special. Not only that but when I fight dragons I have seen a few different ones now. However, there are only 8 so yes odds are your going to fight the same one again at some point.
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/481378/elder-scrolls-online-elsweyr-is-meow-velous-so-far-mmorpg-com/p3#pwDjXAq5hHX0c4mI.99
    I think you are a prime example of what I mentioned.  I'm sorry, but the game isn't that great. The PvP is actually really bad.  I'm sorry if you haven't had the blissful experience of other games back in the day that did it better.  If your version of "competitive" PvP involves taking keeps in 2 minutes before players can get there to defend, 90% of players running cheesy one-shot builds, and overall terrible performance in Cyrodiil (disconnects, lag, load screens during combat, animation cancelling) then you my friend may be confused.  If you want to come here and say something actually rebute something I am saying.  I already know that you cant, though.  You know what I am saying is true.

And yes, I played the game for two months very much.  I played with a top tier guild and did all the trials for gear sets I needed on veteran.  I then did tons of PvP with a guild specifically for it.  This isn't a post about "woe is me, I got killed" ... this is post about the lack of competitive gameplay.

Ok...LOL...You say you played the game 2 months but yet you say in your original post that you got the game a month ago.....HAHA...I call bullshit....LMAO
    [Deleted User]Sinsai[Deleted User]
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
    edited May 2019
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

Best of luck.

I am not saying the game is perfect and if you followed me on these very forums you would know that I am not even a big fan of the game. I have even called it lackluster before. However, you seem to be making everything worse then it is. I have played the game for about 100 hours now on a single character. A Dragon Knight and I have yet to see any major bug that would get me to throw up my arms and write up a report. Not saying they don't exist, no game is bug free, but I haven't seen anything game breaking or anything that breaks my immersion.

I will admit that build guides can make PVP unfun at times but honestly I have only been one-shot a few times in the few dozen hours I have put into PVP. Believe it or not most people don't look up build guides. I know that the guild I am currently no one has used a build guide and its a guild of 350 people. Most people play the game to play the game. Only 1% of people will actually use a guide to mix max. That is true in every MMO or RPG. I have also never had any disconnect issues, load screens during combat, and very minimal lag on the PC. I don't even have that good of a PC. Many people on these forums can vouch for that because I made a whole thread on my PC build a few times.

Animation Cancelling is something everyone who hates the game brings up. I will admit that I am a little foggy as what this means because I don't really care. Its never bothered me at all. For all i know I could be doing it and not even notice.

Perhaps your playing on a PS4 or Xbox. I have heard that the game plays like crap on those systems. 
    That is fine, but if you haven't experienced load screens, disconnects, or bugs ... my friend ... you just haven't played enough unfortunately. Go to Cyrodiil during peak hours or even during a decent population and you will find some serious dismay.  And yes people do min/max.  I would argue 50% or more attempt to min/max.  Even myself.  And my goal is not to make the game look bad, but to portray how it treated me.  I have had some serious frustration from this game from all of the above.  And no, I am playing on PC.
    skiidzman said:
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

Best of luck.

Ok...LOL...You say you played the game 2 months but yet you say in your original post that you got the game a month ago.....HAHA...I call bullshit....LMAO

Just going to leave this here for you.
    https://imgur.com/a/j401JOV
    edited May 2019
    If you guys want to doubt my play-time, here you go:  

Much more than the guy with 100 hours who is enjoying criticizing my post.  But please, tell me more about how I am wrong or that my information is somehow irrelevant.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

i don't agree with what he posted, thats not my experience at all.. but he said he bought the game a month after he read reviews here etc... not he was playing for a month

for all we know he bought the game 3 months ago which was a month after he read reviews here and decided to take t he plunge.. he played for 2 months sat on it for a month and decided to post

just pointing out that he didnt say he bought it a month ago.. thats not the timeline that was said.
    [Deleted User]skiidzmanPhry
    edited May 2019
    skiidzman said:
    skiidzman said:
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

Best of luck.

Just going to leave this here for you.
    Ok...That just says you last played today?????   LMAO...And you played for 286 Hours in 2 weeks but yet its a bad game?????  HAHAHA....Yep....Bullshit.....And 681 hours on record...WOW...You played alot of a bad game bro.....
    [Deleted User]Xarkogervaise1Sinsai[Deleted User]
    edited May 2019

Ok...That just says you last played today?????   LMAO...And you played for 286 Hours in 2 weeks but yet its a bad game?????  HAHAHA....Yep....Bullshit.....

Yes I played the game seriously. Today was the day I finally decided to say the heck with the game and came to write a review. That's why I feel competent enough to write a review about it.  Sorry you don't like my review, or maybe you prefer reviews from folks who barely play games?  I got it.  That must be it!

It's obvious you are a younger person.  But I do find it hilarious that you are upset that a person who played a lot of what a game had to offer wrote a review about it.  Ha.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    skiidzman said:

Ok...That just says you last played today?????   LMAO...And you played for 286 Hours in 2 weeks but yet its a bad game?????  HAHAHA....Yep....Bullshit.....

Yes I played the game seriously. Today was the day I finally decided to say the heck with the game and came to write a review. That's why I feel competent enough to write a review about it.  Sorry you don't like my review, or maybe you prefer reviews from folks who barely play games?  I got it.  That must be it!

Told you...Fan Bois….
    gunklacker
    skiidzman said:

It's obvious you are a younger person.  But I do find it hilarious that you are upset that a person who played a lot of what a game had to offer wrote a review about it.  Ha.
    I could care less about any review eccept mine from playing the game personally...I never said i liked the game or didnt like the game....Please show me where i did.....HAHA...I just like callin out bullshit....LOL
    Horusra said:
    skiidzman said:

Told you...Fan Bois….
    Truth.  It's cool though because a lot of people do come to mmorpg.com just to read reviews. They will take what they want from my post.  And as I already stated, its not a terrible game, for an average person I think they will get around two months out of it before they start to say eh, I dunno...

Of course there is tons of role-players in the game who are happy to just .. i dunno .. be an elf.
    skiidzman said:

I could care less about any review eccept mine from playing the game personally...I never said i liked the game or didnt like the game....Please show me where i did.....HAHA...I just like callin out bullshit....LOL
    i noticed you glanced over my previous post with no reply.

I'd hardly say his personal experience is bullshit regardless of if you agree with it or not.

As for the purchase and played time you're calling him out on. he didn't say he bought it a month ago, he said he bought it a month after reading up on it here.

thats contextual. that doesn't mean he bought it a month ago.
    Viper482
    skiidzman said:

Fortunately you haven't called out anything.  You have not posted anything of substance other than proving my point that it takes hours played to know what a game has to offer.
    mbrodie said:

i don't agree with what he posted, thats not my experience at all.. but he said he bought the game a month after he read reviews here etc... not he was playing for a month

for all we know he bought the game 3 months ago which was a month after he read reviews here and decided to take t he plunge.. he played for 2 months sat on it for a month and decided to post

just pointing out that he didnt say he bought it a month ago.. thats not the timeline that was said.

Dude read his first post "  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild"  He did say he BOUGHT it a month ago.....
    mbrodie said:

Dude read his first post "  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild"  He did say he BOUGHT it a month ago.....
    It was a typo, no point in fixing it now with the re-posts.  Obviously I didn't play 600+ hours in a month.
    mbrodie said:

you never had a typo?
    edited May 2019
    skiidzman said:
    mbrodie said:

It was a typo, no point in fixing it now with the re-posts.  Obviously I didn't play 600+ hours in a month.
    Ahhh Now its a Typo....LMAO....And if you played 286 hours in 2 weeks then yes you couls play 600+ hors in 4 weeks.....LMAO
    Elidien said:
    I have played off and on since beta. I have been actively playing since last fall. I have multiple levels 50s, almost 600 CP's.

I have also played MMO's since EQ and DAOC. No MMO is perfect.

The OP and I have played a seriously different game. I have not encountered any major bugs in months. Sure there are some (like the standing on the horse riding bug) but nothing game breaking.

Sure PVP is min/max - it always has been. In DAOC, we called it flavor of the month and not min/max.  But ESO has one of the most robust and enjoyable PVP systems I have played in an MMO. Its the most I have PVP'ed since DAOC.

I think either the OP was too busy trying to be critical to dislike the game or the game simply isn't for him and thats ok.

I personally love it - there is more content than I know what to do with, a great community for the most part, and Elsewyr is really amazing. The zone is on par with other expansions, dragons are random and bring an air of uncertainty to questing, and the story is really well written. I look forward to the year and seeing how it plays out.

Is it perfect? Not at all. But it is one of the best, well-rounded, content rich MMO's on the market. 

Just my opinion.

I also sub and play on PC.
    congrats man.. i recently hit my 600 CP during the xp event that just finished!
    [Deleted User]klash2defHyperpsycrow
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I disagree with everything in the OPs post, from the title, all the way down to "best of luck" (ESO takes skill not luck) ;)

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

skiidzman said:
    mbrodie said:

Ahhh Now its a Typo....LMAO....And if you played 286 hours in 2 weeks then yes you couls play 600+ hors in 4 weeks.....LMAO
    no he couldnt... 681 hours means he would have been having to play almost 23 hours a day for 30 days non stop....

you need to chill, you literally read like you're frothing at the mouth.

It's ok if he doesn't like the game.
    edited May 2019
    Elidien said:
    I have played off and on since beta. I have been actively playing since last fall. I have multiple levels 50s, almost 600 CP's.

I have also played MMO's since EQ and DAOC. No MMO is perfect.

The OP and I have played a seriously different game. I have not encountered any major bugs in months. Sure there are some (like the standing on the horse riding bug) but nothing game breaking.

Sure PVP is min/max - it always has been. In DAOC, we called it flavor of the month and not min/max.  But ESO has one of the most robust and enjoyable PVP systems I have played in an MMO. Its the most I have PVP'ed since DAOC.

I think either the OP was too busy trying to be critical to dislike the game or the game simply isn't for him and thats ok.

I personally love it - there is more content than I know what to do with, a great community for the most part, and Elsewyr is really amazing. The zone is on par with other expansions, dragons are random and bring an air of uncertainty to questing, and the story is really well written. I look forward to the year and seeing how it plays out.

Is it perfect? Not at all. But it is one of the best, well-rounded, content rich MMO's on the market. 

Just my opinion.

I also sub and play on PC.
    No I think I have made it clear the game isn't for me.  It's nothing like DAOC mechanically.  It looks like they copied new frontiers hell even the bridges look the same.

But in ESO:

- You can take a keep in minutes.  Before help can even arrive.
    - You will experience repeat disconnects, lag, and load screens during prime-time in Cyrodiil.
    - The support system from Zenimax is non-existant, and that is what bugs me the most. They wont even acknowledge issues that affect the game.

You don't pay $60 for a game like this and have no support and blatant bugs.  Don't tell me you haven't experienced the queues for dungeons and BG's bugged, or animation glitches with weapons repeatedly.  It's happening to all the folks I play with.

mmolouNepheth
    mbrodie said:
    skiidzman said:
    mbrodie said:

no he couldnt... 681 hours means he would have been having to play almost 23 hours a day for 30 days non stop....

you need to chill, you literally read like you're frothing at the mouth.

It's ok if he doesn't like the game.
    Ok click his link man.....It says he played 286 hours in 2 weeks.......LMAO....Now think about 4 weeks....So....If he played 286 hours in 2 weeks thats how much a day....Think about it
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    skiidzman said:

Fortunately you haven't called out anything.  You have not posted anything of substance other than proving my point that it takes hours played to know what a game has to offer.
    To be fair I wouldn't take your thoughts on the game to heart for one reason. No game should be played how you played it. Played that many hours in that short of a time span is insane. You burned yourself out but you will never admit that. You'll probably just say that if a game is good than you should be able to play that many hours without getting bored. I could do it with EQ.
    thats a fair comment.. 11 hours a day to be considered burn out material. especially when it's 2 months straight and you're continually pushing content