Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer gaming helped kill the book industry

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
Well, at least for me.

Ever since I was a boy I used to read a lot, comics, short stories and then ever larger novels and book series.  I still have a big box of paper back novels, several hundred "keepers" which I thought I would re-read one day.

Except it's been 5 years or more since reading any book, and 20 years since doing so with any frequency. 

Computer gaming is a large reason for the decline, I never was much of a TV watcher so reading was my primary entertainment.

While playing single player computer games since 1988, I still found time to read a lot, as they were pretty easy to set aside for other activities.

Online MMORPGS for me started in 2002, and here is when my reading dropped way down.  I now found my self furiously logging in every night to "keep up" with others, so the only time I read books was at lunch or in the loo, so the number dropped way off.

Enter the Smart phone and that pretty much brought all book reading to a halt as I spend my lunches walking and posting on forums rather than sitting by the pond and reading. (Is OK, they closed off access to the pond due to EPA restrictions. ;)

Anyone feel either of these two factors impacted the amount of time spent reading, particularly longer books and novels?

Oh, single people need not apply, we know you have all sorts of free time to devote on entertainment. 

For we married with children types carving out a few free hours a day for ourselves often meant forgoing something non essential, like sleep in my case, you'd be surprised on how little you can live on with proper "training."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

BruceYeeAmatheJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]ScotViper482alkarionlogCaffynated

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Well, at least for me.

Ever since I was a boy I used to read a lot, comics, short stories and then ever larger novels and book series.  I still have a big box of paper back novels, several hundred "keepers" which I thought I would re-read one day.

Except it's been 5 years or more since reading any book, and 20 years since doing so with any frequency. 

Computer gaming is a large reason for the decline, I never was much of a TV watcher so reading was my primary entertainment.

While playing single player computer games since 1988, I still found time to read a lot, as they were pretty easy to set aside for other activities.

Online MMORPGS for me started in 2002, and here is when my reading dropped way down.  I now found my self furiously logging in every night to "keep up" with others, so the only time I read books was at lunch or in the loo, so the number dropped way off.

Enter the Smart phone and that pretty much brought all book reading to a halt as I spend my lunches walking and posting on forums rather than sitting by the pond and reading. (Is OK, they closed off access to the pond due to EPA restrictions. ;)

Anyone feel either of these two factors impacted the amount of time spent reading, particularly longer books and novels?

Oh, single people need not apply, we know you have all sorts of free time to devote on entertainment. 

For we married with children types carving out a few free hours a day for ourselves often meant forgoing something non essential, like sleep in my case, you'd be surprised on how little you can live on with proper "training."

I have the same problem. Except in my case there is also a heavy burnout still from my days at Uni studying Literature and needing to read about 3 books a week. That kinda killed the fun for me.

I can still dabble in comics though, my Ipad gets used for that almost exclusively and my digital collection has well passed the 1000 mark.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Ya,I used to read alot more too, I still pick up a book here and there. Gaming definatly has changed how much I read, but price of books today also plays a part, a paperback sci fi or fantasy book that used to cost 3.95 or so now costs 10. 95, and I am not as willing to take a chance on the book not being anygood at the higher price.
    KyleranUngood

Godz of War I call Thee

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    I often listen to audiobooks while playing especially when the game is light on story and big on grind.
    KyleranPhryUngood
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ...I think you grossly overestimate an impact your change of habits had on book industry.
    KyleranelveonezerocountMrMelGibson
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    MARA, MARA, I say it would look good on a red cap.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2019
    Gdemami said:
    ...I think you grossly overestimate an impact your change of habits had on book industry.
    Always the Edge Lord, you really just can't roll with the spirit of things eh? Must be a lot of fun at parties. 

Might I recommend a good book for you? Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

Appears you may have missed it, probably before your time, they used to offer courses based on it which my employer paid to put me through.

Cheers
    CryomatrixMrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Are you sure it wasn't TV?
    Nilden
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    I can relate a bit, though I was never what I would consider an avid reader. Post-teenage years, my reading was almost exclusively tech related books. Now, those same topics are readily available online in bite-sized chunks specific to what I'm looking for at the moment and its rare that I'll crack open a full-sized book on a topic.

These days, I still make time for comics, and that's something fun I share with my kids. That said, my kids are voracious readers (of actual books!) in their own rites. This despite having access to mobile devices (and Fortnite) and other modern day distractions/temptations that I did not have access to.

So maybe it wasn't just gaming, but the transition period where the internet started to become something more then a curiosity for the general public. I'm sure that anyone who has seen their reading drop off over time has different motivating factors, so definitely an interesting topics to consider.

(and yes, understand that "kill the book industry" is meaning; at a personal level, not literal ;) )

Kyleran

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2019
    Yes and No for me.

I still read quite often- perhaps not as much as in the past but still far above the norm (I average a book or two every month) and I grew up with gaming so its always been there.

What  has happened - Not as a result of computer gaming but of tech in general- Is that I listen to a ton more audiobooks, college lectures and other such audio while playing games... In the 80s and 90s audiobooks were very limited and very expensive and 'on demand lectures' and such didnt even exist... You played the games with whatever soundtrack it came with or played music (or the BBC production of LOTR on cassette tape for the 1000th time lol)

The world has opened up greatly with unlimited and on demand media- Those seeking knowledge and to be intellectually stimulated have never had it better if you are able to 'drown out the proverbial noise' in the same way that those who are looking for mindless entertainment 24/7 now have that option as well.
    KyleranCryomatrix
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Nowadays i read digital book more than i play games .
    KyleranSandmanjwOctagon7711
    edited May 2019
    iixviiiix said:
    I tried reading digital books on a Kindle and another one, but just can't get into the medium. 

Even reading them on a computer screen doesn't do it, at the office I routinely print longer reports to read, perhaps so I can use a high lighter on them.  

I dont often read books,  but when I do it has to be in traditional paper format, guess I'm just old school in this area as well.

But no, you can't have my Smart Phone.  It's weird how I can read and type on it all day, but not read longer items.

Can't play games on my phone though, but that's another story.

AlBQuirky

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I read more now than game. But even when i play a game hardcore (for me) i still read 20-30 minutes every night before sleep.

I have always loved reading though...i still have 20-30 boxes of books in my garage i need to give to a library or something. Vast majority of them i have on my (2nd now) Kindle. 

Gonna plug Kindle Unlimited for anyone that loves their kindle and reads a lot...really a lot:P  I read like 10-15 books a month on that...for 10 bucks a month...can not beat that deal. Lot of all types of books there. Was surprised how many new authors i have found that i like through unlimited.

But i am one of the caveman types...do not have a cell phone, at all...only type media i have is my kindle. Almost exclusively play single player games anymore as well, when i do play something.

So for me, reading is something i will never not do. Big part of my life, and always has been, since i was a kid.

For reference 50+ married and no children. And wife is like the opposite. Has phones, and games more than i do. Never reads much except for work.
    Kyleran
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Thats why I look hipster on the underground train while I read a book and everyone is glued to their phones. :) lol
    SovrathKyleranCryomatrix
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If its physical books, then yes, they are in decline, but only because like gaming they have moved to the digital platform, the number of e-readers is large, i have a kindle unlimited sub for my Fire, as does my wife for her ipad using the kindle reader app, the only difference is that now instead of several bookshelves that annoy the hell out of my wife, i have hundreds of books in digital format, this isn't just limited to books, we also have all our movies in digital format we have no need of dvd players or bluray players because they are too limited in how they are used, instead we just stream whatever movies we want to watch, either directly to the TV or to whatever device is most appropriate at the time,  oddly enough though, neither of us has a smartphone  :p
    Kyleran
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2019
    Thats why I look hipster on the underground train while I read a book and everyone is glued to their phones. :) lol
    We have this used book store near us that is nothing short of amazing- Literally hundreds of thousands of books across several floors... The 'horror' section alone is nearly an entire floor and you can find books from recent releases all the way to original copies of 1960's pulp if thats your thing.

They have a 'trade in' program where you get credit for books you bring back to them which places the cost of most books at around $1.00 as long as  you sell them back when you're finished. Hardcovers are between $5- $6 and my wife and I were able to fill 2 giant bookshelves with some really nice books (including a mint condition copy of a 1st edition printing of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia. worth quite a bit of money)

Between that bookstore, Amazon (I actually dont mind reading digital books on a tablet) and audible I have never had so many options for so cheap. In the 90s my entertainment budget was far more than it is today and was also very limited...Audiobooks alone used to cost around $50- $70 and were on very limited shelf space- Now they are around $15 or less and the selection includes almost everything you could want- All  on demand, right now, without leaving home.

I've got to say - We have it really good. I know we bitch about MMORPGs being total shit and a dying genre (and thats mostly true) but outside of MMORPG's our options for everything else have never been this great... I couldnt go back to the old way even though inb many ways I think the world was a better place before it all went digital.

Anyhow, this is a very interesting conversation.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:
    I tried reading digital books on a Kindle and another one, but just can't get into the medium. 

Yeah I only buy "traditional" books.
    gunklacker
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I still like having the traditional book in my hands, on a plain, doctors office waiting room,train, beach or where i am relaxing or waiting.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm not quite sure how I got along before computers....Only read occasionally and wasn't into TV all that much...I guess I just went out and did stuff....Played alot of sports.
    Kyleran
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:

I read a lot, i mean ridiculously a lot, i didn't think kindles would be any good, i thought they would be too expensive and cumbersome. But my first 'kindle' was the e-paper one with a keyboard, unlike notepads it wasn't backlit and you could read it perfectly fine in full sunlight, it wasn't expensive either, it changed my opinion, well that and my wife was getting fed up with my excursions to 2nd hand bookshops that inevitably resulted in my physical book collection reaching critical mass. Now i can't imagine not having my Kindle Fire, though my wife disagrees and thinks her ipad is far better, she's wrong of course, but, we probably read more now than we ever did!
    newbismxKylerangunklackerAlBQuirkySandmanjw
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2019
    Work has detracted a lot from my pleasure reading. My occupation requires me to read all day, every day. When i go home, I no longer feel like reading. Every now and then I go on a reading binge. But those are about nine months apart on average. So in my case, I don't think games or smart phones were factors. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:

I read a lot, i mean ridiculously a lot, i didn't think kindles would be any good, i thought they would be too expensive and cumbersome. But my first 'kindle' was the e-paper one with a keyboard, unlike notepads it wasn't backlit and you could read it perfectly fine in full sunlight, it wasn't expensive either, it changed my opinion, well that and my wife was getting fed up with my excursions to 2nd hand bookshops that inevitably resulted in my physical book collection reaching critical mass. Now i can't imagine not having my Kindle Fire, though my wife disagrees and thinks her ipad is far better, she's wrong of course, but, we probably read more now than we ever did!
    For me, I've tried reading on an electronic device but it never felt right. I'm ok with book collections provided they are "good" books or books I believe I'd read again. Perusing over each one in some ways brings the whole thing alive for me with great memories and might even inspire me to read it again.

I prefer the "idea" of a kindle or similar device because of space issues but the tactile feeling of a traditional book is part of the experience for me.
    KyleranPhry

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:

For me, I've tried reading on an electronic device but it never felt right. I'm ok with book collections provided they are "good" books or books I believe I'd read again. Perusing over each one in some ways brings the whole thing alive for me with great memories and might even inspire me to read it again.

I prefer the "idea" of a kindle or similar device because of space issues but the tactile feeling of a traditional book is part of the experience for me.
    I'm the same. I can't let go of that tradition. My ideal death would be in my library, on a comfortable couch, whiskey in one hand, a cigar in the other, my last book on my lap. I'd feel a sudden pain in my chest, my cigar would drop and set the carpet on fire, then the books, and we will all burn down together. 
    SovrathCryomatrix
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:

Where do you find the time? I only have about 3 hours a night of free time,  usually devoted to gaming but occasionally I have to interact with my wife (children are long gone) or buy something on the internet.

edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    iixviiiix said:

Where do you find the time? I only have about 3 hours a night of free time,  usually devoted to gaming but occasionally I have to interact with my wife (children are long gone) or buy something on the internet.

It's all choices right?

One never finds time, one always has to make time.

For me, I'm very protective of "my time."

I have a rather busy social schedule with friends/girlfriend but i make sure that I get time for myself in order to do my things. Whether that's creative pursuits, reading, watching a particular movie, playing video games, I basically say "this" is when I'm doing it. Case closed.

But again, choices. So, if your job is a work 12 hours a day job then that's a choice. I would never work such a job.

If one has young kids that's another choice. For me, I've never wanted a family except a family of friends.

If one has to commute 2 hours to work each day, that is also a choice. I know a young girl (well she's in her 20's) who just HAD to have a house. However, everything is expensive here so she purchased one up in New Hampshire. Her commute to work is about an hour (if she leaves at 6 am) but going home can be up to 2 hours. 

My commute is a 30 minute walk. I don't live in a house, I live in an old, small apartment in an absolutely awesome area. But old and small.  :(

Phry

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    Well, at least for me.

For me, gaming led to my reading, well ok, reading outside my professional field. I mean, I used to read many a little bit, people would talk about classics and the like, and reading was more an assignment then a joy.

But, when I started with the PnP RPG's like D&D, the books were the lore of the game, they were a part of the whole game experience. They were the world building, the background, the setting of the stage, AKA: The flavor text if you will.

The Books were what brought the game to life in way the players at the table would (or could) not, just like MMO's really.

Sure I sat down every week to play, I was there, and I was ready to game, but reading books, was digging deep into the lore of the game, it functioned as a continuation of my game time and I looked forward to that, as much as I looked forward to playing the game itself. 

I suppose to use an analogy, every week we sat down as a group and ground out content together, akin to say, the Weekly Raid run of MMO's,or the Dungeon Run, but the books, the novels about the rest of the world, the stories of the heroes and villains that had come and gone, those were the whole other part of the game. that was the "Solo World Exploration" of the MMO experience, the vastness of the game world to be explored. The nooks, the easter eggs, the side quests, the little details, the history, and the like.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.